Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Anyone have those new vinyl boxsets?
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 23, 2010 11:42

Was curious if the early albums have reproduction flipback covers and inner sleeves like the CDs that are popular now. Also, are they digitally sourced since they're remastered. Would be nice if they were analog since it pressed on 180 gram vinyl. Another missed opportunity?

Re: Anyone have those new vinyl boxsets?
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 23, 2010 13:59

Another missed opportunity? No. The ABKCO box is very nice. Though not without some small issues.

Here is my review pasted from www.stevehoffman.tv

I got the ABKCO box this weekend. This is my first review after hearing it.

Overall it’s an impressive release. The sound on it it actually an improvement over the 2003 DSD reissues. The early stuff sounds very nice and has nice middle range. It’s in glorious MONO, and that’s how it should be!

From Aftermath the whole set changes to STEREO. Aftermath and Between The Buttons sounds warmer than the 2003 editions, which had a kind of digital feel to them.
Of course this box is mastered from digital files, but they sound ‘warmer’ than previous issues.
They are still not as ‘open’ as the original vinyl edtions from 66/67, but it’s not as annoying this time around.

Soundwise I will give the set 8 out of 10. The reason why it’s not a full 10 comes here:

While they use the CORRECT version of Ruby Tuesday on Through The Past Darkly, there is unfortunatly some small issues:

• Tell Me is still faded. It comes close to end, but it’s still a fade.
• As Tears Go By on Big Hits, has a digital skip on the line “smiling faces I can see”. It’s not a big issue, but it’s there, and I noticed immidiatly.

And most importantly:

• While the vinyl on the 2003 editions where near dead quiet, the vinyl on this set unfortunatly is not as quiet. There is a bit of surface noise. Mind you, you have to listen REALLY close to notice it, but it’s there. However, once the music starts you will never notice.

Some of the cover reproductions could also have been a little better:

• The back cover shots of the band on the first album, looks like photo copies.
• Between The Buttons looks ‘washed out’.
• Some covers has a VERY DARK tone.

But there is also good things to say about some covers. I have NEVER seen so good reprodutions of “Out Of Our Heads” and “Through The Past, Darkly”. You can actually look staight into the pupils on the eyes of the band on both covers. Impressive.

So, there it is then. A set worth checking out and buy, if you can live with those small issues.

Packaging gets a 7.

Overall: 8 / 10

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 23, 2010 14:26

Thank you for the very in depth review. That about answers everything I want to know except if the early albums are reproductions of the UK originals. And are all the inserts are in the albums?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 14:47

so they are not mastered form the analog tapes? Then seems to be a senseless release in my opinion. Like the Exile Vinyl. A shame.

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 23, 2010 15:03

whitem8
so they are not mastered form the analog tapes? Then seems to be a senseless release in my opinion. Like the Exile Vinyl. A shame.

Just what I figured and all I need to know.

Date: November 23, 2010 15:13

frankotero
Thank you for the very in depth review. That about answers everything I want to know except if the early albums are reproductions of the UK originals. And are all the inserts are in the albums?

Thanks.

All early UK albums are reproductions, yes.

Inserts:
The booklet of Big Hits Vol. 1 is reproduced.
Big Hits Vol. 2 has original cut cover + reproduction of inner sleeve (Blue Stereo sleeve, 60's-like)

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: November 23, 2010 15:21

Check out the recently added Music Angle reviews here -

[www.musicangle.com]

Andy

Date: November 23, 2010 15:36

Andy that is a great review. Very in-depth. I still am very skeptical about these vinyls being digital transfers. And the other point that is the deal breaker for the UMG box is the covers! I can't believe that Sticky Fingers has no zipper, and Some Girls isn't even the die cut cover. That is lame!

It sounds like it is the same team that did Exile for the UMG box set, which won't win many fans here.

The ABKCO box set sounds like the better of the two, but also the cover comparison also shows that several of the box set covers are pretty lame! Especially Between the Buttons.

But the review is confusing. He gives the sound a 9 out of 10 for the UMG box set, but then writes:

"As with the Exile…box, the file sent to GZ was also compressed. In fact all of the reissues in the UMG box have been dynamically compressed to some degree. It wouldn’t be fair to say they were squashed, but they certainly lack the energy and exuberance of the originals in what strikes me as a misguided attempt to make them sound more “modern” (as in shitty)."

So he really makes it sound like the UMG set isn't work getting just based on that paragraph...

That is a great site you linked Andy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-23 15:50 by whitem8.

Date: November 23, 2010 16:06

I think he actually gives the UMG box set a 7 for sound (first page of the article) it's just not that obvious from the way that the page is formatted.

I was really hoping for a decent Exile but alas it is not to be. Looks like i will have to buy an original US pressing. I can understand the possible problems with the zipper cover but surely Some Girls is not that much of a challenge.

It was interesting to read about the "slow" Beggars Banquet. I will have to get the improved version on the ABCKO release as I guess these new pressings are not coming out individually.

I have Buttons, Ya Yas, Let It Bleed, Beggars & Sticky Fingers on original London reel to reel tapes and they sound really good. Trying to get Satanic Majesty's as well but that reel sells for quite a bit of money.

Andy

Date: November 23, 2010 16:13

Yeah, ok, I see where he gives it a 7. Yup then it is out for me. I already have all the 70's stuff on Japanese import, and quite a few of the 60's on Japanese import as well... but I too would love to hear the slowed down Beggars!

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: November 23, 2010 16:44

Anyone knows if these will be released seperately, I mean, will we be able to by single albums to fx fill in gaps in the vinyl collection?

Date: November 23, 2010 16:58

I guess they will try to shift as many box sets as they can first and then hopefully once that market has been exhausted they may release them individually at sensible prices.

Andy

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 23, 2010 22:32

Unveiling the box sets:

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: November 23, 2010 23:29

NONBOXED RED MONO DECCA labels

That's it. I'm gonna get me a set!!

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 23, 2010 23:34

very very interesting link Andy. I mainly agree with the review just listening to the Aiff files.
I think the Abkco set worth the price.

GZ Digital Media in the Czech Republic already made the disappointing Exile reissue...

It is a pity that everything does not come in Master Studio 24/192 files to buy... with DRM (why not) to protect copyrights. I would not care if I can have the best sound as possible.

About the original LP's it is difficult to find a low matrix number. I tried with Aftermath.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: November 23, 2010 23:48

Aah, you do not need to find a low matrix number to get a good sound. You need to find a low mother number and a stamper letter B or A for example:

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-23 23:51 by Jan Richards.

Date: November 24, 2010 00:34

yes Jan we talked about it already and you gave me advices. That's what I meant but you corrected it >grinning smiley<

I placed an order anyway for the ABKCO. Cannot resist.

But I maintain the search for earlier pressings.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: November 24, 2010 00:57

On a personal note, I picked up the Vinyl Boxsets on friday and was about as excited as a kid in a sweet shop.

Been a stones fan for 21 years, got into 'em when I was 20 and am now 36 over those years I've collected their LP's on vinyl

When I opened the bosexs and looked at each album, they brought back sweet memories of the last 2 decades, where I was what i was doin.

Great stuff. That alone is worth the dosh for me.

Looking forward to locking myself away for a few days with the boxes and my record player and going through them all.

Life is sweeeeeet spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: November 24, 2010 01:41

Is Mean Disposition included on Voodoo Lounge?

Date: November 24, 2010 02:58

I would like to know that too...

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 24, 2010 03:12

...With the exception of Their Satantic Majesties Request there’s not a bad record in the Decca/ABKCO set, and even that misguided psychedelic effort has its moments...
Music ANGLE

eye rolling smileyI'd always like this LP, and btw it's not Satantic but Satanic !winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 24, 2010 03:25

Is a picture worth a thousand words or listens?

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 24, 2010 03:43

You're right my vote goes for the ABKCO Box and thanks for the nice enlarged picturesthumbs up

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 03:44 by Honestman.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 24, 2010 06:58

what a detailed review from Fremer! wish he would revisit and expand his historical guide...

but one thing he said, while off-topic, I want to check:
"Unlike the original Big Hits, which uses electronically reprocessing on the mono mixes, here the monos are mono and the stereos are stereo—and that’s a major improvement."

does he mean the original UK 1966 Big Hits mono is "reprocessed"? I've never heard of this with mono--does he mean it's a "fold-down"? dang, I thought I had a gem of a copy and had never noticed flaws in the sound...

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: November 24, 2010 09:36

I would like to know if Mean Disposition is on VL as well. If so I will buy it.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 24, 2010 11:52

mikeeder
MD is NOT on VL

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 24, 2010 12:09

Will there be a Japanese Special Edition with some bonus?

Date: November 24, 2010 12:15

marquess
Will there be a Japanese Special Edition with some bonus?

I hope not or I will have so spend more €€€

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: November 26, 2010 04:36

bluesinc.
mikeeder
MD is NOT on VL

Why is it so hard to put this song on a vinyl. I don't get it.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: November 26, 2010 05:50

I just picked up a pair today although I've not had the courage open one yet (so beautiful sealed). I understand they are sold out to the trade so they will disappear in the not too distant future...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home