Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Heaven
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 28, 2020 18:03

zeppo1
GasLightStreet

Of course there's also the reality that had they finished Start Me Up, the rock version, in 1978 for SOME GIRLS, it sure as hell wouldn't be the one we know.

I was just listening to "Girls, Pills and Powder" and there is a rock version of Start Me Up there that sounds almost the same as the released without the Tattoo You overdubbed vocals.

I was under the impression these were all Some Girls outtakes? Have no idea if this is correct or not, just always thought the basic tracks for the rock version was finished while recording Some Girls.

According to what has been told by Chris Kimsey it is from the 1977 sessions for SOME GIRLS.

Jordy has a version that is the live studio recording (

that is the LP take.

This one is Mick's early runs at vocals, some of which made the LP version (2:16 on there are parts that were kept for the final version), that was most likely done in Paris since he finished the vocals in NYC.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 29, 2020 21:05

Chris Kimsey

Here's the story: [www.soundonsound.com]

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 31, 2020 03:48

Fun read, thx! Love the diagram of the Some Girls recording layout

exilestones

Chris Kimsey

Here's the story: [www.soundonsound.com]

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 31, 2020 16:10

snoopy2

Yes, great story. It's hard to believe that Miss You and Start Me Up we born on the same day.

Date: June 2, 2020 22:29

exilestones
snoopy2

Yes, great story. It's hard to believe that Miss You and Start Me Up we born on the same day.

Can you imagine what was going through Kimsey's head when asked to go through old recordings!!?? Consider what he had just done for SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE - recorded basically 80 some songs, supposedly - and there's no way to know if he even knew what stood out from both album sessions... if Kimsey were to put in 8 hour days going through tapes back to the GOATS HEAD SOUP sessions no wonder it took 3 months just to rough mix and listen. Just curious as to when he started that process (it must've been late June or early July if he finished in September).

Start Me Up stood out to him, I guess, based on that article, because of Miss You. So perhaps he took notes...

There's this little tidbit that's interesting, and as pointed out in the TY Deluxe thread, I think, perhaps they had some ideas all along (even though the story is they didn't):

800900A early September: London, unidentified studio (maybe Island’s Basing St. Studios).
MJ and KR listen to leftovers from the ‘Some Girls’ and ‘Emotional Rescue’-sessions.

No reason to not think Kimsey wasn't there. The last work they did was for the 'clean' version of She's So Cold in April. A month after Mick and Keith going over leftovers in September they're working with Kimsey on TATTOO YOU tracks that included the 1972 and 1975 recordings. A month later Kimsey and Mick work on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES.

What Keith said in 1981 just about the ER sessions:

(T)here's still loads (from those sessions). I mean, we could get another album out of that bunch.
[timeisonourside.com]

Part of what makes Heaven so awesome for me is that they had a lot of really good leftover tracks from just SOME GIRLS alone that could've been used yet they went with Heaven to be on the album. So obviously there was a huge shift in the mind set compared to SG and ER with what the album was going to be. As Mick said, I think it's excellent. But all the things I usually like, it doesn't have. It doesn't have any unity of purpose or place or time.

SG and ER were basically New York City albums with the whole attitudes of punk and disco permeating their essence, TY doesn't really have a place (other than Neighbours).

It's a very interesting period for them.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 23, 2020 13:14

Effect on Jagger's guitar sounds like some sort of flanger.

Anybody knows the model?

Are there other tracks recorded with this effect (not on ER, to my ears)?

C

Posted by: alfstone ()
Date: June 23, 2020 13:44

liddas

Anybody knows the model?

C

A phaser......like the MXR 90 they used an Some Girls and onwards

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 23, 2020 15:54

GasLightStreet
zeppo1
GasLightStreet

Of course there's also the reality that had they finished Start Me Up, the rock version, in 1978 for SOME GIRLS, it sure as hell wouldn't be the one we know.

I was just listening to "Girls, Pills and Powder" and there is a rock version of Start Me Up there that sounds almost the same as the released without the Tattoo You overdubbed vocals.

I was under the impression these were all Some Girls outtakes? Have no idea if this is correct or not, just always thought the basic tracks for the rock version was finished while recording Some Girls.

According to what has been told by Chris Kimsey it is from the 1977 sessions for SOME GIRLS.

Jordy has a version that is the live studio recording (

that is the LP take.

This one is Mick's early runs at vocals, some of which made the LP version (2:16 on there are parts that were kept for the final version), that was most likely done in Paris since he finished the vocals in NYC.

Sounds like the great background vocals were exactly the same as the final track. Funny how they really had a pretty damn good version of the song that didn't make it to an album faster.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 23, 2020 16:36

alfstone
liddas

Anybody knows the model?

C

A phaser......like the MXR 90 they used an Some Girls and onwards

Quite sure it is not a phaser. Better said, with my phaser I wasn't able to get close to the Heaven sound.

C

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 23, 2020 17:09

The vocals are probably done with actual tape flange.

Date: June 23, 2020 18:32

I listened to Heaven yesterday. I've always enjoyed the guitar bit where Mick falls behind and rushes the lick to get it back... pretty funny. For what is seemingly a simple song there's a lot going on in it.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home