Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Photo help please, Ready Steady Go.
Posted by: Nutbox ()
Date: September 4, 2012 23:51

Hi, nubie here.
Wondered if anyone could help me with this? This is a photo from an episode of Ready Steady Go dated 26th Feb'65 I believe ..........

This photo was published in The Stones' Life Magazine special from May this year in the US. I have a copy on its way to me at the moment.

The line-up was The Stones, The Dave Clark Five, The Who and The Animals. The Stones (and possibly some of the others) borrowed Dave Clark's drum kit. This is one of the episodes that the tape is said to be "missing". I have found this photo as well ..............

I have a few questions -

1. Does anyone know of any other photos of this performance?

2. Were they playing live (i.e. not miming), if so is there a recording available?

3. Are there any photos of the other bands during this episode.

I play drums myself and I have a small drum collecting fetish. Earlier this year I acquired this kit (just finished tidying it up)..................

This is DC's 1963 Red Sparkle English Rogers as seen above. It was presented by DC as first prize in a competition in 1966 and I bought it from the winner.

The kit was also borrowed by The Who later in 1965 .............

but that's off topic.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Re: Photo help please, Ready Steady Go.
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 5, 2012 00:21

Miming.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 5, 2012 00:32

Welcome Nutbox...............I can't help you (as I hate drums grinning smiley)............ but for sure someone knows the answer

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 5, 2012 01:21

Welcome NutBox.

As His Majesty stated, it was miming. According to Bill Wyman, the Stones hated the phoneyness of miming but the show was to important to them. They mimed to "The Last Time". Mick suffered a twisted ankle after the screaming girls in the TV audience broke through a safety barrier and mobbed him.

Looked through 5 or 6 of my Stones books and could not find any pictures from that date.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 5, 2012 04:11

Nutbox
Hi, nubie here.
Wondered if anyone could help me with this? This is a photo from an episode of Ready Steady Go dated 26th Feb'65 I believe ..........

This photo was published in The Stones' Life Magazine special from May this year in the US. I have a copy on its way to me at the moment.

The line-up was The Stones, The Dave Clark Five, The Who and The Animals. The Stones (and possibly some of the others) borrowed Dave Clark's drum kit. This is one of the episodes that the tape is said to be "missing". I have found this photo as well ..............

I have a few questions -

1. Does anyone know of any other photos of this performance?

2. Were they playing live (i.e. not miming), if so is there a recording available?

3. Are there any photos of the other bands during this episode.

I play drums myself and I have a small drum collecting fetish. Earlier this year I acquired this kit (just finished tidying it up)..................

This is DC's 1963 Red Sparkle English Rogers as seen above. It was presented by DC as first prize in a competition in 1966 and I bought it from the winner.

The kit was also borrowed by The Who later in 1965 .............

but that's off topic.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Speaking of Dave Clark, he ended up owning all the RSG broadcasts...

Date: September 5, 2012 10:51

2000 LYFH
Welcome NutBox.

As His Majesty stated, it was miming. According to Bill Wyman, the Stones hated the phoneyness of miming but the show was to important to them. They mimed to "The Last Time". Mick suffered a twisted ankle after the screaming girls in the TV audience broke through a safety barrier and mobbed him.

Looked through 5 or 6 of my Stones books and could not find any pictures from that date.

Thanks for that, and His Majesty of course. And thanks for looking through the books. Actually I just noticed that Brian's guitar isn't actually plugged in which is a bit of a give away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-05 10:52 by Nutbox.

Posted by: watts fan ()
Date: September 5, 2012 15:27

Nutbox

Wow, Nutbox. That's a really cool kit with great history behind it!

I read somewhere that Charlie never liked Rogers drums. They made some really nice stuff during their Cleveland & Dayton eras. I am a vintage drum enthusiast, and have a nice '63 Rogers 5 piece "Londoner."

Posted by: Raluca ()
Date: September 5, 2012 15:50

Isn't that from a TV-Show called "Go In 66"?
Greeetings Raluca

Date: September 5, 2012 17:19

Could this be it? Looks like these blocked out Rogers on the skin!

Date: September 5, 2012 17:38

watts fan
Nutbox

Wow, Nutbox. That's a really cool kit with great history behind it!

I read somewhere that Charlie never liked Rogers drums. They made some really nice stuff during their Cleveland & Dayton eras. I am a vintage drum enthusiast, and have a nice '63 Rogers 5 piece "Londoner."

Charlie is a Gretch man I believe.

This set isn't your usual Rogers. This was made in the UK by Boosey & Hawkes under licence from Rogers USA. So the shells are birch and beech.

This set is the original Londoner although wouldn't have been called so back then. It was custom built in the factory and is the blueprint that was copied to create the Londoner.

DC used this one in the UK before appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show were he used a USA version of this setup.

Much more sensible arrangement of collet plates - looks like someone learnt something from the first attempt.

Then in the 1967 Rogers USA catalogue they made available the DC Londoner, now with their new swivo double tom holder.

You say yours is '63?? Would be interesting to see what you have.

Date: September 5, 2012 17:42

Raluca
Greeetings Raluca

DC had given the set away by March 1966. The competition was opened in the January so that sounds a little late. My info so far says it was this ....

26 February 1965
Season 2 Episode 26
Aired date: Feb 26, 1965
Plot: --The Rolling Stones - ""The Last Time,"" ""Everybody Needs Somebody To Love""/""Pain In My Heart,"" ""Play With Fire"" and ""I'm Moving On"" --The Who - ""I Can't Explain"" Additional guests (scheduled): --The Dave Clark Five - ""Reelin' & Rockin'"" --The Animals - ""Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood""

Date: September 5, 2012 17:45

2000 LYFH
Could this be it? Looks like these blocked out Rogers on the skin!

That is the same kit. The unique arrangement of the collet plates on top of the bass drum give that away in that photo.

Luckily there are a number of unique features on this set so it is usually possible to Id. it in old photos.

Date: September 5, 2012 20:47

I guess VOX made them block out the Rogers name on the drum skin.

Date: September 5, 2012 22:01

2000 LYFH
I guess VOX made them block out the Rogers name on the drum skin.

Not seen that before. They did apparently have some kind of appearance contract with Vox. There are a few photo shots were DC is seen with Trixon drums which were part of the Vox group of companies. So, yes that is probably why.

That photo will have beeen from quite early on, late 63 early 64 and is the Royal in Tottenham I believe.

This is 14th Feb'64 from same venue.

Any number of photos with the logo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-05 23:47 by Nutbox.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 5, 2012 23:58

very cool thread. the Dave Clark Five was my first big 'coliseum' show, when I was 11. I play drums also, but I'm a Gretsch fan, because of the sound, and Charlie, and all the pics of the great jazz drummers playing Gretsch...

but thats a beauty that Rogers kit..

Re: Photo help please, Ready Steady Go - UPDATED.
Date: September 8, 2012 11:56

****** UPDATE ******

My copy of Life Magazine 50 years of Rock and Roll arrived the other day and now understand Raluca's comment below and find that my previous info was entirely wrong.

Nutbox
Raluca
Greeetings Raluca

DC had given the set away by March 1966. The competition was opened in the January so that sounds a little late. My info so far says it was this ....

26 February 1965
Season 2 Episode 26
Aired date: Feb 26, 1965
Plot: --The Rolling Stones - ""The Last Time,"" ""Everybody Needs Somebody To Love""/""Pain In My Heart,"" ""Play With Fire"" and ""I'm Moving On"" --The Who - ""I Can't Explain"" Additional guests (scheduled): --The Dave Clark Five - ""Reelin' & Rockin'"" --The Animals - ""Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood""

This is a scan of more of the photo in the magazine.

On the right of the photo the words "Go in 66" can be seen.

Compare that with this which is a photo of The Who during rehearsals for an episode of Ready Steady Go on New Years Eve 1965 entitled "The New Year Starts Here".

It is clear that this is the same set. The left hand side of the stage says "Go in 65" and the right hand side "Go in 66", and the centre has elements in common.

Looks like it was quite a show.

THE NEW YEAR STARTS HERE (Special New Years Show) ITV network from 10:52 pm until midnight (or until close-down).

Introduced by Keith Fordyce and Cathy McGowan

Guests:
The Animals
Chris Andrews
Dave Berry
The Dave Clark Five
Tom Jones
The Kinks
Lulu
Kenny Lynch
The Rolling Stones - "Satisfaction" & "Get Off Of My Cloud."
The Searchers - "Take Me For What I'm Worth."
Dusty Springfield

Also guesting, but not credited, Alfie Bass and Bill Fraser (Bootsie and Snudge) miming to The Righteous Brothers hit single "You've Lost That Loving Feeling"

r.adams207 submitted the following song titles:
The Who - "I Can't Explain."
Chris Andrews - "Girl Don't Come."
Tom Jones - "Chills And Fever."
Lulu - "Shout."

I wonder how many of these may have used this kit.

The photographer of this image ............

................... is Barrie Wentzell

[www.morrisonhotelgallery.com]

If you Google this guys name and click images it is clear that he was responsible for a lot of the iconic images I grew up with in the 60s and 70s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-08 11:59 by Nutbox.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: September 8, 2012 17:27

Dezo Hoffmann shots...

Date: September 8, 2012 17:50

Sacke, thanks million!
That "Happy New Year" sign clinches that.
Great!
Caqn I ask how you found those. I'm thinking I should be looking for shots of The Kinks and The Animals. Thanks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-08 20:03 by Nutbox.

Date: September 8, 2012 20:40

Date: September 9, 2012 01:31

Date: September 9, 2012 11:54

Brilliant - thanks again.

Date: September 9, 2012 14:02

From the same show with Chris Andrews...one picture found on internet and one in one of my Kinks books:

Date: September 10, 2012 10:54

Your search skills clearly out stip my own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-10 10:55 by Nutbox.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home