Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: NHL 2012-2013
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 20, 2012 01:28

Looks like there will be no hockey playing this season either. But you gotta understand the players, they are true working class heroes. I mean, how are you possibly gonna survive on just a couple of million dollars a year?
If it wasn't forbidden on this forum I would have started a fundraising so that the poor players at least wouldn't starve to death.

Re: OT: NHL 2012-2013
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 20, 2012 02:34

Yeah all those poor European players will now have to go back to Europe and make half of what they could in America.yawning smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 20, 2012 02:40

I have not been folowing this, for anyone else in that boat....
===============================================
[www.milehighhockey.com]

NHL Lockout Sparks First Official Game Cancellations & Staff Changes
by Cheryl Bradley on Sep 19, 2012 3:21 PM MDT

The NHL has announced the official cancellation of games through September 30, 2012, including all pre-season games until October 1. And as Jibs pointed out, this would include the Burgundy/White Game scheduled for Sept. 24.

The National Hockey League announced today the cancellation of the 2012 preseason schedule through Sept. 30. In addition, the 2012 Kraft Hockeyville preseason game, scheduled for Oct. 3 in Belleville, Ontario, has been postponed to 2013.

Season ticket holders across the league have already been contacted by their respective clubs, outlining the return of money already paid for 2012-2013. Some teams have offered APRs up to 5% for those who keep their money with the organization until it is determined when the season will start.

NHL staff have also had their work weeks cut to four days for those who weren't laid off.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 20, 2012 02:59

Stoneage
you gotta understand the players, they are true working class heroes.

Date: September 20, 2012 02:59

sweetcharmedlife
Yeah all those poor European players will now have to go back to Europe and make half of what they could in America.yawning smiley

Well, they are not welcome back. At least not to Elitserien (the highest division in Sweden). Here the season is already on its way and the coaches will not, understandably, make any changes in their teams just for a handful of matches. However if the strike goes on longer they will, perhaps, make an exception.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 20, 2012 03:02

I don't side with either the players or owners. I find it ironic, though, that alot of the stars are now going over to Europe/ Russia to play at alot less salary than they usually make. I would be really mad if I were a player in Europe, only to be bumped from the lineup because an NHL star is coming over to play while the lockout is on. Shouldn't they be carrying picket signs infront of the arenas saying they're locked out like all other workers have to do?

Date: October 24, 2012 02:17

Looks like there will be no playing this year in the NHL. The thing is: You don't hear much complaining from the public overthere. And the players are so rich they can go on strike for decades without getting broke.
Who's the winner in this luxury strike?

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: October 24, 2012 04:47

AK BARS KAZAN

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: October 24, 2012 05:00

DGA35
I don't side with either the players or owners. I find it ironic, though, that alot of the stars are now going over to Europe/ Russia to play at alot less salary than they usually make. I would be really mad if I were a player in Europe, only to be bumped from the lineup because an NHL star is coming over to play while the lockout is on. Shouldn't they be carrying picket signs infront of the arenas saying they're locked out like all other workers have to do?

It's NOT a strike. It's a Lockout and there is a big difference. But in the end, it's still billionaires fighting with millionaires over money.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 24, 2012 08:41

Hi Jazzbass. Yes, I realize it's a lockout and not a strike, hence the reason I say lockout in my quote. I've personally being involved in a lockout before and we carried picket signs saying we were locked out by our employer just like any other union that gets locked out.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 24, 2012 09:08

For the hockey-lovers:

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 24, 2012 13:57

Fu** them!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 24, 2012 16:18

Yes, the lockout continues. The league worked some PR last week making a new offer to the players union. There is still lots of revenue the players want a larger piece than the owners want to give. The negotiations should resume and this ironed out. To forfeit the entire session would be lousy PR for both the owners AND especially the players. Salaries are at high levels right now and even the guys that barely make the roster are getting well paid. The players will get little sympathy from the fans who just want to see great hockey. As a season ticket holder for many years with the Chicago Blackhawks I am happy to be getting money back as each week passes by. Tickets ain't cheap. The season is too long anyway. I really think there will some agreement made in the next 2-4 weeks. Start it up at the end of the year and play a short season. The Winter Classic gets played, and the players are fresher going into the playoffs. Sure there are some guys playing in Europe for beer money and staying in shape. No worries, these contracts are all shorties and if there is a agreement struck they will be on their way back to North America. Let's hope cooler heads prevail and we get some world class hockey back soon.

Date: October 27, 2012 01:28

At last The President of The United States of America, Mr Barack Hussein Obama II, has spoken out about the matter visiting the Jay Leno show the other night.
He urged the players and the owners to sort this matter out and resume the season. He said that they owe this to the fans. Well spoken, Mr President!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 27, 2012 07:27

Stoneage
At last The President of The United States of America, Mr Barack Hussein Obama II, has spoken out about the matter visiting the Jay Leno show the other night.
He urged the players and the owners to sort this matter out and resume the season. He said that they owe this to the fans. Well spoken, Mr President!
If only it were that easy. Greedy bastards can't agree on a deal. The only losers are the few fans who actually still care.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: October 27, 2012 07:39

All the November games have been cancelled and if it continues into the new year think of all the open Arena's the Stones could easily schedule some shows.

Date: November 18, 2012 22:20

Anyone across the pond missing any ice-hockey yet? Or are you doing okey without the NHL overthere? There are some (very few) of the Swedish NHL-players playing in our clubs here. The big aber is not their salaries (some of them would play for nothing) but the insurance costs (several hundred thousand dollars a month). Seems like North America are doing okey without ice-hockey though.

Date: November 19, 2012 04:28

well i blame BETTMAN for all this. this is the second time hockey has been interfered with under his 'leadership'. the guy knows NOTHING about hockey; hell, he thinks places with CACTUSES are good hockey markets. hockey is NOT on the radar in markets like that, they exist only in Bettman's imagination. you're never going to draw in more hockey fans by putting 2 games a week on farking Versus, either. TV coverage is so BAD in teh States my friends there all watch it online. the fan base is there, I think, especially in places like michigan, wisonsin, minnesota and east coast, but the TV support is not - especially when you're competing with baseball and football and NASCAR. and even with hunting and fishing shows! (You're telling me Sunday afternoon hockey isn't grabbing many viewers?? SHOCKING! I can't for the life of me figure out why!!)

15 of Bettman's great 'markets' are failing; four or five went bankrupt. the league he runs has lost $1.5 billion over the past ten years, $500 million in just the last two years.

with Bettman we've seen the NHL's television contract dumped by top tier networks, he lost an entire season to lockout, a first in all of pro sports (2003), expanded the league that now has several struggling franchises and of course the hanging on by a thread Phoenix Coyotes, all the while the NHL has not received any significant increase in viewership in the United States at all

Canadian markets (Hamilton, Quebec City, Kitchener-Waterloo) are ignored

so excuse all of us Bettman, when we say "you have no clue what you're doing

and Bettman who was responsible for the “glowing puck;” possibly the stupidest idea in hockey EVER

and i don't get the owners. one second they are paying someone $13 million a season for eternity, the next minute they are complaining about MONEY. huh?

THEN DONT PAY THAT MUCH

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 19, 2012 04:40

Bettman is just an easy scapegoat. Don't get me wrong, the guy is thoroughly unlikable, but just like most commissioners in professional sports, he works for the owners.

Scott Burnside wrote an article on ESPN.com that puts it best. Especially this part...

"This perception of Bettman as the only thing standing between the fans and hockey utopia suits the public and many corners of the media nicely, especially in Canada, where Bettman is seen as the direct cause of all that ails hockey, not to mention being responsible for hard to clean spots on the rug and acid rain.

Let's be clear about one thing: Bettman may be driving the bus, but he's getting directions on where the bus is headed from the 30 owners who sit behind him on that bus.

That's why this lockout -- which will begin at 12:01 a.m. ET Sunday -- is all on the owners' shoulders even as many choose to heap the blame squarely at Bettman's feet."

Date: November 19, 2012 04:49

Stoneage
Anyone across the pond missing any ice-hockey yet? Or are you doing okey without the NHL overthere? There are some (very few) of the Swedish NHL-players playing in our clubs here. The big aber is not their salaries (some of them would play for nothing) but the insurance costs (several hundred thousand dollars a month). Seems like North America are doing okey without ice-hockey though.

What is an NHL?

Date: November 19, 2012 04:57

oh yeah i agree with that for sure; Bettman is squarely in the owners camp

i mean the owners are directing him

but this clown has to also understand that as the owners want more revenues (from the players pockets) Bettman and the owners have failed to capitalize on all their revenue sources, ALREADY, specifically their TV rights . they have not been able to expand their core audience on the TV side.

Bettman's problem is he's just not likeable. he comes across as condescending and arrogant, but yeah, you can point fingers at the leagues Board of Governors. Bettman basically represents them so yeah he's a bit of a fall guy but i still think if he wanted to, Bettman could’ve convinced the owners it was in their best interest to play the current season and deal with this next year, or a thousand different other options and possibilities . and the owners could just as easily hire someone else to run the NHL since they are the true voice behind eveyrhting that is going on. So is Bettman a replaceable patsy or the mastermind?

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 19, 2012 05:04

Well, he has other duties than just labor disputes, so I don't think his job is to just be a patsy. I think he's the fall guy in this situation though. It's better to have the commissioner be the patsy instead of the owners, because they want the fans to have an outsider to blame, and not the franchise which relies on those fans for income.

The problem is I don't really know where he stands. He might be thinking the same thing as us, but in public has to show solidarity with the owners. Or he could be totally on board with them, hard to tell, since the guy is so full of it.

Date: November 19, 2012 14:16

What about Canada? I know ice-hockey is the number one sport there. Without competition. Why aren't the blue collar fans furious over there?
They are robbed of their true and only sports passion - ice-hockey.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 19, 2012 17:35

I think the owners and the players have about 3 more weeks where they can get this settled and we can have a season start in January. I believe the players are losing the PR battle badly. They are very well paid, taken care of, and won't get any sympathy from fans that spend huge hard earned money for tickets. Bettman as commissioner is there because of the owners. The owners run the teams and the league. Some teams are profitable and some are not. There are teams in the league that could go away or shift to Canada where they would get better attendance. The wealthy players are the big losers here along with the fans. The owners do not rely on hockey as their sole means of income. The players will never make back the money they are currently losing. I believe the players union is developing cracks in their armor. Donald Fehr has led them down a dangerous path. As a season ticket holder I am saving thousands of dollars as each week passes by and games are not getting played. The NHL finished last year in pretty good shape, lots of games on TV and the sport is popular. They would be crazy to throw this season away. The fans won't forgive and forget so easily this time around.

Date: November 19, 2012 17:43

Stoneage
What about Canada? I know ice-hockey is the number one sport there. Without competition. Why aren't the blue collar fans furious over there?

Interesting lack of reply/outrage from IORR Canucks...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-19 17:44 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: November 19, 2012 21:19

Max'sKansasCity
Stoneage

Interesting lack of reply/outrage from IORR Canucks...

Of course they/we are furious. I'm just tired of hearing/talking about it.

For me, I'm focussed on the CFL (Canadian Football League) championship, the 100th Grey Cup, right now instead, as my team, the Toronto Argonauts, are in it. Between that and the big moves the Blue Jays made in the last week, I've just been following other sports. Ice hockey is not our "only sports passion", as Stoneage opined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-19 21:24 by andrewm.

Date: November 19, 2012 23:03

I am done with the NHL.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 19, 2012 23:42

Lack of outrage at the NHL from us Canadians?
(shrug) Pff. Screw the NHL. Canadians have long memories, it was just 8 years ago when we had no season at all. That's probably going to happen again. Strike/lockout - who gives a toss? The Canadian public has very, very little sypathy of patience for this nonsense. But anger? Not worth the energy - we're not like that up here so much.

It actually provides good material for comedy...

And honestly, this lockout has been GREAT for sportsbars hiring musicians smiling smiley

There's still other leagues; ie. OHL hockey... full of players who have something to prove and most certainly are NOT millionaires on skates.
[www.ottawa67s.com]

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: November 20, 2012 01:33

Hockey is a fun sport to watch but it tends to get lost in the shuffle with all the other sports we have in the U.S.. I usually just watch it during the playoffs so I won't lose sleep over a lost season but I thought the whole purpose of going through the nonsense eight years ago was that it would solve the league's problems once and for all. Seems like the problems persist.

Date: December 3, 2012 02:22

So, soon mid-season in the "Elitserien" here in Sweden. With a few NHL-players on the teams. Most are having a vacation or playing in Continental European teams though. How are things in North America: Are you missing NHL ice-hockey at all? Can they really skip a whole season without damaging the sport? What do you think?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home