Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Aerosmith on 60 Minutes this weekend
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 10, 2012 17:15

STEVEN TYLER, AEROSMITH LIP ABOUT THEIR ROUGH RELATIONSHIP ON "60 MINUTES"

3/9/2012

Steven Tyler is not sorry for being high maintenance and causing plenty of drama for his band, Aerosmith, according to a profile airing on Sunday's (March 11) episode of CBS' "60 Minutes." "I think my perfectionism and my busting everyone's chops is what got this band to where it is today," Tyler tells "60 Minutes' " Lara Logan. "In the end, I get a really good song and in the end, I get the hits. Yeah, I'm that good." Tyler also acknowledges that, "I've said many things to all those guys that I should never have said, that I didn't mean." Logan also interviewed the rest of Aerosmith, who speak freely about Tyler's behavior; bassist Tom Hamilton calls him "unspeakably cruel." But Tyler maintains that Aerosmith is "better than it's ever been" as it works on a new album and plans for a summer tour. "It's not because I'm old now and the band's been around forever and it's our last tour. Bull&*%#!" he says. "It's because this band is that good."

Re: OT: Aerosmith on 60 Minutes this weekend
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 10, 2012 17:58

Thanks for that heads up, Tatters!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 10, 2012 23:10

imo, aerosmith stopped mattering during mtv heyday ... when every new track they had starting sounding like the same power ballad.

Date: March 10, 2012 23:25

LeonidP
imo, aerosmith stopped mattering during mtv heyday ... when every new track they had starting sounding like the same power ballad.
"F.I.N.E.", "eat the rich", "love in an elevator", etc all sound like powerballads to you?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 11, 2012 01:13

keefriffhard4life
LeonidP
"F.I.N.E.", "eat the rich", "love in an elevator", etc all sound like powerballads to you?

He has a point...singles since 1993:
1993: "Cryin'", No. 12
1994: "Amazing", No. 24
1994: "Crazy", No. 17
1997: "Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)", No. 35
1998: "Pink", No. 27
1998: "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", No. 1
2001: "Jaded", No. 7

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 11, 2012 01:26

I think I agree with Leonid. In the 80's Aerosmith became a power pop band, imo. I still like Steven's voice and his sense of humor and all, but as far as the music, I really like the 70's stuff and then I could never get into anything beyond that. I'm glad the band's still out there, though. Kudos to them for keeping it going through all the friction and drama.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 11, 2012 02:11

I still stand by the fact that 1989's PUMP blew Steel Wheels out of the water for me. It had one 'power ballad' hit - "What It Takes", which is imo their best. The Alicia Silverstone trilogy from Eat the Rich don't come close. The one from the Bruce Willis movie kind of turned off my interest and I haven't bought anything from them since.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 11, 2012 02:21

Well, if you like it, then you like it. I think 'Pump' was ok, but the drums are all loud and make it sound like an 80's hair-metal album. When I listen to the songs on Toys In The Attic, it's a totally different kind of band. I mean 'Young Lust' is fast like the 'Toys' title track, but the production on TITA, I think, brings out the talent that band had. In the 80's, it was a little more about trends and crowd-pleasing, and formulaic. Same happened to the Stones, no doubt.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 11, 2012 02:27

Well the writing was still solid on PUMP despite the 80s production values - which weren't that bad to me at the time - better than Permanent Vacation anyways. I thought Nine Lives was a better sounding album, but the writing wasn't as strong. The problem with Steel Wheels is that while it was reeeeally slick and over-glossy, the writing wasn't very inspired at all save for 2-3 tracks.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: March 11, 2012 02:41

looking forward to this, thanks

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: March 11, 2012 02:47

Thanks for the warning, I think I'll pass.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: March 11, 2012 02:48

Pump was a superb album, barely any filler at all.

I just rediscovered it and have to say it's stronger than Steel Wheels.

But then the Stones have so many awesome albums it's an embarrassment of riches :-)

Date: March 11, 2012 04:45

treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
LeonidP

He has a point...singles since 1993:
1993: "Cryin'", No. 12
1994: "Amazing", No. 24
1994: "Crazy", No. 17
1997: "Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)", No. 35
1998: "Pink", No. 27
1998: "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", No. 1
2001: "Jaded", No. 7

Eggzactly! I actually like both Permanent Vacation & most of Pump, but after like the 5 straight mtv power ballad it started to get very annoying. Also, you forgot "Angel" -- when was that one, like '91 or '92? (not to mention, tyler on american idol was the last straw, for me)

Date: March 11, 2012 06:20

"angel" was 1987 but sorry the record label is smart enough to release the ballads as singles to sell albums. i'm sure if rock songs were selling albums at the time the list of singles would be rock tunes and i don't count "pink" as a power ballad. its a blues based song with slick production

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: March 11, 2012 14:22

Reminder to self: Don't watch 60 minutes tonight!

Date: March 11, 2012 16:17

keefriffhard4life
"angel" was 1987 but sorry the record label is smart enough to release the ballads as singles to sell albums...

I don't care what the record label wants to sell -- I just don't want the exact same power ballad over & over. They all really sound like "Angel", don't they? Meaning "Crying", "Amazing", "Crazy", "Don't Want To Miss a Thing" etc...

Stones have fallen into the same trap w/ Streets Of Love, Following The River, Out Of Tears ... all sounding basically like Almost Hear You Sigh ... but at least the Stones only include 1/album.

** edit ** btw, I agree that Pink does not fall into that category. I love that tune!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-11 16:18 by LeonidP.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 11, 2012 17:55

keefriffhard4life
"angel" was 1987 but sorry the record label is smart enough to release the ballads as singles to sell albums. i'm sure if rock songs were selling albums at the time the list of singles would be rock tunes and i don't count "pink" as a power ballad. its a blues based song with slick production

ah...then of course all is forgiven. They are simply shilling for shilling's sake.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 11, 2012 18:26

This song was Huge in '93.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-11 18:30 by ryanpow.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: March 11, 2012 20:48

I think Steven Tyler's fixation on ballads is one of the reasons the band has had so much trouble completing another album of new material. (Their last was way back in 2001!) After Pump, he kind've became obsessed with having at least three on every album- and they were usually the kind written by outside songwriters.

My favorite song from Pump- and the whole "Geffen era" in general- is F.I.N.E. It's arguably one of the filthiest songs the band has ever released, if only because that's how the lyrics usually turn out when you try to sing it yourself.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 11, 2012 22:49

Nice to see an interesting Aerosmith thread without the usual "all they did was copy the Stones" crap.

Agree totally about Pump being a great album. And I think one of the reasons is that it didn't involve outside songwriters as much as the rest of the post-junkie Aerosmith records. You got Whitford and Hamilton credited on a couple of awesome tunes there, just like in the mid-70's. The album has an 80s rock sound to it, but still with punch and character, a bit like Mötley Crüe's Dr Feelgood album which came out the same year and substituted some of the washed-out hair metal sleaze for some actual balls (and even features Steven Tyler on backing vocals).

The singles from Get A Grip were great in their own way, too. And I agree that Nine Lives lacks in the songwriting. I think the tight and inspired live performances is the biggest contribution to Aerosmith's legacy as far as the last 15 years go. When they played at Sweden Rock Festival in 2007 (?), I heard several non-Aerosmith-fans talking about how freakin' good their gig was.

Date: March 12, 2012 00:58

LeonidP
keefriffhard4life
"angel" was 1987 but sorry the record label is smart enough to release the ballads as singles to sell albums...

I don't care what the record label wants to sell -- I just don't want the exact same power ballad over & over. They all really sound like "Angel", don't they? Meaning "Crying", "Amazing", "Crazy", "Don't Want To Miss a Thing" etc...

Stones have fallen into the same trap w/ Streets Of Love, Following The River, Out Of Tears ... all sounding basically like Almost Hear You Sigh ... but at least the Stones only include 1/album.

** edit ** btw, I agree that Pink does not fall into that category. I love that tune!

not sure if it was discussed on here but i don't blame aerosmith for "don't want to miss a thing". the song was already written and marked for the movie Armeggedon without aerosmith attached to it. it was actually steven tylers daughter liv who asked can her dad sing the song for the movie. originally celine dion, meat loaf and michael bolton were a few names being considered before aerosmith got it

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 12, 2012 02:42

just saw the interview...that band has a lot of tension inside it...that's a tightrope.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: March 12, 2012 03:14

Funny how in the interview Joe Perry called it "His band"

Date: March 12, 2012 03:20

Aerosmith did not write most of those 80's songs. Desmond Child wrote them. The upcoming LP will be the first songs written by tyler/perry in a 10 years. Great in concert - love em

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 12, 2012 03:42

aerosmith
get your wings
toys in the attic
night in the ruts

love these the best.

everything after that, not so great.not much of an edge. still, these guys still rock for guys in their 60's,

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: March 12, 2012 03:56

Midnight Toker
aerosmith
get your wings
toys in the attic
night in the ruts

love these the best.

Not "Rocks"?

Date: March 12, 2012 06:15

MILKYWAY
Midnight Toker
aerosmith
get your wings
toys in the attic
night in the ruts

love these the best.

Not "Rocks"?

Gotta put Draw The Line in there too!

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: March 12, 2012 06:33

has anyone heard it feels so good by steven tyler that song rocks

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 12, 2012 15:22

trainarollin
Funny how in the interview Joe Perry called it "His band"

Yeah I noticed that too. I think they all feel that they need each other and stay in the band, although it wasn't clear from the show if Tyler still is now he is in American Idol. And the drummer really needs a new haircut.

More here: [www.cbsnews.com]

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 12, 2012 17:12

Well, Tyler came off as a right bastard on 60 Minutes. I'm glad to see some things never change.

Their first five albums belong in any discerning rock'n'roller's collection. The rest? Not so much..

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home