Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tumbling Dice Best Version Ever?
Posted by: gostonesforever ()
Date: November 10, 2010 00:27

Looking around tonight and found this version. Im thinkin' it's about the best version I've heard. Comments or even better versions out there???

Enjoy

Dave, New Brunswick, Canada

Re: Tumbling Dice Best Version Ever?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 10, 2010 00:32

1973 Europe is even better.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 10, 2010 00:38

Brussels hands down, there was a thread about that version here not long ago.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 10, 2010 00:45

brussels!

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: November 10, 2010 01:33

As much as these are great versions of Tumbling Dice, none can beat the studio one for me. It's just one of those songs. The atmosphere in the studio is perfect with Keith backing vocals and of course the gospelmsingers. I actually prefer Keiths solo too! And the drums in the closing section! Nothing beats it.
I think it's just one if those songs where the atmosphere in the studio cannot be replicated or surpassed and is my favorite Stones track.

Both of those versions are great though as is the one from Handsome Girls 1978 and surprisingly, The one for Shine A Light!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 10, 2010 01:37

I agree this is just one of those songs that the live version has never equaled the feeling of the studio performance. And of those? The BEST in my opinion is the MONO 45 mix.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 10, 2010 03:26

Australia, 73 - don't have the date, but the one where Mick sings: 'I love ya, love ya, love ya...' during the coda.

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: November 10, 2010 09:40

Perth 24/2/73 I'm thinking. Or maybe its one of the Melbourne ones but I'm pretty sure about Perth.
It was a very good version too!

Date: November 10, 2010 10:10

The studio version.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: November 10, 2010 10:10

Studio is King in my book, when I saw L&G in the theatre, Micks delivery of the vocals on Tumbling Dice was my surprise highlight. So much more unique talent and timing exhibited than any of the other live versions since that tour. Midnight Rambler was my highlight highlight but no surprise there.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: November 10, 2010 14:30

My favorite is from the bootleg LP >grinning smiley<" Who Went To Church This Sunday "

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: November 10, 2010 14:34

Studio version. By far!

Keith back-up harmonies in the "(I'm the rank) OUTSIIIIDER" gave me thrills each time I listen to it! Don't know why... but it's the perfect combination between Mick and Keith.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: November 10, 2010 15:57

The Brussels is superb - but for uniqueness sake, I vote for the "Ain't Security" (London '73 ???)version!!!!

Classic!

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: November 10, 2010 17:51

i really like the LETS SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER version. the part where he sits on the floor with the improvised lyrics is amazing

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 10, 2010 18:01

I agree that Keith's backing vocals are a highlight of the studio version, just like Taylor' bass, so many songs would have been much better live with Keith's wonderful backing vocals...All Down The Line, Rocks Off, Rip This Joint, Brown Sugar...I wonder why he didn't sing backup more often during the 72'/73' tours.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 11, 2010 07:50

the mono single mix

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: November 11, 2010 11:22

The studio version is non-plus-ultra Stones.

Brussel´s version is the peak of their live career.

But listen to the 1981 Seattle version: it ain´t bad either. Keith was the bandleader back then...

Priest

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 11, 2010 12:35

Love You Live
Knebworth

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 11, 2010 15:47

Studio and Brussels live 1973 no other live versions come close to my ears. However if someone likes the one on Love You Live I will not berate them for it

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: November 11, 2010 17:47

The studio version is - in my opinion - perhaps the greatest rock single ever. From Keith's knee-buckling opening riff, immediately followed by the slap of Charlie's drum, Jagger's brilliant vocals accompanied by the gorgeous back-up vocals, then Keith's iconic solo, straight through to the final fadeout it is perfection and, to my ears, a distillation of everything that makes the Stones so unique.

Surprisingly my favorite live version comes from the 1975 tour - I have a live copy of a show, I'm not sure if it is the first Buffalo show or the L.A. tapes...but THAT version is the best one I have ever heard performed live.

Date: November 11, 2010 20:12

This may be totally my ears interpetation but for some reason the 1972 Tour version seems slower and to drag a bit. I noticed by the 73 European tour( and all those after) the tempo seems back to normal. Maybe it was the studio release still being so fresh to my ears.....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 11, 2010 20:35

I've always loved Ronnie's solo the best. I think the Voodoo tour version was the best actually.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 11, 2010 23:06

For me it's the studio version by a big margin. This song is in a league of it's own, can't be topped imo. Play it loud of course...

Date: November 11, 2010 23:26

Turd On The Run
The studio version is - in my opinion - perhaps the greatest rock single ever. From Keith's knee-buckling opening riff, immediately followed by the slap of Charlie's drum, Jagger's brilliant vocals accompanied by the gorgeous back-up vocals, then Keith's iconic solo, straight through to the final fadeout it is perfection and, to my ears, a distillation of everything that makes the Stones so unique.

Ditto, I listed this as the Stones most definitive song in another thread, Its got that unrelenting groove that just keeps going. I love how everything stops at the end of each verse and then its Mick and Keith and the background singers, 'You gotta ro-oh-oh-me, call me the tumbling dice..' while Keith plays that riff, and then it falls back into that deep groove. Its also got the greatest coda in rock and roll, where it all stops again, then startes building up and building up....then Charlie (Jimmy Miller, actually) brings it back to the original groove with a tumble and crash. And the vocals, the lyrics and phrasing, Mick is begging the woman in question to "roll me", to take a chance and just let go....its like a smooth seduction.
Everything that makes the Stones the Stones is in this one song: Keith's loose and sleazy groove and Jagger's swagger - the recorded version is all feel and nothing that can be copied,
This is it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-11 23:33 by stupidguy2.

Date: November 12, 2010 00:45

Love it when you can hear Keith on the stops going "call me the tumblin dice".

There is a rare 72 or 73 version that is live and Keith actually sings harmony on it. I know I own it but I have to find it because it blew my mind.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 12, 2010 00:47

The Studio TD is the finest studio track they did, imo, and the '73 Brussells version is the finest single live recording by the group.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 12, 2010 01:18

I must admit that @#$%& Taylor rules on this one,
especially in the end when the song builds up again
with the handclapping audience. Fantastic!

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 12, 2010 01:25

Studio.
Followed by Brussel,
but let's not forget the two versions from the Montreaux rehearsals!

Date: November 12, 2010 02:50

That's another nice one (Brussels). I love MT's outro and Mick's 'Everybody needs a little help sometimes....and right now..' Fantastic.

Date: November 12, 2010 06:15

Palace Revolution 2000
Love it when you can hear Keith on the stops going "call me the tumblin dice".

There is a rare 72 or 73 version that is live and Keith actually sings harmony on it. I know I own it but I have to find it because it blew my mind.

Probably the Philly take from the unreleased live album(the tracks were mixed and Keiths vocal overdubbed). One place it shows up is Rattlesnakes 72 STP set
Thats about the only one I can think of from 72/73 with Keiths harmonizing.??

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home