Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Any regrets Keith?
Posted by: Marie ()
Date: July 12, 2012 07:57

Any regrets Keith? Begins at the 4 minute mark.

Re: Any regrets Keith?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: July 12, 2012 08:24

he regrets Brian leaving the band? i dunno - this to me sounds like Keith's re-writing of history again - as if Brian just up and left with no warnings or cries for help. If he'd said, 'I regret we didn't to more to help Brian;, that would have sounded a lot nicer

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 12, 2012 08:39

Just like the famous Gallagher-brothers Brian would have had his own new band ...nothing to regret....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: July 12, 2012 10:08

HB Said:

"He regrets Brian leaving the band? I dunno - this to me sounds like Keith's re-writing of history again - as if Brian just up and left with no warnings or cries for help. If he'd said, 'I regret we didn't to more to help Brian;, that would have sounded a lot nicer.

HB-all due respect, love your work...but...Keith just talks from the heart, no strings pulled.

He is one of the few people I know who do not try and say things that sound nicer.

A spade is a spade.

It's brutally honest, not politically correct, and that's what gets him in hot water.

"I regret Brian dying, you know, I mean, that was.. I mean, that was a real shock, I mean like (hey, hell.. cant understand that word) why'd you leave the band?!

But uh, cause we were all, we were all very close..."

Those words are just an honest reaction to a question.

Not a calculated answer.

Keith doesnt say the proper thing we're taught to say, he talks the truth.

BRIAN- Why'd you leave us?

That's all he is saying.

Simple, but true.

Not the night he died, but likely a lot earlier.

Why did you leave the band?

Date: July 12, 2012 10:41

Big difference from the Keith interview from Sept 11 on the Tokyo promo video and this one-

Got his game face on now.

Needs his game face on now.

Sober is the new Stones, and he gets the message.

Will be interesting...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 12, 2012 12:51

Rolling Stone,August 19th 1971
Interview by Robert Greenfield with KR at Nellecote,over a 10 day period...

Brian had some kind of genius for finding people,didn´t he ?

KR : He did.He got us together...Charlie,Mick and me.
And they [people] also think that he was one of Stones when he died.But in actual fact,he´d left.We went down to see him and he said,"I can´t do it again.I can´t start again and go on the road again like that again".And we said,"We understand.We´ll come and see you in a couple of weeks and see how you feel.Meantime,how do you want to say.Do you want to say that you´ve left?"
And he said,"Yeah,let´s do it.Let´s say I´ve left and if I want to I can come back." "Because we´ve got to know.We´ve got to get someone to take your place because we´re starting to think about getting it together for another tour.We´ve got itchy feet and we´ve got Mick Taylor lined up."
We didn´t really,we didn´t have Mick waiting in the wings to bring on.But we wanted to know if we should get someone else or if Brian wanted to get back into it again.
"I don´t think I can",he said,"I don´t think I can go to America and do those one-nighters anymore.I just can´t."
Two weeks later,they found him in the pool,man.
In those two weeks,he´d had musicians down there every day.He was rehearsing.I´d talk to him every day and he´d say,"It´s coming along fine.Gonna get a really funky little band together and work and make a record."

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 12, 2012 12:55

He was fired, he didnt leave but he couldnt stay and was already an outsider.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: July 12, 2012 13:17

I wouldn't read too much into it.

I don't think he really meant "How dare he leave the stones", more like "How dare he not be around to celebrate with us", just the words didn't come out right.

I think the fact that he regrets Brian dying is a nice sentiment.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 12, 2012 13:19

hbwriter
he regrets Brian leaving the band? i dunno - this to me sounds like Keith's re-writing of history again - as if Brian just up and left with no warnings or cries for help. If he'd said, 'I regret we didn't to more to help Brian;, that would have sounded a lot nicer

on more listening it seems to be his way of lamenting the death of Brian...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-12 13:28 by duke richardson.

Date: July 12, 2012 16:19

duke richardson
hbwriter

yeah, maybe - didn't mean to simplify it - i mean, we don't know what's really in his head- it just struck me as ind of an odd way to say it

Date: July 12, 2012 16:20

chelskeith
HB Said:

"He regrets Brian leaving the band? I dunno - this to me sounds like Keith's re-writing of history again - as if Brian just up and left with no warnings or cries for help. If he'd said, 'I regret we didn't to more to help Brian;, that would have sounded a lot nicer.

HB-all due respect, love your work...but...Keith just talks from the heart, no strings pulled.

He is one of the few people I know who do not try and say things that sound nicer.

A spade is a spade.

It's brutally honest, not politically correct, and that's what gets him in hot water.

"I regret Brian dying, you know, I mean, that was.. I mean, that was a real shock, I mean like (hey, hell.. cant understand that word) why'd you leave the band?!

But uh, cause we were all, we were all very close..."

Those words are just an honest reaction to a question.

Not a calculated answer.

Keith doesnt say the proper thing we're taught to say, he talks the truth.

BRIAN- Why'd you leave us?

That's all he is saying.

Simple, but true.

Not the night he died, but likely a lot earlier.

Why did you leave the band?

i agree with you, he speaks from the heart - but i also think he gets versions of scenarios stuck in his head that are shaped by his own feelings - we probably all do that to a degree - but we're just not as analyzed as he is (and I appreciate your comment, too)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-12 16:21 by hbwriter.

Posted by: bluesharp ()
Date: July 12, 2012 16:42

If he regrets Brian's death isn't it because he was a bit responsible for it?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 12, 2012 16:53

Could be that seeing pictures of the band in the 60s actually brought back some memories or a feeling of lost.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 12, 2012 16:57

bluesharp

He was not responsible for Brians death in any way.

Date: July 12, 2012 16:59

In the end, all we'll have are his quotes, interviews, and his music, but today is a big day and for almost forty of the fifty years, they have been a major part of my life, and I am thankful for the ride, its been a blast!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-20 06:00 by chelskeith.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 12, 2012 17:07

Redhotcarpet
Could be that seeing pictures of the band in the 60s actually brought back some memories or a feeling of lost.

Probably so.

Date: July 12, 2012 17:21

chelskeith
HB you are right - so many of his stories seem take on a life of their own, some he didnt start and then some he seems to embellish or maybe just smile and not deny the embellished part. And yes, that happens to most people who have stories, especially those who have lots of stories.

His book seemed to set some things straight, but I'd have to go back and read it again, and if I did, I'd probably find exactly what you're speaking about in context as some things would seem like a fishing story to keep up the myth of Keith Richards.

In the end, from my experiences of spending time with him, he's always been very genuine and believe it or not, down to earth. He is way smarter than I thought, and his memory is like that of an elephant.

As an example, when I told him I live outside Sacramento, he immediately told me the story of his getting electrocuted at Memorial Auditorium in the 60s, and the details of being in the hospital, etc. were more descriptive than if someone asked me to recite a story that happened to me thirty plus years earlier.

He also has always been a perfect gentlemen when my wife and I, and sometimes even our kids have been around him. Obviously Doris raised him well, and that shows. This is probably a big reason he has had some riffs with Mick, especially as it relates to women. I'm sure the recent Mick book is just a big rag of gossip, but there are probably some truths in there and when it says that Jerry and Keith asked Mick to see a sex therapist, I dont see Keith pleading with him or getting very involved at all, but would he stand by Jerry after seeing all he has seen and tell Mick, "hey man, maybe you should look into it as she is the Mom to your kids and maybe you should give her some more respect"? I can see that.

I'm not saying he is a saint, but he's kept a pretty healthy relationship with Patti for a long time, and or anyone who has a close friend or a business partner who goes through women like Mick when you are trying to be a good husband and a married guy, that's not easy.

In the end, all we'll have are his quotes, interviews, and his music, but today is a big day and for almost forty of the fifty years, they have been a major part of my life, and I am thankful for the ride, its been a blast!

Fascinating reply, thank you smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 12, 2012 17:21

hbwriter
duke richardson
hbwriter

yeah, maybe - didn't mean to simplify it - i mean, we don't know what's really in his head- it just struck me as ind of an odd way to say it

Yes, it sounded odd but I would give him the benefit of any doubt on that one.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: July 12, 2012 17:24

Love it. He does show his true feelings regarding Brian at times but it's very rare. In another interview in the late 80's -early 90's (can't find it at YT anymore) he talks about Brian and then suddenly stops, looks into the camera and say "He was great". If Keith had given us more of that I'm pretty sure that Brian would have been remembered in a nicer way. Negative campaigning is a bitch.

shortfatfanny
Rolling Stone,August 19th 1971
Interview by Robert Greenfield with KR at Nellecote,over a 10 day period...

Brian had some kind of genius for finding people,didn´t he ?

KR : He did.He got us together...Charlie,Mick and me.
And they [people] also think that he was one of Stones when he died.But in actual fact,he´d left.We went down to see him and he said,"I can´t do it again.I can´t start again and go on the road again like that again".And we said,"We understand.We´ll come and see you in a couple of weeks and see how you feel.Meantime,how do you want to say.Do you want to say that you´ve left?"
And he said,"Yeah,let´s do it.Let´s say I´ve left and if I want to I can come back." "Because we´ve got to know.We´ve got to get someone to take your place because we´re starting to think about getting it together for another tour.We´ve got itchy feet and we´ve got Mick Taylor lined up."
We didn´t really,we didn´t have Mick waiting in the wings to bring on.But we wanted to know if we should get someone else or if Brian wanted to get back into it again.
"I don´t think I can",he said,"I don´t think I can go to America and do those one-nighters anymore.I just can´t."
Two weeks later,they found him in the pool,man.
In those two weeks,he´d had musicians down there every day.He was rehearsing.I´d talk to him every day and he´d say,"It´s coming along fine.Gonna get a really funky little band together and work and make a record."
That is exactly what I believe happend at that meeting. We will probably never know but I don't believe that Brian was fired.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 12, 2012 17:26

His Majesty
bluesharp

He was not responsible for Brians death in any way.

Agree...Even if Brian WAS killed he was already well on his way to doing it himself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1357
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home