Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Where was Bill?
Posted by: tornandfrayed72 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 19:57

Lots of great moments from last night, but where was Bill? I thought that after his appearance with the band in London, and his contributions to Crossfire Hurricane he would have played on a least a song or two (like Taylor). Any ideas why no Bill at the final show and the PPV?

Re: Where was Bill?
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 19:59

Bill is lost in a canoe somewhere in the mid-Atlantic with but a metal detector for company.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 16, 2012 20:02

That boat joke is worn out now.

I hoped for Bill to appear again.
And if there will be shows in 2013
I would want to see him on a Stones stage again.

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: December 16, 2012 20:03

His negotiations with the RS office went awry.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: December 16, 2012 20:12

Bill W don`t like flying anymore, on his last tour of Europe 1990 he as drivin from place to place some times.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: December 16, 2012 22:01

Let's be realistic! Bill won't fly. He doesn't need the money or publicity. He doesn't seem, from what I have read and heard, to have an ounce of regret at leaving when he did. He made it clear then that endless dates playing the same numbers was not his idea of a good life. He will happily saunter down the road to do a turn in London and bring the kids (as he did at O2) but he won't tour.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 16, 2012 22:08

Lady Jayne
He made it clear then that endless dates playing the same numbers was not his idea of a good life.

Instead his idea is playing the other same numbers endlessly.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: December 16, 2012 22:27

He didn't fit in anymore. He looked awkward and totally out of place in London. It was a relieve to see Darryl coming on stage again. Darryl didn't look out of place, but at home, Darryl has become a true Rolling Stone. It was a nice try with Bill but the Stones sound and performancde has moved on and blended with Darryl and Bill didn't.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 16, 2012 22:59

thabo
He didn't fit in anymore. He looked awkward and totally out of place in London. It was a relieve to see Darryl coming on stage again. Darryl didn't look out of place, but at home, Darryl has become a true Rolling Stone. It was a nice try with Bill but the Stones sound and performancde has moved on and blended with Darryl and Bill didn't.

The only thing that happened when Bill played with them in London was that the Stones sounded 24 times better than with Darryl.

Oh well.....

Mathijs

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: December 16, 2012 23:06

thabo

You must have seen something i haven't.
The Stones with Bill (unfortunately just those 2 songs)
sounded like the Stones with a groove, something i really miss
When daryll plays with them.
Somehow bill's Playing just fits the Stones.
Wish i could say the same about Daryll....

Date: December 16, 2012 23:11

tornandfrayed72
Lots of great moments from last night, but where was Bill? I thought that after his appearance with the band in London, and his contributions to Crossfire Hurricane he would have played on a least a song or two (like Taylor). Any ideas why no Bill at the final show and the PPV?

I would guess he is in Jolly old England. He really has no interest in flying. I look at it like we won the Lotto twice in London. For that I am forever grateful.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 16, 2012 23:13

missed

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 16, 2012 23:17

Bill was the only missing piece from these last shows.

Anyone else notice that Darryl was playing a lot more like Bill on these shows? Even down to using more vintage-style instruments (like a Fender Mustang Bass, favored by Bill). I noticed that his bass lines are sounding more like Bill's tone, and a lot less like the typical rock P-Bass sound Darryl has previously used with the Stones. He was also sticking very closely to Bill's bass line on Satisfaction last night, or maybe he was just mixed a little better and I happened to notice this.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 16, 2012 23:20

Bill Wyman always said that he would play with the Stones in England. For Taylor his time on the stage seemed to be an emotional highlight, I do not not think that those gigs were too important for Wyman.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: December 17, 2012 00:15

thabo

Sorry but I highly disagree. Nothing against Darryl but Bill made a difference in a good way. It was the best HTW I have heard in concert at O2 and I think Bill had a lot to do with it. Who cares what he looks like when you can hear that?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 17, 2012 00:45

Lady Jayne
thabo

Sorry but I highly disagree. Nothing against Darryl but Bill made a difference in a good way. It was the best HTW I have heard in concert at O2 and I think Bill had a lot to do with it. Who cares what he looks like when you can hear that?

thumbs up

Date: December 17, 2012 01:06

71Tele
Bill was the only missing piece from these last shows.

Anyone else notice that Darryl was playing a lot more like Bill on these shows? Even down to using more vintage-style instruments (like a Fender Mustang Bass, favored by Bill). I noticed that his bass lines are sounding more like Bill's tone, and a lot less like the typical rock P-Bass sound Darryl has previously used with the Stones. He was also sticking very closely to Bill's bass line on Satisfaction last night, or maybe he was just mixed a little better and I happened to notice this.

What did you think of his playing on The Last Time?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2012 02:00

Darryl addes NO emotion to the Stones sound. This is going to sound silly but the Original Stones were two Fire Signs (Mick-Leo/Keith-Sag), one Gemini (Charlie) and two Water Signs (Brian-Pisces/Bill-Scorpio). Brian and Bill's sensitivity created a much deeper Stones sound. Darryl is another fire sign, a Sag. There was always a space in a Stones song where Bill would add a well placed note or two and give the song emotional resonance. Darryl does not have these qualities. He's not even that inspired a sideman, like Nicky Hopkins. Darryl has been on three albums and every tour since '94. He has added nothing to their musical legacy. Bill's bass sound is as much the Stones Sound as Keith's riffs and Charlie's snare.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 17, 2012 02:56

24FPS
Darryl addes NO emotion to the Stones sound. This is going to sound silly but the Original Stones were two Fire Signs (Mick-Leo/Keith-Sag), one Gemini (Charlie) and two Water Signs (Brian-Pisces/Bill-Scorpio). Brian and Bill's sensitivity created a much deeper Stones sound. Darryl is another fire sign, a Sag. There was always a space in a Stones song where Bill would add a well placed note or two and give the song emotional resonance. Darryl does not have these qualities. He's not even that inspired a sideman, like Nicky Hopkins. Darryl has been on three albums and every tour since '94. He has added nothing to their musical legacy. Bill's bass sound is as much the Stones Sound as Keith's riffs and Charlie's snare.

Someone is hitting the bong again.

Date: December 17, 2012 03:31

jazzbass
24FPS

Someone is hitting the bong again.

Of course. I live in California. But, there is something to this. The earlier Stones had more sensitivity. It was lost when Brian died, and then Bill picked up the slack. That's one of the main things wrong with their sound; too much rock and not enough roll. Ask Dylan. He knows they're not the same without Wyman.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 17, 2012 05:30

we all know Wyman is the man. but Darryl is his own man and thats cool.

different feel, never tries to 'sound like Bill', although he quotes Bill's lines sometimes, like the end of 'Paint It Black'

Darryl plays for the song and plays with Charlie very well. I don't want to criticize him, and I think Wyman was a great bass player. Its just that the Stones have continued with Darryl and despite all the usual comments ( rock, no roll..Dylan's 'funk band' remark..etc..) Darryl provides strong and imaginative bass playing. just check any comment made by any Stone in any interview regarding Darryl..

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 17, 2012 05:36

He won't fly

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 17, 2012 06:03

A pity Bill wasn't there. I would have loved to see him with the band again. He is a vital element to what made the Stones sound like no other band. For all that though, last night's show was a blast and good fun for me...

Date: December 17, 2012 07:02

duke richardson

different feel, never tries to 'sound like Bill', although he quotes Bill's lines sometimes, like the end of 'Paint It Black'

Darryl plays for the song and plays with Charlie very well. I don't want to criticize him, and I think Wyman was a great bass player. Its just that the Stones have continued with Darryl and despite all the usual comments ( rock, no roll..Dylan's 'funk band' remark..etc..) Darryl provides strong and imaginative bass playing. just check any comment made by any Stone in any interview regarding Darryl..

Actually I don't hear any 'imagination'. Can you make the argument that Darryl brought something new to the Stones in the realm of bass playing? Is there anything distinctive about his style? Does it surprise you that the other Stones are clueless when it comes to the bass sound? Charlie admitted himself he didn't realize how clever Bill was until he had to go back with Darryl to learn some old parts. Mick thought it couldn't be that hard, why he'd just pick it up himself and play. Keith had to bregrudgingly admit Bill was talented in his book. (And don't you think they knew how good he was by the way they tried to keep him when he left?) They didn't know what they had until it was gone.

Posted by: no satisfaction ()
Date: December 17, 2012 13:07

To listen to the studio albums that Bill was pretty good ... When Darryl: even if it is a good musician is a tendency to change the bass lines and to make a personal touchsmiling smiley

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 13:43

I think they didn't want to pay Bill's bill. Besides, why travel to NY for playing just one or 2 songs ?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 17, 2012 14:33

24FPS
duke richardson

Actually I don't hear any 'imagination'. Can you make the argument that Darryl brought something new to the Stones in the realm of bass playing? Is there anything distinctive about his style? Does it surprise you that the other Stones are clueless when it comes to the bass sound? Charlie admitted himself he didn't realize how clever Bill was until he had to go back with Darryl to learn some old parts. Mick thought it couldn't be that hard, why he'd just pick it up himself and play. Keith had to bregrudgingly admit Bill was talented in his book. (And don't you think they knew how good he was by the way they tried to keep him when he left?) They didn't know what they had until it was gone.

I posted my comment about Darryl's playing after listening to the PPV show with earphones...the bass is good and clear, and his sound has always been a different one, and he knows good bass tone and how to get it. The imagination is there in unexpected flourishes throughout the lines he plays.
Don't know if you play bass...I do play bass and have for a long time. And I sure do admire the creative style Bill has.
Darryl has the same creativity ..expressed in a different way.. and isnt just thudding along, if you listen to him..its not the same as Bill, could never be, but its damn good bass playing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1607
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home