Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Paul McCartney Apollo,Harlem Show.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 14, 2010 11:32

Just seen this review on Yahoo News. Stars out for McCartney Apollo show

At the age of 68, Sir Paul McCartney has the richest catalogue in pop music to indulge in.

On a snowy night at Harlem's historic Apollo Theatre, with a frisky band and a live radio audience, McCartney clearly enjoyed the journey. He performed a two-hour, 27-song set in front of celebrities such as Jerry Seinfeld, Alec Baldwin, Martha Stewart, Tony Bennett and Rolling Stone Ron Wood.

The New York theatre was dressed up in searchlights and a red carpet for the event, which was part of promotions for a deluxe reissue of his Band On The Run album.

McCartney alluded to the influence that many of the musicians who played the Apollo had on him. "I know it's special to you New Yorkers," he said. "To us British boys, it's really special."

His one tribute to the locale, a spirited cover of Marvin Gaye's 1962 hit Hitch Hike, was unfortunately marred by technical difficulties. The microphones went quiet halfway through the song, forcing McCartney and his four-piece band to stop. They tried again, only to have to stop again. The third time worked.

McCartney's band makes some of his songs, like Maybe I'm Amazed and Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, far more muscular than they are on record.

The hits came fast and furious toward the end - Let it Be, Hey Jude, Get Back, Yesterday. But this concert was most delightful when McCartney reached toward some less expected material.

This included one of the oldest Lennon-McCartney compositions, One After 909, the Rubber Soul chestnut I'm Looking Through You and his ukelele-accompanied Dance Tonight. Also fun were the handful of cuts brought out to highlight Band On The Run.

McCartney performed A Day In The Life as a medley with Give Peace A Chance, a John Lennon solo cut that had a Lennon-McCartney songwriting credit on its 1969 release.
Here’s tonight’s setlist…

Paul McCartney
December 13, 2010
Apollo Theater
New York, NY
Magical Mystery Tour, Jet, Drive My Car, All My Loving, One After 909, Let Me Roll It, Long and Winding Road, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five, Maybe I’m Amazed, Blackbird, I’m Looking Through You, And I Love Her, Petrushka, Dance Tonight, Eleanor Rigby, Hitch Hike (multiple restarts), Band On The Run, Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da, Back In The USSR, A Day In The Life > Give Peace A Chance, Let it Be, Hey Jude
Encore: Wonderful Christmastime, I Saw Her Standing There, Get Back,
Encore2: Yesterday, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) > Carry That Weight > The End

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-14 12:08 by crawdaddy.

Re: OT: Paul McCartney Apollo,Harlem Show.
Date: December 14, 2010 15:21

What a pro.and so cool about it all. smoking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 14, 2010 16:55

Ronnie was there and attended the concert.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 14, 2010 17:18

So was Keith! He sat next to Ronnie.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 14, 2010 17:24

Well, it's nice Keith and Ronnie are getting out and about together.

Now, how about a tour announcement?

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: December 14, 2010 17:37

The show is up at guitars 101:

[www.guitars101.com]

Date: December 14, 2010 17:55

Don't that Alec Baldwin talk some crap.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: December 14, 2010 20:01

Keith, Patti, Ronnie & Jane Rose had dinner with Paul & his g-friend Nancy afterwards: [www.showbiz411.com]

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 14, 2010 20:36

Beast
So was Keith! He sat next to Ronnie.

Pic please.... And more pics of that hot chick Ronnie's with too.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 14, 2010 21:06

The only stars at the party were Paul, Keith and Ronnie.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 14, 2010 21:57

Is this the first tour that "Wonderful Christmastime" has been played?

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: December 14, 2010 22:16

see pics here

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-14 22:17 by boston2006.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 14, 2010 22:39

A few more photos:

[www.examiner.com]

[apimages.ap.org]

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 14, 2010 23:03

Elmo Lewis

I believe he played it on the Wings' UK tour in Nov/Dec 1979...turned out to be the last Wings shows.

Date: December 15, 2010 01:32

The pics of the so called''celebs'',I have no idea who 75% of them are but being a Brit.and the gig is in NY it's not surprising I guess.I do recognise Paul and Tony Bennett but not much more. confused smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outconfused smiley

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: December 15, 2010 02:23

Claire_M
Keith, Patti, Ronnie & Jane Rose had dinner with Paul & his g-friend Nancy afterwards: [www.showbiz411.com]

I hope Keith made him eat some shepherd's pie.

"Get that tofu outta me sight! Have some real food!"

smiling smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 15, 2010 02:49

Jah Paul you are right! He did Wonderful Chrstmas on the 79 Uk tour with Wings. Not one of his better songs, but a simple holiday moment.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: December 15, 2010 03:07

But where's Mick?!sad smiley
smiling smiley

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: December 15, 2010 03:14

Elmo Lewis

Not quite - he played it on the short "Good Evening Europe" he did last December. But that was only... 6 shows? ish. So it's hardly had any outings.

Date: December 15, 2010 10:27

Just seen a new review of the gig mentioning Keith this time..................................................The boyish looking performer finally making his debut at the Apollo Theatre seemed genuinely thrilled to playing the legendary Harlem venue. Former Beatle Paul McCartney performs during the Sirius XM Radio 20 Million Subscriber event.
"It's the holy grail," he muttered, before bending down for the traditional Apollo rite of rubbing the onstage "Tree of Hope" trunk for luck.

For the audience, it was also a holy grail moment -- an opportunity to see Paul McCartney in a venue far more intimate than the arenas and stadiums he usually frequents. Performing a nationally simulcast radio concert put on by Sirius XM to celebrate reaching 20 million subscribers, the 68-year-old former Beatle delivered an entertaining two-hour set featuring songs stretching throughout his nearly five-decade long career.

The invitation-only crowd -- made up of lucky subscribers and celebrities including Jerry Seinfeld, Martha Stewart, Tony Bennett, Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick, Deepak Chopra and two Rolling Stones (Keith Richards, Ron Wood), among many others -- were in baby-boomer nostalgic bliss.

Performing with his energetic four-piece band, McCartney delivered a generous portion of Beatles classics, from the pop confections ("I Saw Her Standing There," "All My Loving," "And I Love Her," "Drive My Car" ) to the requisite anthems ("Let It Be," "Hey Jude," "The Long and Winding Road" ).

He delved deep into his Wings classic "Band on the Run" (recently reissued in a deluxe edition), performing not only the expected title track and "Jet" but also such numbers as "Let Me Roll It" and "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five."

Less-familiar treats included the vintage Lennon-McCartney song "One After 909," his solo hit "Dance Tonight," on which he played ukulele, "I'm Looking Through You" from Rubber Soul and, in honour of the Yuletide season, the cheery "Wonderful Christmastime."

The audience was particularly stirred by his medley of "A Day in the Life," which John Lennon sang on the record, and "Give Peace a Chance."

Alas, it was when McCartney attempted to pay tribute to the Apollo's storied history -- with a cover of Marvin Gaye's early '60s soul classic "Hitch Hike," complete with six mini-skirted female go-go dancers -- that he fell victim to the theatre's notoriously temperamental sound system. It took three tries before he was able to get through the number. "OK, we've proved the show is live," he cracked.

Although his voice clearly reveals some fraying, McCartney still performs with the playfulness and vigour of someone half his age. He was clearly jazzed by his surroundings, at one point stopping in his tracks and declaring, "I'm gonna take a little moment and just soak in the Apollo. I know it's special to you New Yorkers. To us British boys, it's really special."

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 16, 2010 06:52

I was at the McCartney show at the Apollo and it was great seeing Sir Paul in such an intimate setting. I saw Keith & Patti, and Ronnie was with his latest young model/goldigger. Keith looked happy and healthy and seemed to be sporting a suntan. Ron looked healthier than he has in years. Sobriety seems to be working wonders for him. Patti looked healthy as well. Also at the show were Chuck Levell, Bernard and long-time RS associates Jane Rose, Shelley Lazar and Arnold Dunn. I spoke with Chuck briefly after the show (after he was done chatting with Max Weinberg about what else?..trees!) and asked him about the possibility for a Stones tour next year. His response was simply, "I'm still waiting to hear the word." So, it seems we're all waiting for Mick to have the final word on this.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-17 00:22 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 16, 2010 07:32

Nice, TornandFried.

I wonder what Keith thought of the show.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 16, 2010 07:52

Justin
Nice, TornandFried.

I wonder what Keith thought of the show.

Keith looked like he was enjoying himself...as did Ronnie. Ron said in an interview before the show that it was actually the first time he's ever seen McCartney play...which seems incredible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-16 19:02 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 16, 2010 09:24

CrazyDadda
The show is up at guitars 101:

[www.guitars101.com]

thanks!

Date: December 16, 2010 10:35

Nice to hear TornAndFried .That's what I thought when I heard Ronnie say he'd never seen Paul play.winking smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 16, 2010 17:46

Thanks, yall! Merry Christmas!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 16, 2010 18:01

Elmo Lewis
Thanks, yall! Merry Christmas!
You too Elmo.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 16, 2010 19:46

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 16, 2010 19:51

Ronnie and Keith hanging out together socially is unbelievable news!
When do you think these two last went to a concert together? Other than their own, of course...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1368
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home