Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Heaven
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 10, 2015 11:43

DandelionPowderman
Forgot about the bells/chimes, thanks.

Is there a real bass in there, or is it a synth?

I would say a real bass.

C

Date: February 10, 2015 11:46

liddas
DandelionPowderman
Forgot about the bells/chimes, thanks.

Is there a real bass in there, or is it a synth?

I would say a real bass.

C

After a couple of spins today, I'd say it's a real bass, too. It's definitely only one guitar in there. I don't think Bill played guitar on Heaven.

Still, "Bell" Wyman played three instruments, like he said grinning smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 10, 2015 12:45

Always liked Heaven and still do.
Really hypnotic,this Heaven.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: February 10, 2015 17:00

liddas
In another thread our DP noted that Bill claims to play the guitar on Heaven.

In fact he is credited on guitar on timeisonourside.

After repeated listens:

- still hear only one guitar
- me thinks that guitar is JAgger

Kimsley: "I played on Heaven, I played alleged piano on Heaven. That was laid down with just Charlie, Mick and I, I think. I don't think anyone else was in the room. But the session was called for like midnight and Mick and Charlie were the first to arrive and Mick started playing the chord sequence and I sat down at the piano and started following along and next thing I knew it sounded really good. So I told the assistant to roll it and we put some things on it and it sounded very good".

So my guess is that Kimsey is right and Bill overdubbed bass and synth.

Your turn.

C

p.s. Whoever is playing the guitar, Heaven is WAY better than Stop Breaking Down. I said it.

Where you got this Kimsley-Quote from? It´s a lovely insight in song making.

Date: February 10, 2015 17:04

"I played on Heaven, I played alleged piano on Heaven. That was laid down with just Charlie, Mick and I, I think. I don't think anyone else was in the room. But the session was called for like midnight and Mick and Charlie were the first to arrive and Mick started playing the chord sequence and I sat down at the piano and started following along and next thing I knew it sounded really good. So I told the assistant to roll it and we put some things on it and it sounded very good".

- Chris Kimsey, 1982

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 15, 2015 02:35

24FPS
PSG
I've always thought that Heaven - No Use In Crying was probably their best back to back track selection.

thumbs upthumbs up

better than rocks off/rip this joint?

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 15, 2015 03:30

One of my favorite tracks. I know I say that a lot!

But it's true. I've always loved this song. It's romantic, sexy, mysterious, haunting... and it doesn't really sound like any other Stones song, in my opinion.

It's also the toughest one for me to play on guitar. Some weird chords I never use make it a challenge.

I've tried to woo the ladies with this song, too. Didn't really work out for me, but it will always be a special favorite.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: September 15, 2015 04:15

caschimann

This is the tape:

"Heaven"
"Fool to Cry"
"Back Door Girl"
"Worried abou you"
"Till the next goodbye"
"Comming Down Again"
"Wild Horses"
"Memory Motel"
"Sweet Black Angel"
"Tops"
"Play with fire"
"Sister Morphine"
"Time waits for no one"
"Angie"
"Moonlight Mile"
"2000 Light Years from home"
"Lady Jane"
"As Tears Goes By"
"Almost hear you sigh"
"Beast of Burden"
"Salt of the earth" (fading out the uptempo ending)
"Indian Girl"
"No expectations"
"Love in Vain"
"Lovin Cup"

A killer.

That tape looks great!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 15, 2015 13:06

Absolutely wonderful song. I'm a huge fan of the entire B-side of Tattoo You, it always amazes me how, so late in their carreer, to could come up with something that at the same time was so Stones and so different and new.
Heaven is one of their best songs ever, on the level of Gimme Shelter, although of course quite different in style. They have the out-of-worldness in common though.
I am suprised to see the guitars were played by Mick Jagger. The rhythmical approach shows he must have picked up a lot from Keith.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 15, 2015 14:45

"Heaven" is the most boring piece of music the Stones ever released on an album. A complete throwaway, I cannot imagine why they lifted it from the can. They rather should have wiped the tape after recording. Awful beyond compare. Keith is not on it, not even overdubbed it, probably because he didnt want to waste his time on stuff like that. Really odd song and oh so boooooring. Such things can only happen when Keith is not in the room.

Date: September 15, 2015 14:49

HMS
"Heaven" is the most boring piece of music the Stones ever released on an album. A complete throwaway, I cannot imagine why they lifted it from the can. They rather should have wiped the tape after recording. Awful beyond compare. Keith is not on it, not even overdubbed it, probably because he didnt want to waste his time on stuff like that. Really odd song and oh so boooooring. Such things can only happen when Keith is not in the room.

Keith probably didn't know about Heaven until it wound up on the album. Just like he didn't know his title was changed to Tattoo YOU.

Seemingly, he paid the price for lack of involvement and initiative...

I like Heaven, though...

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: September 15, 2015 15:05

In my top 10 of favourite tunes. Tattoo You is really Micks masterpiece.

Date: September 15, 2015 15:25

Tops
In my top 10 of favourite tunes. Tattoo You is really Micks masterpiece.

As a singer, yes - definitely!

Tattoo You without Keith would have been... duller...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 15, 2015 15:51

I've loved this tune since day of release.
It rolls along low and steady, and has an echoey atmosphere reminiscent of great dub.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 15, 2015 16:11

HMS

I think that some Keith-tracks after 89 (Thief in the Night, How can I stop) are on par with "Heaven" in their boring-features.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 15, 2015 18:02

FANTASTIC song. One of their very best. Side 2 of Tattoo You is so exquisite. Just unlike any other side they'd put out, back in the day when you would get up and flip a record over! Happy to say, that's an exercise I am more into, having got back into vinyl about 4 years ago! WHY did I ever leave it, and give all my albums away, when I went CD ...

Rod

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 02:56

Played every Christmas morning in my house.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 03:19

custom55
Played every Christmas morning in my house.

that's great. very cool.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 04:15

Related >>> [www.iorr.org]

Heaven question
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 21, 2020 04:01

Heaven is such a great song.Too bad it’s overlooked by a lot of fans.I think it’s unique in the Stone’s song canon since it’s the only song Wyman plays guitar,along with synth and percussion.Which guitar is he playing.And is it reallya Jagger-Wyman composition

Re: Heaven question
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 21, 2020 04:30

I never knew he played guitar on it! It is a Jagger/Richards composition, haven't heard Bill mention anything about co-writing it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 21, 2020 04:35

come to think of it, I play synthesizer and three other
instruments on Heaven on the new album. That's just me,
Mick and Charlie on that track - only nobody realizes it
because there are no credits on the album.

- Bill Wyman, 1981

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 21, 2020 04:38

Sublime. Hadn't heard Wyman co-wrote, also hadn't heard in a long while.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 21, 2020 05:49

Maybe if they do a deluxe they’ll finally include album credits! Unfortunately, they’re probably lost to the ages.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2020 06:56

Rockman

- Bill Wyman, 1981

wow...my mind is blown. I never new this. I agree, great track and I guess maybe that's why it sounds so different to everything else, when the guitar players in a guitar band don't play on the song.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2020 07:14

treaclefingers
Rockman

- Bill Wyman, 1981

wow...my mind is blown. I never new this. I agree, great track and I guess maybe that's why it sounds so different to everything else, when the guitar players in a guitar band don't play on the song.

A fantastic track. And Bill had been playing around with synthesizers for some time. We only think of Bill as a bass player, but he took piano lessons growing up. I love his marimbas on 'Don't Be a Stranger'. I'm surprised they didn't use him more, but maybe he felt he wasn't going to get proper credit, so why bother. Paint It Black, and Jumping Jack Flash should have had Wyman as a composer. Very talented.

Date: May 21, 2020 09:19

I played on Heaven, I played alleged piano on Heaven. That was laid down with just Charlie, Mick and I, I think. I don't think anyone else was in the room. But the session was called for like midnight and Mick and Charlie were the first to arrive and Mick started playing the chord sequence and I sat down at the piano and started following along and next thing I knew it sounded really good. So I told the assistant to roll it and we put some things on it and it sounded very good.

- Chris Kimsey, 1982

From timeisonourside.com

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 21, 2020 13:05

DandelionPowderman
I played on Heaven, I played alleged piano on Heaven. That was laid down with just Charlie, Mick and I, I think. I don't think anyone else was in the room. But the session was called for like midnight and Mick and Charlie were the first to arrive and Mick started playing the chord sequence and I sat down at the piano and started following along and next thing I knew it sounded really good. So I told the assistant to roll it and we put some things on it and it sounded very good.

- Chris Kimsey, 1982

From timeisonourside.com
. So Kimsey is calling Wyman a liar? I think that quote byKimsey is inaccurate. Wyman himself says he played all those instruments.And I’ve seen him listed elsewhere as playing guitar on it

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 21, 2020 14:55

Taylor1
Heaven is such a great song.Too bad it’s overlooked by a lot of fans.I think it’s unique in the Stone’s song canon since it’s the only song Wyman plays guitar,along with synth and percussion.Which guitar is he playing.And is it reallya Jagger-Wyman composition

Agree, I love it. But I don't think it gets overlooked by many, most seem to love it, from what I recall of the track talk.

It's so soothing, it's just great to lay back and take it all in!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 21, 2020 16:00

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman

- Chris Kimsey, 1982

From timeisonourside.com
. So Kimsey is calling Wyman a liar? I think that quote byKimsey is inaccurate. Wyman himself says he played all those instruments.And I’ve seen him listed elsewhere as playing guitar on it

I don't think he's calling him a liar. He just recalls the session differently. Time and chemistry will do that. Lying requires that the false statement be made knowingly.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1500
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home