Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Monkees tour 2012...
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 8, 2012 09:24

Nesmith, Dolenz and Tork will play 12 US cities this November.
Source from Nesmith's Facebook page.
They may be coming to your town.

Re: OT: Monkees tour 2012...
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 8, 2012 10:51

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 8, 2012 10:54

.....HEY HEY... how much white-out did they use on the contract...?????

ROCKMAN

Date: August 8, 2012 10:56

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 8, 2012 12:29

So Nesmith is finally jumping on the wagon after Jones has passed ?

Date: August 8, 2012 12:50

Edith Grove
So Nesmith is finally jumping on the wagon after Jones has passed ?

Yeah. It's odd.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 8, 2012 13:04

I kind of liked Daydream Believer when I was too young too rock'n'roll...

Bjornulf

Date: August 8, 2012 13:13

bv

You can never be too young.

Date: August 8, 2012 13:55

bv

thats one of the greatest pop songs ever written

Date: August 8, 2012 14:17

My favourite version of my favourite Monkees song, featuring Nick Mason of Pink Floyd and Andy Summers of the Police.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 14:32 by tatters.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 8, 2012 14:34

You have to love em. I saw them last year. A great great show.

Date: August 8, 2012 14:38

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 8, 2012 16:04

Makes you wonder if Nesmith had a problem with Jones all these years, huh?

It's a shame he didn't go out with them the last time around.

Date: August 8, 2012 16:07

Kurt
Makes you wonder if Nesmith had a problem with Jones all these years, huh?

Or maybe Davy's death was a great big it's-now-or-never wake up call.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 8, 2012 16:11

any tour that doesn't pass thru the heart of texas ain't no tour at all...

Date: August 8, 2012 18:55

Nesmith is playing 4 shows in the UK this October, so maybe the performing bug is biting.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 8, 2012 19:34

Maybe Archie and Jughead can fill in for Davy. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Just kidding, I'm a Monkees fan.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: August 9, 2012 00:25

Could be more of a tribute to Jones. I want to go see them. May be my only chance to ever see Nesmith.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 9, 2012 00:29

StonesTod
any tour that doesn't pass thru the heart of texas ain't no tour at all...

Except there's always someone in the band or crew that's Wanted in Texas, hence the miriad of booking agencies who skip that state altogether. peace

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: August 9, 2012 00:31

Rolling Stone: Michael Nesmith on his surprising return to the Monkees

Andy Greene
August 8, 2012 1:10 PM ET
When Davy Jones tragically passed away in February, many Monkees fans presumed it was the end of the group. Even members of the band thought it was probably over. "There is a faint chance we'll continue," Peter Tork told Rolling Stone. "I don't know whether we could structure something without Davy. I had a couple of thoughts, but I don't know if they're workable."

What he didn't count on at the time was former Monkee Michael Nesmith returning to the fold. With the exception of a short European run of dates in 1997, Nesmith hasn't participated in any of the Monkees many reunion tours since their split in 1971.

As Rolling Stone announced this morning, he's had a change of heart and the three surviving members of the band will hit the road in November. We spoke with Nesmith via e-mail about the reunion tour and his other future plans.

When I spoke with Peter and Micky shortly after Davy died, they said they hadn't really spoken to you since the 1997 European tour. Where and when did you guys first begin communicating?
We reconnected at a private memorial for David the three of us arranged that was held at a private home.

What made you want to return to the band after all these years? Is this something you'd been contemplating for a while?
I never really left. It is a part of my youth that is always active in my thought and part of my overall work as an artist. It stays in a special place, but like things in the past it fades in and out in relevance to activities that are current. Getting together with old friends and acquaintances can be very stimulating and fun and even inspiring to me. We did some good work together and I am always interested in the right time and the right place to reconnect and play.

Any regrets about not joining them on their tour last year? Were you ever tempted to guest for a song or two last year?
No. It was, as usual, a question of schedules and timing and the focus of our individual work. Had there been an opportunity to join them I would have – but we were out of sync schedule wise.

How will the show address Davy's absence? Will songs he originally sang be included?
David's presence and his past will be throughout the show. He will be missed in his absence, but very much on our minds and in our heart. We will include some of the songs he sang, and do our best.

What sort of setlist can fans expect? Are there certain rarities you're hoping to bring back? Has the band been assembled yet?
We are focusing around Headquarters – our first real sojourn as a band – but the setlist will include all the Monkees fans expect. There are songs of mine and Peter's that have not been performed that we will play. The three of us will play the Headquarters material as we did in the studio – but the shows backing band for the other material will be the same as the last tours – with the exception of the inclusion of my son Christian on guitar.

Is there any talk of recording new material?
No.

Are you interested in continuing with the group after this string of dates ends in December?
Continuing is a big word. If you mean receptive to more concert dates, as I say I am always interested – but much will depend on the logic of events.

I've heard you might go on a solo tour and perform material from your RCA albums. Is that the case? If so, when might that happen?
Yes. But more than the RCA albums. There is a lot of material around later work in video that is fun to play as well. I am doing a short four-concert tour in October in the U.K. And I am looking at a longer solo tour in the States in the spring of '13.

I also heard you want to write a book. What are the plans for that?
I am in that process. This will be my third book – the first two are novels and this will be a type of nonfiction. I use "type" as an equivocator since there is some fiction in it. It is more amarcord than autobiography, more a study of events past in my life and times and how they fit together than a recollection. Vidal made the distinction in his book Palimpsest between the memoir and the autobiography – and that's a good definition for this new book – a kind of memoir – and Tropic of Cancer is another good way to look at the mixture of true stories and fictionally enhanced but real events. (Not to presume to compare myself with Miller or Vidal.) No publisher yet.

Fans haven't heard much from you in a very long time. Now there's all these projects seemingly at once. What's the impetus for all this?
I feel this is the start of the ending for me here – or more precisely, as Churchill had it – the end of the beginning. Now is the time.

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 9, 2012 03:53

tatters

Really great, Tatters. Thanks for posting.

Date: August 9, 2012 04:21

71Tele
tatters

That's a great demo. I've heard another one, too, with just her at the piano.
Monkee producer Chip Douglas recalls that after the Monkees' version was released, he ran into King at a publisher's office and she gave him a dirty look. He thinks it was because either he changed the lyrics in the middle 8 (King's version gives it a different spin) or she didn't like the guitar intro.

Date: August 9, 2012 04:54

tomk
71Tele
tatters

That's a great demo. I've heard another one, too, with just her at the piano.
Monkee producer Chip Douglas recalls that after the Monkees' version was released, he ran into King at a publisher's office and she gave him a dirty look. He thinks it was because either he changed the lyrics in the middle 8 (King's version gives it a different spin) or she didn't like the guitar intro.

The guitar intro was great. They just took Harrison's "I Want To Tell You" and sped it up. Problem?

Date: August 9, 2012 04:55

Mickey Dolenz has one of the all-time great voices of rock. And that's a fact, Jack.

Date: August 9, 2012 05:24

71Tele
Mickey Dolenz has one of the all-time great voices of rock. And that's a fact, Jack.
\\

Damn right he does. He's nailed everything he's ever sang.
And it's recognizable, too. Who would have thought when they hired him he had
a really distinctive set of pipes? Rafelson and Schneider (the producers) weren't that music savvy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 9, 2012 05:30

Mickey Dolenz has one of the all-time great voices of rock.

Musta switched ta singin' after the drums ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 9, 2012 05:31

71Tele

Amen.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 9, 2012 05:32

tomk
71Tele
\\

Damn right he does. He's nailed everything he's ever sang.
And it's recognizable, too. Who would have thought when they hired him he had
a really distinctive set of pipes? Rafelson and Schneider (the producers) weren't that music savvy.

Saw Micky, Davy and Peter last year at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles and Micky's voice is still incredible...all three were very impressive and put on an excellent and very long show, full of deep cuts, b-sides, etc.

Looking forward to this year's show with Mike, but will miss Davy for sure.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 9, 2012 05:39

Mickey was on the "Breakfast With The Beatles" radio show the weekend before last, and he played two songs from his new solo recording, due out in a month or so.

One was a cover of "Good Morning, Good Morning" (the Sgt. Pepper track) and another was a re-make of his old Monkees composition, "Randy Scouse Git."

Both tracks were really, really good. And his vocals still sound great.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: August 9, 2012 06:16

tomk
Nesmith, Dolenz and Tork will play 12 US cities this November.
Source from Nesmith's Facebook page.
They may be coming to your town.

Only 12? What about Canada?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1980
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home