Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: most underrated album?
Posted by: still ill ()
Date: November 8, 2010 19:14

I would say Satanic Majesties but it is actually very rated by both lovers of psychedelic music and by people who don't usually like the Stones, i guess because it doesn't sound like them.

So on that basis i'll say Bridges to Babylon

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 8, 2010 19:44

Although it sometimes gets mentioned on someone's favs/best lists, I think "NOW" is the best of the formative releases and does not get its due. It is almost a blues/RnB greatest hits album, strong top to to bottom. I think the Beatles' equivalent is "A Hard Day's Night." Both are near perfect albums.

Since mentioning both bands, I will say again I think the Stones' equivalent to Sgt. Pepper is not TSMR, but Exile. The enduring mystery and appeal of those albums comes not only from the songs themselves, but from the extraordinary vision in the studio production of those songs.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: November 8, 2010 20:08

My first reaction was "Satanic Majesties" since for years it was basically reviled -- glad to see it getting some love! I am going to posit "Beggars' Banquet" for a similar reason that someone suggested "Sticky Fingers" -- that in light of the accolades for "Exile on Main Street" (which is indeed my fave) it along with "Sticky Fingers" and "Let it Bleed" gets ever so slightly lost in the shuffle. And BB to me is the album I might consider instead of Exile at the top spot -- the beginning of their resurgence/peak and an LP without a bum cut. It also seems to have a superior mix and fidelity to the subsequent albums and an overall continuity and feel rivaled only by Exile in my opinion. No Mick Taylor granted but Keith at the height of his powers and Brian still contributing some interesting bits. Not to mention Jagger at his most frightening and that rhythm section....

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 8, 2010 21:56

Steel Wheels

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 8, 2010 22:43

Bridges To Babylon surely is underrated.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 8, 2010 23:02

erikd
Goats Head Soup.

+1

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 8, 2010 23:16

goats head soup

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 9, 2010 01:58

Goats Head Soup, Its Only RR, Black and Blue, Emotional Rescue and Undercover - in that order. GHS beats the hell out of anything post-Undercover.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 9, 2010 02:01

Dirty Work.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 9, 2010 02:15

24FPS
Steel Wheels

it's about underrated albums bro' ! ;-)

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: November 9, 2010 03:13

Goat's Head Soup
It's Only Rock and Roll
Black and Blue

all great records.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 9, 2010 03:22

Satanic Majesties
It's Only Rock and Roll (thanks Nomis for the TIP)

Someone mentioned AfterMath hope this one is not underrated, till 67 this one was seen as their best record ever

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-09 04:00 by NICOS.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 9, 2010 03:56

pmk251
Although it sometimes gets mentioned on someone's favs/best lists, I think "NOW" is the best of the formative releases and does not get its due. It is almost a blues/RnB greatest hits album, strong top to to bottom. I think the Beatles' equivalent is "A Hard Day's Night." Both are near perfect albums.

I think Now would be perfect if it didn't have Off The Hook

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: November 9, 2010 04:01

Goat's Head Soup...I agree that it beats the hell out of anything post Undercover.

Undercover

Emotional Rescue, been spinning alot of Send It To Me the past few days.

Bridges to Babylon.

Haven't listened to TSMR in years...

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 9, 2010 04:07

Goats Head Soup, clearly. Love "Winter".

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 9, 2010 04:16

Boy I am surprised by the love towards Satanic...it just sounds so dated. Yeah there are a few good songs, but on a whole it is quite dreadful...

It's Only Rock n' Roll! For sure, a fantastic album full of diverse and interesting stuff.

It is hard to say ER is underrated, it really did well commercially, it is a fun disc...

Bridges to Babylon did quite well commercially as well, but I agree it is underrated on this board. It has some wonderful stuff on it, full of tension and quite diverse. Love it!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 9, 2010 04:30

Undercover followed by Black And Blue and Goats Head Soup.

Their Satanic Majesties Request is their most OVER rated album. It would have made a hell of an EP had they left off half the tracks on it.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: November 9, 2010 04:31

Other than the Beggars to Exile & Some Girls & Tatoo You, IMHO all the other are underrated. Its almost as if the other LPs don't exist.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 9, 2010 04:32

TSMR is their second biggest stinker though. Dirty Work is their worst.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2010 04:45

undercover

I also think the single 'undercover of the night' is excellent and unlike anything else.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: November 9, 2010 05:01

matsumoto33
Apologies if there's already a thread on this. Had a look using the 'search' function but couldn't find one....

What do all you iorr members think is the Stones most underrated album?

For me, it's got to be 'Black and Blue'. I've never understood why this album gets such short-shrift, even among Stones fans. Is it because the guest musicians / auditioning guitarists don't give it the feeling of being a 'true' Stones album? Or is it the measly 8 tracks?
I think it's the Stones most eclectic album (rock / reggae / funk) and their last really interesting one. Would have been a great final album too. After this came a couple of years of bandwagon-jumping (punk and disco on the overrated Some Girls, a clumsy attempt to repeat the formula on Emotional Rescue) followed by the 30-year travelling circus of a greatest hits show....

Anyway, just my opinion. What do you all think......?

I agree with you that Black and Blue is the most underrated album and I disagree with you when you say Some Girls was overrated.

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: November 9, 2010 05:12

Goats head soup (most underrated by a mile)

Satanic Majesties

It's only rocknroll

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 9, 2010 06:40

I'd go with the UK version of Aftermath, largely because fans in the States got a bastardized version of it for so many years. Once the UK version was released worldwide in 2002, "A ha! Technicolor!"

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 9, 2010 08:12

boys and girls - bryan ferry
captain and me- doobie brothers
long road out of eden- eagles
the rising- springsteen
making movies-dire straits

there's a few.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: November 9, 2010 10:31

The first five non hits UK LP's are all great as is basically everythimg they did from Come On to We Love You. Satanic is a bit under rated but not as good as what came before or after through the seventies. I like all the 1973-78 stuff as well though only Some Girls seems to pass the muster with most people. Tatoo You is pretty good but many others say that as well. Of the recent ones VL and ABB are both better then some make them out to be. That's not to say they are great. Solo wise Ron's first, and Mick's third aren't as well regarded as they should be. Keith's are better then they shoule be but I don't think they are as interesting as what he cut pre Undercover.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 9, 2010 12:09

TSMR is a masterpiec of psychedelic music, along with the piper at the gates of dawn

Is not typical RS's music, but it is a gem of psychedelic music (it is very likely that many people do not like this type of music played by RS)

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 9, 2010 14:22

BtB is overrated IMHO

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 9, 2010 15:15

Metamorphosis also...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 9, 2010 15:37

Come On
Metamorphosis also...

Rightly so, though.

As a "compilation album" of unreleased material it's a stinker, imo. Although a few of the songs on side 2 are fantastic.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: July 31, 2012 14:38

matsumoto33
Apologies if there's already a thread on this. Had a look using the 'search' function but couldn't find one....

What do all you iorr members think is the Stones most underrated album?

For me, it's got to be 'Black and Blue'. I've never understood why this album gets such short-shrift, even among Stones fans. Is it because the guest musicians / auditioning guitarists don't give it the feeling of being a 'true' Stones album? Or is it the measly 8 tracks?
I think it's the Stones most eclectic album (rock / reggae / funk) and their last really interesting one. Would have been a great final album too. After this came a couple of years of bandwagon-jumping (punk and disco on the overrated Some Girls, a clumsy attempt to repeat the formula on Emotional Rescue) followed by the 30-year travelling circus of a greatest hits show....

Anyway, just my opinion. What do you all think......?

I love Black and Blue

Nicky Hopkins on piano and string synthesizer; early version with different lyrics and no backing vocals, probably recorded on December the 12th, 1974

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-31 14:41 by dead.flowers.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2297
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home