Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Had any of you heard of Freddie Sessler before Bill German's book?
Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 5, 2015 23:39

.."Stones people magazine" fanzine from the Netherlands introduced Freddy in its various issues around 2000.....

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: March 6, 2015 00:47

in his book Ronnie, Ron Wood talks about Freddie as a scary guy...forcing pills into Ronnie mouth etc...bad dude. the LV coke thing sent him packing as I recall.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 6, 2015 00:51

ROPENI
Mr Sessler,took Tony Sanchez place,as Keith, main supplier of illegal substances,and they did developed,a long lasting friendship, until Michael Cohl put a stop to Freddie's,hanging around the band for obvious reasons.
Mr Sessler was a cool dude,he always had the best quality stuff.

According to Bill German, Freddie was still very much "calling the shots" during the Cohl supervised tours, at least until VL.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 6, 2015 02:45

gotdablouse
ROPENI
Mr Sessler,took Tony Sanchez place,as Keith, main supplier of illegal substances,and they did developed,a long lasting friendship, until Michael Cohl put a stop to Freddie's,hanging around the band for obvious reasons.
Mr Sessler was a cool dude,he always had the best quality stuff.

According to Bill German, Freddie was still very much "calling the shots" during the Cohl supervised tours, at least until VL.

Last time I saw him was in San Jose 1999, NS tour. He could barely stand on his feet, nearly fell on my knees while I was sitting. Could never really connect with this guy, but realized that a lot of people - fans obviously - were licking his feet, so to speak. Then again, I did not need to!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 6, 2015 04:44

He's mentioned in a few Led Zeppelin bios, too. From what I gather, the people working with the band didn't care much for him.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 6, 2015 07:24

ROPENI
until Michael Cohl put a stop to Freddie's,hanging around the band for obvious reasons.

If Michael Cohl could tell Keith or anybody in the band who they couldn't have hanging around I'd be very surprised. Is there a story behind this comment?

peace

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: March 6, 2015 07:45

Without Freddie I wouldnt have gotten in the Double Door in Chicago in 97. Was always a nice guy to us.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: March 6, 2015 11:57

I knew Freddy for 25 years, I beleive I introduced Bill German to Freddy or was helpful in Bill getting to know Freddy. Back in the late 70's I recall Freddy asking me who this kid Bill German was, I told Freddy Bill was a cool guy and a big Stones fan. I took Bill along with me on the 1981 Stones tour (I think it was Bill's first time traveling to see the Stones) and I helped get Bill into a bunch of shows. I beleive I took Bill to one of his first Rolling Stones concerts.

As for Freddy,he was a tremendous fan of the Rolling Stones and a dear friend.
I get really upset when people refer to Freddy as a drug dealer. I know of no-one that he ever sold drugs to. FREDDY was NOT, I repeat NOT a drug dealer. Freddy liked to party and Freddy always had pleanty of "Party favors". Freddy was super generous with peolple, for that reason I saw a lot of hanger on'ers hanging with Freddy. Some were kind of shadey, so I guess people who didn't know Freddy well or were very distant from this "parting life style" that were in the same hotel room with Freddy, took it upon themselves to wrongly classify Freddy
as a drug dealer. Another thing I don't like is when that is all people think about Freddy, "drugs". Freddy lived a really amazing life, he knew/was friends with many, many famous people (Elizabeth Taylor, Frank Sinatra and big name politicians... not just music artist) and many Stones fans and he was kind to everyone. Freddy was a millionaire and broke and a millionaire and broke a few times. Freddy was a philanthopist in the late 50's and early 60's and He helped save Carnegie Hall way back then, Freddy had shown me an article from one of the NY papers back then. Freddy was a history buff and so was Keith and that is one of the many things they bonded over, they also love to play dominoes. Feddy started a clinic that used snake venom to help try to cure MS.. One of the poeple Freddy helped was Ronnie Lane, Ronnie had gone from hardly being able to get out of bed to ridding a bike. But sadly I had heard that a lot of money had to change hands before certain drugs can get the correct approval they need to go on the market, even when test show that they were working. The snake venmon serum Freddy and the doctors he was working with on this new drug, never got future then the trial stage. Freddy spent a lot of money to get what he could of the drug before it was gone, so he could continue to help Ronnie Lane out.
Stones fans that knew Freddy, knew if Freddy had extra tickets or backstage passes he would go out of his way to help give them tickets and sometime passes (OH! BTW in 99 % of the time he never asked anyone for money for the tickets or passes). There is so much more about this man that people don't know, and yes people have flaws but with Freddy his kindness & generosity way out weighed his flaws. For those that never met Freddy I would say you really missed meeting an amazing person. Freddy rest in peace,

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 6, 2015 15:29

for videoJames-

did Freddy have any family, did he have kids? I think his story should be wider known, (book) in light of all his efforts as you say, to develop the drug you mentioned, that helped Ronnie Lane. FS surely had a rich life and was one of the great characters of the 20th century

a true survivor..

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 6, 2015 15:32

Well said VideoJames!!!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 6, 2015 15:50

duke richardson

a true survivor..

Yeah, it is a a Holocaust survivor we are talking about here. And even Stalin's Siberia came familiar to him... and incredible life story.

Thanks VideoJames for giving us some perspective.

- Doxa

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: March 6, 2015 15:57

dadrob
in his book Ronnie, Ron Wood talks about Freddie as a scary guy...forcing pills into Ronnie mouth etc...bad dude. the LV coke thing sent him packing as I recall.

Freddie was a GREAT guy!

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: March 6, 2015 15:58

duke richardson
for videoJames-

did Freddy have any family, did he have kids? I think his story should be wider known, (book) in light of all his efforts as you say, to develop the drug you mentioned, that helped Ronnie Lane. FS surely had a rich life and was one of the great characters of the 20th century

a true survivor..

Freddie had at least 5 kids. I knew three of them. Susan, Stefan and Jeff. Sadly Stefan and Jeff died tragically.

Freddie got me in anywhere and everywhere..and introduced me to JC which made it even better

Date: March 6, 2015 16:27

alhavu1
duke richardson
for videoJames-

a true survivor..

Freddie had at least 5 kids. I knew three of them. Susan, Stefan and Jeff. Sadly Stefan and Jeff died tragically.

Freddie got me in anywhere and everywhere..and introduced me to JC which made it even better

well he would be a great person to write about..

an extensive piece in the New Yorker, or Vanity Fair..if not a biography.

of course most folks would be like "Freddy who?"...

thanks alhavu 1, and videoJames. for the info

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 6, 2015 17:15

duke richardson
for videoJames-

a true survivor..

Freddy's son posts on here sometimes.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: March 6, 2015 17:22

Elmo Lewis
duke richardson
for videoJames-

a true survivor..

what screen name does he use

( not being nosy, just interested...)

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: March 6, 2015 17:34

JEFF WAS MARRIED TO MACKENZIE PHILLIPS FOR A SHORT TIME.

Date: March 6, 2015 20:54

VideoJames

I get really upset when people refer to Freddy as a drug dealer.

No disrespect to you or Freddy but I believe that description came from none other than Ronnie Wood, who spent a lot of time around him. I believe you and others that Freddy was not a drug dealer but no one is denying he wasn't a generous drug supplier.

It's easy to see why people associate him with drugs when the great majority of stories we hear about him revolve around them; in books by Keith and Ronnie and books about David Bowie, etc., they were obviously a big part of his life and his main connection to rock royalty. His own quotes in Life discourse his love for drugs. No judgement, it is what it is, Freddy was part of the scene that existed before he arrived, and by all accounts he added some spice. smoking smiley

It's nice to hear other stories about him and how he helped lots of folks get into shows, tried to help the late great Ronnie Lane and overcame a horrendously difficult start in life. The man obviously had an infectious zest for life and was his own man, that comes through all the other stories. RIP Freddy.

peace

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 7, 2015 00:07

Naturalust
VideoJames

I get really upset when people refer to Freddy as a drug dealer.

No disrespect to you or Freddy but I believe that description came from none other than Ronnie Wood, who spent a lot of time around him. I believe you and others that Freddy was not a drug dealer but no one is denying he wasn't a generous drug supplier.

It's easy to see why people associate him with drugs when the great majority of stories we hear about him revolve around them; in books by Keith and Ronnie and books about David Bowie, etc., they were obviously a big part of his life and his main connection to rock royalty. His own quotes in Life discourse his love for drugs. No judgement, it is what it is, Freddy was part of the scene that existed before he arrived, and by all accounts he added some spice. smoking smiley

It's nice to hear other stories about him and how he helped lots of folks get into shows, tried to help the late great Ronnie Lane and overcame a horrendously difficult start in life. The man obviously had an infectious zest for life and was his own man, that comes through all the other stories. RIP Freddy.

peace

Well put.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: March 7, 2015 02:02

alhavu1
duke richardson
for videoJames-

a true survivor..

Freddy had 5 children, daughters Amy & Suasan sons Jeff, Stefan & Larry. Sadly all three sons have passed away. Larry was riding his bike and fell off it and hit his head on the curb and never recovered from the fall. OH! BTW.. another intersting thing about Freddy's life. Freddy was Sly Stone's best man at Sly's wedding at MSG. Oh!BTW Freddy was very anti Free basing/crack and Heroin and was alawys there to help those trying to kick the habit.

Date: March 7, 2015 02:18

VideoJames
alhavu1
duke richardson
for videoJames-

a true survivor..

Freddy had 5 children, daughters Amy & Suasan sons Jeff, Stefan & Larry. Sadly all three sons have passed away. Larry was riding his bike and fell off it and hit his head on the curb and never recovered from the fall. OH! BTW.. another intersting thing about Freddy's life. Freddy was Sly Stone's best man at Sly's wedding at MSG. Oh!BTW Freddy was very anti Free basing/crack and Heroin and was alawys there to help those trying to kick the habit.

Curious what happened to Jeff and Stefan?

peace

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 7, 2015 03:02

duke richardson
Elmo Lewis
duke richardson
for videoJames-

a true survivor..

John Henry? I could be wrong, though.

Date: March 7, 2015 03:11

alimente
duke richardson
Elmo Lewis
duke richardson
for videoJames-

a true survivor..

John Henry? I could be wrong, though.

With all three sons sadly deceased they are obviously not posting. Pretty sure johnhenry was one of Stefan's friends who often went to shows with him and Stefan posted a few times on his account.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-07 05:15 by Naturalust.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 7, 2015 03:19

Never heard of him smoking smiley

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 7, 2015 07:22

He was on tour with the band up to the end.
I remember I saw him on the BtB tour

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: lucifrshmr ()
Date: June 3, 2015 04:24

One of life's colorful characters. Met Freddy and Stefan in '97, and had the unfortunate meeting with Jeff in '98.
Sadly the book Freddy wanted to do never materialized before he passed away. He had much better stories than Ronnie and Keith.
VideoJames could you please drop me a email.

[/URL][/img]

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: June 3, 2015 04:47

Title5Take1
Sessler makes a big splash in both LIFE and UNDER THEIR THUMB, and I'm surprised he never appeared on my fan radar before.

Freddie was on "fans radars".
The internet has changed everything, of course.
As BV alluded to, if you follow the band while they tour you eventually meet most of the support staff.....and often the band themselves.
I was buying tickets off Freddie in the late 70's and he even helped me out on a couple of Steel Wheels shows.
Those were the days when guys like Freddie and Callaghan always had a pocket full of tickets to use at their discretion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-03 04:49 by souldoggie.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 3, 2015 09:16

dcba
The 1st mention for me might be Chet Flippo's book (published in the 80's) in which he mentions with tons of irony the fact that Keith and "hitchhiker" Sessler had previously crossed path during the 75 tour.
yes, but Flippos book was based partially on his tour coverage. I recall that Sessler's name was known to fans who followed the Stones from during the 75 tour, when his name was mentioned in connection with Keith's bust and it was obvious from th beginning that he was employed by the Stones as a "holder"for keith.

Date: June 3, 2015 09:44

71Tele
Keith devotes more time in his book to Freddy Sessler than he does to Mick Taylor or Bill Wyman. Shows you where his affections were, if not his priorities...

Father figure...

A role I doubt Taylor or Bill wanted to or could fill smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-03 09:45 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 3, 2015 10:58

71Tele
Keith devotes more time in his book to Freddy Sessler than he does to Mick Taylor or Bill Wyman. Shows you where his affections were, if not his priorities...

No problem with that. MT & BW were just colleagues to him; without much personal affection (as opposed to Ronnie, f.i.) for them.
Sessler obviously was his mate.
And LIFE is the chronic of his life, the way he sees & recalls it; NOT a book about Rolling Stones music.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home