Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

CYHMK in The Fighter
Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: December 27, 2010 07:48

Sorry if someone brought this up already -- just got back from The Fighter, a surprisingly great movie, not too cliched, with 4 phenomenal performances. Anyways, CYHMK is featured in the soundtrack during a training scene. It was great. And the whole soundtrack was pretty awesome. I recommend.

Re: CYHMK in The Fighter
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 28, 2010 02:26

I'm a sucker for a good boxing movie. Or even a bad one. Just rented "Phantom Punch", which is about Sonny Liston. The guy who played Ali was TERRIBLE. Didn't look like him at all. And couldn't fight to save his life! The guy who played Floyd Patterson was pretty good. But he had an easy role. All he had to do was keep falling down.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 28, 2010 03:45

tatters
I'm a sucker for a good boxing movie. Or even a bad one. Just rented "Phantom Punch", which is about Sonny Liston. The guy who played Ali was TERRIBLE. Didn't look like him at all. And couldn't fight to save his life! The guy who played Floyd Patterson was pretty good. But he had an easy role. All he had to do was keep falling down.

Tatters, I'm a boxer and big Ali fan. Curious to see what the film's take is on the "phantom punch". Did Ali hit Liston or did Liston take a dive? I have been told the fix was in, but the slow motion film makes it look like Ali might have hit him. Looking forward to seeing The Fighter.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 28, 2010 03:55

I see Hoffman & De Niro on Letterman giving The Fighter high praise,....
That's a big thingo comin from the Raging Bull .......

ROCKMAN

Date: December 29, 2010 01:41

71Tele
tatters

Tatters, I'm a boxer and big Ali fan. Curious to see what the film's take is on the "phantom punch". Did Ali hit Liston or did Liston take a dive? I have been told the fix was in, but the slow motion film makes it look like Ali might have hit him. Looking forward to seeing The Fighter.

"Phantom Punch"'s take on it is that Ali never hit him. Just in case anyone misses the point, they put in a big "Whoooshing" sound when Ali throws the punch, but there's no sound of any impact. Liston was heavily involved with the Vegas Mafia and they had their money on Ali. It's also clearly implied that Patterson threw his second fight with Liston, their 1963 rematch.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 29, 2010 02:32

Here it is, in slow motion. Liston's head clearly moves in response to Ali's right. I suppose he could have faked it.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-29 02:33 by 71Tele.

Date: December 29, 2010 17:13

71Tele
Here it is, in slow motion. Liston's head clearly moves in response to Ali's right. I suppose he could have faked it.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value=

The camera could not have been in a worse place (which is suspicious in itself, almost as if they had planned it that way, to have Liston "take" the KO punch with his back to the camera so there would be no way to get a good look at it) so we'll never know for sure, but it looks as if Ali, who was never known as a one-punch knockout artist, is throwing the punch while he's backing up, moving away from Liston. It's hard to get any power behind a punch that's thrown while you're backing up. First round KO's are always a little suspicious anyway. It usually means the loser didn't want to be there, wanted to get the hell out of there, get his paycheck, and go home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-30 01:27 by tatters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1948
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home