Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Sir Mick on Cover Of NY Times Style This Sunday
Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: December 6, 2010 22:15

71Tele
It occurs to me after reading Mick's comments on marriage and dating that perhaps he is the true bohemian, rather than Keith, at least on this issue. Keith has become a married Suburban Gentleman, while Mick describes a nine-year relationship as "kind of dating" and still adheres to his view that marriage isn't for him.

That's one view. Or you could look at it like Keith is romantic and loyal, whilst Mick is cold, unemotional.

Earlier in the thread: bonobo monkeys, they're notoriously promiscuous.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 6, 2010 22:33

>> Or you could look at it like Keith is romantic and loyal <<

in 2003 Mick was asked what Keith's best and worst qualities are. his answer to both questions was "loyalty"

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: December 6, 2010 22:57

mickschix
Sorry to disagree so strongly with whoever said MIck wasn't a GIFT....he has been a gift to me, especially when most other things in my life have disintegrated to pure CRAP! I've been able to return to my favorite memories of concerts and other favorite Mick moments and it really has helped me to turn off those other damaging thoughts. I can always " turn the channel" and go to my Stones network. So, yeah, he is a gift alright!

I said to me, if you'd pay attention to the whole post instead of focusing on the not a gift part, maybe you'd understand that. If you feel differently that's your right.

Some of us have a way of looking at things that's more based in reality, not fantasy. Not everyone buys into what the Stones are selling as much as you do. Deal with it.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 6, 2010 23:40

Claire_M
71Tele
It occurs to me after reading Mick's comments on marriage and dating that perhaps he is the true bohemian, rather than Keith, at least on this issue. Keith has become a married Suburban Gentleman, while Mick describes a nine-year relationship as "kind of dating" and still adheres to his view that marriage isn't for him.

That's one view. Or you could look at it like Keith is romantic and loyal, whilst Mick is cold, unemotional.

Spot-on.

Love the quote, with sssoul - you're amazing at pulling up the mot juste (or "phrase juste," as it werewinking smiley) as well as the perfect photo for the perfet occasion. I've been thinking lately: how do you do it? do you have a database of all of these things? (I ask be/c I'm impressed but also because I am very interested in how people store and retrieve their "archival" materials - thanks!)

Tele71, I don't recall the bohemians being bitter about their trysts...just flowy, casual, and a little messy from drawing outside the lines. But eshewing marriage is apparently Mick's only great stand against conventionalism/status quo. Whereas Keith, well...needs a love to keep him happy.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 7, 2010 00:49

hbwriter
Even if the interview was the usual phantom-esque, shadow boxing with this elusive master -- still very entertaining. Nobody makes saying nothing as interesting as Jagger.

Yep, typical Mick, his observations are locked into some Public Face. You have to read between the lines with Jagger, as Keith said in Q Magazine at the time of the Exile reissue..'He's full of shit, he says the opposite of what he thinks...'
But he is entertaining as hell, but it always leaves you with the same impression, like a Rubik's Cube.

Date: December 7, 2010 00:51

hbwriter
Even if the interview was the usual phantom-esque, shadow boxing with this elusive master -- still very entertaining. Nobody makes saying nothing as interesting as Jagger.

Yep, typical Mick, his observations are locked into some Public Face. You have to read between the lines with Jagger, as Keith said in Q Magazine at the time of the Exile reissue..'He's full of shit, he says the opposite of what he thinks...'
But he is entertaining as hell, but it always leaves you with the same impression, like a Rubik's Cube. He will rarely deviate from what he wants us to believe. His best music is the only place where we can see a crack, or opening in the curtain.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 7, 2010 01:07

sweetcharmedlife
swiss
sweetcharmedlife
"Everyone does. I don’t care what they say. Everyone cares about it. You always want to control your image. I mean, you obviously can’t control it 100 percent. But if you’re a famous person, you obviously have a public personality that you try . . . that you want to project.”
Great,Mick and Keith are running around trying to promote their images. I like the images that guys like Charlie Watts,Ron Wood and Mick Taylor project. Musicians.thumbs up

SCL, why do you say Keith is running around trying to promote his image? That's Mick's quote above; not Keith. I can't remember from your posts: have you read Keith's book yet? clearly he's trying to deconstruct some of his image, and the whole notion of needing an image. As he says, it's still there but he's trying to slough it off and just be him. You can publish an autobiography and not be about promoting an image smiling smiley
I am currently reading the book. From what I've read so far and from his promotion of it. It still looks like he is trying to promote brand Keith. Basicly I'd rather he wrote a song instead of a book.

Ah...you have to play an instrument of some sort, to be a musician.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 7, 2010 01:23

BUSTERTROUSERS I just read what you said and it was simply stating that for YOU Mick is not considered a GIFT, and that's fine. I was telling WHY he is a gift for me, in my life and it IS personal. It is not based on FANTASY in any way, rather based on personal, up close meetings with Jagger which were extraordinary and REAL, not a dream. I am not boasting and really prefer to not bring it up here because most of my friends here already know all about it and I'd rather not BORE them all over again with it. However, I felt compelled to answer your post because it was dripping in sarcasm and I think that that was totally unnecessary.
I don't BUY IN TO EVERYTHING Stones related, but I do find great comfort in the memories of my meetings with Jagger. Life can really suck at times and I think it's great to have a place in one's memories where it is safe and pleasant. If you can't relate, fine, deal with it.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: December 7, 2010 04:31

bustedtrousers
mickschix
Sorry to disagree so strongly with whoever said MIck wasn't a GIFT....he has been a gift to me, especially when most other things in my life have disintegrated to pure CRAP! I've been able to return to my favorite memories of concerts and other favorite Mick moments and it really has helped me to turn off those other damaging thoughts. I can always " turn the channel" and go to my Stones network. So, yeah, he is a gift alright!

I said to me, if you'd pay attention to the whole post instead of focusing on the not a gift part, maybe you'd understand that. If you feel differently that's your right.

Some of us have a way of looking at things that's more based in reality, not fantasy. Not everyone buys into what the Stones are selling as much as you do. Deal with it.

Jeez, Bustedtrousers! Then we won't be expecting you to put roses on his grave. But when he's no longer with us, then you might see that he is a gift to millions. Have you seen the videos of him leaving hotels, etc, and how the people in the crowd look like they just got off the best ride at Disney World?! He makes a lot of people happy. People leave his shows pumped up....not depressed. Maybe you need a show!

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: December 7, 2010 09:52

Claire_M
71Tele

Earlier in the thread: bonobo monkeys, they're notoriously promiscuous.

Mick does not need to say that he loves L´Wren in an interview, if he does not like to talk about his private life. It does not make him a cold person if he does not say it publicly. If you read what L´Wren says in interviews it shows how close they are and how much they identify with each other.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 7, 2010 10:26

Mick does not need to say that he loves L´Wren in an interview, if he does not like to talk about his private life. It does not make him a cold person if he does not say it publicly. If you read what L´Wren says in interviews it shows how close they are and how much they identify with each other.

Most intelligent post of the last week ........Take a bow and shout yaself a drink...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 7, 2010 10:52

I don't agree with the last statement. Mick's r'ship with L'Wren has lasted longer than his r'ships with Marianne and Carla Bruni or his marriage to Bianca. In light of that, I think his expressed views on fidelity are insulting to her.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 7, 2010 17:24

Mick's views are Mick's views...you sound like a Republican trying to get into his bedroom.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 7, 2010 18:00

Bliss
I don't agree with the last statement. Mick's r'ship with L'Wren has lasted longer than his r'ships with Marianne and Carla Bruni or his marriage to Bianca. In light of that, I think his expressed views on fidelity are insulting to her.

I am no way expert in this but I recall L'wren's and Mick's r'ship been what used to be called "open one", and it goes both ways, and for this reason she is a perfect match for Mick (I don't think if "free relationship" is a right word but at least it is not a traditional one). They seem to think alike. They don't look or sound like some a young couple making a tight team, looking for a home to rise children but more like two adults who are past that and now are terms with their own life and emotions. And it seems to work. From an outlook, two observations:

(1) Jagger has not been "romantically linked" with anyone since he started dating L'wren. Or do I recall wrong? Now that is something...

(2) Mick seem to never want to "show up" with L'Wren for his image. It was totally different with Marianne, Bianca and Jerry. They are just spotted together by paparazzi, etc. but they don't seem to look after the limelight. Their relationship is not anything publicly visible or projected. They seem to enjoy for being private.

I think both of those points indicate that Jagger has perhaps finally founded a perfect relationship, or just has grown up...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: December 7, 2010 18:40

Rockman

Most intelligent post of the last week ........Take a bow and shout yaself a drink...

no joke? eye popping smiley

Date: December 7, 2010 18:50

Bliss

My theory is that
a) as he explains in the beginning of this interview he does not care what people say about him and that everybody has a public image, and
b) with his last comment he feeds that image, so that he really can have privacy inside the bubble of his private life.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: December 7, 2010 19:06

Sorry if my earlier "cold, unemotional" comment sounded judgmental of Sir Mick. Maybe I get a little defensive when men use the "fidelity isn't natural" argument smiling smiley I think it was in the "Being Mick" documentary, he admitted himself that he just isn't an emotional person.

I agree he deserves his privacy and his relationship with L'Wren seems mutually groovy.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 7, 2010 19:14

stupidguy2
You have to read between the lines with Jagger, as Keith said in Q Magazine at the time of the Exile reissue..'He's full of shit, he says the opposite of what he thinks...'
But he is entertaining as hell, but it always leaves you with the same impression, like a Rubik's Cube.

My thoughts exaclty,stupidguy (sorry to say,but since I very often find your posts witty & clever,it's hard for me to call you " stupidguy smiling smiley )

IMO, Jagger is much more "subtle " than Keith is .
It's just a feeling,since I don't know neither Jagger,nor Keith personnally .

I do believe that working with Jagger as a musician or for business purposes musn't be that easy .

I am not trying to put Jagger on a piedestal but to be honest, I think there were many times when without Jagger ,the Stones would have gone into its end .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: December 7, 2010 20:43

elunsi
Bliss

My theory is that
a) as he explains in the beginning of this interview he does not care what people say about him and that everybody has a public image, and
b) with his last comment he feeds that image, so that he really can have privacy inside the bubble of his private life.

Exactly!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 7, 2010 23:41

Doxa
Bliss

I am no way expert in this but I recall L'wren's and Mick's r'ship been what used to be called "open one", and it goes both ways, and for this reason she is a perfect match for Mick (I don't think if "free relationship" is a right word but at least it is not a traditional one). They seem to think alike. They don't look or sound like some a young couple making a tight team, looking for a home to rise children but more like two adults who are past that and now are terms with their own life and emotions. And it seems to work. From an outlook, two observations:

(1) Jagger has not been "romantically linked" with anyone since he started dating L'wren. Or do I recall wrong? Now that is something...

(2) Mick seem to never want to "show up" with L'Wren for his image. It was totally different with Marianne, Bianca and Jerry. They are just spotted together by paparazzi, etc. but they don't seem to look after the limelight. Their relationship is not anything publicly visible or projected. They seem to enjoy for being private.

I think both of those points indicate that Jagger has perhaps finally founded a perfect relationship, or just has grown up...grinning smiley

- Doxa

there is nothing private about their relationship. He attends every single one of her presentations, gets photographed, even co hosted recepetions etc etc etc. Neither has a publicist..and he especially when he's off tour.

Date: December 8, 2010 00:00

Doxa

- Doxa

Agreed, I noticed the difference in Jagger (at least in terms of his public persona) last year when I realized he and Lwren had been together for eight years! It's almost going to be ten! He seems more relaxed, not so restless and not so hindered....
What it is about Lwren? You mentioned that they both seem like two adults who respect each other and seem to share similar views on what they get from a 'relationship' - or what they need or do not need.
Or is it simply age? I think its a combination of both, but I also don't think we would be seeing this more 'grownup' Mick if he had stayed with Jerry Hall. I seriously doubt it - if Morad had not gotten pregnant, they would most likely still be together, but what would have changed? I always believed that that relationship lasted far longer than it should have.....he was never going to change, she was never going to leave otherwise. It took the ultimate humiliation and even then, she couldn't let go.
Maybe that happened for a reason and I think it was [i]Elunsi[/[/b]i] who made the point that things worked out for the best for all concerned.
L'wren is closer to Mick's intellectual pursuits and she seems supremely independent and confident. That might be the biggest difference. She's together. and Mick has never had that...although part of that might have been due to his own bad and selfish behavior.....
I have always liked L'wren. Im curious to see how this more mature, 'grownup' relationship will affect his songwriting. So far, I haven't 'seen' Lwren in the Stones music, but I hope to......
Jagger has come a long way from the cad who chased women young enough to be his daughter, grandaughter....
Jade jokingly called Lwren her 'stepmother'....
I think that speaks volumes in terms of respect. Also, in the pics of the Exile release premier at MOMA (?), L'wren was seen in photos with Patti, Charlie, very warmly.
Yes, perhaps our man has grown up and as a female fan, I'm enjoying it.
Bliss,, I get what you're saying about Jagger's comments being disrectful, but at the same time, Jagger has his own way of keeping his private life private and I think its by deflecting any seriousness, or confessional unterrances...he's not going to give anything away. I've made this point before, every woman he's had a relationship has written a book (except Bianca), detailing thier lives with him.....
With Lwren, maybe he wants to keep it to himself and enjoy it. Most of his life, loves has already been exposed....this might be something he wants to protect. I truly believe, the less he says, the more it matters.
Has L'wren become an official Stones Chick?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-08 00:11 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: December 8, 2010 00:03

Rip This
there is nothing private about their relationship. He attends every single one of her presentations, gets photographed, even co hosted recepetions etc etc etc. Neither has a publicist..and he especially when he's off tour.

Sure there is...that's just the public image you're seeing.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 8, 2010 00:40

Rip This

Yeah, it could be so that they show up in each other's public presentations and showings, and thereby give "support" to each other - since both of them have a job that is very public. But I can't recall seeing very many photos of them posing together for photographers in honeymoons, and in their private homes, and all that blah blah blah what famous and beautiful and glamorous people tend to do (like I remember seeing so many with Jerry Hall). Usually the photos I remember seeing of W'ren and Mick are them walking somewhere or just being "at work" (in some presentaion, film premiere like SHINE A LIGHT, etc.). In fact, I don't remember reading really anything of their private life or seeing photos of their real - not public - life. I think their relationship is extremely low-profile and private for celebreties of their status. I find that very mature that they don't have any reason not either to hide their relationship or to shout out loud/prove to the rest of the world how happy or in love or committed or whatever their relationship is like. It's nobody's business but theirs.

All in all, Jagger's always been very careful for his privacy, but now I think in the last few yaers - since Jerry? Or knighthood? - he has been so professional about it, and I think he has expanded the private realm much further than it used to be. The public Jagger is much "smaller" than ever before (what he reveals of himself). He is actually - in Jaggerian terms - quite rarely in the media. He actually only "shows up" as a performer - as a professional show business man - these days when there is something to do, or to promote. I think this NY Times article is the best we can have, or then EXILE-like musician's talk.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-08 01:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 8, 2010 01:51

Bottom line, I hope he is truly happy and has achieved a measure of peace and real contentment. If L'Wren keeps him content and sane, more power to both of them. I still think that she is very smart but has not been entirely truthful. I believe that her proclaiming that Mick can do as he pleases was a smart ploy to PRETEND to give him what he thinks he wants...his freedom. Jerry bitched about his infidelities and I believe if she played L'Wren's game, Mick would have stayed with her.
I could be entirely wrong and perhaps she really has no desire to possess him or keep him faithful. She may live for the day, who knows. I guess I am putting myself in her place; by playing a game that will trick Mick into being the one worrying about her where abouts when they're apart, he remains faithful. I just know that when I've acted indifferently towards a man, he seemed to chase a lot harder. Does this make sense to any of the ladies here?

Date: December 8, 2010 02:47

mickschix
Bottom line, I hope he is truly happy and has achieved a measure of peace and real contentment. If L'Wren keeps him content and sane, more power to both of them. I still think that she is very smart but has not been entirely truthful. I believe that her proclaiming that Mick can do as he pleases was a smart ploy to PRETEND to give him what he thinks he wants...his freedom. Jerry bitched about his infidelities and I believe if she played L'Wren's game, Mick would have stayed with her.
I could be entirely wrong and perhaps she really has no desire to possess him or keep him faithful. She may live for the day, who knows. I guess I am putting myself in her place; by playing a game that will trick Mick into being the one worrying about her where abouts when they're apart, he remains faithful. I just know that when I've acted indifferently towards a man, he seemed to chase a lot harder. Does this make sense to any of the ladies here?

Aloofness somtimes works, but sometimes it can backfire...ha.
Not all woman need traditional forms of what a relationship can be: sometimes, we like our freedom, with sex, with intellectual stimulation, but without the ties that bind. It's not just a male attitude and maybe Mick has finally met a woman who gets that.
I think Jerry was the one who was not truthful. Jagger never claimed that he would be faithful in his relationship with Hall, in fact, he seemed to flaunt the fact that he didn't believe in 'monagamy'. He even stated in a High Times article that 'Jerry is good about it...' implying she accepted that. According to Bob Collacello, she once boasted to Bianca, 'I let Mick do whatever he wants...'
Then she bitched about he how done her wrong...etc..
She apparently misfired in her strategy.
Lwren, it seems, is genuinely independent, not needy and accepting of his "bohemian" views on fidelity (a needless rationalization which I think its a crock of shit, an excuse against responsibility...if you feel that way, don't deny it for what it is. SOme of us really enjoy that kind of autonomy because of the lack of ties....but don't make it seem more glamorous than it is.)
Possibly, the fact that she doesn't necessarily want or demand more traditional forms of co-habitation may loosen Mick up in that he doesn't have to cheat or be with other women because she is or may be accepting of it.
Another interesting thing about L'wren is that she is adopted ..and that has nothing to do with this discussion, but its interesting.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-08 02:53 by stupidguy2.

Date: December 8, 2010 03:58

eck....all this back and forth is boring...

Didn't Mick say in his article that he had an answer for L'Wren when she mentioned the swan thing, about mating for life?!

The more you love someone, the more possessive you are. There's no way that she'd be happy with Mick sleeping around. But since Mick has been spoiled by women, meaning that Marianne, Bianca, Jerry, and L'Wren have all put up with it, and since it's either "take it or leave it, that's the way it's going to be", Mick sleeps around, and L'Wren has to accept it or leave. And where would she go? She loves him. And he loves her, too.

Date: December 8, 2010 04:30

riverrat
eck....all this back and forth is boring...

Didn't Mick say in his article that he had an answer for L'Wren when she mentioned the swan thing, about mating for life?!

The more you love someone, the more possessive you are. There's no way that she'd be happy with Mick sleeping around. But since Mick has been spoiled by women, meaning that Marianne, Bianca, Jerry, and L'Wren have all put up with it, and since it's either "take it or leave it, that's the way it's going to be", Mick sleeps around, and L'Wren has to accept it or leave. And where would she go? She loves him. And he loves her, too.

I think he was referring to talking to Lwren about woman who talk about the mating for life thing...it is possible that Lwren doesn't believe in monagamy either...
I agree that when you truly love someone the more possesive you are, no matter how "bohemian" you claim to be...
But maybe Mick is in a comfortable place, where its nice, but not necessarily the love of the century... he's what? 68? At a certain point, you just want companionship, friendship etc....
or maybe they love each other in a "bohemian" way....
Again, there are woman who can be just as independent as a man like Mick.

Date: December 8, 2010 04:45

Whatever...
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it's their business. Everyone sees it how they want to see it. Only they know the truth and why he says the things he does to the press. (He's 67, btw.)

Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: December 8, 2010 04:59

proudmary

That's his first public appearance after 2 months ridicule and all he has to say - 'Personally I think its really quite tedious raking over the past. Mostly, people only do it for money.'
It seems there is nothing Keith can do to break this heart of stone

Superb pic...thank you

Date: December 8, 2010 05:13

riverrat
Whatever...
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it's their business. Everyone sees it how they want to see it. Only they know the truth and why he says the things he does to the press. (He's 67, btw.)

We don't dissagree..

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home