Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Jagger and Bowie video, the worst ever?
Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 30, 2010 07:46

It's goofy, but not the "worst ever". The song isn't THAT bad.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 30, 2010 08:00

Carnaby

they're talking about the video, not the song.

both were done as fast as possible, but whereas that's often a benefit with rock music, not really the case for films.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 30, 2010 08:02

Just taking the piss outta each other ....... Just a send up ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 30, 2010 08:48

yep, like the Bette Midler version of Beast Of Burden....very funny Jaggerisms here by Mick.

Same can be said for most of Mick's solo music videos...they came out at the right time for the 80's and back then people thought they were cool...
They might look bad today...

Let's Work, however, is truly an embarrassment....but pretty funny at the same time.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 30, 2010 08:53

The worst thing are bitchy little "baiting" threads. "THE WRONG MICK QUIT THE STONES IN 1974."

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: November 30, 2010 08:56

Why have I never seen that Let's Work music video? I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Why is Mick running on the highway with naked Native Americans behind him? haha Makes no sense.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 30, 2010 08:59

I'm sure there's worse, but why go there?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 30, 2010 09:15

Who gives a @#$%& about videos? It's a great cover on this half-assed song...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: November 30, 2010 10:30

The video has been made in about 24 hours or so before the Live Aid concert started. The idea at first was that Jagger and Bowie sing together but one in London and one in Philadelphia. Due to airtime and echo reasons it was technically not possible that you would hear them sing together the same song neither live nor on TV. For that reason the video was made instead.
For me this video is a clear POST disco video and I don't think it's that bad at all.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: November 30, 2010 12:35

Not good but quite far from the worst ever.

I think that Start me Up is even worse.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 30, 2010 12:46

skipstone
Here is the worst video and song Mick Jagger was a key part of:

hahahha... due to credentials this video is not to allowed to be shown in my country... what a shame...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-30 13:45 by Doxa.

Date: November 30, 2010 13:09

Eleanor Rigby
Same can be said for most of Mick's solo music videos...they came out at the right time for the 80's and back then people thought they were cool...
They might look bad today...

But I think the problem was that already at the time people were not so sure that they were "cool". For example, Mick's ego project - the longest video ever - RUNNING OUT OF LUCK film was simply laughed out of the court by the media or almost by anyone. The leading single of SHE'S THE BOSS - and of that video film too - "Just Another Night" was not really convincing - I remember the reviews of saying something like Mick tries to look Prince, i-e. "cool". This "trying" aspect was way too clear to be seen. It was not convincing enough to be "cool". And as far as the almost legendary flop of all-time "Let's Work" goes, releasing that song in the first place and making that video for it, Jagger couldn't have done more harm to his supposed solo career. He made himself a fool in everybody's eyes. Yeah, the 80's were hard times in music but still... how on earth could that happen? How out of reality Mick was?

I think the over-all reaction to "Dancing in the Street" was that of sharing the fun. I don't think there was anything very serious in that product. It was harmless fun for a good (?) cause, and I don't think it should not be seen more seriously than that even today. (By the way it is only #1 solo Jagger product! The only time he didn't try so goddamn hard...) But I think the best 80's video product related to The Stones, and somehow being accepted by the day's (horrible) aethetic criteria, and the band not selling their legacy/image cheap or losing their faces, was "Harlem Shuffle". I can't remeber it was being much critizied by anyone. It was actually a hit single, okayed by The Stones fans and the trendy people in dancing floors.

Now something OT but still vaguely on topic:

I think the most saddest monemt of the 'old heroes' being totally lost in the mid-80's scene is a document film of making "We Are The World" single. There is a scene of Stevie Wonder teaching Bob Dylan to sing his part in Dylanisque way. Totally lost and nervous Bob does his best "Dylan imitatation" according to Stevie's example, and after doing it, asks with soft, humble voice something to the effect of "was that good enough?". It is painful to see.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-30 13:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 30, 2010 13:28

Must say that I liked the "Lucky in love"-video from "She's the boss" though! It was very "tounge-in-cheek". Due to credentials (or whatever) I'm not allowed to watch it on Youtube in my country, so I can't post it.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 30, 2010 13:36

"due to creditentials this video is not to allowed to be shown in my counrty"

Are we in the presence of royalty?

Date: November 30, 2010 13:41

Carnaby

A strong r&b classic for sure (and it was the song from which the "Satisfaction" riff was said to have taken off...cool smiley) But the only version I dare to listen is the maxi single version that starts only by the vocals - nothing else. It is great to listen Jagger's strong voice (and his breathing) 'naked' - even though he is the victim of his mindless and nuance-free mid 80's shouting - and then Bowie's mannered voice against it, nice ... but when the band starts, with its over the top 80's full blossom production, it is time to press the 'stop' button...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-30 13:43 by Doxa.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 30, 2010 13:48

Stoneage
Must say that I liked the "Lucky in love"-video from "She's the boss" though! It was very "tounge-in-cheek". Due to credentials (or whatever) I'm not allowed to watch it on Youtube in my country, so I can't post it.

yeah me too...it's intentionally humorous

Date: November 30, 2010 14:03

Eleanor Rigby
Stoneage

yeah me too...it's intentionally humorous

Yeah, I like it too. There Jagger's role playing seem to work - or how he uses his image. But most of RUNNING OUT OF LUCK does not work. No matter ho much he tries to be self-ironical and all that, it is just nothing but an ego thing: a guy so full of his own ego that goes beyond comprehensible (it would take until LIFE something similar would occur around the Stones circles.cool smiley.). It includes even arguably the best moment of the film, the following one:

I think it is funny to some people who are his big fans (I loved it very much at the time). I have 'tested' this piece by showing it to non-Stones fans, and they don't find it amusing at all but more like corny. I think it an indication that Jagger lost the touch to his own public persona/image and to reality of the music business at the time. Maybe there was too many "ass-kissers" around him who were whispering too much sweet things to Mick's ears, as Keith claims, at the time. Not good career consults for sure.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-30 14:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 30, 2010 14:05

Stoneage

The kid who plays Mick as a child in that video is one of Chris Jagger's sons.

Date: November 30, 2010 14:23

Didn't know that, thanks for the info, Gazza. I have never seen the "Running out of luck"-film in it's entirety (perhaps I'm lucky?) Was it shown in cinemas or sold as VHS?

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 30, 2010 14:46

Stoneage
Didn't know that, thanks for the info, Gazza. I have never seen the "Running out of luck"-film in it's entirety (perhaps I'm lucky?) Was it shown in cinemas or sold as VHS?
VHS
imo, an thats just my opinion. MJ Solo is with th xception of Wandering Spirit & Alfie pure rubbish. it´s a historical thing to see(hear) how shitty the 80s where, and he tried to be cool again with Goddess

Date: November 30, 2010 15:32

bluesinc.
it´s a historical thing to see(hear) how shitty the 80s where, and he tried to be cool again with Goddess

Well, my impression of hearing GODDESS first time was immediately: "holy shit, a 80's retro album. Mick, you are a pervert."

That confirmed my belief that Jagger as a creative artist never "survived" the 80's. All he has done with The Stones plus WANDERING SPIRIT is recicling the ageless retro ideas from their past (prior the 80's) - a musical vocabulary very close to aný Rolling Stones fan. But when he tries to do something different, to get out of the safe box, and led by his "muse", the best he can do is to repeat "winning receipt" of PRIMITIVE COOL. That's seemingly as "modern" as he can get, Jagger's ability to adapt the ideas of new genres or trends dried out during the 80's.

But pervert or not, I like GODDESS album more - or I listen it more - than I do A BIGGER BANG.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-30 15:34 by Doxa.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: November 30, 2010 16:16

Gazza
Neither Bowie nor Jagger were particularly 'cool' by 1985, so it hardly mattered.

A bit of high-camp harmless fun.

If you want an example of a REALLY bad video which made Jagger look ridiculous, I'll raise you 'Lets Work'. And if you want to scrape the barrel even further, dig out the 'Top of the Pops' performance of the same song. I hid behind the settee with embarrassment when that one was on.

cannot agree more; that was also on the Dutch program countdown with dancing nuses etc...aaarrgghh

Posted by: ChrisO ()
Date: November 30, 2010 16:45

Okay, Thanks. I used to like Mick & David's song until I just saw it for the first time! What were they thinking?
Or, to quot Charlie Brown AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 30, 2010 17:04

Doxa, you poor soul, not able to see the Let's Work video.

Running Out Of Luck, the video - or I guess it's a "movie" - is really bad - but it is actually hilarious in a funny way. The bit of Mick and Jerry in the trailer where she's adjusting her "tits" and Mick says "Still a bit flat actually" I found to be the second funniest bit of the movie. First is that Mickey Jaggero bit with the wrong music to fit the Stones record he's showing them (Trough The Past Darkly with Love You Live songs playing!).

Date: November 30, 2010 17:58

I might be the only one but I think "She's the boss" by comparison is the best Jagger album (I never said it was good though), from then on they only got worse. It certainly made the most impact on the contemporary scene compared to the latter ones. I think it went better on the charts too. "Goddess" I listened to once, maybe twice, and never again.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: November 30, 2010 20:46

loog droog
Two superstars made this video in one night with the intention of raising money to help starving people in Africa.

Back in the 80's people looked at the 70's with horror...and the rear-view hipper-than-then game never ends.

And yes, they were having FUN! Two pros, two pals playing off each other...the first time I saw it (when it debuted during the Live Aid broadcast ) it reminded me of this famous clip:

The interaction between the two is priceless. Mick reminds me more of Dean, self-assured, and at the same time, self-mocking.

The laughs were intentional. Anyone who compares this moment of levity (for a serious cause ) with the rest of their work is either too young to appreciate the context...or too dim to get a joke.

Two of the coolest dudes to walk the planet. They stayed drunk, chased women and raised hell! Sound familiar? The Dean Martin show was must see TV when I was a kid.

CBII

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 30, 2010 23:31

Doxa

But I think the problem was that already at the time people were not so sure that they were "cool". For example, Mick's ego project - the longest video ever - RUNNING OUT OF LUCK film was simply laughed out of the court by the media or almost by anyone. The leading single of SHE'S THE BOSS - and of that video film too - "Just Another Night" was not really convincing - I remember the reviews of saying something like Mick tries to look Prince, i-e. "cool". This "trying" aspect was way too clear to be seen. It was not convincing enough to be "cool". And as far as the almost legendary flop of all-time "Let's Work" goes, releasing that song in the first place and making that video for it, Jagger couldn't have done more harm to his supposed solo career. He made himself a fool in everybody's eyes. Yeah, the 80's were hard times in music but still... how on earth could that happen? How out of reality Mick was?

- Doxa

The Jagger/Bowie was silly, in spite of the charitable reasons for doing the video, but it was rushed and clearly a lark for both.
"Let's Work" on the other hand, was painful. And Doxa, you mention the absurdity of "Running out of Luck"....also painful. Those who try to see some kind of ironic, self-aware humor are giving Jagger too much credit here: He obviously wanted this to be his great contrubition to Rock Film. The various promotional videos for this "film" were an indication of its horror. I remember MTV hyping it and then suddenly it just disapeared into obscurity. I found it years later at a local video store and it was even worse than I had suspected. Mick Jagger was offically dead to me after I finally watched it in its entirety. It's stinks, it sucks, it reeks of someone losing touch with not only reality, but his own identity and how people perceived him. I get why Keith was pissed. It wasn't simply the act of going solo, but what it produced and Jagger's own ego-driven fanatasy of who or what Mick Jagger was supposed to be, in turn derailing the Stones legacy by association. It hurt to be a Stones fans, and a Mick fan in the 80s.
And Gazza, I'm afraid to click on the Top of the Pops video..i've never seen it, and hope I never do.
Does anyone ever find Jagger solo work at the record stores? It's like that Jagger was a phantom Mick who kidnapped Mick and tied him up, threw him in a closet and just obliterated years of credibility, integrity and cool.
This was not the man who recorded Exile on Main Street and Some Girls. The wit, intellect, snark and rebelliousness wsa gone - at least in his public persona and his music.
Who was it? Wasn't there someone in his life at the time who noticed this phantom Mick for what it was? Apparently not. I didn't understand then and still don't now. In the last few years, his lower profile has helped to regain some of his earlier cool, mystique, but many people still remember the Jagger of the 80s and have not forgotten.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-30 23:45 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 1, 2010 01:23

Keeping in mind when the Dancin video took place, it really is not that bad. Now " Let's work" is a different story. Even I can't defend that one! I enjoyed the " Running out of Luck" dvd. It is not supposed to be taken as a movie vying for an Oscar! COME ON! And Goddess is VERY good, so take the ear plugs out for those of you who never really " listened" to it and really hear it. Certainly a lot better than " Talk Is Cheap".

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2035
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home