Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
When did Mick change his stage strut?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 22, 2010 21:14

When do you think Mick changed his stage strut and arm motions? I think it was in 1989 when he started using the left arm crooked at the elbow thing.

In earlier tours he would use that free arm to explode his dancing and audience attention. The last few tours (albeit age matters) he seems to extend his arm out like a scarecrow with his elbow bent and just jab point a lot.

Just something for conversation that I have noticed alot in videos.

Re: When did Mick change his stage strut?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 22, 2010 21:21

i don't like it

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 23, 2010 00:09

StonesTod
i don't like it

I don't either

Date: November 23, 2010 00:11

The Sicilian
StonesTod
i don't like it

I don't either

the mick from the 70's wouldn't like it, either.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 23, 2010 00:19

I've been dissatisfied with Mick's onstage shtick for a long time. The last time he had any kind of "cool" was probably the B2B tour, in my opinion. Since NS, it's just been this very forced and unnatural frantic energy that forces people to think "hey look! Mick's in his 60's and he's still moving around like a maniac!!"

The "dancing" has only gotten worse as Mick has been trying to shake off the "they're too old" crap. Now he's just out there trying to prove something each night. Today, touring to Mick is probably more like a year long workout more than it is about the music. Then again, when was it last just "about the music?"

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 23, 2010 00:24

Mick is still a great showman but I can see where Justin is coming from its as if Mick is trying to prove he's 25 again. I love his performances in smaller venues.

Date: November 23, 2010 00:27

i think he needs to just be himself and trust his instincts. it all looks so calculated and contrived most of the time. much like the songs he writes, too. alas.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 23, 2010 00:35

slew
I love his performances in smaller venues.

Yes indeed.

Funny how Mick--this guy who hates nostalgia---is out there on stage trying with all his power to make people think he's still that young guy they remember.

Mick moves around like a chicken with its head cut off---much more today (or during the last tour, rather) than he EVER did in the past. Huge shift. But of course, to Mick if he doesn't jump and wail around the stage---fans will storm out of the stadium and demand their money back. What a fickle group fans they must have!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 23, 2010 00:43

Justin - I wish he would realize that all he needs to do is sing. I get it he's in great shape for 67 years old but stand still or walk over in the stadium to the sides and then focus on singing. If he wants to whoop it up he can do it without running all over the place.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 23, 2010 00:53

i think he changes his " strut" the day he hired a dance coach for himself.....maybe for
his solo tour.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 01:04

Maybe Still Life tour and definitely Steel Wheels.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 23, 2010 01:05

At least he has created his own dance - "the Mick Jagger Strut"!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: November 23, 2010 03:09

I've noticed quite a few times with Mick he likes to have the top of his shirt hanging down off his left shoulder a bit when he's strutting around on stage and sometimes he even looks around to check its hanging down..smoking smiley

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: November 23, 2010 04:27

...the best Jagger moves were featured on the '69 tour- (IMHO) nothing he has done since then on the concert stage has come close....accept no substitutes!!!

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: November 23, 2010 06:31

I don't like that jabbing, either. It looks like he's putting marshal arts moves on the audience, or trying to move every second so every picture has a gesture. I like when he just stands at the mic and sings.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 23, 2010 07:00

what happened to the clapping with his hands right next to his head, often with lips kind of puckered in a macho kind of way. There is more, but it is bed time now.

plexi

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: November 23, 2010 07:09

Sighunt
...the best Jagger moves were featured on the '69 tour- (IMHO) nothing he has done since then on the concert stage has come close....accept no substitutes!!!

78 tour was close. Besides that I agree with you.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 23, 2010 07:14

I still like the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 23, 2010 08:58

I like his 1965-style...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 23, 2010 10:16

StonesTod
The Sicilian
StonesTod
i don't like it

I don't either

the mick from the 70's wouldn't like it, either.

<<< the mick from the 70's wouldn't like it, either >>>

That is very true. I recently sat down and watched Ladies n' Gents, followed by Lets Spend The Night together, a DVD of the B2B tour, Four flicks, and finally ABB. Gotta say, Mick's stage antics and general dancing & jumping about movements have never been surpassed since those early 70's days. About the last "era" that I personally like in this respect is represented by the 81/82 tour, after that - forget it. What I don't particularly like today is all the kind of "jabbing and pointing" he does, and as someone else pointed out - the "bent elbow scarecrow arms". It does not become him anymore, I think it actually detracts from the whole Stones' performance. He needs to calm down a bit.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-23 10:17 by paulywaul.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 23, 2010 10:17

How many grandads do you know that can still dance like that?

Date: November 23, 2010 11:44

Silver Dagger
How many grandads do you know that can still dance like that?

How many grandads do you know that have his job ?

It's time to stop trying to run a marathon during a two hour show Sir Mick, you've done all that stuff. Yeah yeah, we were all mightily impressed, but it's really no longer necessary, please just trust us on this. Just go back to what Sir Keef of Riffs said you always were - and indeed still are - the undisputed master of, and that is "putting energy and interest into the smallest of spaces". And stop all this jabbing and pointing palaver for f**ks sake !! It's becoming annoying !! Regress to 1972 please !!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 11:52

Justin
The "dancing" has only gotten worse as Mick has been trying to shake off the "they're too old" crap. Now he's just out there trying to prove something each night. Today, touring to Mick is probably more like a year long workout more than it is about the music. Then again, when was it last just "about the music?"

People write they like his performances at smaller venues. From the videos I have seen I know why and I aggree. The exception is Shine a Light, where he sometimes jumps really like crazy, doing his "large stage" thing at a small stage. He should have avoided that. On the contrary the Olympia show from 4 Flicks is very good even move-wise :-) besides the fact that it is a fantastic show music-wise.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 23, 2010 12:22

the Olympia show from 4 Flicks is very good even move-wise :-) besides the fact that it is a fantastic show music-wise.

It's a fabulious show! Simple the best.Generally, I like old Jagger performances more than the young's ones. I see that he is not so unbearable beautiful and sexy as he used to be but I'm ok with it.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 23, 2010 13:23

yes.....sometimes (these days) he looks a bit ridiculous with his pointing, convulsive
dancing and facial expressions. i agree that he needs to calm down a bit.

check mick out in this clip......facially he's drooped quite a bit since the ABB tour.
And we all know of Keith's physical problems......so a less frantic theater tour
might be the stage for these 70 yr old rockers.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: November 23, 2010 13:54

sweet neo con
yes.....sometimes (these days) he looks a bit ridiculous with his pointing, convulsive
dancing and facial expressions. i agree that he needs to calm down a bit.

check mick out in this clip......facially he's drooped quite a bit since the ABB tour.
And we all know of Keith's physical problems......so a less frantic theater tour
might be the stage for these 70 yr old rockers.

<<< so a less frantic theater tour might be the stage for these 70 yr old rockers >>>

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ... I knew we'd get there in the end. Brilliant, OK ... here's the deal. Mick reads this thread, takes it all onboard, sees the wisdom of what we - the experts who unquestionably know what's best for the band - duly advise, implements it all on the 2011/2012 tour, and we all live happily ever after !!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 16:32

sweet neo con

This is great. I laugh and I laugh. It is great that Mich has a sence of humor!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 23, 2010 16:48

to break on thru to the other side.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 23, 2010 16:49

If they stop playing stadiums and move down to arenas and theaters, Jagger can work a smaller stage the way he used to. The "Jumpin' Jack Flash" Jagger that we've seen since '68 is great for working those larger venues, but he needs to dial it down back to the deliberate, coy, maracas-shaking bluesman wanna-be Mick that existed in the TAMI Show and all that Ed Sullivan footage.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 16:51

It's MICK JAGGER, still breaking ground, still dancing, still singing and still entertaining millions! ITS ALL GOOD.

It's completely funny that someone likes a '70's kick or point and 25-40 years later its a little different and its I don't like it.
Slow times in Newsville.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1595
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home