Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Controversial: ER is better than SG
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 28, 2012 21:35

It is.

I've been listening to (the negelected by me) Emotional Rescue album LOTS lately.

God.. this is a good album.

Production is first class.

If the Stones produced anything like this post 1989 people would be wetting themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-28 21:37 by GravityBoy.

Re: Controversial: ER is better than SG
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 28, 2012 21:46

B.S. It's a rag tag album, with the great Emotional Rescue, She's So Cold, and the wonderful Indian Girl. The rest is throwaway. SG has coherence and that rare sense of musical journalism, that you were hearing an aural report on the band. ER was just a bunch of songs.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: February 28, 2012 21:54

GravityBoy

If the Stones produced anything like this post 1989 people would be wetting themselves.

I agree with this. Although at the time it was derided for being self-parody, which we now call "that good 'ol Stones sound" and pine away for.

It's a fun album and I have fond memories of being a "tween" and playing it over and over at the time.

Better than Some Girls, that's a stretch, but whatever floats your boat.

Date: February 28, 2012 21:54

Well that's one opinion.

"Dance" and "Where The Boys Go" are classics.

Actually it's all great and a lot of SG is overrated (Except for Miss You, BTMMR and Shattered).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-28 21:55 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: February 28, 2012 22:02

GravityBoy
Well that's one opinion.

"Where The Boys Go" is classic.

Actually it's all great and a lot of SG is overrated (Except for Miss You, BTMMR and Shattered).

Well nothing on ER kicks ass the way When The Whip Comes Down does.
Lies & Respectable you could lump in with Summer Romance, Where The Boys Go and pick either/or. Is it the cod-country of Far Away Eyes or the cod-reggae of Send It To Me? A case can be made for both. Dance is better disco than Miss You but not nearly as catchy. In fact, most of the tunes on Some Girls are catchier, and arranged better. But hey, I love Emotional Rescue as well. Hell, I love Undercover. I draw the line at Dirty Work, though.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 28, 2012 22:09

GravityBoy

I think that says more about the weak music they've produced recently than how "great" the songs on ER are.

I enjoy about half the songs on ER. I never saw it as a cohesive full record but rather just a collection of songs.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 28, 2012 22:20

Justin
GravityBoy

I think that says more about the weak music they've produced recently than how "great" the songs on ER are.

Yeah and still EMOTIONAL RESCUE was the weakest album they had released by then... It alrady showed the signs that would come a standard later: there was not actually outstanding songs any longer. Some good but not really classics. It is clearly weaker in that sense than SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU. Unfortunately UNDERCOVER then continĂșed the trend of showing the artistic downhill of Jagger/Richards song factory of no able producing any longer outstanding songs.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-28 22:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 28, 2012 22:23

I feel in more ways then one, the band was still riding off the high they were on from recording some girls during the recording of ER. So the result is they weren't able to capture as much creativity but there's still some moments of brilliance. Kind of like what GHS is to Exile.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-28 22:28 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 28, 2012 22:33

Doxa
Justin
GravityBoy

Yeah and still EMOTIONAL RESCUE was the weakest album they had released by then... It alrady showed the signs that would come a standard later: there was not actually outstanding songs any longer. Some good but not really classics. it easy clearly weaker in that sense than SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU. Unfortunately UNDERCOVER then continĂșed the trend of showing the artistic downhill of Jagger/Richards song factory of no able producing any longer outstanding songs.

- Doxa

You are correct Doxa. There is also still some truth in GravityBoy's original comment that we would be drooling over anything like that had they written something like that today. Like you said, it may have been the weakest album by that point but the writing was still lightyears more focused than what we've gotten in any recent album. One can almost see just how watered down the writing had gotten from ER to ABB. It's the same as making a copy of a tape: by the time you get to the 7th generation copy...the quality suffers and is far worse than the original copy. That to me is the Stones' recent music output: copy after copy of the same source.

Date: February 28, 2012 22:38

ryanpow
I feel in more ways then one, the band was still riding off the high they were on from recording some girls during the recording of ER. So the result is they weren't able to capture as much creativity but there's still some moments of brilliance. Kind of like what GHS is to Exile.

Yeah, I feel the same. They were riding high at the time... the band was red hot. But for some reason they couldn't find any longer songs in the caliber of "Miss You", "Besat of Burden", "Faraway Eyes", "Before They Make Me Run" or "Shattered" any longer. I think the quality all over is quite high in EMOTINAL RESCUE; there is not exactly weak songs at all, but then again, there aren't really inspired songs either. It is the fresh inspiration that is urgent in SOME GIRLS missing in EMOTIONAL RESCUE. Seemingly it is EXILE7GOATS HEAD SOUP-like problem to follow a truely inspirational album: what to do next? EMOTIONAL RESCUE sound a bit like an hangover of SOME GIRLS.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-28 22:51 by Doxa.

Date: February 28, 2012 22:41

I care not.

I'm finally loving it after 32 years (most of which time it was under my bed).

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 28, 2012 22:46

theory: it's because lots of SOME GIRLS has been played to death...and (to you...and maybe me) EMOTIONAL RESCUE sounds "better" because it's not as familiar.

personally, i play ER much more than SG. I like both but ER reminds me of a certian fun-time in my life.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: February 28, 2012 23:08

I think there are three albums into which the father time has been really kind: GOATS HEAD SOUP, BLACK AND BLUE and EMOTIONAL RESCUE. All of them were decleared quite quickly (after they heyday, or even then) some kind of career floppers, but I think as the years go by - and the Stones started releasing REALLY mediocre albums - their status and value has been revaluated. They have so much great unique things in them.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-28 23:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 28, 2012 23:12

I love Dance. I like the title track too, though radio didn't know what to make of it at the time. The rockers sound like SG leftovers. I like this album much better than Black & Blue and also better than Undercover.

Date: February 28, 2012 23:16

71Tele
I love Dance

Yep.

Love the bass. Is it Bill this time or Ronnie again.

Date: February 29, 2012 00:00

GravityBoy
71Tele
I love Dance

Yep.

Love the bass. Is it Bill this time or Ronnie again.

Ronnie, methinks.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: February 29, 2012 00:06

I wouldnt say it is anywhere near as good as SG's ....but, it is a great recording, good production and some brilliant songs, particuarly ER, Down In the Hole, Dance. Sorry to say I'm not a fan of Indian Girl - worst song the Stones ever did. I return to this album every few years and it sounds better each time. Strangley, when it first came out I was fairly disappointed ...after TAttoo You it seemed like a weak, patchy filler cluttered mess...as someone said above, if they had released it last year or at the time of ABB we would have raved over it. Funny thing time init?

Date: February 29, 2012 00:38

crumbling_mice
I wouldnt say it is anywhere near as good as SG's ....but, it is a great recording, good production and some brilliant songs, particuarly ER, Down In the Hole, Dance. Sorry to say I'm not a fan of Indian Girl - worst song the Stones ever did. I return to this album every few years and it sounds better each time. Strangley, when it first came out I was fairly disappointed ...after TAttoo You it seemed like a weak, patchy filler cluttered mess...as someone said above, if they had released it last year or at the time of ABB we would have raved over it. Funny thing time init?

Tattoo You was after ER.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 29, 2012 00:46

I thought Some Girls covered new ground for the Stones. A response to the driving punk movement, and a (successful) attempt to sound and be relevant in 1978.

ER was the first Stones album I could not get into. Some fun, but very throwaway, songs (Like Boys All Go, and Summer Romance), to...it's just my opinion...the really bad Indian Girl. Other the Emotional Rescue, it sounded like someone trying to sound like the Stones...but no real soul.

But I agree, we mos of us would welcome this level of work from the band now.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 29, 2012 00:49

Doxa
I think there are three albums into which the father time has been really kind: GOATS HEAD SOUP, BLACK AND BLUE and EMOTIONAL RESCUE. All of them were decleared quite quickly (after they heyday, or even then) some kind of career floppers, but I think as the years go by - and the Stones started releasing REALLY mediocre albums - their status and value has been revaluated. They have so much great unique things in them.
- Doxa

What they have in common are three or four good/great songs and a bunch of forgettable filler. GH has some coherence and sense of unity, even though that theme is melancholy, while Black and Blue and Emotional Rescue are just some songs to fill out a contract requirement. And yes, we would go apeshit if they put out a new record with at least the highs of any of those albums.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 29, 2012 00:51

It's a good record, but you're deranged if you seriously think its higher quality than SG.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 29, 2012 01:03

GravityBoy
I care not.

I'm finally loving it after 32 years (most of which time it was under my bed).

We talked about this in another thread a few days ago...I need to go back to the vinyl album and drag out that 6 foot door poster! I'll try to remember tonight!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 29, 2012 01:06

71Tele
crumbling_mice

Tattoo You was after ER.

Only if you're moving forward in the time spectrum.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: February 29, 2012 01:08

to gravityboy's defense, although SG is epic, calling ER "Deranged" or "rag tag" etc. is BS.

I'm not gonna go through song by song on ER (although unmentioned Let Me Go and All About You deserve props) or GHS (so many examples), but they both kick @ss, and totally on par with the glossier TY (maybe better IMO although Start Me Up is pretty much an anthem).

ER defined one moment in time for me, and it was a fun time with good music. GHS, more introspective, is great in its own right and still had our beloved MT.

For me, ALL albums up to 1980 were good or great, and then the monumental artistic slide happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-29 01:10 by paulm.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 29, 2012 01:08

Let's throw them in a salad and see what comes up (plus b-sides)...

Love/Like: Miss You, Imagination, Respectable, Beast of Burden, Dance (Pt 1), If I Was A Dancer (Dance Pt. 2), Let Me Go, She's So Cold, All About You

Meh/So-so: When the Whip Comes Down, Far Away Eyes, Before They Make Me Run, Summer Romance, Emotional Rescue

Don't Care For/Dislike: Lies, Some Girls, Shattered, Everything is Turning to Gold, Send It To Me, Indian Girl, Where the Boys Go

To me they're both on the same level.
Some girls is overrated - has its share of boring songs mixed in with the good ones.

Emotional Rescue is underrated - while comes across as a goofy album, the strong tracks raise it above where it sits with most fans as a throwaway.

For me, they're both equal. Neither coming close to the Stones' golden years, but neither as lame as Dirty Work or as toothless as the Vegas-era Stones.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 29, 2012 01:09

Better than SG? About as much chance as me dating Cameron Diaz. As someone else stated it's a rag tag album, some catchy songs but imo the worst Stones album.

ER is probably less of a disappointment than Dirty Work only because of its release year. Since it was sandwiched inbetween Some Girls and Tatoo You you can just look at it as a bonus album.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 29, 2012 01:12

One can argue whether this system with a huge pile of money and a contract to do 3-4 albums is very productive. This mentality to make and album just to fulfill a contract doesn't seem to inspire the artist. Therefore bland albums like B & B and E R. They should have struck an percentage deal. Maybe that would have kept their focus on the music instead of all other things.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 29, 2012 01:17

Indian Girl SUCKS. <---- typed that for Stonestod smileys with beer

I love Emotional Rescue (aside from Indian Girl) but I don't think it is equal to Some Girls. Love the record though. She's So Cold is a beautiful anomaly within the Stones catalog. If only they tried to play it like that ONCE live!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 29, 2012 01:21

Indian Girl sucks hard.
I play it to make friends laugh due to its unintentional comedy.
Mick's fake accent, talking about stuff he may have scanned over morning coffee, fakest track ever.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 29, 2012 01:26

ER is basically two discohits, ER and Dance. The rest is forgettable. They should have released the album as a disco 12".

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1939
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home