Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hampton 81 DVD Revisited
Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 05:12

Last week, a few couples gathered for some fine wine, pizza, and the Stones. The guys were my old friends from high school . . . One is a musician, and both of them are avid stones guys, however, both haven't really watched many stones dvds or youtube stuff, not like some of us!!!grinning smiley

So we put on the DVD, and we all enjoyed the first few songs. We were discussing the stones' 77-83ish era, at length, through out the night. Its quite enjoyable hearing differing opinions of the band. But mid-way through the show, somewhere around You can't always get, Ronnie just kinda stopped playing. For the rest of the show, my musician friend was rooting him on, but cursing when the lick or solo wasn't there. So was I, I had forgotten about the second half of this show. Damn! I mean I am a Taylor guy, but I grew up on the 81 stones, and I understand the antics on stage are part of the fun of it and all but, Ronnie was so bad this second half. One of the girls said he may have taken something at the beginning and it kicked in 45 min into the show!!!!

I have to admit, I was a bit uncomfortable and I, as a huge stones fan, was feeling the heat from some of the others who are not big stones fans. Anyone ever have an experience like that? I mean, we all enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but maybe I should have thrown in Some Girls DVD at some point.

Check out ronnie here, I mean, really? does it take that damn long to get another guitar, god . . . can't believe the summer of 78 was only 3 years before (hate to think what chemicals Ronnie was into, according to Life, he was not in good shape), oh well, still love the band during this time . . . Its all Keith here:

And I totally forgot, Bobby is at this show! On the cowbell!!! and sax, he stays on for Brown sugar solo too. I thought I had read in Life that he was banned til 89?confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 05:13 by NorthShoreBlues2.

Re: Hampton 81 DVD Revisited
Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: February 21, 2012 05:27

wow, that is weird about the guitar. From the 82 shows I've heard, it seems like the problem was sometimes even worse - where is the guy???

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 21, 2012 07:17

MrMonte
wow, that is weird about the guitar. From the 82 shows I've heard, it seems like the problem was sometimes even worse - where is the guy???

Uh, free basing I believe. Just short of Belushiville.

Date: February 21, 2012 07:34

MrMonte

He doesn't seem gone that long. At around 0:30 he is back in.
I think it is interesting that you can see Jagger and Keith both at around 0:21 glance over to his side.
But HTW sounded good IMO. The solo with the guitars and the horns sounded almost New Orleans type.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 21, 2012 07:47

Umm, I think I take back some of what I said about Ronnie in that other thread. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 21, 2012 11:21

Ronnie never played much on Hang Fire anyway. This is just showing for the cameras. Quite funny though smiling smiley

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 21, 2012 12:02

How about Mick checking on Ronnie. Probably nothing but at 0:54, it looks as if Mick is staring at Ronnie, while singing "...Nowhere to work..." Maybe a warning/threat?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 21, 2012 14:22

Well, there were some advantages with the vegas era. That kind of sloppiness wouldn't have been accepted. But in 1981 drugabuse was, apparently, considered cool...

Date: February 21, 2012 14:25

Stoneage
Well, there were some advantages with the vegas era. That kind of sloppiness wouldn't have been accepted. But in 1981 drugabuse was, apparently, considered cool...

It wasn't even considered abuse winking smiley

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 14:29

What happens at around 0:50? He seems to be very unsteady on his feet, and does he actally fall at one point before recomposing himself? And he certainly does appear to get a 'look' from Jagger.

Date: February 21, 2012 14:39

68to72
What happens at around 0:50? He seems to be very unsteady on his feet, and does he actally fall at one point before recomposing himself? And he certainly does appear to get a 'look' from Jagger.

Then again, he's completely sober compared to Keith's sleeping in 1976 on Fool To Cry zzzzzzzzzzzzz winking smiley

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 14:45

DandelionPowderman
68to72

Then again, he's completely sober compared to Keith's sleeping in 1976 on Fool To Cry zzzzzzzzzzzzz winking smiley

LOL! Thats true.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 21, 2012 14:55

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

It wasn't even considered abuse winking smiley

Hmmmm... maybe somebody should open a drug abuse rescuse house. A loving place to take care of all of the abused drugs out there. Set it up like the animal rescue houses/services, where they adopt and take care of animals who are abused... they could take in all of the abused drugs and show them the love they need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 14:58 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 21, 2012 18:55

DandelionPowderman
68to72

That's cause its Fool To Cry....half the audience was asleep and Jagger was just being an annoying alarm clock...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:05

Ronnie doesn't play much at the beginning of Hang Fire on any live versions of Hang Fire, because he doesn't have anything to play there, apart from some standard chords; Hang Fire was a "Keith moment" in 81/82, just like Starf*cker was in 1973. I never thought about Ronnie doing a bad job when watching the Hampton 1981 video - I just thought it was cool that he seemed to have such a grand time on stage. He does some brilliant playing as well when he decides to do that.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: March 8, 2012 00:53

Is there already "remastered" bootleg DVD of Hampton that uses the
audio of the officially released FLAC download by www.StonesArchice.com ?

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: March 8, 2012 01:59

Ronnie was a mess all tour...the seattle shows and then the 82 european shows were hyper sloppy......Charlie seems drunk too BTW although this was to my ear about the end of his best period.

Posted by: jonnylamar ()
Date: March 8, 2012 07:03

are we not going overboard here ronnie can be seen at the beginning of hang fire changing guitars then playing witha long scarf and then running around the stage. he is not falling over from drug abuse merely fooling around.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 8, 2012 07:31

mrfancyman
Is there already "remastered" bootleg DVD of Hampton that uses the
audio of the officially released FLAC download by www.StonesArchice.com ?

It's being worked on. But it's not that easy, as the official version is full of cuts between tracks besides being extremely compressed.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: March 8, 2012 08:47

DandelionPowderman

Then again, he's completely sober compared to Keith's sleeping in 1976 on Fool To Cry zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I've heard about this, but is there any video/audio proof, other than from the horse's mouth?

I read about it in Martin Elliott's book, The Complete Rolling Stones Recording Sessions. It went something like, "Keith wryly recalls falling asleep during a live rendition of Fool to Cry."

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: March 8, 2012 09:46

It's one of Ronnie's strengts to know when not to overplay. To play second guitar in Hang Fire must be one of the most boring things you can do as a guitar player. Why not fool around?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home