Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill says "they want me back........"
Date: April 15, 2012 19:53

As quoted in Winner's dinners, the column in The Sunday Times (UK), which reviews restaurants. Michael Winner was having lunch at PJ's in Fulham Rd, London, and Bill Wyman was one of his guests. After reviewing the meal he ends the article as follows -
PS : Bill was speaking of the forthcoming 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones. He stopped playing with them years ago. They want him back for the anniversary tour. Bill, wisely, said he didn't want to tour.
(Winner then goes on to speculate about a one off gig sold to HBO)

Oh, what to make of yet another reference to an 'anniversary tour,!!

Re: Bill says "they want me back........"
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 15, 2012 20:05

Manofwealthandtaste
As quoted in Winner's dinners, the column in The Sunday Times (UK), which reviews restaurants. Michael Winner was having lunch at PJ's in Fulham Rd, London, and Bill Wyman was one of his guests. After reviewing the meal he ends the article as follows -
PS : Bill was speaking of the forthcoming 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones. He stopped playing with them years ago. They want him back for the anniversary tour. Bill, wisely, said he didn't want to tour.

Sadly, that makes sense. I can't see Bill embarking on a world tour with them. Hell, he won't even bring his own band to the States for some gigs. I think the idea of Bill's full participation is a pipe dream.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 15, 2012 20:07

Manofwealthandtaste

As regards this "anniversary tour", I think it's a case of "believing it" when you're actually entering the venue with ticket in hand .......... and not a moment before !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 15, 2012 20:14

Sounds very plausible given Bill's dislike of flying...but, if they offered him the right price I bet he'd do it. A few million quid can make flying seem less unpleasant and whilst Bill will be comfortable financially, I'm sure he could use the money given the lmited income from song writing royalties.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 15, 2012 20:43

I'd pretty much jump right out of my skin to have Bill Wyman back, tour or no tour.

Didn't I recently read somewhere that the Stones had cut Darryl Jones loose? Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.confused smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 15, 2012 20:46

crumbling_mice
Sounds very plausible given Bill's dislike of flying...but, if they offered him the right price I bet he'd do it. A few million quid can make flying seem less unpleasant and whilst Bill will be comfortable financially, I'm sure he could use the money given the lmited income from song writing royalties.

The only thing I think he might like is to get up on stage with them one more time so his daughters can see what a famous guy he was at one time. They tried to throw money at him before when he retired and it didn't work. I doubt that Bill Wyman left the band without being on completely firm financial footing. His restaurants still seem to be doing okay. Or maybe you're right and he's calculating one more big pay day to set him and his family up all right. I wish he'd do it for the fans, but maybe he dreads the idea. He seems like an all in, or all out kind of guy.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 15, 2012 20:48

Cocaine Eyes
Didn't I recently read somewhere that the Stones had cut Darryl Jones loose?

I think that would be big news around here.

Imagine the speculation that would result.

Date: April 15, 2012 20:56

Edith Grove
Cocaine Eyes

Yes, I know what you mean. I'm now searching everywhere to see if I did in fact read that about Darryl.

I know I read something that said he was free to 'make dates and play gigs for 2012'..... or something to that effect.

If I'm wrong about that - well, just take that one with a huge mountain of salt, OK? tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 15, 2012 21:06

Cocaine Eyes
Edith Grove
Cocaine Eyes

Yes, I know what you mean. I'm now searching everywhere to see if I did in fact read that about Darryl.

I know I read something that said he was free to 'make dates and play gigs for 2012'..... or something to that effect.

If I'm wrong about that - well, just take that one with a huge mountain of salt, OK? tongue sticking out smiley

I definitely remember reading about Darryl Jones no longer being on retainer for the Stones. I read it here; nowhere else. Within the last eight months or so too. Can't recall the exact source though.

Date: April 15, 2012 21:24

SweetThing
Cocaine Eyes
Edith Grove
Cocaine Eyes

I definitely remember reading about Darryl Jones no longer being on retainer for the Stones. I read it here; nowhere else. Within the last eight months or so too. Can't recall the exact source though.

Thank you! cool smiley

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 15, 2012 21:28

If Bill doesn't return, and it seems he will not, I'm quite confident that Mr. Jones will be back. I hope so anyway -- I like Darryl and his playing.

I can't imagine the Stones going through the arduous process of auditioning bass players again like they did in 1993 when Darryl is a call away. There is a lazy streak that runs through this band, you know.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 15, 2012 21:32

I watched the '89 Atlantic City show last night and Bill was rock solid. He and Charlie are the quintessential rhythm section; super tight and amazingly they don't even make eye contact. I don't fault Bill for leaving but in doing so he deprived us of some great sounds. The Vegas Stones were much more palatable with Bill, in my opinion.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: April 15, 2012 21:55

Michael Winner's Sunday Times column is really focused on food (and his ego) - so the "side comments" are probably accurately reported. Why would he or Bill make something up?

So we can conclude:

- a Tour is being planned
- they wanted Bill to be part of it... sadly it seems he won't be
- I guess thats why he was at the "jam" in London last December.

So:

- This will be the last Tour - why else invite Bill?
- He may do some gigs, certainly some in Europe (no flying)
- More evidence of the Tour being residencies in some big citie (eg O2, MSG)

- Bill feels he can comment without Mick telling him off!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 15, 2012 21:59

lock your teenage girls in the house.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 15, 2012 22:07

"...why else invite Bill?"

um, I think they've invited him back numerous times, possibly for every tour and this is a big anniversary. i wouldn't assume "the last time"

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 15, 2012 22:33

More Hot Rocks
lock your teenage girls in the house.

Q magazine cover, Steel Wheels era.

Date: April 15, 2012 22:36

SweetThing
Cocaine Eyes
Edith Grove
Cocaine Eyes

Makes zero sense. Bunch of crap.

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: April 15, 2012 22:42

I hope the Stones camp and Wyman are reading this thread. I am sure I am not the only fan in America that would plan a European vacation around a rolling Stones show with Bill Wyman back on stage.

How about a residency set of shows in London? Five nights over two weeks in London.

Or Bill could take the boat to NYC. From there he could motor coach the tour. They will need more days between shows anyway. He could get anywhere in North America within 3 days anyway.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: April 15, 2012 22:54

Put Bill on a boat to the states asap and get him warming up with Woody

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 15, 2012 22:56

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
SweetThing
Cocaine Eyes
Edith Grove
Cocaine Eyes

Is this what you're remembering?

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 15, 2012 23:05

They want Bill back and who could blame them?

Also, Darryl Jones is reportedly working on a solo album. If they let him go and need another bass player on short notice, the most likely guy to get the job would be Don Was since he is already in the band's inner circle. They would not need to audition him. However, his employer Blue Note Records will want to have a say in this.

It may well be that the Stones try to lure Bill into the fold on short notice because he is the only one who is able to fill in on short notice.

We'll see how that develops. Anyhow, it would be interesting to his playing on the new studio material they are going to record.

Date: April 15, 2012 23:06

Green Lady
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
SweetThing
Cocaine Eyes
Edith Grove
Cocaine Eyes

[www.iorr.org]

No - the one I'm remembering was not OT. It was about Darryl Jones no longer being at the Stones beck and call. And he was free to do whatever he wants and whenever he wants.

And, also - it's not a "bunch of crap".eye rolling smiley

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 15, 2012 23:23

Green Lady
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
SweetThing
Cocaine Eyes
Edith Grove
Cocaine Eyes

[www.iorr.org]

Time frame is right, yes, that is probably it.

Date: April 15, 2012 23:42

I hope I made myself clear....grinning smiley

Date: April 15, 2012 23:43

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 15, 2012 23:52

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-16 00:26 by Edith Grove.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 16, 2012 00:36

He will be 77 years old when the Stones roll out. Don't see him on a full scale tour.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 16, 2012 01:03

WE want you back Bill!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home