Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: hearts for sale,,
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 22, 2022 05:04

Hadn't listened to it in a while ... just did, it's groovy!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2022 05:20

well if you're not a fan, I'd say it isn't 'winning any hearts'.

That said I'll agree it's pretty good, solid B.

Posted by: DirtyT ()
Date: September 22, 2022 05:37

awesome that you went back to listen. i think the song is good.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 22, 2022 12:33

I think the whole SW album is somewhat underrated .

Date: September 22, 2022 12:35

Fantastic song. However, I don't like Mick's guitar.

Date: September 22, 2022 12:37

Here's the Track Talk for Hearts For Sale, btw. It will probably be merged into that thread: [iorr.org]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 22, 2022 19:38

Spud

It has some classic moments. Blinded By Love is really nice.

Re: Track Talk: Hearts For Sale
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 22, 2022 23:36

A cool song from the post-WWIII era.

Date: September 26, 2022 14:58

24FPS
Spud

It has some classic moments. Blinded By Love is really nice.

Yes, I quite like that track.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: September 26, 2022 18:40

Good song

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 26, 2022 18:58

Agreed, quite a good one. The SW album as a whole I find I'm returning to a lot. Far better than I thought it was years ago. Terrifying, Slipping Away, Break the Spell, Almost Hear you Sigh, Continental Drift would be my Top 5.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 26, 2022 19:18

Hearts for sale has got a good groove - a solid song.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: September 26, 2022 22:56

Love the Bluesy fade out..

Date: September 27, 2022 00:02

IrelandCalling4
Agreed, quite a good one. The SW album as a whole I find I'm returning to a lot. Far better than I thought it was years ago. Terrifying, Slipping Away, Break the Spell, Almost Hear you Sigh, Continental Drift would be my Top 5.

The album is over-produced but the quality of the material is really strong.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 27, 2022 06:36

treaclefingers
IrelandCalling4

The album is over-produced but the quality of the material is really strong.

Agreed. It’s too “shiny” but much of the material is strong. Though I never really got into Mixed Emotions as part of the album. It sounds much better on Steel Wheels Raw, as do most tracks in fact!

Rod

Date: September 27, 2022 11:43

Another issue with SW production is that the sound lacks any real dynamics.

This perhaps partly because the running time is a little too long to fit on the single LP format, requiring the loss of some low end and a lot of limiting to squeeze it onto the vinyl.

[Edited to add that the CD mastering does not appear to differ very much in this respect.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-27 11:51 by Spud.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 27, 2022 12:57

Spud
Another issue with SW production is that the sound lacks any real dynamics.

This perhaps partly because the running time is a little too long to fit on the single LP format, requiring the loss of some low end and a lot of limiting to squeeze it onto the vinyl.

[Edited to add that the CD mastering does not appear to differ very much in this respect.]

Yep. To me STEEL WHEELS was the last vinyl studio album by the Stones, while probably the rest of the world, including band, thought it as a CD. It was way too long for a single vinyl format. Even worse was FLASHPOINT in the following year. Damn those albums sounded so thin. Clear and distinct, but no dynamics. But interesting is that the CD versions, what I have heard along the years, didn't sound that much better. So what do I know.

But inspired by this thread I listened "Hearts For Sale" first time in ages. Unfortunately no sudden revelation happened: it sounded so lame and forgettable as it has been since 1989. Sure it has some nice features - the funny intro, melodic hooks in bridge(s), guitar solo - but over all it is so 'Stones-by-numbers', more a work of craft than of inspiration. Jagger especially is in an autopilot mood (both as a singer and as a main songwriter). Damn, even Charlie sounds like a bored drummer in salary. I think all of that natural groove and musical joy still present in the previous, Pathe Marconi era albums is gone. Probably an example of both Mick and Keith acting like best pals, avoiding to make arguments, and just thinking 'let' s get this thing quickly done and let's go home'.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-27 13:10 by Doxa.

Date: September 27, 2022 13:31

Doxa

Yep. To me STEEL WHEELS was the last vinyl studio album by the Stones, while probably the rest of the world, including band, thought it as a CD. It was way too long for a single vinyl format. Even worse was FLASHPOINT in the following year. Damn those albums sounded so thin. Clear and distinct, but no dynamics. But interesting is that the CD versions, what I have heard along the years, didn't sound that much better. So what do I know.

- Doxa

Yep ,

Flashpoint even worse on vinyl ..and parking those two extra tracks from the Highwire single on the end didn't help !

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home