Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones finale June 30th - Glastonbury Festival,...
Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: December 28, 2012 03:25

I don't mean to be mindlessly starting a second, multiple thread, but in this case it seems to be warranted because this has been posted as a response to an item improperly placed in Talk Feedback way back in June, which should relate to BBS operational issues. Also, because the topic seems to be one of those of foremost interest — the probable playout of the Stones remaining gigs.

ORIGINAL POST:

stones will stop after a tour in 2013
Posted by: LERIFFHUMAIN ()
Date: June 20, 2012 19:13

hi everyone,
just saw this in a newspaper in france. For people who can 't read french, ihope that someone could traslate in english !!!!
i really hope that is not true !!!!!
all the best

[www.news-de-stars.com]

LERIFFHUMAIN

XXXXX

Presently, I don't believe that we know the when/where of the beginning of what's next to come tour-wise.

We have seen Coachella Festival 2013, pop up. Assuming some validity there because of its source, we still don't know where that date, April 12th, even if valid, might lie amongst all — beginning, end, somewhere in the middle.

We may know where an end may be planned. LERIFFHUMAIN's post of June 20, 2012 is a pointer of sorts.

What we really need is that black blanket and the circle of chicken blood to get inside of an under, for divining this upcoming itinerary. And, as some predict, this may playout as tour segments as we've seen in the past.

Lastly before I paste in what I'm copying over, some final words of, wisdom? from one of the last people I thought I'd ever be quoting — Rummy.

Donald Rumsfeld:
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

My response to LERIFFHUMAIN:

Here's the relevant paragraphs of your translation thanks to Google Translations

They thought inseparable, but it smells the end for the Rolling Stones. The rock grandpas have indeed planned to separate after a final tour in 2013 (the United States and the United Kingdom - pity for the French) that will culminate in a show in the proper music festival Glastonbury. The information is advanced by the Mirror adds a source close to the band have said: "The four members of the group agreed that next year will be the right time to say goodbye to the public and give the concert of their lives ".

But why Stones separate them? We had come to believe that they live their last moments on stage together. It even became a joke among the public. But everything changed when, in 2010, guitarist Keith Richards's autobiography was published. It read stories on the inglorious frontman Mick Jagger, the guitarist described as "unbearable." Keith Richards mocked even so-called sexual prowess of the singer. "Basically, we are brothers," he told the Daily Express. "I can hit him over, but if someone else does, I will chop off your throat!"

xxxx

But this of course, is taken from elsewhere and now, a bit on the moss grown side —

The Mirror News
Jun 17, 2012

One Glast time... The Rolling Stones set to bow out at Glastonbury Festival

The Rolling Stones are set to bow out in sensational style... with a farewell gig at ­Glastonbury next year.

The band, whose four members have a combined age of 272, will play the ­coveted Sunday night headline slot on the Pyramid stage after talks with festival organisers Michael and Emily Eavis.

It will be their first and only ­performance at the famous Somerset festival which attracts 175,000 fans.

Sources close to the band indicate that the appearance is expected to be the final date in a “handful” of shows in Britain and America in 2013 – which they see as their true 50th anniversary – before they ­finally retire from the live arena.

One insider revealed: “All four members have agreed that next year is the right time to have one final hurrah and put on the gig of their lives.

“It’s a case of now or never, and ­obviously Glastonbury is the most important ­festival on the circuit. Everybody’s incredibly excited... it’s a final bow.”

The band – whose song The Last Time hit No 1 in 1965 – are said to be ­unwilling to embark on another of their record-breaking world tours.

Mick Jagger, 68, says he doesn’t want to be away from his family for so long, and Keith Richards, also 68, has given up the hell-raising lifestyle that was a big part of touring.

Charlie Watts, 71, has never been a fan of life on the road. However, Ronnie Wood, 65, gave a strong hint that the band were preparing a comeback, saying: “It looks like we are going to be doing more stuff.”

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Glastonbury Festival show closing date is June 30, 2013, a Sunday.

"Sold Out" —

Following the ticket sale on Sunday, 7th October, tickets for Glastonbury 2013 have now sold out. There will be a resale of any cancelled tickets in April 2013. Registration has now reopened.
https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/Registration/Register

If you bought tickets, you can check the progress of your ticket order here.
[www.seetickets.com]

www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/

The 2013 line-up will not be announced until much nearer to next year's Festival.

Your comments please. June to December is a lot of time. Have confirming, controverting information? Please do post away.

From the particulars demanded to register, a photograph akin to passport particulars, may just dissuade some. I’m only surprised no DNA sample isn't also required. For this kind of an event!?

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Re: Stones finale June 30th - Glastonbury Festival,...
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: December 28, 2012 03:49

Makes sense.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: December 28, 2012 03:53

Only time will tell if it happens that way but thanks for sharing the info.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 28, 2012 06:31

What are the 9 dates in 2013 prior to Cochella ?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 28, 2012 11:15

If they go back out they'll play through the summer in football stadiums, no way they'll miss the big paydays for outdoor shows in good weather,

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 28, 2012 15:02

I reckon the last dates for The Rolling Stones will be at Wembley Stadium in the summer of 2013. smoking smiley

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: December 28, 2012 15:05

The more I think about this the more I think it is a suitable ending. A massive audience and a massive TV audience.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 28, 2012 15:14

So this is a rumor that emerged last June, was denied, and nothing new since?

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 28, 2012 15:17

I think this may have been the talk at the time, but Keith has repeatedly indicated he'll ride this band into his grave, and I just don't see them ever closing the door officially with a grand exit. If they play Glastonbury or some such summer festival, I highly doubt it will be announced as their last. Family commitments have never stopped them before. Age will eventually end the Stones, and that could be sooner than later, but I suspect there will not be a closing ceremony.

Date: December 28, 2012 15:21

As this "news" are far from confirmed, I suggest to edit the thread title...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 28, 2012 15:41

Tate
I think this may have been the talk at the time, but Keith has repeatedly indicated he'll ride this band into his grave, and I just don't see them ever closing the door officially with a grand exit. If they play Glastonbury or some such summer festival, I highly doubt it will be announced as their last. Family commitments have never stopped them before. Age will eventually end the Stones, and that could be sooner than later, but I suspect there will not be a closing ceremony.

I'd echo that. I suspect The band would call it a day if any one of Mick Keith or Charlie called time . There's no other reason for them ever to announce retirement or a "last" anything.
It's not as though they live and work together in a permenant full time job ! That hasn't been the case since the mid sixties !

They've been semi retired for 30 years already ;^)

I'd like to see them slowly turn full circle, back into the Blues band they started off as. Age would be no barrier to that so long as they remained in reasonsble health.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-28 15:48 by Spud.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 28, 2012 16:20

Tate

Agree. They just want to leave the future open. It would be ridiculous to announce any show or string of shows as the last one(s) and then, one or two years later, a top dollar offer comes in for another handful of shows, and you're all up to do it but you have played the "last show" card already...

Why should the Stones "limit" themselves by announcing any shows as "final"?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 28, 2012 16:32

I can't believe we're discussing a "last show" again, this is beyond ridiculous, they've said repeatedly that they would NEVER play that card. It will be finished the day one of the "core 3" is gone...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 28, 2012 16:40

If we got rid of the ridiculous...the thread count on these pages would be reduced by about 70% ;^)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 28, 2012 16:44

Spud
If we got rid of the ridiculous...the thread count on these pages would be reduced by about 70% ;^)

possibly - but what about the whole "beyond ridiculous" notion?

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 28, 2012 16:58

Keith Richards left the door open to Glastonbury in a recent NME interview, but said they haven't locked anything down that far ahead.

Basically any gig next year could be their last so they are wisely making sure they are all good performances.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 28, 2012 19:02

I certainly do hope they play Glastonbury as I've got a ticket. Whether this would be their last ever showI would think that at this moment in time, even the Stones themselves don;t know which will be their last.

It wouldn;t surprise me if there isn't a last show in the sense of advertising and marketing it as the final show. They are more likely to play a tour and then as normal go home without any decision being made. The liklihood being, in a similar way to many bands, illness and /or death determine which the last show is.

I feel that the band wouldn't like the idea of saying right that;s it after tonight's show lads. They have been Rolling Stones for too long and psychologically I think they would never like to say that's it. It will just happen that way, which is better in my opinion.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 28, 2012 19:19

Spud
That's not a bad idea.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: TomGreen ()
Date: December 28, 2012 20:40

A tip for anyone not aware of how British newspapers work. Whenther they say "a source" it means that the article writer has made up the person (IE the quote) themselves and is pure fabrication.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 28, 2012 22:15

they wont play there.

not enough money involved, and ronald has to make more babies

jeroen

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: December 28, 2012 22:29

I can see a 'tour' being:

Coachella (2 shows on successive weekends in California) April 2013
New Orleans Jazz Fest (which isn't about Jazz) (2 shows on successive weekends) End of April, Beginning of May
Sasquatch - Seattle May 2013
Bonnaroo in Tennessee (one show) June 2013
North By Northeast (two shows) Toronto June 2013

Maybe Lollapalooza in Chicago (one show) August 2013. No long tour, just show up and play to 100,000 people at a time, accross generations.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 28, 2012 22:32

When an article about The Stones starts with "their combined age," I know I don't need to read any further. And this one has a "sources close to the band " and "one insider revealed" in two folowing sentences and a number indicating the age of each band member, whenever his name appears. Geeezzz... Please, be reasonable and don't post this s..t here.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: December 29, 2012 00:40

buffalo7478
I can see a 'tour' being:

Coachella (2 shows on successive weekends in California) April 2013
New Orleans Jazz Fest (which isn't about Jazz) (2 shows on successive weekends) End of April, Beginning of May
Sasquatch - Seattle May 2013
Bonnaroo in Tennessee (one show) June 2013
North By Northeast (two shows) Toronto June 2013

Maybe Lollapalooza in Chicago (one show) August 2013. No long tour, just show up and play to 100,000 people at a time, accross generations.

I can't.

Posted by: justamomentita ()
Date: December 29, 2012 00:45

I hope they do not play any festivals!!
I hope for Arena shows like what they just did....at their own pace in a few select cities in the US and Europe, and then a free concert in Buenos Aires.

Date: December 29, 2012 00:59

trainarollin
What are the 9 dates in 2013 prior to Cochella ?

Trainarollin':

Which 9 dates are you referring to? Some pointer, please. Thanks.

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Date: December 29, 2012 01:12

Rokyfan
So this is a rumor that emerged last June, was denied, and nothing new since?

Rokyfan:

Denied by whom? The named source — Michael and Emily Eavis, the promoters of Glastonbury? Have they recanted or otherwise taken exception to that? Can you provide a link to that item, please?

Thanks.

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Date: December 29, 2012 01:12

StonesTod
Spud

possibly - but what about the whole "beyond ridiculous" notion?

StonesTod, it just hit what you are. You are a modern day Groucho Marx!smileys with beer

Date: December 29, 2012 01:17

DandelionPowderman
As this "news" are far from confirmed, I suggest to edit the thread title...

How about offering something concrete, that's actually controverting? Link(s) please.

Thanks.

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 29, 2012 01:21

BlackHat
The more I think about this the more I think it is a suitable ending. A massive audience and a massive TV audience.

The more I think about this the more I think you are MightyStonesStillRollin50.

Date: December 29, 2012 01:25

gotdablouse
I can't believe we're discussing a "last show" again, this is beyond ridiculous, they've said repeatedly that they would NEVER play that card. It will be finished the day one of the "core 3" is gone...

They played that card at the stage door in 1964 at the T.A.M.I. Show at the Santa Moncia Civic Auditorium. Wyman was touting: "Last tour, last tour." Maybe facetiously at that point in the game for them, but played nonetheless. You know that thing about never doing never,...

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1961
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home