Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Robin Gibb critically ill
Posted by: Han ()
Date: April 14, 2012 17:03

From the Times

Bee Gees star Robin Gibb is believed to be fighting for his life after contracting pneumonia in his battle against cancer.

The family of the singer, 62, have been keeping vigil at his bedside at a hospital in Chelsea, west London.

They are understood to include his wife Dwina, brother Barry, 65, daughter Melissa, 37, and sons Spencer, 39, and Robin-John, 29.

Gibb had surgery on his bowel 18 months ago for an unrelated condition, but a tumour was discovered and he was diagnosed with cancer of the colon and, subsequently, of the liver.

It had been thought his cancer was in remission as early as last month, but the latest deterioration in his health coincides with reports of a secondary tumour.

Sources close to Gibb confirmed he is very ill in hospital but his agent declined to comment on reports that the star may have only days left to live.

Gibb’s twin brother and bandmate, Maurice, died from the same bowel condition which initially led doctors to operate on Robin.

Gibb’s younger brother, Andy, who was not part of the Bee Gees but a successful singer in his own right, died in 1988 from heart failure at the age of 30.

Robin Gibb has enjoyed a musical career spanning six decades, from humble beginnings as part of a sibling trio in 1950s Manchester to his most recent classical venture, a requiem for The Titanic.

In the interim, he sang some of the 1960s and 1970s greatest hits, including Massachusetts, I’ve Gotta Get A Message To You, Lonely Days, How Can You Mend A Broken Heart, How Deep Is Your Love and Stayin’ Alive.

Gibb last performed on stage in February, supporting injured servicemen and women at the Coming Home charity concert held at the London Palladium.

He had been due to premier his classical work, The Titanic Requiem, this month with son Robin-John, but the event went ahead without him due to his poor health.

Gibb’s band the Bee Gees will be best remembered for their contribution to the soundtrack of 1977 film Saturday Night Fever, which turned disco music into a worldwide phenomenon and placed the distinctive look of the era’s hairstyles and outfits into pop culture legend.

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Re: OT: Robin Gibb critically ill
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 14, 2012 17:33

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 14, 2012 17:40

very sad...his poor body hasn't had a chance to recover from the last time.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: April 14, 2012 19:21

This is very sad, he has so much talent.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 14, 2012 20:05

God give him strength. Please pull through Robin.

Posted by: Foggy86 ()
Date: April 14, 2012 20:07

Prayers are with you and your family Robin.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 14, 2012 20:31

Hope he recovers, they left the world a great musical legacy...looking forward to him singing Stayin Alive one more time! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 14, 2012 21:12

At least the story mentions the first half of the band's career. A story I read in the states only mentioned the disco years. So sad. One of pop music's most interesting voices.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 14, 2012 22:00

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: April 15, 2012 02:12

Hold on, Robin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-15 02:15 by mitchflorida1.

Date: April 15, 2012 02:17

i always liked this tune:

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: April 15, 2012 02:25

I always liked Robin Gibb because he looked like a normal person, not a rock star.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 15, 2012 02:37

mitchflorida1
I always liked Robin Gibb because he looked like a normal person, not a rock star.

...also, having briefly met the BeeGees, I can say see seemed to be the most fan friendly and down to earth of the 3 brothers.

Date: April 15, 2012 02:42

The song is mainly written and sung by Robin Gibb. "I Started A Joke" is supposedly about someone who has done or said something horribly wrong, which results in feelings of social alienation. Another interpretation is that the song is sung from the point of view of the devil. Prior to performing the song onstage, Barry Gibb remarks that one interpretation of the song is regarding the devil.

I always thought it was a commentary on religion, sung from the point of view of Jesus.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-15 02:53 by tatters.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: April 15, 2012 03:07

mitchflorida1

Hold on, Robin.
like that song

Date: April 15, 2012 03:36

Date: April 16, 2012 07:41

tatters
The song is mainly written and sung by Robin Gibb. "I Started A Joke" is supposedly about someone who has done or said something horribly wrong, which results in feelings of social alienation. Another interpretation is that the song is sung from the point of view of the devil. Prior to performing the song onstage, Barry Gibb remarks that one interpretation of the song is regarding the devil.

I always thought it was a commentary on religion, sung from the point of view of Jesus.

If that was indeed the intention, it would me a whole new level of respect for them as songwriters.

Date: April 16, 2012 15:01

treaclefingers
tatters

If that was indeed the intention, it would me a whole new level of respect for them as songwriters.

I saw them do it on a VH1 Storytellers show or something like that, and I thought I remembered Robin introducing it by saying "I'm not really sure what this song is about. I think it may have something to do with religion."

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 16, 2012 15:03

Sad news - I wasn't much a fun of the disco stuff, but To Love Somebody and Marley Purt Drive are amazing songs.

Date: April 16, 2012 15:06

This is one of the best songs ever written.

Date: April 16, 2012 15:11

Here, Robin keeps his composure, even with an interviewer who is unaware that Maurice has been dead for several years.

Date: April 16, 2012 16:00

tatters
Here, Robin keeps his composure, even with an interviewer who is unaware that Maurice has been dead for several years.

The reporters 'attempt' at recovery, "I alway get my Bee Gees mixed up" (I'm paraphrasing) was very weak. Still, Robin was classy.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: April 16, 2012 19:58

Bad News: Robin Gibb is a great Songwriter and fantastic-Singer. "Lamplight" is just on my turntable. I hope, he will kill the cancer!!

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: April 16, 2012 20:31

When it's reported, that ain't a good sign. Hope he recovers to enjoy a few more years,
music or not. "Nights on Broadway" and "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" ... GREAT pop.

Date: April 20, 2012 13:46

Robin Gibb 'shows flickers of life after brother sings to him'

Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb has shown “flickers of life” after his brother Barry sang to him to help wake him from his coma, it has been claimed.
It had been thought that Robin Gibbs' cancer was in remission as early as last month, but the latest deterioration in his health coincides with reports of a secondary tumour.
His family continue to keep vigil at his bedside, as his wife Dwina said music appeared to be helping.
She said his brother had been singing to him, while his children played music to “try and bring him back to us”.
The Sun newspaper has reported a “source close to the 62-year-old music legend” as saying there have been hopeful signs of recovery but that he was “not out of the woods yet.”
The source said: “There were flickers of life from Robin. His eyes moved and there was an attempt at speech.”
The singer has been in hospital in Chelsea, west London, since he lost consciousness last week, after contracting pneumonia in his fight against cancer.

Date: April 21, 2012 20:20

Posted by: Han ()
Date: April 21, 2012 23:43

Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb has woken from a coma after more than a week and begun to show signs of recovery.

Spokesman Doug Wright said he was able to nod and communicate with his family who have held a constant vigil at his beside in a central London hospital.

The 62-year-old fell into a coma after contracting pneumonia in his battle against colon and liver cancer.

Gibb's wife Dwina has revealed he cried when she played him Roy Orbison's 1962 song Crying.

Fellow Bee Gees star Barry Gibb had also been singing to his brother to try to rouse him.

Dwina Gibb told her local paper The Impartial Reporter, based in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland their children Robin John, Spencer and Melissa have been playing him music to "try and bring him back to us".

Facebook tributes

She said thousands of people have been saying prayers for him every day, and thanked his fans for their support.

In February Gibb said he had made a "spectacular" recovery from cancer but was later back in hospital for surgery.

Gibb was too ill to attend last week's premiere of his latest work The Titanic Requiem, a classical piece composed with his son to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the ship's sinking.

Dwina Gibb has thanked her husband Robin's fans for their good wishes
He was due to sing Don't Cry Alone in person at Central Hall Westminster in London.

The singer's website is down because of traffic volumes, with fans directed to his Facebook page, where messages of support can be left.

The British-born singer had surgery on his bowel 18 months ago for an unrelated condition, but a tumour was discovered and he was diagnosed with cancer of the colon and later of the liver.

It had been thought his cancer was in remission as early as last month.

Robin Gibb's musical career began when he formed the Bee Gees with his brothers Barry and Maurice in 1958.

The group is among the biggest-selling groups of all time with hits spanning six decades including Stayin' Alive, How Deep Is Your Love, Massachusetts, and Words.

Their soundtrack to the film Saturday Night Fever was one of the best-selling albums of the 1970s and the band have won seven Grammy Awards.

Robin's twin brother Maurice Gibb died in 2003 aged 53 due to complications from a twisted intestine.

His younger brother Andy, who had a successful solo career, died of a heart ailment in 1988, aged 30.

Gibb last performed on stage at the London Palladium in February, supporting injured servicemen and women in a charity concert.

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 21, 2012 23:45

Christ, when will all the bad news end?! Prayers for that dude. peace

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 21, 2012 23:49

Hand - great news - thanks for posting!

-swiss

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: April 22, 2012 07:51

The BeeGees wrote some of the finest slows before the fever began..
Strenght to all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-22 07:56 by steffiestones.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home