Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chris Jagger comments today in front page "Wall Street Journal" article
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 10, 2012 19:50

Re: Chris Jagger comments today in front page "Wall Street Journal" article
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 10, 2012 19:54

Wow...Mr. Franca is definitely a bachelor

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 10, 2012 19:58

Now thats love...Nice read..Thanks for posting..

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 10, 2012 20:17

At least he isn't complaining about ticket prices.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 11, 2012 01:30

The numbers regarding Stones concerts are surprising--578 in the U.S. and 634 in the UK. One would figure it would be the other way around by far because (1) there are way more cities and venues [and fans] in the U.S. and (2) The Stones never venture out of London, certainly in the last 20 or 30 years it seems. You would have thought also that they had played more than 1,738 shows over 50 years, when you think that The Ramones played 2,263 in just 21 years--but then again The Ramones always were perpetually on tour with only weeks off in between.

Another thing I found funny in the article was when Mr. Franca talks about The Stones slowing down, saying "I'm not 70 yet, but at 70, it is time to slow down and rest." I found that funny because he is 63. I mean, is there a big difference there?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 11, 2012 01:38

stonesnow
The numbers regarding Stones concerts are surprising--578 in the U.S. and 634 in the UK. One would figure it would be the other way around by far because (1) there are way more cities and venues [and fans] in the U.S. and (2) The Stones never venture out of London, certainly in the last 20 or 30 years it seems. You would have thought also that they had played more than 1,738 shows over 50 years, when you think that The Ramones played 2,263 in just 21 years--but then again The Ramones always were perpetually on tour with only weeks off in between.

Another thing I found funny in the article was when Mr. Franca talks about The Stones slowing down, saying "I'm not 70 yet, but at 70, it is time to slow down and rest." I found that funny because he is 63. I mean, is there a big difference there?

can be a huge difference depending on the person. my mum turned 70 this year...definitely slowing down.

Date: December 11, 2012 01:49

stonesnow
when you think that The Ramones played 2,263 in just 21 years--but then again The Ramones always were perpetually on tour with only weeks off in between.

KEITH: "We worked our asses off non stop. In three years, at the start, I believe we had two weeks off. I tell that to BB King and he'll say, "That's nothing, I've been doing it for years."

From Stones quotes page >>> [www.angelfire.com]

Date: December 11, 2012 01:55

Title5Take1
stonesnow
when you think that The Ramones played 2,263 in just 21 years--but then again The Ramones always were perpetually on tour with only weeks off in between.

KEITH: "We worked our asses off non stop. In three years, at the start, I believe we had two weeks off. I tell that to BB King and he'll say, "That's nothing, I've been doing it for years."

Oh, I know, The Stones were constantly on the go those first 3 years or so, after which, however, they would have years off between tours, while The Ramones kept up that insane tour schedule--mostly by van--throughout their 21-year career. It just seemed to me like The Stones concert numbers would have been higher, what with all those years behind them. When you attach a concrete number to it, it somehow doesn't seem as high as one would expect.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 11, 2012 03:35

stonesnow

Those numbers are bollocks. It doesn't seem to take into account that in most cases in the early days the band played two shows daily. In some cases they even did three.

The Stones played their 1,000th concert during their 1967 European tour, They've played far more shows in the UK than in the US simply because half of their gigs in their 50 year career took place while Brian Jones was still in the band and they had only toured America five times by that stage (and those were tours which were relatively short by modern day standards).

The 2,000th show was at Twickenham in 2006. So they had played 2,057 by the end of the Bigger Bang tour. The figure as of last Saturday now stands at 2,062 (give or take about four or five, I suppose)

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 11, 2012 03:50

Gazza
stonesnow

Those numbers are bollocks. It doesn't seem to take into account that in most cases in the early days the band played two shows daily. In some cases they even did three.

The Stones played their 1,000th concert during their 1967 European tour, They've played far more shows in the UK than in the US simply because half of their gigs in their 50 year career took place while Brian Jones was still in the band and they had only toured America five times by that stage (and those were tours which were relatively short by modern day standards).

The 2,000th show was at Twickenham in 2006. So they had played 2,057 by the end of the Bigger Bang tour. The figure as of last Saturday now stands at 2,062 (give or take about four or five, I suppose)

Three in one day? Any idea of where & when? I would think that these would have been 50-60 minute shows.

Date: December 11, 2012 04:14

uhbuhgullayew
Gazza
stonesnow

Three in one day? Any idea of where & when? I would think that these would have been 50-60 minute shows.

Up to 1966, it was common for a show to last a half hour or so with only 12 songs in the set list. Of course, some Stones shows were cut short due to rioting.cool smiley

Date: December 11, 2012 04:18

Gazza
stonesnow

Those numbers sound more like it, I knew the total had to be considerably higher. Bit of a let down in one sense though--the article quotes as its source Time Is On Our Side www.timeisonourside.com/ , whose database section always seemed so reliable. But, of course, it is just a fan site....

Date: December 11, 2012 04:42

stonesnow
uhbuhgullayew
Gazza
stonesnow

Up to 1966, it was common for a show to last a half hour or so with only 12 songs in the set list. Of course, some Stones shows were cut short due to rioting.cool smiley

Imagine the bitching about the setlist back then. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 11, 2012 04:57

I was so tired of Miss You in 1967.

Date: December 11, 2012 05:24

uhbuhgullayew
stonesnow
uhbuhgullayew
Gazza
stonesnow

Imagine the bitching about the setlist back then. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Quite right. The R&B purists must have been all up in arms about the new commercial pop hits as they ranted on about the absence of blues covers that made The Stones what they once were, before 1965.

Date: December 11, 2012 06:28

stonesnow
uhbuhgullayew
stonesnow
uhbuhgullayew
Gazza
stonesnow

Quite right. The R&B purists must have been all up in arms about the new commercial pop hits as they ranted on about the absence of blues covers that made The Stones what they once were, before 1965.

December's Children would have been so much better if they would have kept it to only 10 songs. The other stuff was just filler.........

Date: December 11, 2012 06:39

uhbuhgullayew
stonesnow
uhbuhgullayew
stonesnow
uhbuhgullayew
Gazza
stonesnow

December's Children would have been so much better if they would have kept it to only 10 songs. The other stuff was just filler.........

I used to own December's Children on vinyl. Now I have the UK version of Our Of Our Heads on CD, which has the same front cover. I've also got the singles collection The London Years, but I still don't have some of those live tracks. I should be a completist and spring for a new CD copy

Date: December 11, 2012 07:31

stonesnow
Title5Take1
stonesnow

Oh, I know, The Stones were constantly on the go those first 3 years or so, after which, however, they would have years off between tours, while The Ramones kept up that insane tour schedule--mostly by van--throughout their 21-year career. It just seemed to me like The Stones concert numbers would have been higher, what with all those years behind them. When you attach a concrete number to it, it somehow doesn't seem as high as one would expect.

I wasn't disputing you. Just pointing out B.B. King maybe toured as much as the Ramones did.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 11, 2012 07:32

stonesnow
uhbuhgullayew
stonesnow
uhbuhgullayew
stonesnow
uhbuhgullayew
Gazza
stonesnow

I used to own December's Children on vinyl. Now I have the UK version of Our Of Our Heads on CD, which has the same front cover. I've also got the singles collection The London Years, but I still don't have some of those live tracks. I should be a completist and spring for a new CD copy

Don't ever wish for that upon yourself. You like a band that has 50 years of history with all sorts of releases...it never ends.

Stop the insanity! Whew...feel better now.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: December 11, 2012 08:26

Slovenia: Audience of One

Date: December 11, 2012 09:14

treaclefingers
stonesnow
uhbuhgullayew
stonesnow
uhbuhgullayew
stonesnow
uhbuhgullayew
Gazza
stonesnow

Don't ever wish for that upon yourself. You like a band that has 50 years of history with all sorts of releases...it never ends.

Stop the insanity! Whew...feel better now.

Thanks! I feel better too.... I was having a Jekyll and Hyde moment, where I was actually thinking of going out and buying GRRR!, after having railed against it in other posts.... don't know what came over me....

Date: December 11, 2012 09:43

Title5Take1
stonesnow
Title5Take1
stonesnow

I wasn't disputing you. Just pointing out B.B. King maybe toured as much as the Ramones did.

Yes, you're probably right. I missed the B.B. King reference, as I was focused mainly on the first part of the Keith quote. B.B. King certainly has had ample time to have played more shows than The Ramones. I wonder if anyone knows how many total shows he has under his belt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home