Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Maybe Allen Klein wasn't so bad afterall...
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: November 8, 2010 22:06

I know, I know. Allen Klein was not good to his leading client, the Rolling Stones. Basically he used his position as a license to steal.

Nevertheless, this story that shows there was some good in Klein. When the producers of "The Big Lebowski" (the movie) wanted to secure the rights to play Townes Van Zandt's cover of "Dead Flowers" over the closing credits, they had to get Klein's permission. He said it would cost $150,000 for them to use the song. Music director T-Bone Burnett convinced Klein to watch an early cut of the film. Said Burnett, "It got to the part where the Dude says, 'I hate the @#$%&' Eagles, man!' Klein stands up and says, 'That's it, you can have the song!'"

Anybody who hates the Eagles isn't all bad.

[www.rollogrady.com]

Re: Maybe Allen Klein wasn't so bad afterall...
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 9, 2010 00:24

I asked a guy in my college dorm if he liked the Eagles and he said, "I did until I saw them live and all they did was just stand there." That's how I feel just listening to them: they're bland, bland, bland, bland. Dull, dull, dull. They're awful.

Funnily enough I read a couple Eagles interviewed together, and they talked about being overly perfectionist during the recording of an album, and one said, "We shouldn't have been so precious about every little thing. The Rolling Stones are an example how that's not necessary."

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 9, 2010 00:53

Title5Take1

Funnily enough I read a couple Eagles interviewed together, and they talked about being overly perfectionist during the recording of an album, and one said, "We shouldn't have been so precious about every little thing. The Rolling Stones are an example how that's not necessary."

They may be dull but they're smart. May the truth hit Steely Dan one day.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: November 9, 2010 01:19

Pietro
I know, I know. Allen Klein was not good to his leading client, the Rolling Stones. Basically he used his position as a license to steal.

Nevertheless, this story that shows there was some good in Klein. When the producers of "The Big Lebowski" (the movie) wanted to secure the rights to play Townes Van Zandt's cover of "Dead Flowers" over the closing credits, they had to get Klein's permission. He said it would cost $150,000 for them to use the song. Music director T-Bone Burnett convinced Klein to watch an early cut of the film. Said Burnett, "It got to the part where the Dude says, 'I hate the @#$%&' Eagles, man!' Klein stands up and says, 'That's it, you can have the song!'"

Anybody who hates the Eagles isn't all bad.

I love the Eagles! I love the Stones too, and many more bands/artists....

[www.rollogrady.com]

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Date: November 9, 2010 01:36

i like the eagles and steely dan smiling smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 9, 2010 06:46

I never had any use for either of them.

Maybe Mojo Nixon can follow up Don Henley Must Die by writing a song about dancing on Allen Klein's grave!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-09 07:00 by ab.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:40

Nah, that doesn't cut it, as true as it is, that The Eagles SUCK. Nothing will ever make Allen Klein look 'not so bad afterall' in my eyes.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 9, 2010 19:15

Keith said he learned a lot of from Klein, and chalked up the ripoffs as the 'price of an education'. Klein got both the Beatles and Stones into better situations. Epstein doesn't appear to have known shit about business. And didn't Klein get the Stones a higher royalty rate than the Fab Four? He kicked Bobby Darrin's career a little higher in the beginning. That he had his own interests that benifited him are obvious. But it seems the pattern was that he always got a better deal for his clients and they eventually tired of him. We can't even imagine the kind of gangster monsters that dominated the recording industry. (See Morris Levy). You needed a sonofabitch to battle the sonofabitches. Doesn't make everything Klein did right, but it is understandable. And he got his. But so did the people he worked for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home