Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Would Stones Tour Flop Without Warhorses?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 19, 2010 14:55

Cocaine Eyes
The Sicilian
Women would be the one's in tears. Most, not all women, are probably there to see Mick and hear the big hits.

Take away the war horses and you will have long lines at the female restroom.

Damn, that was really sexist!! Thank God you said "Most, not all....".Geez.

Of course, I was thinking of you when I added the politically correct "Most, not all." eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: November 19, 2010 17:01

My thought about setlists and warhorses has always been this. When playing two or more shows per city, do a "Hits" show and a "Non-Hits" show (or whatever you want to call it). Yes, the Licks Tour did something like this but only in a very few cities. But take it a step further- and this is the key to making it work. When the tour is announced, have Mick explain the concept up front. Let the ticket buyer know that not all shows will be hit-laden. In each city the advertising should clearly designate which night is a "Hits" show and which is a "Non-Hits" show. Print it right on the ticket. As long as you can read, you know what to expect.

And jeez, play 'Out of Control' every damn night already!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 19, 2010 17:05

Roscoe
My thought about setlists and warhorses has always been this. When playing two or more shows per city, do a "Hits" show and a "Non-Hits" show (or whatever you want to call it). Yes, the Licks Tour did something like this but only in a very few cities. But take it a step further- and this is the key to making it work. When the tour is announced, have Mick explain the concept up front. Let the ticket buyer know that not all shows will be hit-laden. In each city the advertising should clearly designate which night is a "Hits" show and which is a "Non-Hits" show. Print it right on the ticket. As long as you can read, you know what to expect.

won't work. the publicity around dylan's gospel tour could NOT have been missed, yet i saw and heard plenty of complaints and folks walking out in disgust. loved it.

Date: November 19, 2010 17:13

The Stones have popular songs which are not warhorses. As an example :

1) Play With Fire - not played in concert since very early 1990.

2) Waiting on a Friend - played at only three shows in Europe ( give or take ); never in Japan,Austrailia,South America,Boston etc..

3) Heart of Stone - Only a handful of times in 2002 since the '60's !

4) At least half of Exile on Main Street has never been played live in concert at all ( Soul Survivor,Let it Loose ) or has been played less than a few times here and there ( Torn and Frayed, Ventilator Blues ) - How many times has Rip This Joint been played since 1975 - 35 + years ago ????

That's just for starters. There is even more milage left in the nostalgia route,if the theme of the last decade continues,WITHOUT becoming overly repetitive.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: November 19, 2010 17:28

Song slots in a Rolling Stones concert are precious commodities. With such an enormous catalogue of hits and famous album cuts - choosing a set list must be a daunting task. In the past tours they could easily turn over the set list because they had an expectation the newer material would be successful on the charts. This sort of chart success has been long gone. Love is Strong & Rough Justice - as much as I like them did not become the next Miss You and Start Me Up as far as the general public is concerned. The lack of success of the newer songs makes the recent set lists more conservative - not the other way around. Does anyone really think ABB would have been a bigger hit if they would played almost the entire album every show as they did for Some Girls in 78?

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 19, 2010 17:30

I doubt they can play anything at this point other than the warhorses...The cabaret version they did of Sway was abysmal.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: November 19, 2010 17:30

StonesTod
Roscoe

won't work. the publicity around dylan's gospel tour could NOT have been missed, yet i saw and heard plenty of complaints and folks walking out in disgust. loved it.

Yeah, but people walking out of Dylan concerts in disgust is a fairly regular occurrence. Mind you, I'm not one of them but there are still a lot of people that go to a Dylan concert expecting him to sound like he did in '66. Man, aren't they surprised?!?! So I'm not sure it's a comparable example.

I acknowledge your point that some people still won't get it, but I still think the concept is worth a shot. But of course, we know it won't happen. HA!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 19, 2010 17:32

Winning Ugly VXII

2) Waiting on a Friend - played at only three shows in Europe ( give or take ); never in Japan,Austrailia,South America,Boston etc..

4) At least half of Exile on Main Street has never been played live in concert at all ( Soul Survivor,Let it Loose ) or has been played less than a few times here and there ( Torn and Frayed, Ventilator Blues ) - How many times has Rip This Joint been played since 1975 - 35 + years ago ????

That's just for starters. There is even more milage left in the nostalgia route,if the theme of the last decade continues,WITHOUT becoming overly repetitive.

Good point, on the well-known songs.

No warhorses would be the best. A few warhorses might be the best hope we have.
The would sound so much better in context of the rarities or little-played tunes.

Rather than trying to compare men and women, a better contrast might be between the hard core fans
(such as here) to the m0re casual fans...the bulk of the usual crowd, perhaps.

I agree too that even if Mick and the band wanted to drop most of the warhorses, a longer pre-tour
rehearsal time is required. Many of us would very much appreciate that.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 19, 2010 17:58

angee
Winning Ugly VXII

Good point, on the well-known songs.

No warhorses would be the best. A few warhorses might be the best hope we have.
The would sound so much better in context of the rarities or little-played tunes.

Rather than trying to compare men and women, a better contrast might be between the hard core fans
(such as here) to the m0re casual fans...the bulk of the usual crowd, perhaps.

I agree too that even if Mick and the band wanted to drop most of the warhorses, a longer pre-tour
rehearsal time is required. Many of us would very much appreciate that.
Not only would a longer pre-tour rehearsal be neccessary. But they would actually have to play the non-warhorses/rarities whatever you want to call them,more often. Instead of giving up on them after 1 or 2 shows.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: November 19, 2010 19:22

No, no, no it will NOT be a flop at all. A Bigger Bang for example reached nr 1 on the world album Charts and it was that album that made people come along, If during that tour they would only have played those songs, it would have of course been a great succes. This is the Rolling Stones and as long as they give a good show every one will enjoy it, after all a Bigger Bang was really a very good album. No, a next tour again with the same old songs is more in threat of becoming a flop than a tour with new songs!!!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 19, 2010 19:33

thabo
No, no, no it will NOT be a flop at all. A Bigger Bang for example reached nr 1 on the world album Charts and it was that album that made people come along, If during that tour they would only have played those songs, it would have of course been a great succes. This is the Rolling Stones and as long as they give a good show every one will enjoy it, after all a Bigger Bang was really a very good album. No, a next tour again with the same old songs is more in threat of becoming a flop than a tour with new songs!!!

Really? People came out to see them last time because of A Bigger Bang?? Not sure if you're being facetious, but for the average concertgoer, I highly doubt that was the case.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 19, 2010 19:36

Jah Paul
thabo

Really? People came out to see them last time because of A Bigger Bang?? Not sure if you're being facetious, but for the average concertgoer, I highly doubt that was the case.

the average concert-goer wasn't even aware of ABB, nor B2B nor prolly even VL...

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: November 19, 2010 20:05

If they didn't play the warhorses, it would be the shoe bombard redux. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is. I hope they can at least mix it up a little more than they have the past couple of tours.

Date: November 19, 2010 20:27

Jah Paul said: "Sorry to say, but we're not talkin' the E Street Band here"

No, thankfully the f*ck not.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: November 19, 2010 20:27

Tour will happen. Start in 2011

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 19, 2010 20:28

its good to be anywhere

Right,because if we were,then we know we would be in for a kick ass show instead of warhorse hell.

Date: November 19, 2010 20:30

Yes, The 2011 Stones Tour will happen.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: November 19, 2010 21:41

bjarke_nl
Maybe we should give Mick more credit for his choices, afterall it's him who's up there and have to sing the songs and maybe more importantly, he can feel the energy from the audience when playing warhorses vs. a new song.

In interviews he's talked about giving the audience the best possible experience every time and he knows/feels the difference between different songs.

If you take the last 5 tours and on average compare to other big artist, I'm pretty sure The Stones are on the top 10% of who's changing their set lists the most.

Having said that, I think the idea situation is for Mick and Chuck to take turn picking one song at the time for each nights set list! And maybe Mick can get two veto's and that's it! :-)

You raise a very good point about the energy generated when the warhorses are played and I am one that would like to see the majority of them dropped, however, I must admit that the warhorses definitely get the attention of the audiences. This definitely has to be considered as a legitimate reason they continue to recycle them tour after tour, much to my dismay.

Date: November 19, 2010 21:55

folke
I remember Stockholm 1998 (indoors at Globen). The songs that worked best were from Bridges over Babylon. Mick was on fire during "Out of control" and the audience could never stop singing the chorus of "Saint of me" after the song had stopped. Mick and Keith were just smiling happily.

In my opinion 'Out Of Control' and 'Saint Of Me' are two of their greatest songs ever! Would love to see them replace HTW and BS, two warhorses I never liked to begin with. 'Flip the Switch' and 'Don't Stop' are two others that I would like to see worked in more often in place of TD and IORR. MR, SFM, and JJF are three I will always want to hear and maybe GS.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 19, 2010 21:57

Just to clarify...when were the greatest hits officially coined "Warhorses"??

Do I recall correctly that the name "Warhorses" was one of possible names being thrown around (not sure if it was official) for what later became 40 Licks? Seemed to remember it starting around then (2002) and sticking ever since.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 19, 2010 23:21

its good to be anywhere

I was just using the E Street Band as an example of a band that isn't afraid to play new stuff, old stuff, really old stuff, cover versions, songs they've never played before, etc. etc. -- and when they decide to do something new or different, they can pull it all together after a soundcheck or two...or even as an audible on stage...and it'll sound great!

Like I said previously, it could have been different the last 20 years, but the Stones made their choice.

Date: November 20, 2010 00:22

Monkeytonkman
A few years ago Iron Maiden released the 'A Matter of Life and Death' LP, hailed in numerous rock publications to be one of the finer records in the cannon. the following tour saw them play the entire record live, followed by a few of their classics as encores.

The response I seem to remember was very mixed. Of course hard core maiden fans loved it, a chance to see the band minus the same old songs. I thought it was a great idea and helped keep the band fresh live. the following year they toured the 'Somewhere Back in Time' concept which was a tour specifically designed around the 'Live after death era, all classics all night.

Right now Maiden have released the 'Final Frontier' LP, and the new tour consists primarily of songs recorded since 2000 onwards.

For me, as a live act, Maiden are an inspiration for other bands, never resting on their laurels, always challenging both themselves and the audience. This has paid off, with them achieving a level of success that even exceeds their 80's prime, No.1 albums, sell-out tours, critical lauding etc. Like ‘em or loathe ‘em, you have to respect the way they stand by their music and re-invent the tours and keep it fresh.

It can be done. I think the Stones just need to have a little more faith in themselves and their music. Of course people will bitch and moan at the concerts for not hearing all the big hits. But if your a fan of the music then the music should do the talking.

Can't argue with anything you have said here. I guess the businessman in Mick always leans towards taking the safest way home. Would love to see them take a few risks now and then.

Date: November 20, 2010 00:27

Roscoe

Excellent ideas! You and I are marching to the same drummer! Charlie Watts of course!

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 20, 2010 00:32

It can be done. I think the Stones just need to have a little more faith in themselves and their music.

Exactly. The Stones could easily play a total of 20 to 24 songs at a concert. Half could be the war horses, and the other half could be lesser known songs. Just intermingle the war horses with the others and that would please everyone. These are the Stones, by God, and they should be able to pull this off with ease. Everyone loves the Stones.

I hope they start each concert with If You Can't Rock Me.

Date: November 20, 2010 00:52

flilflam
It can be done. I think the Stones just need to have a little more faith in themselves and their music.

Exactly. The Stones could easily play a total of 20 to 24 songs at a concert. Half could be the war horses, and the other half could be lesser known songs. Just intermingle the war horses with the others and that would please everyone. These are the Stones, by God, and they should be able to pull this off with ease. Everyone loves the Stones.

I hope they start each concert with If You Can't Rock Me.

I realize it borders on pure fantasy to think that we will ever get a concert void of the warhorses so the next best thing is some sort of compromise like you are suggesting. I would like to see a mixture of new material and rarities, with a few of the recycles sprinkled in. I think every time they produce a new album at least one third of the setlist should be devoted to it. If they committed to this formula then it might just provide additional motivation in the studio to produce the best product possible knowing that six or seven of the songs from the album would be receiving serious stage time.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 20, 2010 01:32

mickscarey

AGAIN? Uh huh.

Anyway, back to reality - with the Licks tour they rehearsed a lot of songs, some never been played live, blah blah blah. The set list did indeed feature some obscure tunes, somewhat obscure tunes and some other somewhat popular tunes along with, I thought, overall, some energetic warhorses (Brown Sugar and Street Fighting Man were pretty damn good - Start Me Up and JJF sucked). However, Keith was asked about Flight 505 and he talked about trying it out but nothing happened.

That's the only tour they've actually ever really done that (ie no new album to hype other than the 1975 tour). They did play some obscurities for the Voodoo tour, along with, of course, the new songs at the time that then fit in really well.

So they have worked on whatever 'other' songs but it's MICK JAGGER who always resorts to the "safety" of the warhorses. It's Jagger's fault, no one else.

Date: November 20, 2010 02:52

skipstone
mickscarey

AGAIN? Uh huh.

Anyway, back to reality - with the Licks tour they rehearsed a lot of songs, some never been played live, blah blah blah. The set list did indeed feature some obscure tunes, somewhat obscure tunes and some other somewhat popular tunes along with, I thought, overall, some energetic warhorses (Brown Sugar and Street Fighting Man were pretty damn good - Start Me Up and JJF sucked). However, Keith was asked about Flight 505 and he talked about trying it out but nothing happened.

That's the only tour they've actually ever really done that (ie no new album to hype other than the 1975 tour). They did play some obscurities for the Voodoo tour, along with, of course, the new songs at the time that then fit in really well.

So they have worked on whatever 'other' songs but it's MICK JAGGER who always resorts to the "safety" of the warhorses. It's Jagger's fault, no one else.

No doubt the setlists fall squarely on the shoulders of Mick, for better or for worse. I realize he has a lot to consider when drawing them up but a little risk taking now and then wouldn't hurt in keeping the shows fresh.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 20, 2010 02:59

Well, there is a more sober way to look at this too. What can we really expect? They are all pensioners (except Ronnie); they haven't played together for approx three years; Keith has undergone a brainsurgery, Charlie a throatcancer operation, Ronnie is a cronic alkoholist, Mick's voice is getting more and more nasal and so on, so on... . Perhaps mediocre version of the warhorses, click-tracks and (partly) playback is the best we can hope for? I mean if this is the last tour, who´s not going to see them, anyway?

Date: November 20, 2010 03:38

Shawn20
Song slots in a Rolling Stones concert are precious commodities. With such an enormous catalogue of hits and famous album cuts - choosing a set list must be a daunting task. In the past tours they could easily turn over the set list because they had an expectation the newer material would be successful on the charts. This sort of chart success has been long gone. Love is Strong & Rough Justice - as much as I like them did not become the next Miss You and Start Me Up as far as the general public is concerned. The lack of success of the newer songs makes the recent set lists more conservative - not the other way around. Does anyone really think ABB would have been a bigger hit if they would played almost the entire album every show as they did for Some Girls in 78?

You make some very good points although I wonder if they committed themselves to the idea that they would do six or seven new songs per tour from a new album that we would see some better results coming forth from the studio? You are correct about ABB, I doubt if any of the songs from that album will find their way onto the next tour, except for maybe the one that should have been it's featured song, 'Under The Radar' which in my opinion has hit single potential.

Date: November 20, 2010 04:16

Stoneage
Well, there is a more sober way to look at this too. What can we really expect? They are all pensioners (except Ronnie); they haven't played together for approx three years; Keith has undergone a brainsurgery, Charlie a throatcancer operation, Ronnie is a cronic alkoholist, Mick's voice is getting more and more nasal and so on, so on... . Perhaps mediocre version of the warhorses, click-tracks and (partly) playback is the best we can hope for? I mean if this is the last tour, who´s not going to see them, anyway?

No doubt the clock is ticking closer to midnight with each passing day. For as much as I whine about set lists, stadium shows, etc., I really do have a great deal of respect for these guys as performers. Actually, I think the term 'joy-givers' fits them better than "performers". Not all performers bring their audiences joy, at least the kind of joy the Stones deliver when they are in their element, (on stage). So maybe you are right. Maybe we are expecting way too much from them, after all they are mortal just like the rest of us, accept Keith of course!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home