Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 25, 2015 02:52

One of my all time favorite Stones songs. Kind of impossible for them to do it justice now, but lightning in a bottle on that studio recording. And great when Mick also did it solo.

Date: December 12, 2019 02:36

The track is for me the most special of all because it was my first Stones song, first record ever.
And stylistically, it stands alone in the Stones canon. Nothing compares. Like Jagger says"The ultimate freak out".
But the core riff, and the arrangement actually lend themselves to a live performance. It is not a studio creation.
This would IMO make for great drama. One of those iconic Stones entrances on the big stage. Even at this late date.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 12, 2019 04:26

….. noise of the sixties ….. lurv it …. freak out indeed ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 12, 2019 06:18

For me the early Stones went through three distinct periods: first, blues band, next, pop band, and third, rock band. Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, again to me, was the peak of their time as a pop music band. I love that freakin song and have from the time I first heard it on AM radio. Its dark but you cannot really tell what Mick is alluding to, you just know its not good. Is her mother getting an abortion, standing in the shadows? Does he mean she is looking over her (his current flame or whatever) shoulders, from the shadows? Whatever its got a great rhythm and some very evocative vocals. Great song, soon to be eclipsed by the rock Stones, Jumpin Jack Flash being kind of the forefront of that wave.

Its a great example of the songwriting craft, some very clever words sounding natural within its musical context. Something that is very hard to do but which Jagger/Richards excelled at. "Baby better come back, maybe next week, cause you see I'm on a losing streak" is another good example, alluding to menstrual periods without really coming out and shocking everyone. Different song I know, but great example nonetheless.

jb

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 12, 2019 09:41

A killer track, one of my favorite Stones tracks.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 12, 2019 18:42

On what Jbwelda tells about "Mother", I think that the song is not pop, but leans more to rock. It's heavy (considering those days) and for some in those days even "over the edge". Another step forward for me though. I remember those days as "the Stones are a daring band", like their interpretation of She Said Yeah, where they added heavy fuzz (like the Kinks f.i. did on You Really Got Me). But you can't even call The Last Time, not to mention Satisfaction, Cloud and Nervous pop. They did have pop songs, but to the majority they represented rock: dangerous, adventurous, heavy, keep your daughters away, etc. The likes of Led Zep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath "weren't even born yet". The term heavy metal didn't exist, but SSY and YRGM in fact gave birth to it.

Date: December 12, 2019 19:14

Songs like She Said Yeay, 19th Nervous and Have You Seen Your Mother and Satisfaction were Garage and PunkRock at the time For me.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: December 12, 2019 19:37

Now, 53 years on, it sounds astonishingly like their dear rivals` Revolver did, the modern sound of 1966.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 12, 2019 19:40

runaway
Songs like She Said Yeay, 19th Nervous and Have You Seen Your Mother and Satisfaction were Garage and PunkRock at the time For me.

Great qualifications! But ... those expressions didn't exist in the sixties, as far as I remember cool smiley

Date: December 12, 2019 19:48

georgie48
runaway

Great qualifications! But ... those expressions didn't exist in the sixties, as far as I remember cool smiley

Yep: those classifications did'nt excist yet, it was rock or pop in those days, even hardrock was rock then

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 12, 2019 21:33

It's hardly "desert island" material, for me.
But it's solid mainland fare.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 18, 2021 14:21

I have listened this old gem a lot lately. An unique, odd, chaotic, wild, energetic... And by accident, I noticed this little piece by Yesterday's Papers. A single A side with which the Stones 'flopped' first time - not making number number that is... Clapton, Zappa etc. are there commenting the 'fiasco'... Nice footage and photos as well.

Here is an another one from the same hectic era - about the UK autumn 1966 tour with Ike & Tina and 'just' The Yardbirds (damn - the latter having Beck and Page on guitars). Seemingly Ike had an issue with Mick...

Anyway, a question: from where does the soundtrack of the Stones performances derive from? The guitars sound so distinct and Mick's voice so powerful. Is it Honolulu? Sounds excellent (especially best live version of "Paint It Black" I've ever heard).

1966: Best Stones ever?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-18 14:21 by Doxa.

Date: September 18, 2021 18:47

I don't know where the soundtrack comes from but HYSYMBSITS defines 6-tees rock to me. The right guys at the right time. Just bloody fantastic.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: September 19, 2021 10:46

Genius song. Awkwardly titled but this was one of the best songs they had done yet, and in retrospect just as good as anything from 68-72

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 19, 2021 16:38

Doxa
I have listened this old gem a lot lately. An unique, odd, chaotic, wild, energetic... And by accident, I noticed this little piece by Yesterday's Papers. A single A side with which the Stones 'flopped' first time - not making number number that is... Clapton, Zappa etc. are there commenting the 'fiasco'... Nice footage and photos as well.

Here is an another one from the same hectic era - about the UK autumn 1966 tour with Ike & Tina and 'just' The Yardbirds (damn - the latter having Beck and Page on guitars). Seemingly Ike had an issue with Mick...

Anyway, a question: from where does the soundtrack of the Stones performances derive from? The guitars sound so distinct and Mick's voice so powerful. Is it Honolulu? Sounds excellent (especially best live version of "Paint It Black" I've ever heard).

1966: Best Stones ever?

- Doxa

There was something in that first clip that didn't ring true, which was HYSYMBSITS only making it to number 2. I checked and sure enough, if I'm comparing the same charts, it peaked at number 5.

In fact, number 2 earlier in the year, February was 19th Nervous Breakdown.

Consider the fact that in 1966 you have:

19th Nervous Breakdown - February
Paint It, Black - May
Mother's Little Helper - June
HYSYMBSITS - September
Let's Spend the Night Together/Ruby Tuesday - January 1967

Holy crap...

Funny the negative reviews that so many contemporary artists had for HYSYMBSITS.

I consider this probably just under Paint It Black and Satisfaction in terms of quality and probably their most exciting and energetic song of the 60s, which is great juxtaposed against those dark lyrics. Brilliant.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 19, 2021 17:30

treaclefingers

There was something in that first clip that didn't ring true, which was HYSYMBSITS only making it to number 2. I checked and sure enough, if I'm comparing the same charts, it peaked at number 5.

Paint It, Black - May
HYSYMBSITS - September

Holy crap...

Funny the negative reviews that so many contemporary artists had for HYSYMBSITS.

I consider this probably just under Paint It Black and Satisfaction in terms of quality and probably their most exciting and energetic song of the 60s, which is great juxtaposed against those dark lyrics. Brilliant.

Out Of Time another classic from March '66.
Watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood again last night.. while they used clips of most of the other fantastic music in the film, OOT was played in it's entirety.Two great films the song was featured in.. Coming Home being the other also to great effect.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood | Out of Time Scene | Full HD
[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 19, 2021 20:00

MisterDDDD
treaclefingers

Paint It, Black - May
HYSYMBSITS - September

Holy crap...

Out Of Time another classic from March '66.
Watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood again last night.. while they used clips of most of the other fantastic music in the film, OOT was played in it's entirety.Two great films the song was featured in.. Coming Home being the other also to great effect.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood | Out of Time Scene | Full HD
[www.youtube.com]

Good lord...indeed what a classic. Was that not a single then? Wasn't listed where I looked.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 19, 2021 20:14

treaclefingers
Good lord...indeed what a classic. Was that not a single then? Wasn't listed where I looked.

If wiki is accurate, the Stones didn't release it as a single until the Metamorphisis version in '75.
The cover of the song by Chris Farlowe however, hit #1 on the UK singles charts in '66.

"Out of Time" is a song by the Rolling Stones, first released on their 1966 album Aftermath (UK version). The most commercially successful version of the song was by Chris Farlowe, an English solo artist. Farlowe's single, produced by Mick Jagger, peaked at number one in the UK Singles Chart on 28 July 1966 and stayed at the top for one week.[1] A shorter alternative mix of the Rolling Stones' recording was released in the US in 1967 on the album Flowers. A third version featuring Jagger's lead vocal and the orchestration and backing vocals from Farlowe's cover version (plus a new female backing vocal) was released on the 1975 rarities album Metamorphosis and as a single."
[en.wikipedia.org])

Date: September 19, 2021 21:06

MisterDDDD
treaclefingers

If wiki is accurate, the Stones didn't release it as a single until the Metamorphisis version in '75.
The cover of the song by Chris Farlowe however, hit #1 on the UK singles charts in '66.

"Out of Time" is a song by the Rolling Stones, first released on their 1966 album Aftermath (UK version). The most commercially successful version of the song was by Chris Farlowe, an English solo artist. Farlowe's single, produced by Mick Jagger, peaked at number one in the UK Singles Chart on 28 July 1966 and stayed at the top for one week.[1] A shorter alternative mix of the Rolling Stones' recording was released in the US in 1967 on the album Flowers. A third version featuring Jagger's lead vocal and the orchestration and backing vocals from Farlowe's cover version (plus a new female backing vocal) was released on the 1975 rarities album Metamorphosis and as a single."
[en.wikipedia.org])

Forgot that OOT was a single in 75. Great version.

Didn't they also release Jivin' Sister Fanny and I Don't Know Why I Love You? as singles in '75?

ABKCO really milking it back then.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 23, 2022 18:41

Posted September 23:

The Rolling Stones - Have You Seen Your Mother (Official Music Video)

The Rolling Stones - Have You Seen Your Mother (Royal Albert Hall)

Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Video's
Date: September 23, 2022 19:32

This is interesting:

[www.yahoo.com]

Re: Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Video's
Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: September 23, 2022 19:48

I always thought that this could be a great concert opening song for the Stones!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 23, 2022 20:00

georgemcdonnell314

This is interesting:

[www.abkco.com] , [iorr.org]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 23, 2022 21:43

I like the second one better. The song and the concert footage captures the chaos for the Stones at that time.

Date: September 23, 2022 22:05

One of my all-time fave stones songs I think is horribly underappreciated.

A cacophony of sonic delight.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 23, 2022 23:55

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 24, 2022 02:05

One of my all-time fave stones songs

Yeah same 'ere treacle .....
The noise of the sixties .....
Jack and Phil grinning in the shadows ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 24, 2022 02:39

24FPS
I like the second one better. The song and the concert footage captures the chaos for the Stones at that time.

Agreed. Love the shots of Brian and Stu and the utter chaos!!!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: September 24, 2022 06:14

Rockman
One of my all-time fave stones songs

Yeah same 'ere treacle .....
The noise of the sixties .....
Jack and Phil grinning in the shadows ......

smileys with beer

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 24, 2022 08:18

CaptainCorella
24FPS

Agreed. Love the shots of Brian and Stu and the utter chaos!!!

i agree as well

but the other one has its charms to

who doesn't like looking at pretty girlsgrinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1352
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home