Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

One last big radio hit
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 21, 2010 13:04

Is it possible?
Do they have it in them?
Would radio play it, even if they did come up with a wonderful track with a great hook? (Don't Stop was very commercial, I thought, but it didn't matter)

Re: One last big radio hit
Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: November 21, 2010 13:12

It is possible.I think media thinks everything stones do is a big thing.Every new year it is bigger thing.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 21, 2010 13:14

What was the last big radio rock hit?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 21, 2010 13:57

It's possible "but I doubt it" they have to do something very special and new, that will catch the youngsters other wise you won't get airplay.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 21, 2010 14:26

With a great help of Universal as usual,all is possible...Exile deluxe edition:Number one with a great Universal promotion!So,I think that a new single can be potential radio hit!!

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 21, 2010 14:33

Wasn't Streets Of Love no 1 in Italy? On the back of Telecom Italia Mobile using it in their advertising?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 21, 2010 16:43

One last big radio hit

And why the last? and not the first of a new serie of Big radio Hits

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 21, 2010 17:08

studiorambo

Love Is Strong?

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 21, 2010 17:20

Koen
studiorambo

"Streets of Love," failed to become a major hit in the U.S.. By contrast, it went to number one in Spain, Top 10 in Argentina, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Finland, Canada and Top 20 in Norway, Germany, the UK, Greece and Italy.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: November 21, 2010 17:31

NICOS
One last big radio hit

And why the last? and not the first of a new serie of Big radio Hits

Em...because they are ancient

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 21, 2010 22:25

Speaking from the U.S., I don't think there is a such a thing as meaningful radio anymore. At least not in the free, commercial radio sense many of us grew up with. Since I got Sirius satellite radio, which is uncensored and light on commercials, I haven't turned on my home FM radio once. If I forgot to bring CDs, I might put on FM radio in the car on the rare occassion, but I'm not hearing anything memorable.

Unlike Europe, you can hardly see a music video these days in the states. MTV and VHI are just turd pools of 'reality television'. You could pay extra and get video channels, but they're mostly interested in oldies, oh, sorry, 'classic' rock. You really have to scramble anymore to hear or see new, interesting music. Even listening posts in record stores have gone. What am I saying? Record stores are gone. Tower and Virgin and California centric The Wherehouse are history. Amoeba is the only vibrant record store in California (locations in San Francisco and L.A.). And Amoeba only gained its status by default. They came along when there were still plenty of small used CD and record places, and the big boys were still around too. Then everything withered and died. You rarely see an independent record store in L.A. now.

I spend a lot of time scouring mags like Rolling Stone and Mojo to find song recommendations. Then I got to YouTube to see if someone had posted it and I can find the whole song instead of some 20 second snippet on ITunes or Amazon. After jumping through those hoops then I try to find it on those services, which doesn't always happen. I've been frustrated to find hits in Europe that they wouldn't even allow me to download in the U.S. The last uniting radio hit, and I'm not joking, that I remember, was 'The Macarena' from the summer of '96.

So, even if the Stones created a great single, I'm not sure radio would be the format to make it be a big seller. Did their Super Bowl appearance push the sales of 'Rough Justice' or ABB in general? Would performing a single at the opening of the Olympic Games in 2012 boost sales? All the old platforms have disappeared. Even the numbers that used to signal a hit record have changed. Nobody sells 6-7 million copies of anything anymore. There just isn't the audience for it. To be honest I thought 'Rough Justice' was a damn good single. But maybe nobody cares anymore. If hit singles are a young artist's game, then how do you make a bunch of rockin' bluesmen staring 70 in the face relevant? It's looking more and more as if 'Start Me Up' is what we'll look back at as the last, great Stones single.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 22, 2010 18:23

studiorambo

In terms of chart success, wasn't it Mixed Emotions??

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 22, 2010 20:01

studiorambo

We're speaking about the U.S. right?

Mixed Emotions: #5 in the Hot 100

Last minor hit?

Anybody Seen My Baby:
#8 on MTV (last Stones' video to chart)
#3 on Rock Radio (last Stones' single to make the Top 10 on the rock radio)
#45 on Top 40 airplay (last Stones' single to make the Top 100 airplay)

Nobody heard about a Stones' single in the U.S. since then, they placed a couple of songs on the Hot 100 (Saint Of Me #94 and SFTD remix #97) thanks to single sales but on the radio they are out of the map since 1997.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 22, 2010 20:09

SMU was their last song that ruled the airwaves...times have changed...there won't be anymore of those....

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: November 22, 2010 20:45

In the UK at least, Radio 2 (the most popular channel) played Streets of Love and Biggest Mistake very frequently when they were released. They were in one of the stations main playlists but I don't know how this translated to overall UK airplay charts.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 22, 2010 21:10

Send It To me
One last big radio hit new

Do they have it in them?

Yes, most certainly, they do.

Would radio play it, even if they did come up with a wonderful track with a great hook?

Well, the first single from their last album was played in the first week on a rather high rotation that every novelty release gets the honours of being played at, and after that, the stations dropped it completely.

So yes, I guess they would play it, but probably just for a week. No, make that three days.

That's not enough to be considered a radio hit, isn't it?

Radio is not a proper promotional tool for new music anymore since radio stations pick their music to just be pleasant undisturbing politically correct and boring fluff in between commercials.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 22, 2010 21:13

billwebster
Radio is not a proper promotional tool for new music anymore since radio stations pick their music to just be pleasant undisturbing politically correct and boring fluff in between commercials.

this could be the title of an elvis costello song...well, maybe with a few less words....

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 22, 2010 23:03

24FPS
Speaking from the U.S., I don't think there is a such a thing as meaningful radio anymore. At least not in the free, commercial radio sense many of us grew up with.

That's my feeling too.

I'm guilty of only listening to classic rock radio stations....i don't
even know of any top 40 stations anymore. not much new
music appeals to me....except rock & roll by classic artists or
relatively newer bands of similar style (black crowes etc....)

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 23, 2010 01:01

Very good question, "Send it to me"! Wasn't it Charlie who said that he wanted a real hit, and that "Start me up" was the last one? I know that the mediasituation has changed drastically in Western Europe as well as in North America. But I think there are things like radio hits. And I think that they (radio hits) still has a purpose to fulfil; namely create an interest around the artist, in order to sell cd:s or concert-tickets. I mean "Start me up" was thirty years ago: that's a very long time ago!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 23, 2010 01:15

So here is some songs that most probably have had some nice radio time in their given time and location.

ALL THE NUMBER ONE HITS all over the world - any time ever - by The Rolling Stones. By courtesy of Squando [www.iorr.org]

1 Not fade away (France)
2 Tell me (Sweden)
3 It's all over now (UK)
4 Little red rooster (UK)
5 Heart of Stone (Canada)
6 The last time (UK)
7 As tears go by (Canada)
8 Satisfaction (Greece)
9 Get off of my cloud (UK)
10 Under the boardwalk (Australia)
11 19th nervous breakdown (Italy)
12 Paint it black (UK)
13 Let's spend the night together (Germany)
14 Ruby Tuesday (US)
15 We Love You (Holland)
16 Dandelion (Holland)
17 She's A Rainbow (Canada)
18 Jumping Jack Flash (UK)
19 Honky tonk women (UK)
20 Brown sugar (US)
21 Angie (Norway)
22 Hot Stuff (France)
23 Miss you (US)
24 Emotional rescue (Philippines)
25 Start me up (Australia)
26 Waiting On a Friend (Canada)
27 Going To A Go-Go (Canada)
28 Undercover of he Night (Canada)
29 Harlem Shuffle (New Zealand)
30 Mixed emotions (Canada)
31 Anybody seen my baby (Canada)
32 Streets of love (Spain)

Notice that only one country is mentioned - in most cases there are, of course, many others.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-23 01:17 by Doxa.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 01:23

Streets Of Love was a HUGE hit in Italy.

So yes, they can still do it.

But they need to get the song heard which these days means perhaps offloading it immediately for a TV advert, however sad that sounds.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 23, 2010 06:08

They obviously have poor taste in Italy AND Spain...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 23, 2010 08:18

Their era is over, but they could probably have one more victory-lap hit that the public would welcome if they could put something together halfway decent that approximated their classic sound.

Having one now would be like what "New York, New York" was for Frank Sinatra in 1980.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 23, 2010 08:39

They can always play 'The Last Time' and you got you're hit...

2 1 2 0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1308
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home