Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Going to New York on holiday for 1st time: suggestions please!
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:08

Although many things to see are there any must see Rolling Stones places etc, as I know New York is a very Stones city ?

Thank you!

Re: Going to New York on holiday for 1st time: suggestions please!
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:11

new york can be a frightening experience for first-timers. it's best to stay huddled under your hotel bed until it's time to fly home.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:21

If you have ever been to Paris before tell us who's ruder : the New-Yorkers or the Parisians!

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:22

The Dakota building, mick visited Lennon there. smiling smiley

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:29

Hi there - first have a blast. Are you going to the show at the Apollo??

Check out Greenwich Village. Smalls is great for Jazz...
Also, the Lower East Side (about a 20 minute walk along Houston from the Village) is great to find cheap eats & good bars (just avoid it on the weekend nights - a bit of a zoo).

The MOMA is awesome! Check out the Free admission afternoon (Friday's)...Also, the MET, Museum of Natural History, Central Park...(The Lennon memorial). Ah, there's so much to do.

BTW, New Yorkers are MUCH nicer than Parisians.smoking smiley

Cheers.
Memphis

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:32

Make sure to go to Bleecker Records,lots of old Lps,and rare stuff,if you are into that..Best city in the World,bar none..

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:36

if i were going i'd try to take in the Jeremy Lin show, but that's just me.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:42

My advice is do everything you can to stay alive.

Date: February 21, 2012 18:03

GravityBoy

right...per my post above

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 21, 2012 18:47

The theater district in midtown always has some shows going on and it's worth checking out. The Village is the gentrified hip place for most folks to hang. A few dive bars that rival any in the world.

But best advice is to check the entertainment section of the New York Times. I love to read it even here in California. NYC has so much going on in any given week that it is your own fault if you don't find something worthwhile.

And yes NYC is a VERY Stones city, they are almost like royalty amoung the older rock and roll crowd. Rap and R&B is still king with the youngsters and you will hear it whether you like it or not.

If your luck you may even get to see Bill German give his multimedia presentation about his time with the Stones.

Have a great trip! peace

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 21, 2012 18:50

Go to Toronto instead

Date: February 21, 2012 18:52

More Hot Rocks
Go to Toronto instead

Montreal.

I think prostitution is legal there.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 21, 2012 18:59

steel driving hammer
More Hot Rocks
Go to Toronto instead

Montreal.

wrong, it's not legal there.

But, as a resident of Toronto, I would recommend visiting Montreal over Toronto, especially in the summer. Though Toronto is great, as well.
As far as NYC goes, check out a japanese restaurant called Ninja. It's super fun!

Date: February 21, 2012 19:07

GumbootCloggeroo
steel driving hammer
More Hot Rocks
Go to Toronto instead

Montreal.

But, as a resident of Toronto, I would recommend visiting Montreal over Toronto, especially in the summer. Though Toronto is great, as well.
As far as NYC goes, check out a japanese restaurant called Ninja. It's super fun!

In 1992 it was legal, there was a hotel and all...

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:20

Dakota is good...across the street from Central Park & Strawberry Feilds. While in the park visit the Sheep Meadow & Great Lawn. Try the old St. Marks Bar & Grill...you can google location. It was used in the Waiting on a Friend video. Check local listings ....or pollstar.com to see who is in town. The Apollo Theater is historical w/ or w/out Howlin for Hubert. Check the Beacon Theater...a great venue. Not sure of your travel details in terms of experience or size of group?...but enjoy & have fun. A little research before goes a long way ...but there is certainly something for everybody in NY. I actually live in Florida..but grew up in & around the city. These days NY is safer than FL. The daily news down here shocks me in terms of violence. ...even after years of living here. A few random thoughts ...Try Mcsorelys Ale House in the Village, Lucallis Pizza in Brooklyn, take in Knicks game at Madison Square Garden if you can (Stubhub or Craiglist for ticket...scalp if comfortable), Peter Lugers in Brooklyn for unreal steak, go for late lunch as dinner reservations are impossible. Take in Central Park, visit the Highline -a above ground pedestrial walk located downtown=a must/great NYC expericence. Also see Highline Ballroom for concerts. The Ed Sullivan Theater has stanby tickets for David Letterman Show at 3PM (?) on most weekdays. 30 Rockafeller Plaza has Saturday Night Live ...tought ticket ..but they do have other shows that are easier to get free tickets for ..if you are into that.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:23

Oh... & be prepared to walk a lot...the best way to see the city. But you should also take subway, taxi and a bus...just for the experience if nothing else. Pick up the NY Sunday Time as previosly mentioned ....and also look at the Village Voice ...paper or online.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:26

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Annex is very good!

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:32

I would suggest purchase of a Glock Model 19 with a laser sight. When he sees the red dot, it’s all over but the crying.

Heartbreaker with your 44>>>>

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:36

StonesTod
GravityBoy

Your image of the safety of NY is about 30 years out of date.

Date: February 21, 2012 19:41

71Tele
StonesTod
GravityBoy

it's gotten that bad, eh?

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:44

I haven't been to NYC yet...but when I do I hope to see a band at MSG, if only to re-live the Ya-Yas 1969 vibe smoking smiley

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:46

Never felt the slightest bit threatened in NYC! London is way worse (stabbed most probably)

Not sure about Stones things to do but for something different me and wife and daughter hired bikes to cycle around Central Park. That's a big park!

Oh and Parisians could give lessons in rudeness - New Yorkers weren't too bad just busy people who see tourists all day everyday

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 21, 2012 20:10

71Tele
StonesTod
GravityBoy

It's gotten that good. Greatest city in the world.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 21, 2012 20:21

Chrism13 nailed it! Good job! I love NYC, always feel safe there so don't worry! They're teasing you! You should pick up a copy of the Village Voice for sure; it lists concerts, shows, just general happenings about town. Go to the 1/2 price tix booth on Broadway to get tickets to a Broadway show cheap. ( Cheaper than regular price, that is). Be sure to see John Lennon's Strawberry Fields memorial in Central Park across from the Dakota on Central Park West. Don't be afraid to take cabs. That's my advice! For a few extra bucks, it's a lot faster than getting lost and walking around in circles. HAVE FUN!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 21, 2012 21:05

71Tele
71Tele
StonesTod
GravityBoy

It's gotten that good. Greatest city in the world.

New York is plenty safe unless you start acting stupid and wander alone at night in the wrong neighborhoods. Stay away from the housing projects and you'll be fine.

Tele hate to break it to ya but San Francisco beats NYC for the greatest City honor hands down. I mean you can actually hang in SF for more than a week without feeling like you need to get the hell out of there for a while. The smells from that place on a hot summer day ....well you probably know.

That's why most of the NYC residents in the know all have other houses upstate or in CT, Maine or even Florida. NYC is a GREAT city for entertainment and culture ....in small doses. peace

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: February 22, 2012 01:10

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU WHO TOOK TIME TO GIVE ME AND MY WIFE SOME GREAT IDEAS!
Guy

Posted by: johnypar ()
Date: February 22, 2012 01:20

steel driving hammer
GumbootCloggeroo
steel driving hammer
More Hot Rocks
Go to Toronto instead

Montreal.

In 1992 it was legal, there was a hotel and all...

In 1992, Bill Wyman was still in the Stones, at least officially. Same goes for communism in many countries.

So, it is legal or illegal nowadays? Would love to visitwinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 01:21 by johnypar.

Posted by: johnypar ()
Date: February 22, 2012 01:30

dcba
If you have ever been to Paris before tell us who's ruder : the New-Yorkers or the Parisians!
As a Parisian, I would say yes, we are ruder probably to the average tourist. But not on purpose. Far too many tourists, most of the local people are really polite, but they do not speak ENglish (as most of the tourist do).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 02:12 by johnypar.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 22, 2012 06:49

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 22, 2012 07:23

My goodness some fear mongers here, that are perhaps a bit too dainty for the road. NYC is the modern Rome of the world. It is a massive sea of humanity. Exciting, full on, and has a hum to it 24 hours a day. A wonderful traveling experience. Not cheap, but incredible. If you like food, NYC has it all, affordable, and great haute cuisine. Little Vietnam is amazing. China Town as well. Little Italy has some of the finest Italian restaurants in the country. Soho and The Village are great places for cafes and interesting shops and small independent movie houses. Oh, an Anthony Bourdain's French Bistro is wonderful. Bleeker Street records is a must for collectors and music buffs. Go to Ellis Island. The IBM art museum has one of the best collections of modern art in the world. The Whitney as well. Hit the Gugen as well. MOMA is incredible as well. If you have a sunny warmish day, stroll through Central Park, lay a blanket and have a picnic. And then hit the clubs for live music at night. Enjoy! But be prepared to lay out some cash. NYC is expensive!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home