Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"life" german translation sucks
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 29, 2010 13:04

the german translation is pretty bad. read 2 chapters and was really annoyed.
it sounds so odd when they translate english slang word by word....the keith language doesnt work like that!
anyone withe the same problem?
i'll by the english version....

Re: "life" german translation sucks
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 29, 2010 13:12

The Dutch version is pretty bad as well. The translater clearly didn't know anything about the music bizz.

Mathijs

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: October 29, 2010 13:19

good to know, if i will really buy it which i haven´t decided yet to do i will go for the original version.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 29, 2010 16:35

I suspected that the german translation would suck in the first place, so I orderd the english hardcover book at amazon.de.
I have one "translated to german" book of Stephen Davis which I've never read because it just makes me wanna puke.

I looks like it was a bad idea to order an english book at german Amazon.de as the price changes on a daily basis.
it's supposed to ship on Oct. 30th - now I get a message that it will be November 9th eye rolling smiley
I placed my order at a price of 17,30 €, next day it was € 16 something, today its 24,95 € wtf

if only I had a card that was accepted by amazon.uk I would have ordered there and it would be much cheaper & faster anyway.
what a mess moody smiley

Posted by: BobK ()
Date: October 29, 2010 16:40

Ordered my English version at Amazon UK and got it wednesday. Perfect and also cheaper than the translated version in bookstore.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 29, 2010 16:46

I too got it in English right away. I suspected the German translation would be aweful.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 29, 2010 17:05

I think that these days all translations are done by computer, then reviewd in one way or the other. I see it at work too. Cheaper, faster, but word-by-word translations often lead to funny results, in particular when slang is involved.

Got the english version via amazon uk. Read the first chapter. It is no Dante, but it is fun!

C

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: October 29, 2010 17:14

I want to get the English version too. There are 2 versions available at Amazon.de (from different publishers).
What's the difference? Is one the UK and the other the US edition?

[www.amazon.de]
or
[www.amazon.de]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-29 17:18 by midnrambler.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: October 29, 2010 17:17

I just want to see the Brazilian translation. Usually are very bad. But let´s see. It will be avaliable only in November, 29.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 29, 2010 17:20

The French one sucks too. Keith's unique verbal expression has been turned into some slang/patois that feels and sounds awful...

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: October 29, 2010 17:35

Here in Basel I couldn't get the English version yet, only the German version and I don't read that well in German... But the book looks great... I will be in the US next week and buy it there.

sjouke

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 29, 2010 17:50

[www.iorr.org]

As dcba wrote <<
The French one sucks too. Keith's unique verbal expression has been turned into some slang/patois that feels and sounds awful...
<<

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 29, 2010 18:09

I´ve read a few rock/music biographies in Swedish and they are all horrendous. For some reason the translaters can´t find the right words, or the right mood to catch the spirit of the book. The worst example is a Miles Davis biography that I threw away after three pages.

Date: October 29, 2010 18:35

"the translaters can´t find the right words, or the right mood to catch the spirit of the book"
You've summed things up pretty well... thumbs up

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 30, 2010 01:09

stoneswashed77
good to know, if i will really buy it which i haven´t decided yet to do i will go for the original version.

Original or german version,according to you just four days ago it´s "borderline
stupid to read that stupid book from that guy,which I will not buy or read ".

Good to know !

" Re: R.I.P. the Rolling Stones, killed by one man's jealousy
Date: October 25, 2010 13:53

Cocaine Eyes

mickschix
Why wouldn't Jagger be " furious and Hurt"? Why is that hard to imagine?

Jagger has already read the book. He would easily have nixed anything he didn't want to be published. In fact, Jagger is probably having a great laugh over some of the miniscule details. I'm sure Jagger knows how to read a book in its entirety before getting upset.

to read the book in it´s entirety to judge it??

that´s not world literature it´s keith richards. to read a book from that guy is borderline stupid anyway.

he made those remarks about mick and i can judge that without reading that stupid book, which i will not buy or read."

[www.iorr.org]

Date: October 30, 2010 01:31

i still think so just in case you doubted that.

Posted by: StonesAustria ()
Date: October 30, 2010 03:09

I completely agree, the German version is ridiculously bad. Its a shame what HEYNE has done to this book.

Do the girls still scream, when you perform on stage? KR: Not on stage, but when I perform, yeah.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 30, 2010 04:13

Is there a German word for "sucks?" grinning smiley

Date: October 30, 2010 04:49

Edith Grove

saugen!

Date: October 30, 2010 06:06

guitarbastard
Edith Grove

saugen!

Die Übersetzung von "Life" saugt also? ^^

man, u suck at translating this one! lol

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 30, 2010 06:26

I don't know what's worse....the bad German translation, or the lame Johnny Depp English version. confused smiley

Date: October 30, 2010 06:29

open-g
guitarbastard
Edith Grove

saugen!

Die Übersetzung von "Life" saugt also? ^^

man, u suck at translating this one! lol

actually I meant to say
man, so u also suck at translating this one! lol

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 30, 2010 10:59

I think it's typical problem with translation of non-fiction pop culture books that have to be thrown on the market worldwide on the same day. The translators don't take the time they need and they are poorly paid too. The publishers on the other hand don't take autobiographies of pop stars too serious etc etc. One exception might be Bob Dylan's Chronicles, but he plays in an other league (seen from literature's point of view). Still the German translation of his Lycris 1962-2001 is unbelievable bad.
I also remember reading Victor Bockris' Keith biography some 15 years ago - another example of a bad translation of pop culture books

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 30, 2010 11:41

guitarbastard
it sounds so odd when they translate english slang word by word....the keith language doesnt work like that!
You probably opened "Mein Kampf" and not "Life"!! yawning smiley)

Date: October 30, 2010 12:52

mtaylor
guitarbastard
You probably opened "Mein Kampf" and not "Life"!! yawning smiley)

ah thats why! i wondered why it's all written in "fraktur"....;-)

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 30, 2010 14:56

open-g
I suspected that the german translation would suck in the first place, so I orderd the english hardcover book at amazon.de.
I have one "translated to german" book of Stephen Davis which I've never read because it just makes me wanna puke.

I looks like it was a bad idea to order an english book at german Amazon.de as the price changes on a daily basis.
it's supposed to ship on Oct. 30th - now I get a message that it will be November 9th eye rolling smiley
I placed my order at a price of 17,30 €, next day it was € 16 something, today its 24,95 € wtf

if only I had a card that was accepted by amazon.uk I would have ordered there and it would be much cheaper & faster anyway.
what a mess moody smiley

when you preorder at amazon and the price gets lower, you pay the lower price, when the price gets up you just pay the one when you placed your order

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 30, 2010 17:48

It's always difficult or impossible to translate a book with lots of slang. You can't find the same expressions in other languages.
A recommendation: always read the book in the original language. And specially when it is in English, which most people understand - read english authors in english not translated.

It is the same problem with movies. Just an example - listening to John Wayne saying: Hände hoch oder ich schieße! instead of Hands up or I'll shoot !!!

Date: October 30, 2010 22:28

"And specially when it is in English, which most people understand - read english authors in english not translated."

You're right and imho English is the most mistreated language in translation : nowadays lots of ppl speak English so if you're unemployed you can suddenly reinvent yourelf as an English translator, and scrap some money. From my experience it happens quite often, with dreadful results.
The French translation of Gus Hashford great book "The Short Timers" (aka "Full Metal Jacket") was just a big load of rubbish.

Not so easy to mes with Korean or Russian. Books in these languages are usually MUCH better translated, by ppl who have a true expertise and lots of experience.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 30, 2010 22:38

Is the german translation really that useless?

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: October 31, 2010 02:10

shortfatfanny
stoneswashed77

Original or german version,according to you just four days ago it´s "borderline
stupid to read that stupid book from that guy,which I will not buy or read ".

" Re: R.I.P. the Rolling Stones, killed by one man's jealousy
Date: October 25, 2010 13:53

Cocaine Eyes

mickschix
Why wouldn't Jagger be " furious and Hurt"? Why is that hard to imagine?

Jagger has already read the book. He would easily have nixed anything he didn't want to be published. In fact, Jagger is probably having a great laugh over some of the miniscule details. I'm sure Jagger knows how to read a book in its entirety before getting upset.

to read the book in it´s entirety to judge it??

that´s not world literature it´s keith richards. to read a book from that guy is borderline stupid anyway.

he made those remarks about mick and i can judge that without reading that stupid book, which i will not buy or read."

[www.iorr.org]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home