Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Emotional Rescue - a unique and brilliant Stones track
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 15, 2010 19:57

I have to say i think 'Emotional Rescue' is one of the Stones most unique and brilliant tracks. From the song's opening half reggae beat, to Ronnie distinctive bass playing, to Jagger's unusual falsetto, the song stands uniquely alone within the Stones cataloque, as representing something completely different. I'm not sure quite who influenced this track. People sometimes say Jagger's falsetto was influenced by the Bee Gees, due to their dominance during the 'Saturday Night Fever' period, but it seems almost more Prince like than Barry Gibb to my ears. Then there is the unusual half reggae type beat, and Jagger's spoken words towards the end, not forgetting the saxophone. I'm not sure i'd class it as a dance song, or disco song, really. The Stones were definitely aspiring to still be creative at this point in time, even if on occasions they were only truly successful intermittently. I class 'Emotional Rescue' as a huge success.

Re: Emotional Rescue - a unique and brilliant Stones track
Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: November 15, 2010 20:01

Well to each his own ...
To my ears, it pretty much sucks

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 15, 2010 20:15

can you explain what you mean by "half" reggae beat?

agreed that to categorize this song as "disco" seems hasty and obtuse. I guess it's the bass drum. But it's not really a song one can dance to, more of dream/trance type of track, perhaps movie music.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 15, 2010 20:19

congrats, Marv, on a perfect example of a thread-crap! True skill, there. Anything else you don't like these days? Do tell--or better yet, find someone posting about them and say it there.

Date: November 15, 2010 20:27

Edward Twining
I have to say i think 'Emotional Rescue' is one of the Stones most unique and brilliant tracks. From the song's opening half reggae beat, to Ronnie distinctive bass playing, to Jagger's unusual falsetto, the song stands uniquely alone within the Stones cataloque, as representing something completely different. I'm not sure quite who influenced this track. People sometimes say Jagger's falsetto was influenced by the Bee Gees, due to their dominance during the 'Saturday Night Fever' period, but it seems almost more Prince like than Barry Gibb to my ears. Then there is the unusual half reggae type beat, and Jagger's spoken words towards the end, not forgetting the saxophone. I'm not sure i'd class it as a dance song, or disco song, really. The Stones were definitely aspiring to still be creative at this point in time, even if on occasions they were only truly successful intermittently. I class 'Emotional Rescue' as a huge success.

Me neither, but Mayfield, Prince or Bee Gees wouldn't be the worst guess, I think.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: November 15, 2010 20:28

I think its a Great Stones song...I loved it when it 1st came out.. By the way it was a great dance track!
I met more girls on the dance floor then any other Stones song..They played it a lot in the Philly area when it 1st
was released.. Great dance song...imo.

It also shows why the Stones are the very best..They did it all..And this song covers it all..Except country...ha.

I'll be your knight in shinning armor!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 15, 2010 20:34

I always loved this track. Love the lyrics. It's a groovy track pushed by Ronnie's fantastic bass.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 15, 2010 22:01

Fantastic song.

A Fine Arab Charger
is a bit corny, but damn nice interplay between guitars and sax as well as rhythm section.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 15, 2010 22:11

I think the song irritates some who feel every Stones song should be chuckberry rock and roll. I find the song is a close cousin to 'Miss You', very black base line, Jagger 'raps' in between singing falsetto, a discoish beat. Definitely Wood's best bass outing on a Stones record. Doesn't sound like there's a lot of Keith influence. It's fun.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 15, 2010 23:23

Edward Twining

Edward,
I was about to rant in regard to your Jagger-is-Shallow posts somewhere else and now you've made me applaud you here!

This is an excellent song, and people seem to forget how popular it was at the time. It is an extension to Miss You in many ways, the subject matter, the R&B grooves and its totally original. I remember the first time I heard it on some little radio and I didn't know what to make of it: that weird syncopated keyboard riff was unlike anything else they had ever done, but it grooved so beautifully.
A very underrated classic IMO. And Edward,,
This is an example of Jagger doing something so quirky and unexpected and yet very heartfelt. The way he goes into his normal voice toward the middle and sings those lines.....'I was dreamin' last night..I was cryin'.....you should be mine....'
How can you say that this is all just fluff and show on Jagger's part? I don't think Jagger has sounded this sexy since. If it were just 'shallow' on the man's part, it wouldn't have been this sexy. You can't fake that kind of carnal longing in a song. If it sounds real, it is.

I was at a Stones tribute band show a few years ago in Houston and out of all the songs and bands that played that gig, this song had the most enthusiastic response. One guy and two girls got up on stage started playing, that unique beat began and when the audience recognized it, they went nuts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-15 23:29 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 15, 2010 23:28

24FPS
I think the song irritates some who feel every Stones song should be chuckberry rock and roll. I find the song is a close cousin to 'Miss You', very black base line, Jagger 'raps' in between singing falsetto, a discoish beat. Definitely Wood's best bass outing on a Stones record. Doesn't sound like there's a lot of Keith influence. It's fun.

+1

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 15, 2010 23:28

This was done mostly by me, Bill and Charlie with loads of overdubs. I'm not the only person to have sung in falsetto - Prince did three albums singing like that around this time. I learned the trick from Don Covay. I got it from the record Mercy, Mercy where he sings falsetto as a harmony. By the end, I've gone off into another more reggae-inspired voice, but at the end of a track lasting 5 minutes and 43 seconds, you have to try everything.

- Mick Jagger, 1993

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 00:01

I love it. Before I heard it the first time someone described it to me as "like the Bee Gees." And I thought, "What the eff?" But then I heard it and liked it and and knew what he meant.

I've always admired Mick for doing stuff that other rock singers might think too effete. Like doing a Bee Gees sounding track, or singing, "I was a fag in New York, I was gay in L.A." and "Maybe I'll become a playboy, hang around in gay bars and move to the West side of town."

I don't think Eddie Vedder would venture similarly.

Reminds me how Jerry Hallin her new book says about Mick, "I loved the way he didn't seem to care a hoot what people thought of him."

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: November 16, 2010 00:34

Edward Twining

I agree. I heard it today on the radio it's been a while. My copy of ER is vinyl, need to get the CD.

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 16, 2010 00:42

Unique song, absolutely. Look at it this way - the chicks LOVE this song. Not so much with You Got Me Rocking or Don't Stop or thousands of other blah blahs. But it is a cool song. The groove in this tune is astounding. The song, it's very savvy. Genius in some aspects - way better than Miss You too.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 01:16

Very unlike their usual output. I love this track. In my experience, most people who hear it do too, especially when we get the wonderful sax come in.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 16, 2010 01:46

Back when I was but a wee boy, my only Stones music was The London Years and Jump Back. I immediately took a liking to Emotional Rescue. The first time I heard the radio edit/40 Licks edit, it felt like my ear drums had been torn apart with a knitting needle.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 01:47

Title5Take1
I love it. Before I heard it the first time someone described it to me as "like the Bee Gees." And I thought, "What the eff?" But then I heard it and liked it and and knew what he meant.

I've always admired Mick for doing stuff that other rock singers might think too effete. Like doing a Bee Gees sounding track, or singing, "I was a fag in New York, I was gay in L.A." and "Maybe I'll become a playboy, hang around in gay bars and move to the West side of town."

quote]

And I love how he delivered those lines...with a wink and tongue in cheek. He seemed to be teasing us with lines like that.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 16, 2010 01:54

Listen, with intent, at the last bit of the song, the sax and guitar playing each other - a kind of weaving but probably more along the lines of a call and response. That's GOT to be Keith doing that, it's very Keith-esque playing. There are some fantastic melody lines from the guitars in this song - but they're mixed quite low. They MAKE one listen if they get a bit of a hint of it. Some really neat things going on in the song overall but the guitar/sax interplay is a really nice touch. Very underated I think, that aspect of how the Stones layer things like that. Or maybe not - maybe it's just this song! Great song to listen to on headphones.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 16, 2010 02:10

I don't miss the guitars I must say,considering the Stones as a guitar band.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 16, 2010 02:33

I liked that song at the time, it was the late 70-ties and disco was still in. Mick does well with the falsetto. The rest of the album was not really in touch with the times though (with perhaps some exception). Their best disco-song is, off course, "Miss You". But that is another story... .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 16, 2010 05:30

when it first came out, i HATED it...hey, I was 15.

I learned to love it quickly (after falling in love with the She's So Cold single) and I do think it stands the test of time very well.

I also prefer this to Miss You, although I've always equated this as the 'follow-up'.

It stands on its own very well...and is unique in the same way I find "Undercover Of The Night" very unique.

Good pick Edward!

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 16, 2010 07:11

cc
can you explain what you mean by "half" reggae beat?

cc, that's Charlie's description of 'Emotional Rescue' at the time, so i've gone ahead and used it. Anyway it sounds about right.

stupidguy2, you won't hear me saying too many bad things about Jagger up to and including 'Tattoo You', with regards to him appearing shallow. Not everything was great musically, of course, but Jagger still had that spark of creativity, which weaved its way in and out of the Stones output between 73 and 81. Even on 'Undercover' he displays a few very good ideas, although by this time i don't think he's quite firing on all cylinders, when it comes to him fulfilling those songs potential, in terms of the finished recordings. Moving on to, say, 'Mixed Emotions', 'You Got Me Rocking', 'Don't Stop', 'Streets Of Love' etc. there is a world of difference between these songs in terms of creativity, and originality, and 'Emotional Rescue'. Jagger really did hit the bullseye with 'Emotional Rescue', so to speak (and perhaps for one of the final times), although i can understand why some fans may find it a little less palatable, than perhaps the Stones more celebrated style. I would agree with those who say 'Emotional Rescue' is perhaps more effective in a creative sense than 'Miss You', in terms of it being unique within the Stones repertoire. I always think of 'Hot Stuff', 'Miss You' and 'Emotional Rescue' as the continuation of a theme, so to speak, and by 'Emotional Rescue', the theme reaches its natural conclusion. There's not much further you can take it after that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-16 07:22 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 16, 2010 07:27

It's a terrible song, poorly executed. At the time, it was easily the worst first single they'd pulled from an album, even worse than Angie. Subsequent first singles have surpassed it, however (Anybody Seen My Baby, Streets of Love, to name two).

The "tonight and every night ... Arab charger" bit is particularly embarrassing. Trying to sound seductive and just sounding pathetic.

Keef's involvement seems minimal, if he's there at all. That's gotta be Wood playing along with the sax at the end.

Jagger should NEVER sing falsetto! His falsetto ruins everything on which he uses it, even Worried About You.

I hope the heaping, steaming pile of rat dung known as Emotional Rescue never makes it into the live setlist. Just sayin'!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-16 07:36 by ab.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 16, 2010 08:20

24FPS
I find the song is a close cousin to 'Miss You',

I thinks it's more like the retarded little brother.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 16, 2010 09:18

It's apparent from the negative and positive reviews for this particular song, that the Stones are indeed the greatest Pop band of all time. They are not just a guitar band and these excursions into uncharted territory are what separates them from just being a rock and roll band. They were never intended to be a rock and roll band only. Brian was a blues player with jazz leanings. Mick was interested in whatever made them famous. It's not just Keith's band. Brian is probably most responsible for sending them off in strange little musical adventures that only enhanced the reputation of the band. Continental Drift, probably another divisive song, appears to have been the last of the great Stones's experiments. Emotional Rescue is fun. It's Mick's project and he's not locked into a set sound. Keith may snigger at songs like this, but he's certainly written enough throwaway musical riffs to lose his credibility. He used to be musically creative. Isn't Ruby Tuesday one of his? Emotional Rescue comes from a time when they were still daring. The high wire act is long over.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 11:10

Unique? Yes (mercifully)
Brilliant? See above

Posted by: JJFlash2010 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 12:03

It is a daringly creative song with a unique atmospheric quality. I heard it on the radio in the car a few days ago, for the first time in a long time, and had to turn it up loud.

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: November 16, 2010 12:34

Well I think 24PS sums it up perfectly. ER proves what a great band they are in that they'll try stuff no other rock band would even dream of doing. Could you imagine Lynyrd Skynrd, Aerosmith or Springsteen coming up with something like ER or Miss You or Undercover? The Stones swing, thay always have done and that's what seperates and elevates them from the rest.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 12:54

"unique and brilliant" Yes it is. GREAT!

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home