Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Name Keef
Posted by: Damon ()
Date: November 4, 2010 05:46

I noticed on another board that when people called Keith Keef they would get irate

how do people feel about the name here ?

Keith refers to himself as Keef in his book...

just sayn... loving the book.

damon

Re: The Name Keef
Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 4, 2010 09:42

As far as I know it's just an affectionate name for Keith Richards.
I don't know of it being used for any other Keith, so if someone says Keef I know they are referring to the one and only Keef Richards.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 4, 2010 13:45

People have referred to him as Keef since the late '60s, e.g., Keef Riffhard.

Date: November 4, 2010 14:43

The man says it himself on Main Offender: KEFF RIFF HARD

Posted by: jbgoode ()
Date: November 4, 2010 14:53

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 4, 2010 14:56

Keef is just an Estuary English mispronounciation of Keith e.g. instead of "I thought about going Thetford", an Estuary speaker says "I fawt abaht goin' tu fetford". It's really just the bollox talk of the ignorant English underclass these days!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 4, 2010 15:01

Father Ted
Keef is just an Estuary English mispronounciation of Keith e.g. instead of "I thought about going Thetford", an Estuary speaker says "I fawt abaht goin' tu fetford". It's really just the bollox talk of the ignorant English underclass these days!

grinning smiley

Posted by: mockingbird3 ()
Date: November 4, 2010 15:09

That ignorant underclass just full of bollocks talk if you ask me. BOLLOCKS BOLLOCKS BOLLOCKS. Uncouth. If they know their place, it's not devoid of a certain kind of low class ignorant ruffian charm...but how many of them do these days? Quite agree old chap. Quite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-04 15:14 by mockingbird3.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 4, 2010 15:19

Father Ted
"I fawt abaht goin' tu fetford".

You mean something like this ??? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: November 4, 2010 16:24

Father Ted

Yes, I always assumed "Keef" was a playful echoing by the fans of the way Mick seems to pronounce Keith's name, at least onstage and on record ("hey Keef, wot you doing"). I've heard the accent referred to as Mockney.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 4, 2010 16:56

Keef says in the book that as a youth he had a nickname with 'beef' in the title - it was earlier in the book so i forget the entire nickname -- but at Stones beginning (early 60s), he wrote his Aunt a letter (which he now has) and he signs it 'Keef', which he says was the next progression from 'beef', and he says this dispels the rumor that fans gave him this nickname in the late 60s.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 4, 2010 18:42

I thought it came from the Moroccan variant that's somewhere between pot and hash called keef.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home