Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Hang Fire
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 9, 2010 02:51

NICOS
I think the last 4 track talk were all negative for me so I skip this one...........Bill is good though

Bill isn't on it, according to the personnel listing above.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 9, 2010 02:54

A Good fun rocking song. Me likethumbs up

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 9, 2010 03:07

This track happens to be sandwiched right in between two of the Stones' most mind-blowing riff-fests ever, so it suffers (or benefits, depending upon how you look at it) as a result. While it doesn't even approach the stratospheric heights of either SMU or Slave, it is a nice, greasy little rocker that keeps the momentum going. And like the rest of Tattoo You, the production quality is impeccable.

Drew

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 9, 2010 03:11

71Tele
NICOS
I think the last 4 track talk were all negative for me so I skip this one...........Bill is good though

Bill isn't on it, according to the personnel listing above.

Then I checked the wrong InterNet source........... Woody is good though on Bass

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 9, 2010 03:25

What strikes me is that Sir Michael (Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire) often criticizes England in his lyrics. Noticed that on the song "Let's work" also. Great Britain was a bit left behind economically during the 70/80-ties. Is it that that he is refering to? Is it true that he votes for the Tories? Are there any Brits outthere who can help me with this? Hang Fire is OK, nothing more. I like the videos from that album (Tattoo You) though, especially "Start me up" and "Waiting on a friend".

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 9, 2010 04:27

I LOVE this track. It's an ass kicker. It's one of the best tracks on the LP. It's the kind of boot stomper the Stones need to do more of.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 9, 2010 05:07

Cc--its the do do do do do do do do. do do thing. A b side at best. Not really fond of the guitar work either.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 9, 2010 05:10

cc
Title5Take1
HANG FIRE plays at the 1:25 mark in this movie preview

the otherwise fine track is somewhat tarnished by this overexposure, imo.

Well, the movie tanked, so you can relax.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 9, 2010 06:32

The first Stones song I remember hearing. Always a favourite of mine.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 9, 2010 07:40

Toker--ah, I know what you mean.

Take5--I'm perfectly relaxed, thank you.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 9, 2010 15:02

StonesTod
Mathijs
Fantastic song, even better live in '81. Hated the '82 version with the horns though.

Mathijs

82 horns version is better than what would transpire with a chorus background in the current act

Aha, but then again anything and everything from before '83 is better than the current act.

Mathijs

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: March 3, 2015 00:06

Like Jaggers voice on this one...

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: March 3, 2015 05:13

What a great bridge, as TTY's second song, between the SMU and Slave. It was also a Top 20 single. Short and too the point rocker, Charlie in particular really tears it up, that doesn't overstay its welcome. A cousin of Summer Romance and the uncle of Fight. A great summer beer drinking diddy.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 3, 2015 09:25

Not a 'riff rocker'...to me it's a 'heavy rocakbilly' song, light on the underneath (riff) but fantastic on the over-the-top dualling guitars.....love it. Love Mick's cynical, dripping lyrics and vocals too.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 3, 2015 15:35

Another track talk seemingly having skipped through my hands back then...

"A heavy rock-a-billy song".. yeah, why not! There was that kind of musical thing going on in their music, and to an extent Keith and Ronnie's dualist playing - ancient art of weaving - and the 'pure' guitar sounds they were using in late 70's/early 80's has one constituent in some sort of rock-a-billy thing. And Charlie's busy playing many times contributed to it as well. They didn't play "Twenty Flight Rock" during 1981/82 for nothing.

Melodically this little, but fun rocker reminds me of Bruce's "Born to Run" though, but Jagger's clever tongue-in-cheek lyrics and all over stunning and original performance easily takes the attention elsewhere. (Sometimes I miss that edgy Jagger that somehow was lost during the 80's)

Anyway, rejected from EMOTIONAL RESCUE, but having found its natural and perfect place in TATTOO YOU, "Hang Fire" is probably not one of their most memorable songs, but I have always liked this tune. It rolls nicely and it is one of those 'hey, just let's have fun' songs that always brings a smile into my face every time when I hear it.

Besides, for a Stones song, it has an interesting and unique-sounding ending. The Stones always seem to have problems how to stop their songs (who can blame if one has such a groove going on...) but now they manage to do it big time!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: March 3, 2015 15:49

The backing track on this one was recorded way before 1979? Didn't this song follow them for three album sessions: BAB, SG and ER, before winding up on TY?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 3, 2015 16:02

DandelionPowderman
The backing track on this one was recorded way before 1979? Didn't this song follow them for three album sessions: BAB, SG and ER, before winding up on TY?

Aah, no idea (or recollection).. timeisonourside.com gives: October-December 1977, June-October 1979 & April-July 1981.

By the way, a nice quote from Jagger from the same site:

It's usually me who writes those (boogie/rock & roll) tunes. I just think they're fun to do once, but they're pretty much not much fun for people to listen to all the time I suppose because many bands do that sort of thing. I don't know. Whatever comes up comes up. They sound nice. I mean they're really easy to finish and you say Oh, that's nice. Those tunes tend to be the first ones done. - Mick Jagger, 1981

- Doxa

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 3, 2015 16:58

Great performance on an otherwise forgettable tune.

The stones have the ability to squeeze a surprising amount of quality out of material that is otherwise not worthy of their canon.

You can hardly call this a 'great' song, but on the other hand it's great to listen to...much better to have it, than not.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 3, 2015 18:46

A solid rocker. The live version from 81 is still better than the studio track. Particularly, yes, I say the word, the interweaving in Hampton by Keith and Ronnie is a killer.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 3, 2015 18:48

... and I agree with some mates here: The brass section in 82 ruins the guitar work ...

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: March 4, 2015 00:16

I hate this song! Rubbish.

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: March 4, 2015 00:44

There are several early versions of the song floating around on bootleg. One of these more-bluesy early takes includes the line "My old lady is a lazy bitch" and refers to her "hanging around the swimming pool". In some kind of way these politically incorrect lyrics sound much more like the real Stones than Jagger's rewrite to make a comment about the UK's political and social problems in the late 70's. Perhaps one day they might even release the 'Lazy Bitch' version as part of a bonus disc with the 'Tattoo You' album.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-04 00:54 by MrTurner.

Date: March 4, 2015 01:31

MrTurner
There are several early versions of the song floating around on bootleg. One of these more-bluesy early takes includes the line "My old lady is a lazy bitch" and refers to her "hanging around the swimming pool". In some kind of way these politically incorrect lyrics sound much more like the real Stones than Jagger's rewrite to make a comment about the UK's political and social problems in the late 70's. Perhaps one day they might even release the 'Lazy Bitch' version as part of a bonus disc with the 'Tattoo You' album.

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah, I like those early versions. They had most of the backing tracks down already back then.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 4, 2015 02:01

treaclefingers

The stones have the ability to squeeze a surprising amount of quality out of material that is otherwise not worthy of their canon.

You can hardly call this a 'great' song, but on the other hand it's great to listen to...much better to have it, than not.

Well said treacle. Hard to believe this is a political song with the way it is played. This song typified the clown-like party band phase of the Stones for me, not my favorite era. Ronnie and Keith's hard drinking period I'm guessing. It feels good but it's just not up to the par of what the Stone's are capable of....just a fun tune to pass the time, not a lasting statement like so much of their earlier work. peace

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 4, 2015 02:04

treaclefingers

thumbs up

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: March 4, 2015 06:33

Always loved this tune. Just so full of energy. MEZ

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: March 4, 2015 08:28

It's not much of a song really but oddly I dig it. It fits in well on TY (which to my ears is a masterpiece) and does well to follow the monster opener of the album. Not a job many songs would gladly volunteer for I'm thinking.

Good fun rock n roll on the 81/82 tour as was She's So Cold, Let Me Go, 20 Flight Rock and so on.

What does "hang fire" actually mean? Is it a term for just lazing about? Never knew the term here in Australia till then and aside from the song title still never do.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 4, 2015 13:39

This song followed SMU, an i got hooked...........the best RS ever........but the following songs got me hyper-hooked.
This is the very real album that got me in RS music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sticky Fingers and Tatoo You are my main recomendations for those who whant to begin to hear Rolling Stones Music
A very nice and wonderful rock tune, simple, direct, guitar waving, nice solo...........EVERYTHING

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 4, 2015 19:09

hangfire is quite a catchy song.

but i dont see the similarity with all down the line and silver train, in my opinion i think silver train is much better, all down the line is quite overrated, its not really that good.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 4, 2015 22:22

buttons67
hangfire is quite a catchy song.

but i dont see the similarity with all down the line and silver train, in my opinion i think silver train is much better, all down the line is quite overrated, its not really that good.

how does it feel, in one errant tossed off line, having your entire IORR credibility washed away?

I sense a deep feeling of loss.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home