Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Track Talk: Heaven
Posted by: René ()
Date: December 22, 2010 10:57

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Heaven
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Pathé Marconi Studios, EMI Studios, Boulogne-Billancourt, Paris, France,
October 11 - November 12, 1980 and
Atlantic Studios, New York City, New York, US, April - June 1981

Mick Jagger - vocals, electric guitar, percussion
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass, synthesizer
Chris Kimsey - piano

Smell of you baby, my senses, my senses be praised
Smell of you baby, my senses, my senses be praised
Babe, it’s heaven

Kissing and running, kissing and running away
Kissing and running, kissing and running away
Senses be praised, senses be praised

You’re my saving grace, saving grace

Nothing will harm you
Nothing will stand in your way

Your way, nothing, nothing

Nothing, nothing, nothing
Nothing will stop you
And nothing will stand in your way, your way

No one will harm you
No one will stand in your way
No one will bar you
Nothing will stand in your way
Nothing
There's nothing

Produced by The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Tattoo You” LP
(Rolling Stones Records COC 16052) US, August 18, 1981

Re: Track Talk: Heaven
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 22, 2010 11:00

No Keith and Ronnie? Intressting track..

2 1 2 0

Date: December 22, 2010 11:09

At first I didn't like it, but this one has really grown on me. Very nice track indeed.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 22, 2010 11:21

A strongly recommended track for one of those warm moments with the wife on a cosy evening.

Date: December 22, 2010 11:26

...on a brilliant 'B-side' of a brilliant album, for sure...
Sheer Heaven!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 22, 2010 11:43

This song is wonderful
I have heard that was Bill who played the guitar..................

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 22, 2010 11:55

Heaven, Pathe-Marconi 1980:

I love this track (both outtake and Tattoo-You versions). One of my favourite Mick vocals - simple and haunting and unforced. I enjoy Mick's clever-clever lyrics in other songs, but here's proof of how good a singer he can be without them.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 22, 2010 12:15

Oh my God, I love this track; it gives me chills just thinking about it. Such a deliciously haunting and ethereal gem, it's like being transported to another galaxy. That swirling production and Mick's transcendent vocals hold the listener absolutely spellbound, right from the very first guitar lick. And Charlie, oh man does he sound good on this one!

This is art of the highest order, exhibiting a maturity and confidence that the Stones have rarely matched since. Tripped-out and glorious. A true masterpiece.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-22 12:19 by drewmaster.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 22, 2010 12:28

beautiful! senses be praised indeed

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 22, 2010 13:05

Sounds like John Lennon of 1980, like it but a bit too pastiche.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: December 22, 2010 13:22

Featured in the Vanilla Sky movie, fits in well.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 22, 2010 14:06

Chill out music ............... this was the begining.................perfect to have sex

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 22, 2010 14:51

ULTRA - SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE FOLLOW UP SINGLE TO START ME UP

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 22, 2010 16:57

Green Lady
One of my favourite Mick vocals - simple and haunting and unforced.

but also a bizarre vocal style, as only mick can conceive... and the lyrics are fascinating--suggesting sensual pleasure but also terror. It does make you wish he went for a less literal approach more often.

and did his keithless backing tracks with charlie and bill rather than matt clifford... sigh.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: December 22, 2010 17:18

Heaven is a beautiful example of the full-fledged humanism that seems to completely envelope Tattoo You. I consider both the song and album to be unique in the Stones canon. It's especially effective because it's so unexpected coming from the Stones.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: December 22, 2010 17:21

Great great track, has a sort of "ambient" feel, pretty unique in the Stones' catalog.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 22, 2010 17:36

... hail hail Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-22 17:49 by with sssoul.

Date: December 22, 2010 18:38

and I know it's not really the lyric, but I always hear it as "Kick sand and running away," especially on the repeat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-23 01:54 by cc.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 22, 2010 21:00

It's in the long tradition of experimental Stones songs, from Have You Seen Your Mother Baby and 2000 Light Years through Continental Drift. Keith doesn't appear to be particularly interested in these side trips, although they enhance the status of the band as more than just a rock and roll outfit.

Is that Bill on the subtle synth that creates that 'heaveny' effect? I'm not talking about Mick's voice that sounds like it's being fed through a leslie. I remember reading the inspiration came from a group called Television? No Ronnie on this track, huh? Well, Mick, Bill, & Charlie ain't a bad 'small group' within the Stones.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 22, 2010 22:58

Yes, how is Mick achieving that sound? It's falsetto plus some kind of effect - sort of half-voice-half-instrument - perfect for the feel of the track but really rather strange. Maybe that's why the lyrics are so minimalist - just trying out the effect (whatever it was) as an experiment that turned out, surprisingly, successful enough to be repeated on the finished track.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 22, 2010 23:37

Not a Stones song at all ..........but I love it from the first time I heard it,,,sounds a bit strange to me..can not figure out who wrote it must be MJagger

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 23, 2010 00:38

I've always loved 'Heaven.' I even tried to record it at home and copy some of those sounds... I love the atmospheric thing they had with this, and how well it fits on side 2 of TY. This song often gets a bad rep on this site! It's refreshing to see some appreciation of one of my faves.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 23, 2010 00:44

What a great song. None of us were expecting this when it came out. One of an all too rare breed of surreal, psychedelic Stones experimental songs along with 2000 Light Years From Home, Moonlight Mile, Can You Hear The Music, and Continental Drift. Love it to bits.

Date: December 23, 2010 01:57

24FPS
It's in the long tradition of experimental Stones songs, from Have You Seen Your Mother Baby and 2000 Light Years through Continental Drift. Keith doesn't appear to be particularly interested in these side trips, although they enhance the status of the band as more than just a rock and roll outfit.

agreed on all counts.

Is that Bill on the subtle synth that creates that 'heaveny' effect? I'm not talking about Mick's voice that sounds like it's being fed through a leslie. I remember reading the inspiration came from a group called Television? No Ronnie on this track, huh? Well, Mick, Bill, & Charlie ain't a bad 'small group' within the Stones.

yes on bill's synth. I've never heard that about Television being the inspiration. Doesn't sound anything like them to me--they have lots of lead guitar--but that doesn't mean it's not true.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 23, 2010 06:26

'Moonlight Mile' is another 'small group' within the Stones with fantastic results. Ellington broke his orchestra down into smaller units with interesting results, as did Goodman.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 18, 2014 07:33

I love it, including Mick's guitar on it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 18, 2014 09:08

Good observation about Lennon...Maybe that's why I've always liked this track.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 18, 2014 09:37

I Think it's an Electric Mistress Flanger pedal on Jagger's guitar rather than Bill's or Mr Kimsey's keyboard.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 18, 2014 09:50

cc
24FPS

agreed on all counts.

yes on bill's synth. I've never heard that about Television being the inspiration. Doesn't sound anything like them to me--they have lots of lead guitar--but that doesn't mean it's not true.

Was it Television or could it have been The Talking Heads who had a song called Heaven on their album Fear Of Music?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-18 09:50 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 18, 2014 10:37

cc
and I know it's not really the lyric, but I always hear it as "Kick sand and running away," especially on the repeat.

lol - I didn't know until right now that wasn't the right lyric. I've thought of that line many times at the beach ("Kick sand and running -- kick sand and running away" ) smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-18 22:11 by swiss.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1065
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home