Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I Like Don Was But Is He Right Fit For Stones Going Forward?
Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: December 15, 2010 06:00

skipstone
Who said the Stones are going forward?

Unfortunately the clock on the wall!

Go Saints!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 15, 2010 06:22

duke richardson
how about Tom Waits to produce the new Stones album...! get a real different sound. don't know if he's ever been a producer though.

Finally, an inspired idea! Keith and Tom have already worked together. This would be amazing.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 15, 2010 06:47

Rip This
StonesTod

i've put out nearly as many stones albums as the stones themselves have in the past 20 years.

personally, i don't think the producer is that big of an issue. don was does good work. he doesn't write the songs nor play the songs. neither did jimmy miller nor loog.....

very good point...but remember what Rick Rubin did w/ Wandering Spirit

i've read about it - not sure what the album would have sounded like in the hands of someone else - even don was - i think mick had SOMETHING to do with the finished product....

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: December 15, 2010 09:08

Thing is, that Don Was works very much in the same way as Jimmy Miller did, which they obviously prefer.

Besides that, he is a real fan of the Stones, knowing everything and that about the band, probably more than themselves.

I was totally knocked out on the interview he gave on the Stones In Exile DVD. MAN, that's the right spirit for a fan! He TOTALLY knows what the Stones is all about!

I'll be happy leaving the production to him once again, instead of Jack White, who just 'acts' like a rock persona. He doesn't even know what year Exile came out! Give me a break!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 15, 2010 15:58

Just what has Don Was contributed during his tenure as their producer? It often seems that his main job is to run shuttle diplomacy missions between Jagger and Richards, who aren't in the studio at the same time all that often. Given that new albums seem to be a series of compromises between Jagger and Richards, I don't know how much the choice of producer matters.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 15, 2010 17:18

stonescrow
skipstone

Go Saints!

Ha ha! WHO DAT! I get what you mean but I guess my point was are they really moving forward? They're not doing anything! And what exactly is moving forward for the Stones? Just another tour? Another excuse of an album? Or actually doing something good? Isn't UMe supposed to be a "forward thinking" record label? Is the reissue of Exile with the bonus disc their version of "forward thinking"?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 15, 2010 22:16

Blueranger
Thing is, that Don Was works very much in the same way as Jimmy Miller did, which they obviously prefer.

Besides that, he is a real fan of the Stones, knowing everything and that about the band, probably more than themselves.

I was totally knocked out on the interview he gave on the Stones In Exile DVD. MAN, that's the right spirit for a fan! He TOTALLY knows what the Stones is all about!

I'll be happy leaving the production to him once again, instead of Jack White, who just 'acts' like a rock persona. He doesn't even know what year Exile came out! Give me a break!

But Jack White is a baddass because he's good. Was is still that guy from the dinosour video....Yeah, I know he's produced various artists, but those have tended to be middle-of-the-road, nice, like Bonnie Raitt, who I love - but, IMO, that ain't what the Stones need.
And being such a great fan might be the problem. He's not going to tell anything they don't want to hear...
He's safe, that's all.

Date: December 16, 2010 00:24

stupidguy2
Blueranger

But Jack White is a baddass because he's good. Was is still that guy from the dinosour video....Yeah, I know he's produced various artists, but those have tended to be middle-of-the-road, nice, like Bonnie Raitt, who I love - but, IMO, that ain't what the Stones need.
And being such a great fan might be the problem. He's not going to tell anything they don't want to hear...
He's safe, that's all.

Not knowing what year Exile came out, could actually be a big plus in this type situation. Some one NOT like Don Was who is just dripping with reverence; and someone who would shake things up. Still - I don't think Jack White is a realistic choice at all. The idea of a guy in his twenties sending Jagger home to rework his lyrics shouldn't happen. And if Jagger let it happen there would be something desperate about it. It needs to be someone more their age, but who is not too much in awe. Rick Rubin IMO is great. Tom Waits is great artist but maybe not a producer for a rock band. He produces himself.
That guy D'Angelo did great stuff with the early Kings of Leon.
I could see either Nashville or Britain coming up with a good Stones producer.

Date: December 16, 2010 00:32

How about George Drakoulias
or Fraboni?

Date: December 16, 2010 00:53

skipstone
stonescrow
skipstone

Go Saints!

Ha ha! WHO DAT! I get what you mean but I guess my point was are they really moving forward? They're not doing anything! And what exactly is moving forward for the Stones? Just another tour? Another excuse of an album? Or actually doing something good? Isn't UMe supposed to be a "forward thinking" record label? Is the reissue of Exile with the bonus disc their version of "forward thinking"?

Since they have just about come to the end of the road I am expecting them to put forth their best effort in years. They have always had a flair for dramatic finishes in their concerts so I would expect the same from their final album and final tour. We can argue about the past and wonder what could have been (should they have done this, could they have done that?) but none of that will matter if they can step up to the plate and deliver one final home run. Just hope they get that last at bat.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 16, 2010 00:54

Palace Revolution 2000
stupidguy2
Blueranger

He's safe, that's all.

Not knowing what year Exile came out, could actually be a big plus in this type situation. Some one NOT like Don Was who is just dripping with reverence; and someone who would shake things up. Still - I don't think Jack White is a realistic choice at all. The idea of a guy in his twenties sending Jagger home to rework his lyrics shouldn't happen. And if Jagger let it happen there would be something desperate about it. It needs to be someone more their age, but who is not too much in awe. Rick Rubin IMO is great. Tom Waits is great artist but maybe not a producer for a rock band. He produces himself.

Rubin has always been my choice, but Jagger already worked with him and Mick and Keith will not work with someone the other has worked with...they're silly like that.
Same thing with Steve Jordan - he's got a great feel for feel..but he's a Keith guy.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 16, 2010 01:23

it really doesnt matter who the producer is at this point.the problem is that mick and keith are no longer friends,they have a "working relationship".

they would have to spend alot of time together as a team writing,playing,leaving off a part of a song,adding something else in.listening to a playback,trying again and again and then maybe writing some more.a tall order for two people who would rather be somewhere else.

these days they just get it over with.thats why when you listen to the modern day stones it sounds alright, but thats about it. the plane never leaves the runway.
the songs probably needed about 4 more weeks of studio work.i think don was would stick around but he'd be the only one.

Date: December 16, 2010 01:52

lem motlow
it really doesnt matter who the producer is at this point.the problem is that mick and keith are no longer friends,they have a "working relationship".

they would have to spend alot of time together as a team writing,playing,leaving off a part of a song,adding something else in.listening to a playback,trying again and again and then maybe writing some more.a tall order for two people who would rather be somewhere else.

these days they just get it over with.thats why when you listen to the modern day stones it sounds alright, but thats about it. the plane never leaves the runway.
the songs probably needed about 4 more weeks of studio work.i think don was would stick around but he'd be the only one.

Some excellent points. It certainly wouldn't hurt if these two would be willing to sit down and work things out to the point that they could be close again. Based on what I read in Keith's book it sounds like he would love to restore the friendship to it's original state.

Date: December 16, 2010 03:35

lem motlow

It's not that the songs need more work, it's that they need better songs! These guys have nothing inspiring to write about anymore, sorry to say. They could dig up Sam Phillips or spring Phil Spector from jail and it still wouldn't matter if they had to work on warmed-over turds.

Date: December 16, 2010 03:40

71Tele
lem motlow

It's not that the songs need more work, it's that they need better songs! These guys have nothing inspiring to write about anymore, sorry to say. They could dig up Sam Phillips or spring Phil Spector from jail and it still wouldn't matter if they had to work on warmed-over turds.

i agree and i wished i had said this, too....oh, wait, i did....

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: December 16, 2010 04:14

Palace Revolution 2000
stupidguy2
Blueranger

He's safe, that's all.

Not that it makes much difference, but Jack White is 35.

I like the idea of Jack producing them on paper, but I don't know if the reality would be so great. He has a pretty distinctive sound, which I like, but not as much as I use to. The Loretta Lynn album he produced had a lot of that sound, and it worked overall. It was nice to hear something so different from her. But I don't know if that sound would work so well with the Stones.

I've never been crazy about Rubin as a producer for the Stones, I've never really cared for his sound. I just don't get the hype about him.

Date: December 16, 2010 04:56

71Tele
lem motlow

True. They need to think 'Out of Control', 'Saint Of Me', 'Midnight Rambler', 'Street Fighting Man', 'Gimme Shelter', 'Sympathy For The Devil', etc., next time out. Now I am not saying to copy these songs but think in terms of creating songs like these that have an element of mystery, drama, and a pinch of anger to them. Personally, I am tired of silly love songs, time to re-introduce some anger back into their music. Maybe write about how disrespectful people are on the highways towards each other these days and how rude people can be towards each other while communicating electronically, etc., etc.,.

Date: December 16, 2010 05:10

StonesTod
71Tele
lem motlow

Didn't mean to steal your thunder, Tod...

i agree and i wished i had said this, too....oh, wait, i did....

Date: December 16, 2010 05:14

just bustin' yer chops, tele...carry on....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 16, 2010 05:21

lem motlow

I'm not ignoring the rest of what you said, which is, ha ha ha ha, basically what I'm going to paraphrase right now - and is a bit of a shit and giggle from your first bit above, which is...

That is why we get such drivel as Streets Of Love.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 16, 2010 05:54

No.See ya later Don.

Date: December 16, 2010 18:04

skipstone
lem motlow

I'm not ignoring the rest of what you said, which is, ha ha ha ha, basically what I'm going to paraphrase right now - and is a bit of a shit and giggle from your first bit above, which is...

I am beginning to see the light on SOL. I actually liked it as performed live at Qwest in '06, however, the more I listen to it the more I wish they had never put their signature to it. In fact, the more I listen to ABB (given it plenty of listens recently) the more convinced I am that it is the worst album they have ever done, at least to my ear. I have decided to put it on the shelf for about ten years and if I am lucky enough to still be around I will give it another try then but for now it needs to be out of my sight for fear I may just trash it!

Date: December 16, 2010 18:34

stonescrow
skipstone
lem motlow

I am beginning to see the light on SOL. I actually liked it as performed live at Qwest in '06, however, the more I listen to it the more I wish they had never put their signature to it. In fact, the more I listen to ABB (given it plenty of listens recently) the more convinced I am that it is the worst album they have ever done, at least to my ear. I have decided to put it on the shelf for about ten years and if I am lucky enough to still be around I will give it another try then but for now it needs to be out of my sight for fear I may just trash it!

bless you, my son.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 16, 2010 18:49

after all, this could very well be...The. Last. Album. from them...so they'll probably produce it themselves...and dedicate it to us, their loyal fans.

grinning smiley

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: December 16, 2010 21:54

My thought on this--and I know I'm hardly alone--is that the Stones don't need to write at all.

Why not bring the whole odyssey full-circle with a record based on covers? What better tonic for all the difficulties between Jagger and Richards than to go to work on some of the material that launched the enterprise? For them to do blues, R&B and country the way they're now capable and to have very informal sessions recorded with immediacy and grit would be a wonderful final bow. And if a few top-notch originals grew out of the work, then so much the better. Thank God for what Dylan's work with traditional tunes did for him in the early 90's--perhaps the Stones could get even a fraction of that lift?

Don Was, for all his apparent gifts of diplomacy, is not the man to make the Stones sound raw and soulful. Stripped is the most wimpy, synthetic sounding record in their entire catalogue. The whole thing stands as a spectacularly missed opportunity not only in terms of sonics, but in song selection, arrangements and performances.

Was knows the Stones' history, but with rare exceptions, he hasn't been able to the spirit and fire that made that history happen. I think Jack White understands the essence of the entire rootsy tradition of which the Stones are such an important part. Other candidates: T-Bone Burnett, Buddy Miller and Matthew Johnson of Fat Possum Records. To say nothing of the Black Keys' Dan Auerbach.

On an unrelated matter: My new daydream is a club gig at which the Stones do a medley of "Pretty Beat Up" and "Just Wanna See His Face." That, and some heavy Bo Diddley covers.

Also: How about the Beacon rehearsal footage on the Shine A Light DVD? So soulful, so effortless. If the Stones could get out of the way of their own gigantic stature and catalogue...

Picks for the day: "Hide Your Love," "Hey Negrita," "I'm Alright," and "Parachute Woman" (R'n'R Circus version)

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 16, 2010 22:04

don was
right before
now perhaps
the future
who knows?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 16, 2010 22:09

No. Never Was!

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: December 17, 2010 00:14

horrible choice

Date: December 17, 2010 02:33

71Tele
lem motlow

I can not agree with this; and I realize that is the wishful perspective. But a good artist, a writer can always be found to write the good songs for his age and time. It's just that they get lazier and lazier, and more and more complacent and downright lost. I would say Keith is getting it wrong more and more. And the right producer for them isn't about sound; the Stones invented sound. They need someone who will draw them out, and do whatever it takes to get them to dig deep. They need to get humble again. That is what Rubin is good at.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: December 17, 2010 03:46

Rev. Robert W.
My thought on this--and I know I'm hardly alone--is that the Stones don't need to write at all.

Why not bring the whole odyssey full-circle with a record based on covers? What better tonic for all the difficulties between Jagger and Richards than to go to work on some of the material that launched the enterprise? For them to do blues, R&B and country the way they're now capable and to have very informal sessions recorded with immediacy and grit would be a wonderful final bow. And if a few top-notch originals grew out of the work, then so much the better. Thank God for what Dylan's work with traditional tunes did for him in the early 90's--perhaps the Stones could get even a fraction of that lift?

Don Was, for all his apparent gifts of diplomacy, is not the man to make the Stones sound raw and soulful. Stripped is the most wimpy, synthetic sounding record in their entire catalogue. The whole thing stands as a spectacularly missed opportunity not only in terms of sonics, but in song selection, arrangements and performances.

Was knows the Stones' history, but with rare exceptions, he hasn't been able to the spirit and fire that made that history happen. I think Jack White understands the essence of the entire rootsy tradition of which the Stones are such an important part. Other candidates: T-Bone Burnett, Buddy Miller and Matthew Johnson of Fat Possum Records. To say nothing of the Black Keys' Dan Auerbach.
quote]

All good suggestions for a record. Full circle is a great idea and Dan Auerbach would be my main choice if he were interested. Or Nick Curran

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home