Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: what is the "weakest"-selling Stones-Album worldwide?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 28, 2010 20:14

still ill
Doxa
still ill
Very interesting to see the large drop off in UK sales between '65 and '69. I knew from the original album stats that the figures weren't great but Beggars Banquet sales seem incredibly low,especially considering the press and mentions it has got for over forty years.

Yeah, I have also noticed that the miracle change - emphasized in every rock or Stones bio - from the lowest crap top the absolute greatness (SATANIC MAJESTIES->BEGGARS) does not actually correlate with the actual chart success or sales. There is no radical change there. But what is the best - that it didn't matter: the band knew they were hitting jackpot artisticwise, and were not solely looking at the charts and sales.

- Doxa

I'm not sure the Beatles were chasing sales with the White Album but they got them. It still doesn't explain how Beggars,with two of their most iconic songs and coming off of a classic single has,according to these figures,failed to sell in the UK over four decades. There's no answer,but it is baffling to me.

The White Album had the biggest advance sales of any album in history, I think - a record which it held for decades afterwards (maybe still does, I dont know). It was their biggest selling album ever in the US.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 28, 2010 22:31

JUst shows that quality is not the only parameter. When Spice Girls and Lady Gaga can sell more than the best Stones albums!!!!

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 28, 2010 23:28

Why would the nearly 70 year old Rolling Stones want to compete with Lady Ga Ga's and The Spice Girls?

It's amazing that a band that has been in the game as long as the Stones had a #1 album in 2010 and still the biggest touring act in the world fifty years into it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-28 23:28 by James Kirk.

Date: December 29, 2010 00:18

71Tele
Re: Dirty Work.

3.5 million copies sold
About 3.4 million wanted their money back

I´m not one of them, btw winking smiley

Still like One Hit, Fight, Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude, DW, Had It With You and Sleep Tonite.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 29, 2010 01:13

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
Re: Dirty Work.

3.5 million copies sold
About 3.4 million wanted their money back

I´m not one of them, btw winking smiley

Still like One Hit, Fight, Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude, DW, Had It With You and Sleep Tonite.

I know you're not one of them, DP.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 29, 2010 03:37

Gazza, you mean The Beatles? Advance sales. Is that the ol' 'it went gold just on record store orders' before a single copy was sold kind of thing?

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: December 29, 2010 13:43

Gazza: can you tell me please, the direction of that french web site... looks interesting.

Many thanks

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 29, 2010 14:44

Gazza
The White Album had the biggest advance sales of any album in history, I think - a record which it held for decades afterwards (maybe still does, I dont know). It was their biggest selling album ever in the US.

That's interesting. Could it be that after the heralded artistic jackpot of SGT. PEPPER the whole world was like waiting what they will do next. With The Stones regards to BEGGARS BANQUET it was almost the opposite. With SATANIC MAJESIES the Stones were proven to be normal mortals, and it took some time to win the fans back. The Stones couldn't transform themselves convincingly artisticwise solely a "studio band" and keep the thrill on as The Beatles did. Not even with coming up with probably their best album ever. They needed to tour to remain big (= goodbye Brian). Seemingly, The Stones founded a new gear salewise with LET IT BLEED - the American tour, and the attention it got, surely helped to push the album especially in USA. And we should not forget how much Hyde Park concert - and STONES IN THE PARK documentary - did for them in their homeland.

I recall reading that the biggest advance sales The Stones have had was for SATANIC MAJESTIES. For their problems with the law, and all the attention they gathered, there was a some kind of solidarity in the air. It could have been also the case that SGT. PEPPER actually helped the advance sales of SATANIC MAJESTIES. The people were waiting for the Stones' "answer". And never ending up so disappointed...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-29 14:48 by Doxa.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 29, 2010 15:36

skipstone
Gazza, you mean The Beatles? Advance sales. Is that the ol' 'it went gold just on record store orders' before a single copy was sold kind of thing?

Orders placed by members of the public, I would assume...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 29, 2010 15:43

A bagger bing live?

2 1 2 0

Date: December 29, 2010 16:12

georgelicks

Ventes totales mondiales : 169.000.000 albums vendus.

Quote from the article in the link:
[www.reuters.com]

The Rolling Stones, one of the biggest bands in rock'n'roll history with album sales estimated at more than 200 million, embarked on a two-year world tour in 2005 which ended in London last August.

Where / what is the difference btw 169 million and over 200 million?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-29 16:14 by mtaylor.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 29, 2010 16:30

mtaylor
georgelicks

Ventes totales mondiales : 169.000.000 albums vendus.

Quote from the article in the link:
[www.reuters.com]

The Rolling Stones, one of the biggest bands in rock'n'roll history with album sales estimated at more than 200 million, embarked on a two-year world tour in 2005 which ended in London last August.

I've previously heard 220 million. Perhaps double albums are counted 'twice' in the larger total?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 29, 2010 16:55

mtaylor

We're talking about ALBUM sales here, including SINGLES they are over 230-240 million copies sold (170-175m albums + 60-70m singles)

Date: December 29, 2010 17:02

Georgelicks - can you tells us the reason for the difference in sales figures?

I guess it doesn't inlcude sales of singles etc. There is also some differences btw RIAA certifications on US sales and estimated US sales.

I guess I have gotten my answer, thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-29 17:04 by mtaylor.

Date: December 29, 2010 17:18

Why the difference?

Because almost all the sales figures pre-1991 are based on shipments and not copies sold on retail, the Soundscan system used nowadays is only 20 years old and is imposible to get a REAL number prior to that, only speculation.

That's the reason for some BIG chart differences between Billboard and Cashbox in the U.S or NME and Music Week in UK, only for the Stones I can post more than 30 examples of BIG differences for albums and singles.

Thriller for example, how much has it sold?
According to some sources 45 million copies, for other sources 60 million and I've seen numbers close to 100 million too.

Posted by: oldfool ()
Date: December 29, 2010 19:06

Gazza
skipstone

Orders placed by members of the public, I would assume...

Advance sales are what the record stores have ordered.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 28, 2022 12:20

Grrr!, Blue & lonesome and Honk how many copies has sold worldwide?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 28, 2022 14:26

Gazza
Of the studio and live albums, I would have thought 'No Security'.

It absolutely tanked when it came out and charted incredibly poorly. Maybe sales have picked up somewhat since, though.

we must always keep in mind that the markets for pop music were much smaller in the 60s than they were in the 90s onwards. In other words a poorly selling 90s album might easily outsell a big succes from the 60s
(selling a million copies was a huge succes in the 60s, nowadays it's more or less a failure)

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 28, 2022 14:35

mailexile67

See the sales-list here - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 28, 2022 19:54

mailexile67

The regular edition (2 discs) of THE SIMIAN DISASTER has sold 1.4 million world wide - so just over 500,000 albums sold. No idea about the other two editions.

BLUE AND LONESOME has sold 1.8 million copies world wide.

HONK (3 discs) sold 100,000 copies in the UK, so... just over 30,000 were purchased. Have not found world wide info.

It's probably still NO SECURITY but maybe HONK has beaten it.

Date: November 28, 2022 20:09

GasLightStreet
mailexile67

The regular edition (2 discs) of THE SIMIAN DISASTER has sold 1.4 million world wide - so just over 500,000 albums sold. No idea about the other two editions.

HONK (3 discs) sold 100,000 copies in the UK, so... just over 30,000 were purchased. Have not found world wide info.

Your're wrong, Honk has sold 100k in the UK as full album, not each disk separately. The count of double/triple/etc albums is for US certifications only and with albums with a running time of 100 minutes or more.

Blue and Lonesome has sold around 2.3-2.5m worldwide, Grrr! around 1.5m and Honk around 500-750k and that's including streaming points, physical about 200k less.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: November 28, 2022 20:33

Is there a 2022 updated stat on Albums sold?

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 28, 2022 21:44

DrPete
Is there a 2022 updated stat on Albums sold?

Yes, but only in the USA

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: November 29, 2022 01:11

How much profit would the Stones make on a studio album that sold one million copies in the 1990s? If the cds sold for10.00 dollars, what percentage of that would the band get? Seems you could make a lot more money touring for a year and making 150 million

Date: November 29, 2022 07:05

georgelicks
GasLightStreet
mailexile67

Your're wrong, Honk has sold 100k in the UK as full album, not each disk separately. The count of double/triple/etc albums is for US certifications only and with albums with a running time of 100 minutes or more.

Blue and Lonesome has sold around 2.3-2.5m worldwide, Grrr! around 1.5m and Honk around 500-750k and that's including streaming points, physical about 200k less.

Just going by what I found... and figuring a 3 disc set is still being counted as 3 units, not one copy. Didn't realize that was for the US only. It used to be world wide to my understanding.

Date: November 29, 2022 07:07

Taylor1
How much profit would the Stones make on a studio album that sold one million copies in the 1990s? If the cds sold for10.00 dollars, what percentage of that would the band get? Seems you could make a lot more money touring for a year and making 150 million

Probably nothing since a record deal is a loan and the label needs to make what they can. One million world wide would not go into anyone's pockets but the label.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 29, 2022 07:23

GasLightStreet
Taylor1

Probably nothing since a record deal is a loan and the label needs to make what they can. One million world wide would not go into anyone's pockets but the label.

Well and even if the band nets 15 or 20%, I mean how much actually is that worth to them. $2 million? They can make 4 or 5 times that PER SHOW...maybe not 'net' but you get the drift.

Date: November 30, 2022 07:16

Taylor1

It's different now than it was then. Back then, record deals were still just "loans". The Stones didn't see any money from sales until Virgin made all of their money back that they'd invested for the album.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home