Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Heaven question
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 21, 2020 19:04

How would Wyman mistakenly recall that he played bass , percussion, synth,and guitar? And Wyman said in 1981 at the time the song was released he played all those instruments when it was fresh in his mind. . The song sounds a little like the music Wyman composed around that time for the movie Green Ice. It may well be Wyman had no invovement in writing Heaven.But Richards had as much involvement in writing Heaven as Paul MCcartney had in writing Give Peace A Chance.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2020 19:15

DandelionPowderman
I played on Heaven, I played alleged piano on Heaven. That was laid down with just Charlie, Mick and I, I think. I don't think anyone else was in the room. But the session was called for like midnight and Mick and Charlie were the first to arrive and Mick started playing the chord sequence and I sat down at the piano and started following along and next thing I knew it sounded really good. So I told the assistant to roll it and we put some things on it and it sounded very good.

- Chris Kimsey, 1982

From timeisonourside.com

Don't think anyone else was in the room? Somebody played bass.

Date: May 21, 2020 19:46

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
I played on Heaven, I played alleged piano on Heaven. That was laid down with just Charlie, Mick and I, I think. I don't think anyone else was in the room. But the session was called for like midnight and Mick and Charlie were the first to arrive and Mick started playing the chord sequence and I sat down at the piano and started following along and next thing I knew it sounded really good. So I told the assistant to roll it and we put some things on it and it sounded very good.

- Chris Kimsey, 1982

From timeisonourside.com
. So Kimsey is calling Wyman a liar? I think that quote byKimsey is inaccurate. Wyman himself says he played all those instruments.And I’ve seen him listed elsewhere as playing guitar on it

Easy now. Wyman probably added bass, percussion, synth and additional guitar later.

Mick also played guitar. Kimsey played electric piano.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-21 20:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 21, 2020 20:00

[www.youtube.com]

Bill Wyman White Lighting.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 21, 2020 20:25

Seems like Wyman probably overdubbed his parts to a song Jagger was working on. If that's the case, it's a Jagger composition. This leaves it entirely up to Jagger to give credit to whomever he'd like. Richards is obvious because of their understanding. Some songwriters may have felt Wyman contributed enough, Jagger didn't. I once unexpectedly received a songwriting credit for programming drums!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 21, 2020 20:34

It's always been amongst my favorite Keithless Stones tunes. thumbs up
Didn't realize Bill was so involved, but can't really be sure now after reading Kimsey's statement.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 22, 2020 00:33

Nice story never heard it before......now is the question who tells the truth.....I think Bill... don't believe Bill will make this up in back in 1981

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: May 22, 2020 01:05

I only hear one guitar being played and I always assumed it was Mick.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 22, 2020 04:35

I think Bill was probably involved with this, it feels a bit like Nuclear Reactions off Bill's solo album - Bill Wyman 1982

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 22, 2020 05:18

Kimsey is saying the track was laid down without him and then he overdubbed piano. No conflict. Re-read the statements.

++++++++++

Song Facts Says:

Along with "Neighbors," this was one of two songs on Tattoo You recorded specifically for the album. The other tracks started as outtakes for other albums.

Keith Richards doesn't play on this track; their bass player Bill Wyman played guitar and also synthesizer and bass. Mick Jagger also played guitar on the track, and the only other performer was Charlie Watts on drums.

[www.songfacts.com]

Date: May 22, 2020 05:23

Few Stones tracks are as atmospheric as this gauzy, left-field gem; Jagger strums an electric guitar while woozily crooning lines like “Nothing will harm you/Nothing will stand in your way,” over a restrained, bare-bones accompaniment. This fever dream set to music inspired multiple EDM remixes 30 years later.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: May 22, 2020 05:30

"It wasn't all outtakes; some of it was old songs... I had to write lyrics and melodies. A lot of them didn't have anything, which is why they weren't used at the time – because they weren't complete. They were just bits, or they were from early takes".[3] Despite the eclectic nature of the album, the Rolling Stones were able to divide Tattoo You into two distinct halves: a rock and roll side backed with one focusing on ballads.

The earliest songs used for Tattoo You are "Tops" and "Waiting on a Friend". The backing tracks for both songs were cut in late 1972 during the Goats Head Soup (1973) sessions and feature Mick Taylor, not Ronnie Wood, on guitar. Taylor, who was not credited, later demanded and received a share of the album's royalties.

Dating from the Black and Blue sessions are the backing tracks for "Slave" and "Worried About You". They feature Billy Preston on keyboards and Ollie E. Brown on percussion. Wayne Perkins plays the lead guitar on "Worried About You".

The album opens with "Start Me Up", originally rehearsed under the working title "Never Stop" and as a reggae-influenced number in 1978 during the Some Girls sessions, and the balance of it was recorded during these particular sessions in Paris (at Pathé Marconi studios) sessions where the more rock-infused track was recorded. "Black Limousine" was also worked on during these sessions .

The basic tracks for "No Use in Crying", "Neighbours", "Heaven" and "Little T&A" came from the Emotional Rescue sessions.

"Hang Fire" was worked on in both the Some Girls and Emotional Rescue sessions.[4]

The vocal parts for the songs on Tattoo You were overdubbed during sessions in October–November 1980 and April–June 1981.

wiki [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: May 22, 2020 09:40

"Waiting on a Friend"... feature Mick Taylor, not Ronnie Wood, on guitar.

What about Keith Richards? smoking smiley

PS: Wikipedia is not a credible source, as you and I can change what's in there right now, if we feel like it.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 22, 2020 12:02

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Bill Wyman White Lighting.

As a singer, Bill makes a great bassist

Rod

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 22, 2020 12:08

DandelionPowderman

PS: Wikipedia is not a credible source, as you and I can change what's in there right now, if we feel like it.

Actually to me that makes wiki a huge valuable resource. Only the person that owns a website can make a change if he/she feels like it, so if it is wrong then it is wrong forever. On wiki, people make changes/corrections all the time.

Wiki also has checks & balances, if someone is abusing it wiki can detect it, or you can report them, and wiki can/will ban users if putting obvious false info.

It's an encyclopedia of epic proportions, incredibly easy to use, and one can get lost for hours starting w/ one topic, and then clicking link after link on others that are related.

Date: May 22, 2020 12:53

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

Actually to me that makes wiki a huge valuable resource. Only the person that owns a website can make a change if he/she feels like it, so if it is wrong then it is wrong forever. On wiki, people make changes/corrections all the time.

Wiki also has checks & balances, if someone is abusing it wiki can detect it, or you can report them, and wiki can/will ban users if putting obvious false info.

It's an encyclopedia of epic proportions, incredibly easy to use, and one can get lost for hours starting w/ one topic, and then clicking link after link on others that are related.

Yeah, but the problem is that factual information is changed by people with an agenda oftentimes.

My favourite is that Indian Girl was performed during the SW/UJ-tours. Nobody has bothered to correct it yet, methinks smiling smiley

Date: May 22, 2020 15:55

DandelionPowderman

True, but Mick Taylor himself said he played on both. If you don't think he played guitar, there is a bass part as well.

Date: May 22, 2020 16:05

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

True, but Mick Taylor himself said he played on both. If you don't think he played guitar, there is a bass part as well.

And, according to you, an acoustic (although I can't hear it).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 22, 2020 16:34

exilestones
Kimsey is saying the track was laid down without him and then he overdubbed piano. No conflict. Re-read the statements.

++++++++++

Song Facts Says:

Along with "Neighbors," this was one of two songs on Tattoo You recorded specifically for the album. The other tracks started as outtakes for other albums.

Keith Richards doesn't play on this track; their bass player Bill Wyman played guitar and also synthesizer and bass. Mick Jagger also played guitar on the track, and the only other performer was Charlie Watts on drums.

[www.songfacts.com]

Don't quote things that aren't facts. That site is bunk. NOTHING was specifically recorded for TATTOO YOU.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 22, 2020 16:38

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Ringo Starr could've played on it - he's not on the song ie in the mix. If Taylor is heard on Waiting On A Friend I don't hear it.

Date: May 22, 2020 19:50

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

There is an acoustic, it could be Jagger. I'm not the only one that hears it.

Bass could easily be Taylor, as he played bass on over half of Goats Head Soup.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 22, 2020 19:58

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

There is an acoustic, it could be Jagger. I'm not the only one that hears it.

Bass could easily be Taylor, as he played bass on over half of Goats Head Soup.

I always assumed there was an acoustic guitar on it, not because it's audibly obvious, but pretty sure every live version Mick is playing acoustic.

Date: May 22, 2020 20:06

GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Ringo Starr could've played on it - he's not on the song ie in the mix. If Taylor is heard on Waiting On A Friend I don't hear it.

Except Ringo never said: "(There were) two songs on Tattoo You (I played on). One was called Tops and the other was called Waiting on a Friend."

Date: May 22, 2020 20:15

TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Except Ringo never said: "(There were) two songs on Tattoo You (I played on). One was called Tops and the other was called Waiting on a Friend."

He also played on Brown Sugar, but didn't end up on the record.

Date: May 22, 2020 20:52

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

That’s not what his official Facebook said when I asked.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 22, 2020 20:53

So,....HMS was right after all. Tattoo You is a compilation of seventies leftovers...

Date: May 22, 2020 20:56

Stoneage
So,....HMS was right after all. Tattoo You is a compilation of seventies leftovers...

Did people ever debate that?

Date: May 22, 2020 21:21

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

She said what? That Taylor played one of the two electrics or the acoustic on the record. Do you believe that?

Date: May 22, 2020 21:44

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

She said what? That Taylor played one of the two electrics or the acoustic on the record. Do you believe that?

I said I've heard Taylor's parts aren't on the released record and the response was "not true".

I don't know, but I don't see any reason they would not be telling the truth. He's listed on the credits too. It sounds like there are a lot of overdubs, so his guitar might just be the guitar on the right during the verses. There are some stark transitions in that song.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-22 21:45 by TravelinMan.

Date: May 22, 2020 22:02

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

I said I've heard Taylor's parts aren't on the released record and the response was "not true".

I don't know, but I don't see any reason they would not be telling the truth. He's listed on the credits too. It sounds like there are a lot of overdubs, so his guitar might just be the guitar on the right during the verses. There are some stark transitions in that song.

Come on! smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1588
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home