Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
3 Guitarists
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 6, 2013 14:06

How would it be if The Stones toured with Taylor as well as Woody and Keith? 3 guitars is not unknown to The Stones on tour. Certainly it could expand the set list and allow for more acoustic work as well. Are too many fans hung up on the 2 guitar ideal which in theory is fine yet we're dealing with aging players here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 14:33 by DoomandGloom.

Re: 3 Guitarists
Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: January 6, 2013 14:08

Taylor would play too much and make too much noise

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: January 6, 2013 14:17

DiscoVolante

Either you like the Stones or you don't. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 6, 2013 14:24

First a blues-focused album with the three and then the tour ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 16:27 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 6, 2013 14:30

oh, no. more "personally, I's"

i thought we had rid the site of these...more work to be done.

Date: January 6, 2013 14:33

StonesTod

I edited it.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 6, 2013 14:39

DiscoVolante

Well given the nature of the noise he makes, and in general how well it compliments the noise that Keef n' sir Ron already make, BRING IT ON !

There's bad noise, mediocre noise, and absolutely f***ing orgasmic noise. And three RS guitarists generally bring about the last of those ...........

Meanwhile, I'll just be happy enough with a handful of 2013 shows, if that's what they choose to do. And if they do them WITH Taylor included in the band line-up, all the better. If not, then hey .... at least I can say to myself that I saw the RS with MT five times (I was too young first time round with MT).

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 14:46 by paulywaul.

Date: January 6, 2013 14:42

DoomandGloom
StonesTod

I edited it.

phew. thanks. i couldn't bear starting the morning off like this.

Date: January 6, 2013 14:52

DoomandGloom
StonesTod

I edited it.
Personally I was unaware of the rules. smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 14:53 by DoomandGloom.

Date: January 6, 2013 14:54

paulywaul
DiscoVolante

Well given the nature of the noise he makes, and in general how well it compliments the noise that Keef n' sir Ron already make, BRING IT ON !

There's bad noise, mediocre noise, and absolutely f***ing orgasmic noise. And three RS guitarists generally bring about the last of those ...........

Meanwhile, I'll just be happy enough with a handful of 2013 shows, if that's what they choose to do. And if they do them WITH Taylor included in the band line-up, all the better. If not, then hey .... at least I can say to myself that I saw the RS with MT five times (I was too young first time round with MT).
5 Times???

Date: January 6, 2013 15:02

DoomandGloom
paulywaul
DiscoVolante

5 Times ???

Yes, twice in London and thrice in the States ? Or am I going senile, did he not play at all of those shows ? I think he did ?

Date: January 6, 2013 15:06

paulywaul
DoomandGloom
paulywaul
DiscoVolante

5 Times ???

Yes, twice in London and thrice in the States ? Or am I going senile, did he not play at all of those shows ? I think he did ?
Nope he missed Brooklyn, the show I went to. Ironically MR was the best tune of the night there and no I don't feel gypped but I am curious why he wasn't there.

Date: January 6, 2013 15:42

You're right, he did miss Brooklyn. HELP .... I obviously AM going senile !!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 6, 2013 17:02

Would this lead to 4 guitarists on that bloody "waiting on a friend"?

Date: January 6, 2013 17:28

Munichhilton

what about the bloodier let it bleed?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 6, 2013 17:33

What about the two guitarists behind Keith's amp? Wouldn't that make it five guitarists?

Date: January 6, 2013 17:35

StonesTod
Munichhilton

what about the bloodier let it bleed?

That's Too Much Blood

Date: January 6, 2013 17:36

Munichhilton
yeah there's that. Jagger's guitar playing has never advanced beyond a stage prop. If he could w**ve between guys it would have happened already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 18:04 by DoomandGloom.

Date: January 6, 2013 17:37

Stoneage
What about the two guitarists behind Keith's amp? Wouldn't that make it five guitarists?

dammit. we're gonna need a scorecard and a abacus now.

Date: January 6, 2013 17:39

DoomandGloom
Munichhilton
yeah there's that. Jagger's guitar playing has never advanced beyond a stage prop. If he could weave between guys it would have happened already.

i'm sorry. i know i'm getting annoying here, but we have also eliminated any use of the term "weave" on this site. we do appreciate your cooperation.

Date: January 6, 2013 17:42

StonesTod
DoomandGloom
Munichhilton
yeah there's that. Jagger's guitar playing has never advanced beyond a stage prop. If he could weave between guys it would have happened already.

i'm sorry. i know i'm getting annoying here, but we have also eliminated any use of the term "weave" on this site. we do appreciate your cooperation.
Really? Where's the list?

Date: January 6, 2013 17:51

DoomandGloom
StonesTod
DoomandGloom
Munichhilton

please. don't make a scene.

Date: January 6, 2013 18:03

StonesTod
DoomandGloom
StonesTod
DoomandGloom
Munichhilton
yeah there's that. Jagger's guitar playing has never advanced beyond a stage prop. If he could w**ve between guys it would have happened already.

Gotcha.. Fixed...Back to topic... Taylor is not exactly a studio guitarist,in fact he's still appears reckless, after all he's a Stone. I think there's a question about how messy it could get. Taylor used to be a great rhythm player perhaps his skills have deteriorated too? What happened in rehearsals that put him with one song, the same one each night?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 18:05 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 6, 2013 18:20

DoomandGloom
StonesTod
DoomandGloom
StonesTod
DoomandGloom
Munichhilton

Gotcha.. Fixed...Back to topic... Taylor is not exactly a studio guitarist,in fact he's still appears reckless, after all he's a Stone. I think there's a question about how messy it could get. Taylor used to be a great rhythm player perhaps his skills have deteriorated too? What happened in rehearsals that put him with one song, the same one each night?

What rehearsals did he attend, anyway?

Date: January 6, 2013 18:38

Green Lady
DoomandGloom
StonesTod
DoomandGloom
StonesTod
DoomandGloom
Munichhilton

What rehearsals did he attend, anyway?

Well lets see....he attended the 25th and 29th....missed the 8th that rascal...then I believe he rehearsed on the 12th and 15th...he should be just about ready by now.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 6, 2013 18:55

The Stones have had 3 guitarists for many many shows. I would love to see Mick Taylor playing entire sets with the Stones for the 2013 tour but only if he practiced more subtle parts that fit well with what Keith and Ronnie already have worked out.

The days of long, noodling guitar solos have been beat to death and really don't entertain me anymore. It would be GREAT to see one of the 3 guitarists playing an acoustic guitar to really add to the soundscape and provide the top end rhythms that are so obviously present on the records but somehow missing from the live performances. peace

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 6, 2013 21:13

StonesTod
Stoneage

dammit. we're gonna need a scorecard and a abacus now.

That are only the basics and have nothing on the about 25 guitarists of the Eagles on Hotel California, my friend ...

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 6, 2013 21:18

I have said before...it is an intriguing idea with multiple possibilities be it acoustic, electric, slide, lead, rhythm or pedal steel. But ultimately it is probably too much work. Taylor is a loose cannon and rehearsals are necessary, but when he is on stage there is no other guitarist there that plays with the vision, tone and assuredness that he does. For better or worse he is the dominate guitarist on stage. Where he fits in needs to be determined. I was stunned when someone asked what Taylor added to MR. Good grief! Confidence, phrasing! He has something to say, musically. His tone alone raises the sound of the band which I think sounds thin. I am sensitive that many people here like Ronnie. It is a tired argument. But when Taylor was on stage what Ronnie played was rendered irrelevant. That is why rehearsals are necessary for each to find a part. What Keith and Ronnie have already worked out can be dumped as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 6, 2013 21:35

If it were to happen,I think it would be fantastic.I feel there'd be more positives with having MT with them then there would be negatives.But in saying that,if it doesn't happen,I think Ron and MT on a solo project/ tour would be something not to miss.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: January 6, 2013 21:37

Personally I think three electric guitars is almost always a bad idea. I hate the murkiness it's brought to the E Street Band for instance. Two guitars can sound bigger than the sum of their parts, but for whatever reason three don't do that. Skynyrd and the Eagles made it work, but only by working out parts with military precision and having absolutely no improvisation at all. That wouldn't suit the Stones.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1383
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home