Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Sri Lanka
Posted by: Uncle Thud ()
Date: October 28, 2010 05:39

Hi Everybody,

Me and the Mrs. are thinking about taking a trip to Sri Lanka early next year.

Does anyone out there have any recommendations regarding hotels, interior travel etc. etc?

Aside from a day or two in Colombo, we'll probably spend most of our time in the Hill Country and South.

Thanks.

UT

Re: OT - Sri Lanka
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 28, 2010 10:02

Hi Uncle Thud. Just came back from there a few weeks ago. Where are you from? We got a great deal from the UK with Mercury Direct - all inclusive with flights for about £2200 including our young daughter. The hotel was called Tangerine Beach and it's in Kalutara - 2 hours south of Colombo on the southern bit of the west coast.
Great food although the hotel needed a lick of paint. But great value considering you'd pay the same for a trip to Spain these days.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 28, 2010 11:47

Check with whitem8, though he just had to be flown out because of a medical emergency. He knows a lot about Sri Lanka.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 28, 2010 14:12

I have been going to Sri Lanka for the past 19 years. I was in the Peace Corps from 91-93 in a small village up country. I now speak Sinhala and a bit of Tamil. Tele is right, but I am still in Lanka, in hospital with a broken foot and leaving on Sunday. I would be more than happy to help you out, email me. I have contacts. If you like the beach, I would recommend Mirissa, Tangalle, and if you are adventurous Aragam Bay and Trincomole. Hill country is beautiful and there are several cool tea estates you can stay on. Feel free to contact me.

Posted by: Uncle Thud ()
Date: October 30, 2010 07:41

Thanks for the responses and white8M I might drop you a line. I don't know anyone who has actually been there, so some pointers / advice would be appreciated. Very kind of you to offer. I live in the US.

In the meantime sorry to hear about your foot and wish you a quick and complete recovery. Hope you have a safe journey home.

UT

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 1, 2010 15:02

Just don't get married there:

[www.foxnews.com]

Date: November 1, 2010 15:19

That was in the MALDIVES. That is a country. Not Sri Lanka.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: November 1, 2010 16:43

I lived there for four years. In the south, go to the Italian place in Dickwella (great name, eh?)

Date: November 1, 2010 16:48

Hey Zack, I was just down in Tangalle and went through Dickwella, and the Italian place is closed now...sad, she was a great cook!

Date: November 1, 2010 17:16

Ah, sorry, saw the news story came from Sri Lanka.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 1, 2010 18:53

Isn't it a bit weird to go to a country where a terrible fierce civil war raged until not long ago... Like going to Lebanon in the late 80's, or Cambodia in 1982.

Nice places but errrrrr... knowing a bit of History doesn't hurt.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 1, 2010 19:00

I was in Sri Lanka when I was 14 and was shocked how many men walked down Colombo streets holding hands. I initially concluded that Colombo was a Mecca for homosexuals. But the men were straight. If the Stones were Sri Lankan, they'd probably have walked down the red carpet at the SHINE A LIGHT premiere holding hands.

Date: November 2, 2010 10:25

dcba
Isn't it a bit weird to go to a country where a terrible fierce civil war raged until not long ago... Like going to Lebanon in the late 80's, or Cambodia in 1982.

Nice places but errrrrr... knowing a bit of History doesn't hurt.

Actually your analogies are way off the mark. Sri Lanka's civil war was nothing like what happened in Lebanon and Cambodia. I was in the Peace Corps in SL during the civil war and have continued to visit, during the hard times, up to the end of the war. The war was a very sad and destructive event in SL history. It was complex, and was strictly internal, in that foreigners were never purposely targeted, accept near the end of the war when the LTTE attacked the airport. The fact that SL was in a civil war did not mitigate the fact that the country is a beautiful place steeped in poverty. And that traveling there gave the innocent folks a means of survival. Also tourism educates and expands understanding of the world. For sure there are a lot of political issues in Sri Lanka that the world should know more about. Again, traveling to SL, while it may seem strange, should be encouraged to help the locals and to learn more.
Now in reference to the other comment about SL and men holding hands, yes that is true, as it is in many parts of the world, where affection towards others does not need to have a sexual definition. It is close affection for friends, and how beautiful it is to see...and again the West can learn a lot from this.

Date: November 2, 2010 14:51

Isn't there still an ongoing battle between the military and the Tamil Tigers in small regions? I guess I assumed that meant the civil war continues but on a very small scale.

Date: November 2, 2010 15:30

No the civil war is over. The LTTE was defeated and their main leaders were killed. At the moment there are several camps in the north with refugees and former LTTE soldiers. The change in the country is quite dramatic. Military check points are being removed and there is a lot of development going on. Tourism is rebounding, and there are several new roads being built. The mood is quite positive, especially in Colombo and on the southern coast.
However, the camps in the North are quite worrisome. Conditions are no doubt quite poor. Additionally, foreigners are not allowed to travel by land to Jaffna, and must travel by plane. There is quite a bit of suspicion towards the foreign media and western governments who condemned the final surge agains the Tigers.
But it is safe to travel there. And even during the height of the civil war I traveled completely un-molested throughout the country.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2095
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home