Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith has been practicing
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: December 1, 2012 21:51

I have seen none of the live concerts in London, but have listened to a lot of the songs that have been on You Tube. While the sound quality has not been ideal, it does appear that his guitar silos have been spot on. They are short, concise, to the point, minimalist, and quite effective. On stage he seems to be really focused. Some of the solos on Shine a Light were not that great. His riffing in London also seems very good. I am trying to be objective about this. For those of you who have seen the Stones live in concert the last few days, would you agree or disagree?

Surely, no one is suggesting that Blondie is lurking in the background in disguise and playing his parts?

Re: Keith has been practicing
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 1, 2012 21:56

I would really like to know what has been going on behind the scenes for the last few months.

Keith got his chops back somehow.

But how?

Someone mentioned Steve Jordan?

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: December 1, 2012 21:56

totally agree, keith reborn!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 1, 2012 21:58

GravityBoy
I would really like to know what has been going on behind the scenes for the last few months.

But how?

Same here. Someone must have mentioned that his usual performance wasn't gonna cut it. I wonder who gave him the nudge? (And how he took it!)

Posted by: salty ()
Date: December 1, 2012 22:04

I think it could be a state of mind thing. I think most adults go through periods of their life where they are not totally with it and going through the motions for one reason or another and other periods when they have got their mojo back and are going about their lives with more passion.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 1, 2012 22:07

WHo knows? I was expecting a disaster from him. But man, Blondie's not even there!

Well done Keith. I'm chomping on crow sandwiches thanks to you.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: December 1, 2012 22:31

I think several aspects could have caused that change and improvement:

-The long break lead to a huge desire to play again and sparked a lot energy
-He's challenging himself again, after he noticed, he lost it over the years, because he is disappointed by himself
-His own pride and will to proof critics wrong and impress naysayers (which depends on how much of the worries of fans he got to now about; something about it was mentioned on rollingstone.com not long ago, so maybe he read it, if it was also in the magazine, or somebody old him). I imagine, sometimes he needs to be 'down in the gutter', with people starting to give him up. I suppose the will to impress everyone by coming back and 'survive', which somehow gives him a feeling of being tough, provides him with the energy to fight.
-He heared, fans were disappointed by his musical decline and inactivity and wants to win them back
-His wish to play with the Stones, but Mick saying, I won't go, if you don't get to a good level again
-He is healthier than before
-Ronnie plays so good now, that he wants to be better, too. I think Ronnies shape is inspirering for Mick, which then started up the whole band and Keith like a bushfire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-01 22:34 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:06

I think Mickmust have said something to him. I think Mick is the only one he would listen to.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:16

I think the years that Patti was sick took the wind out of his sails. Now he's smooth sailing again....

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:48

Sobriety + practice + desire to succeed at this level

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:48

Whatever it is, keep it up!!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:50

chelskeith
Sobriety

good one!

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:54

I would hope he is playing well with those prices.....the fans deserve that!!

Date: December 1, 2012 23:58

birdie
I would hope he is playing well with those prices.....the fans deserve that!!

in hindsight, it's clear his poor playing in prior tours owed to the relatively low price of the tickets. little did we realize at the time...

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: December 2, 2012 00:12

Justin
GravityBoy

But how?

Same here. Someone must have mentioned that his usual performance wasn't gonna cut it. I wonder who gave him the nudge? (And how he took it!)

[www.rollingstone.com]

Keith [Richards] has been playing with Steve Jordan a lot. As you probably know, they've had that thing over the past year where they get together a couple times a week, so he's built his chops back up

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:13

The time when I really noticed the diffeence was in Sympathy when I suddenly heard something that sounded like the old 89/90 style solos mixed in with the original. I was just struck by how great it sounded after cringing in this song s few times on the Licks and ABB tours.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:57

Actually, someone on the Undercover mailing list is suggesting, seriously, that there is a phantom player stashed under the stage or somewhere playing Keith's licks. 99% sure he's serious, too. (I don't post this to lend an ounce of credibility, just to show that nothing is too ridiculous that you can't find someone who believes it).

Date: December 2, 2012 01:59

Rokyfan
Actually, someone on the Undercover mailing list is suggesting, seriously, that there is a phantom player stashed under the stage or somewhere playing Keith's licks.

i suspected this all along. sigh. the jig's up, i guess.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 2, 2012 02:07

sjs12
The time when I really noticed the diffeence was in Sympathy when I suddenly heard something that sounded like the old 89/90 style solos mixed in with the original. I was just struck by how great it sounded after cringing in this song s few times on the Licks and ABB tours.
Sympathy started off with mostly Chuck's keyboard. There was no guitar whatsoever for quite a bit. So it seems to be the bad example.
The two Keith songs were pretty good I thought.
Still worlds apart though from what was staged in the seventies.

Date: December 2, 2012 02:15

StonesTod
Rokyfan
Actually, someone on the Undercover mailing list is suggesting, seriously, that there is a phantom player stashed under the stage or somewhere playing Keith's licks.

The guy's suggestion is not based on knowledge, just on his conclusion that Keith was shot so therefore Pierre or someone must be back there covering for him. People that go for the fake moon landing kind of thing would be intrested.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 2, 2012 02:15

Sure it starts with a keyboard but he played quite a bit in it and of course plays the solos.

The main reason I stopped liking that song on previous tours was the solo so that's why I thought it. Not so much an example but a personal moment.

Date: December 2, 2012 02:22

Rokyfan
StonesTod
Rokyfan

The guy's suggestion is not based on knowledge, just on his conclusion that Keith was shot so therefore Pierre or someone must be back there covering for him. People that go for the fake moon landing kind of thing would be intrested.

who wouldn't be interested?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 2, 2012 02:28

Rokyfan
Actually, someone on the Undercover mailing list is suggesting, seriously, that there is a phantom player stashed under the stage or somewhere playing Keith's licks. 99% sure he's serious, too. (I don't post this to lend an ounce of credibility, just to show that nothing is too ridiculous that you can't find someone who believes it).

(not directed at you Rokyfan but for anyone who wishes to entertain this ridiculous idea of a mystery guitar player helping Keith)

We don't need a phantom player for us to clearly SEE that Keith is playing more rhythm. In addition to that, with all the raw, HD captured footage by fans from different angles throughout the arena we would have noticed a discrepancy with what we hear and see on the screen. There is absolutely no discrepancy. It all matches up. Also, how do we account for Pierre being the mystery guitar player when he is clearly visible walking around behind the stage and also handing Keith his guitars at the start of songs? I don't see Keith checking his back to see if Pierre has run off to his little backroom station ready to play along with him...

Every tour some numbskull wants to suggest that there is someone "in the back" who is really playing guitar for Keith and only a person who has absolutely ZERO knowledge about playing the guitar could suggest that. There is absolutely no way Keith could mime playing a solo while someone else is playing on his behalf. This would imply that every solo Keith plays on every song--each night--is exactly the same to the exact detail. There would be no room for variation since the "phantom guitar player" in the back is prepared to only play what he and Keith rehearsed. It'd be an utter waste of time and a huge pain in the ass to perform this way.

The logistics of arranging something like this is beyond tedious and an utter waste of time to choreography correctly especially with someone as inconsistent and spontaneous as Keith. The person (or people) who want to believe this--deserve it. They're missing out on a rare moment for the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-02 02:31 by Justin.

Date: December 2, 2012 03:10

Justin
Rokyfan

(not directed at you Rokyfan but for anyone who wishes to entertain this ridiculous idea of a mystery guitar player helping Keith)

We don't need a phantom player for us to clearly SEE that Keith is playing more rhythm. In addition to that, with all the raw, HD captured footage by fans from different angles throughout the arena we would have noticed a discrepancy with what we hear and see on the screen. There is absolutely no discrepancy. It all matches up. Also, how do we account for Pierre being the mystery guitar player when he is clearly visible walking around behind the stage and also handing Keith his guitars at the start of songs? I don't see Keith checking his back to see if Pierre has run off to his little backroom station ready to play along with him...

Every tour some numbskull wants to suggest that there is someone "in the back" who is really playing guitar for Keith and only a person who has absolutely ZERO knowledge about playing the guitar could suggest that. There is absolutely no way Keith could mime playing a solo while someone else is playing on his behalf. This would imply that every solo Keith plays on every song--each night--is exactly the same to the exact detail. There would be no room for variation since the "phantom guitar player" in the back is prepared to only play what he and Keith rehearsed. It'd be an utter waste of time and a huge pain in the ass to perform this way.

The logistics of arranging something like this is beyond tedious and an utter waste of time to choreography correctly especially with someone as inconsistent and spontaneous as Keith. The person (or people) who want to believe this--deserve it. They're missing out on a rare moment for the band.

Oh I agree with you 100%. I'm half sorry i repeated the rumor, except to me it's so obviously false.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 2, 2012 03:39

Whale
sjs12
Sympathy started off with mostly Chuck's keyboard. There was no guitar whatsoever for quite a bit. So it seems to be the bad example.
The two Keith songs were pretty good I thought.
Still worlds apart though from what was staged in the seventies.

Yes Like Four Decades !! C'mon,

Posted by: GrandToad ()
Date: December 2, 2012 03:56

Ghost player? Why even post that stuff. There are enough "clams" to prove this theory patently false.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 2, 2012 04:07

Justin
Rokyfan

Yes. The suggestion is just plain silly to those who have seen him play this tour.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: December 2, 2012 05:24

Justin
GravityBoy

But how?

Called it here over a year ago. smiling smiley

TippyToe
Re: Keith News!
Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: October 29, 2011 11:58

I'm thinking maybe Mick told Keith at their meeting last month that he would have to get his chops together if he wants the Stones to tour next year?
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 2, 2012 05:51

keith's reborn as his drinking has lightened up.sounding good!!!

love the riffman!!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 3, 2012 00:55

Justin
Rokyfan

Justin, if there is anybody that would know something about Keith's guitar playing, it would be you...BTW, I have been playing guitar on and off for many years (don't consider myself a brilliant player by any stretch of the imagination-just the usual backroom stuff). Anyway, I went on U Tube and wanted to attempt to find out how to play Midnight Rambler and found (which I am assuming is you) demonstrating the RIGHT way to play Midnight Rambler. I have to say that is the BEST sounding version of that song I have seen. Your instruction of this tune is great, by the way. You nailed it, brother. Nice job.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home