Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
hopes for the next album
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 6, 2010 18:42

We can't expect a masterpiece or another 'Exile'. Mick's voice is no longer what it used to, Keith riffs too. The last great album is 'Tatoo You' which has previously composed songs. The only hope is that they use some good songs from their archives (Some Girls sessions are one example).
Otherwise, i think we should be content with the result of ABB with other horrible Streets of Lovesad smiley

Re: hopes for the next album
Posted by: marko ()
Date: November 6, 2010 18:53

Otherwise, i think we should be content with the result of ABB with other horrible Streets of Love

hopefully not this one::thumbs down

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: November 6, 2010 18:57

Frankly, I don't even expect another album.smoking smiley A tour - yes!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 6, 2010 19:07

I could be happy with a new not-over-produced album with a bigger KR's involvement on musical leadership

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 6, 2010 19:21

Another Chuck Berry song would be terrific. Dear Dad? Maybe Eddie Cochran's My Way?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-06 19:33 by Carnaby.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 6, 2010 19:40

I do not expect a new album, but using 35 yearold recordings for a "new" album would be sad. The Stones should be capable of recording a decent blus rock album, if they are not they ought to retire and enjoy themselves!

Date: November 6, 2010 20:07

windmelody
I do not expect a new album, but using 35 yearold recordings for a "new" album would be sad. The Stones should be capable of recording a decent blus rock album, if they are not they ought to retire and enjoy themselves!

Oh, you know, they have always gone back a re-done a good R & B song now and then. The results are usually fantastic. I mean, they can re-do it the way the Stones master cover songs, slow it down, chunk it up, whatever, not a carbon copy, that's not what I meant.

Posted by: 2001 man ()
Date: November 6, 2010 20:26

To close the circle, just covers + a new rendition of Tell Me:

Killer Diller Blues (Memphis Minnie)
Cravin a Man Blues (Lillian Glinn)
Going to Dallas (Lightnin Hopkins)
You ain’t no big thing (John Lee Hooker)
Boogie in the Dark (Jimmy Reed)
Cotton Crop Blues (Jimmy Cotton Blues Quartet)
Moanin’ at Midnight (Howlin’ Wolf)
Wee Wee Hours (Chick Berry)
Heavy Heart Blues (Champion Jack Dupree)
Alone and Forsaken (Hank Williams)
Denomination Blues Part 1 (Washington Phillips)
Don’t start crying now (Slim Harpo)

Date: November 6, 2010 20:32

To ask the Stones to "do" another "Exile" is somewhat moronic. I love "Exile" and I alos enjoy "Bridges to Babylon" and "Bigger Bang" and just about everything in between. Maybe it is my age. As a 50+ year old, the few times I am exposed to "new" music is when the Stones roll out something (or Ray Davies, or Robert Plant, or Ian Hunter, etc) I have not listened to the radio for music in a long, long time. How wonderful, if the Stones can give us another gift of new tunes.... Go for it, guys!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 6, 2010 21:05

KRiffhard
We can't expect a masterpiece or another 'Exile'. Mick's voice is no longer what it used to, Keith riffs too. The last great album is 'Tatoo You' which has previously composed songs. The only hope is that they use some good songs from their archives (Some Girls sessions are one example).
Otherwise, i think we should be content with the result of ABB with other horrible Streets of Lovesad smiley

Yeah, that'd be a great idea. Dig out 35 year old songs and work on them. That'll convince everyone that theyre not all washed up, wont it?

The songs on Tattoo You that were old were for the most part 2-3 years old. The oldest was about 8 years old. Hardly a like for like comparison

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: November 6, 2010 21:07

New album and new tour, NOW"

Date: November 6, 2010 21:35

The Stones are usually pretty aware of being cutting edge. As far as time and 35 years and all that, if a song is theirs and they feel like doing it today and mixing it today, I guess that's OK. The old blues guys of 50 years ago, you can't change that. But it is timeless music. When I mentioned Chuck or Eddie, I just thought it has been awhile since they did one, didn't mean to start a civil war.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 6, 2010 21:49

a good album with a with their first smash single since 81, get the boys back on the radio again with some new stuff instead of well you know the list, stones songs on the radio post 81 almost dont exist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-06 23:31 by melillo.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 6, 2010 22:51

Steel Wheels was pretty damn good.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 6, 2010 23:29

If they decide to tour my only wish is that it won't be a repetition of the 2002/03/06/07-tours. I wish they could spend some time on the arrangements of the songs, especially the warhorses. What's the point of making a new album these days? They don't really function as a band anymore; Micks voice is hoarse, Keith has arthritis and suffers from a braininjury, Ron has serious alcoholproblems.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 6, 2010 23:32

with those problems how can they do any tour?

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: November 6, 2010 23:32

24FPS

Really? I think it's one of their worst right behind Dirty Work

Date: November 6, 2010 23:46

You're right, melillo. Perhaps we are hoping for too much?

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: November 6, 2010 23:50

KRiffhard

What an utter<><><><><>!!!! Mick's voice is great on a Bigger Bang, in fact that album proofs Mick can sing!!! And it's a fanastic album where they experiment with the newer British pop sound (Biggest Mistake for example). I would love to hear a brand new album. Yes Keef is a problem but not Mick and not Ronnie or Darryll. A last brand new album and tour without Keef would be the best obtion.

Date: November 7, 2010 00:04

Not to forget: they don't have a real bassplayer anymore. They have a stand in for Bill who plays funk. Bob Dylan caracterized them as a funkband these days.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 7, 2010 00:11

Keep it nice and simple. Take a leaf out of Dylan's book and make a rule of no more than 3 takes. No click track stadium drums please. More harmonica. Some country, reggae and blues please. And 12 tracks max - perhaps just 10. Less is more. You only need to listen to the new Neil Young to see how well that idea works.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 7, 2010 09:56

a low down and dirty blues album.
i agree, only 11 songs. but songs that are good, not like abb.
the songs wont be new, just from the shelf.
THAT does not matter, just as long as they are good.

and than give us a stripped down tour!! ust the 5 guys, and please please
NO MOREMSTERDAM ARENA

One love jeroen

Date: November 7, 2010 10:22

New Neil Young's work is just the same song with the same arrangements played along with some pauses with a heavy disrtorted les paul with a lot of reverb and delay........................
You need a lot of listenings to get into this work.............if you can stand those "lot of listenings"..........

I love Lanois, but this work is a very heavy snobism exercise for them and for the most sobism fans and reporters

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 7, 2010 12:01

KeithNacho
New Neil Young's work is just the same song with the same arrangements played along with some pauses with a heavy disrtorted les paul with a lot of reverb and delay........................
You need a lot of listenings to get into this work.............if you can stand those "lot of listenings"..........

I love Lanois, but this work is a very heavy snobism exercise for them and for the most sobism fans and reporters

I agree with you about Lanois. Musicians love to work with him, but his albums almost always sound like "Lanois albums" to me, rather than albums of the artists he is producing. I think Jagger would be the one in the way of them doing anything sparse or primitive. Even Stripped could have been much more adventurous, though there was some nice stuff on there.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 7, 2010 12:36

Don't let Lanois anywhere near the Stones ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 7, 2010 12:49

I like his work with Dylan and U2

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 7, 2010 13:46

What an utter<><><><><>!!!! Mick's voice is great on a Bigger Bang, in fact that album proofs Mick can sing!!! And it's a fanastic album where they experiment with the newer British pop sound (Biggest Mistake for example). I would love to hear a brand new album. Yes Keef is a problem but not Mick and not Ronnie or Darryll. A last brand new album and tour without Keef would be the best obtion.

Mick's voice is no longer the same for many years. It 's too clean and 'thin'. Maybe it's age, or maybe it's due to the vocal coach! His way of singing 'Following the river' is truly heartbreaking and it's hard to hear. Can we forget the masterpiece (!) called 'Goddess' or all those useless songs included in ABB (surplus of 'Goddess') as S.O.L.? I don't think ABB it's a fantastic album I find it rather dull and uninspired.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: November 7, 2010 14:17

Gazza
KRiffhard

Yeah, that'd be a great idea. Dig out 35 year old songs and work on them. That'll convince everyone that theyre not all washed up, wont it?

The songs on Tattoo You that were old were for the most part 2-3 years old. The oldest was about 8 years old. Hardly a like for like comparison

As if A Bigger Bang didn't already tell us about their creative ability or rather lack of it.
KRiffhard is right. We can't expect a masterpiece or anything close if they release brand new material. A new Rolling Stones single of similar "quality" to Streets of Love - well,let's not even go there!

If digging up old material produced good results, I don't think it would matter how far back they went.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 7, 2010 15:43

coffeepotman
24FPS

Really? I think it's one of their worst right behind Dirty Work

When held up to comparison Steel Wheels is Exile/Beggars/Fingers/Bleed as Dirty Work is Their Satanic Majesties Request.

And when you take the comment that Steel Wheels was pretty damn good out of context, well, maybe, but when you have an album come out that actually has some songs on it compared to the previous (and mostly songless) album, there you go.

Date: November 7, 2010 16:43

There is something funny about STEEL WHEELS being held up as Exhibit "A" that the Stones still "Got it" Steel Wheels is more than 20 years old. Nevertheless, I do think the Stones still 'got it.'

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1523
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home