Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chris Spedding in (Brit mag) Classic Rock...
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 13, 2010 00:55

...and he brings a new light on the post-MT era. In short : about a month before the start of the 75 Tour [that is right before the Montauk rehearsals took place?] he got a phone call from Jagger, asking if he could/would join the Stones. Since CS already had other touring commitments he declined the offer.

Looks like Jagger tried very hard to get rid of honest Ron, and put another man to face Keith onstage. Didn't Mick slap Ronnie during the final June 1 NOLA rehearsals cos the band was sounding like shit...
(the NOLA gigs were great though).

Re: Chris Spedding in (Brit mag) Classic Rock...
Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: November 13, 2010 01:21

<<Looks like Jagger tried very hard to get rid of honest Ron>>

If you read the interview Stu gave to Lisa Robinson [published in Creem Mag] at the end of tota,
you'll find that it was Mick who insisted on having Ronnie on board

Not sure where you got the 'slapping'-affair from. It's not mentioned in Flippo's book
- and he was basically the only eye witness to the final rehearsal

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-13 04:38 by Sohoe.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 13, 2010 08:39

In an alternate universe, Ronnie stays with Faces, and the Stones record this Spedding tune:
[www.youtube.com]

Not a bad outcome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-01 15:24 by loog droog.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 13, 2010 10:24

Melody Maker - January 25 1975

One of the big buzzes that circulated the industry a couple of weeks ago was that Chris was a hot contender to replace Mick Taylor in the Rolling Stones.
How do break this suggestion to Chris. he looked decidedly non-committal, and the subject had to be mentioned twice to draw a response.

Did the Stones ask you to join them? (Shakes head).

"No they didn't. And if I was in the Stones, I'd only be a back-up man, and I want to do my own thing.
There's no truth in that at all. When Sharks came up I was ready for it.
Now I have to think twice about joining another band - the way things are at the moment.
The way the business is at the moment I couldn't afford to be in a band. You have to save up to join a band."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-13 10:26 by Toru A.

Date: November 30, 2016 23:11

"Yes, Mick Jagger did phone me after Mick Taylor left the Stones, but it was quite a long time afterwards. All of the music papers were full of speculation. It’s a bit like when the Pope dies and you get pictures of all these people who might succeed him. I was on a list with everyone from Jeff Beck downwards. But they didn’t contact me at all until six months after Mick Taylor had left. By that time I’d recorded Motorbikin’, done the album with Roy Harper [HQ] and was working with John Cale. Then suddenly I get a call from Mick Jagger, saying: “Y’know, the Stones have got a tour of America coming up next month. Do you fancy it?” But it was too late. I was already booked up. A week later there was an announcement that Ron Wood had joined."

[teamrock.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 1, 2016 01:57

I don't think I have heard of Chris Spedding...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-01 02:24 by Koen.

Date: December 1, 2016 02:32

I guess some of (most of?) Sex Pistols songs were played by Chris.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: December 1, 2016 04:25

He was also second guitar with Roxy Music a couple of tours ago. The Sharks' Jab It in Yore Eye is an old fave. Whatever happened to their singer?

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: December 1, 2016 11:07

This is a section of an article of mine on a concert of Chris Spedding in Frankfurt in 2002. There I could interview him about the matter

Abgesehen von diesen Meriten, sind es zwei Ereignisse der Musikgeschichte, die mit Chris Spedding in Verbindung gebracht werden. Spedding wurde einst als Nachfolger von Mick Taylor bei den Rolling Stones gehandelt und er gilt als der Pate der Punkmusik. Ein rundum zufriedener, von britischer Höflichkeit und Humor gesegneter Star (ohne solche Allüren), hatte in Frankfurt eine eher zwiespältige Haltung zu seiner Vergangenheit.
Er sei nicht der Pate (englisch: „godfather“), sondern der „grandfather of Punk“. Schließlich habe er mit „over thirty“ die ersten Demobänder der Sex Pistols produziert (entgegen hartnäckiger Gerüchte aber nie mitgespielt!). Und: Spedding stand zwar mit 13 weiteren Namen auf der Liste der Musikpresse, aber vorgespielt haben sieben andere, ehe Ronnie Wood genommen wurde.
Naja, so Spedding, eigentlich habe er die Alben der Stones sowieso nie gemocht, aber die „Forty Licks“-Hit-CD habe er sich gekauft.

In brief and in English:
He NEVER rehearsed with the Stones, seven (out of 13) did, he says. Anyway. he never liked the Stones' Music, only bought 40 Licks.
He rates himself the GRANDfather but not GODfather of Punk as he produced the first demos (not the final songs)of the Sex Pistols but NEVER PLAYED with them.

Date: December 1, 2016 11:57

Don't know Chris Spedding, and I really doubt he was anywhere near being offered the job..

Date: December 1, 2016 12:30

Chris Spedding was music editor for Details magazine from 1985 to 1988.
Keith On Keeping On--interview with Keith Richards
[web.archive.org]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 1, 2016 12:50

Fanks Toru A .... good interview .....

CS Well, he was always the blues purist, wasn't he? (Brian)

KR Very much so, yes. He would never even listen to Jimmy Reed, and hardly any of Muddy Waters' electric stuff. we turned him on to Jimmy Reed and Bo Diddley. He was into guys like Sunnyland Slim and Tampa Red. Elmore James was about as far down the road as he'd gone with electric blues. Even people like Buddy Guy - I think he thought they were too showman-y. Chuck Berry, too. But he did get into it. I had a lot of trouble in those days, and I nearly didn't even get in the Stones because I insisted on banging out Chuck Berry songs."we don't want no rock'n'roll 'round here," he'd say. But i got through that one pretty quick. for a while he was ostracized from the blues purist societies of London for that. Mind you, so was Muddy waters for a while.

ROCKMAN

Date: December 1, 2016 13:00

Toru A
Chris Spedding was music editor for Details magazine from 1985 to 1988.
Keith On Keeping On--interview with Keith Richards
[web.archive.org]

Great! Thanks for posting thumbs up

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 1, 2016 13:18

CS Another thing I noticed on that old ed Sullivan clip was that Mick was just standing there singing - nothing like what you see these days!
KR To me, as long as we've known each other, I've always thought Mick's most brilliant thing was that he could work in an area two foot square and give a very exciting performance. I keep saying to him, "Don't worry about it, save your breath, you don't have to look upon it as an athletic stunt anymore. Just stand there and sing."

grinning smiley I wonder if Mick ever told him back "You dont have to pose so much, Just stand there and play".

Or maybe Mick actually won out and it was him who told Keith to start posing more

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-01 13:18 by HankM.

Date: December 1, 2016 13:27

HankM
CS Another thing I noticed on that old ed Sullivan clip was that Mick was just standing there singing - nothing like what you see these days!
KR To me, as long as we've known each other, I've always thought Mick's most brilliant thing was that he could work in an area two foot square and give a very exciting performance. I keep saying to him, "Don't worry about it, save your breath, you don't have to look upon it as an athletic stunt anymore. Just stand there and sing."

grinning smiley I wonder if Mick ever told him back "You dont have to pose so much, Just stand there and play".

Or maybe Mick actually won out and it was him who told Keith to start posing more

Keith hadn't perfected his posing at this point grinning smiley

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: December 1, 2016 14:34

Toru A
I guess some of (most of?) Sex Pistols songs were played by Chris.

I don't think he played on any of them.

Date: December 1, 2016 14:44

"Sex Pistols

It was clear that, in 1976, people wanted something new, but I could never understand why the people in the music business couldn’t immediately see it. They were very resistant to the Pistols, they thought they were terrible. They were frightened and intimidated by them.

I took the songs to Mickie Most first of all [Spedding recorded their first demos], but he couldn’t figure out the Pistols at all, though his teenage son loved them. I thought the Pistols were just what we needed. They played me all their tunes and I chose the best three that they had [Problems, Pretty Vacant and No Feelings]. I thought they were the ones to get a deal with. Which they did, with EMI. And all that stuff about them not being able to play their instruments was rubbish. When Mickie Most heard them he presumed the guitar player was me. And so did [eventual Pistols producer] Chris Thomas"

[teamrock.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 1, 2016 15:02

Spedding played his Flying V for this lot.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 1, 2016 15:04

The womble-wobble..

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 1, 2016 15:46

The Wombles didn't play their own instruments either ?

That's shattered my whole world sad smiley

All the years I've spent trying to emulate Wellington's vibrato technique !

As for the Pistols.
I saw them play in a South Yorkshire pub shortly before they were big news... and there was nothing wrong with Steve Jones's guitar playing .

[He had a big thick rug over the front of his Marsall 4X12 so that it could be wicked up without taking everybody's head off ! ]

Their set at that time included quite a few covers such as Substitute & Stepping Stone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-01 15:57 by Spud.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 1, 2016 20:47

DandelionPowderman
HankM

Keith hadn't perfected his posing at this point grinning smiley

These things take time...
it can be hard to make this not look hard smoking smiley

Mick- ""Good Keith GOOD!!! Feel the pose flow through you..""

The pose is strong with this one

WOMBLE ROCK!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-01 20:50 by HankM.

Date: December 1, 2016 23:03

grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home