Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

''come on'' 1963 someone got audio or video?
Posted by: OutOfOurHeads ()
Date: December 29, 2012 05:55

7th July: UK TV (ABC) 'Lucky Stars Summer Spin', Birmingham, Alpha Studios.

- Come On (Chuck Berry) -playback

Note: Televised on the 13th July.

i can't find this, i'm pretty sure that maybe someone got it smiling smiley

Re: ''come on'' 1963 someone got audio or video?
Posted by: OutOfOurHeads ()
Date: December 29, 2012 05:55

or maybe was from the 8th September

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 29, 2012 06:53

OutOfOurHeads
or maybe was from the 8th September

No, I think the July 13 date is accurate. James Phelge in his book Nankering With The Rolling Stones talks about the taping of the show mid-way through his memoir on p. 153 while he was still living with the boys at 102 Edith Grove [they moved out that September], and the July broadcast would be in keeping with the promotion of the single when it needed a push just after release.

As for video, this might not be able to be obtained, as the BBC had a habit of "wiping" most of its programs, that is, erasing them by taping over them to save money on buying new film reels, which were something like $90 a reel. They very nearly erased forever the entire series of Monty Python's Flying Circus after its initial run, and if not for the heads-up that Terry Jones received so he could buy the original reels from the BBC, we might never have seen it.

The audio from Thank Your Lucky Stars was just a mime, so it would only be worthwhile to obtain the video, if indeed it still exists.

There is, however, this BBC session of Come On that purportedly dates from September 23, 1963, and differs from the record in that it's played faster and appears to be a live performance and has a guitar and harmonica solo.

And here is a version of the same BBC session, but with enhanced sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-29 06:56 by stonesnow.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: December 29, 2012 14:22

it's August 23 , Ready Steady Go.

Posted by: mitchmitchell ()
Date: December 29, 2012 15:28

That BBC version is actually much better than the original release, but that is one pathetic guitar solo by Keith at 0:50

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-29 15:53 by mitchmitchell.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 29, 2012 15:49

Listening to "come on" again I wonder how influencial that first recorded song by the Rolling Stones must have been to the young english guitar players of 1963. The riff that Keith plays for the intro is completely original. I don't know if Keith was trying to emulate someboby in particular but to me he sounds like nobody else here. Very fast and syncopated riffs that in some way would become the blueprint of the English way of riffing ; Mick Green, Jimmy page, Wilko Johnson and others must have heard that record. The solo that Keith plays is also not typical Chuck Berry although it's a Berry's song. So from the start Keith was all about the riffing and we know that the riff would become his biggest contribution to rock and roll music.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1872
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home