Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie Speaks Up About Stuff (Gigs & Things)
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: March 17, 2012 16:31

[www.winnipegfreepress.com]

Charlie Watts wanted the Rolling Stones to play at Queen Elizabeth's diamond jubilee concert.

The drummer thinks it would have been a "great" event to perform at but the group - who have delayed plans for a tour until 2013 - don't have the time to fit in the special show.

Charlie said: "I don't think we'll do the Olympics opening ceremony. I didn't want to do it for a start.

"I'd love to have done the Queen's diamond jubilee because that's a great thing I think, but I don't think we'd have the time to do it.

"It'll be a night of the Sirs won't it, with Paul McCartney and Elton John."

Re: Charlie Speaks Up About Stuff (Gigs & Things)
Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: March 17, 2012 17:26

I guess it's up to the Queen...

And there is still some time to make Charlie, Bill, Keith and Ronnie a Sir...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 18, 2012 00:29

The Stones having the "luxury" to take as long as they want to record their albums like few groups has its obvious drawbacks.

Someone here once asked: What if the Stones were forced to work 9-to-5 with only two weeks vacation, like most people?

Interesting to ponder what more we'd have from them!

(Although someone then responded: If they were 9-to-5ers, they wouldn't have gone into rock `n' roll.)

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 19, 2012 01:31

I have much respect for Charlie but what is this nonsense? We don't have time? Such busy schedules that they can't function as a band? If they actually DO something, does it really count as 50 years? How many years have the Stones been a band, yet 'too busy' to do a gig?

Maybe I'm missing something culturally or Charlie is making a joke, I just don't get it.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 19, 2012 01:53

flacnvinyl
I have much respect for Charlie but what is this nonsense? We don't have time? Such busy schedules that they can't function as a band? If they actually DO something, does it really count as 50 years? How many years have the Stones been a band, yet 'too busy' to do a gig?

Maybe I'm missing something culturally or Charlie is making a joke, I just don't get it.

excellent post IMO

Date: March 19, 2012 07:30

flacnvinyl

When you find out just why they're so "busy" let me know. They're not doing anything right now as a "band" and haven't for quite some time. Mick has his little TV show he's doing for Showtime or HBO or whatever with little Marty, supposedly. Keith, well, look pal, we don't want to rock the boat there do we pal, huh pal. Ronnie, he has been busy. Charlie and his - he really seriously wanted the Stones to play something for the Queen? Has he lost his mind?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 19, 2012 16:52

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Has he lost his mind?

he's pre-lost it :E

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 19, 2012 16:57

I think Charlie saying they don't have time to do it refers to the amazing time investment involved with sounding like The Stones after a lengthy layoff.

He's probably thinking it would take months of rehearsals to sound respectable enough and the event would be passed by then.

He's a realist.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: March 19, 2012 17:52

Munichhilton
I think Charlie saying they don't have time to do it refers to the amazing time investment involved with sounding like The Stones after a lengthy layoff.

He's probably thinking it would take months of rehearsals to sound respectable enough and the event would be passed by then.

He's a realist.

Let's face it, it's been so long since they've done anything as a "band", that the only realistic way to bill any future event(s) would be as a reunion (and that would be with or without Bill and/or Mick T).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home