Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
HAVE YOU BEEN TO AN ABORTED GIG !
Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: February 20, 2012 11:42

After reading a previous post by 'HerMajesty' I thought this may make an interesting topic,

I woke around 4.00 am on Sunday 16TH July 1995 and had a moment of madness,I was gonna drive 400 miles from Edinburgh to London to see the Stones at Wembley.No ticket - no accomodation,but hell who cares I was on my way.Got to Wembley around noon,managed to pick up a pitch ticket for face value,I was, in that was the main thing.

After a few beers decided to get in line, so bought 2 beers at a stall beside the Que's at the turnstiles, hands aloft with a beer in either hand I duly made my way to the front of the Que the other fans hopefully assuming I had left the line to get beers for a partner and I,Anway worked a treat!! I was at the front of the line.evreyone else being in good spirits did not seem to mind [has this ever worked for you ?]

Once in the Stadium got up to the front, and waited for the support The Black Crowes - thet were playing at the front of the Stones main stage and after about 4 numbers the the heavens opened up, so much so they had to abort, real pity as they were sounding Good!!.

Saw the Stones.. still no accomodation, decided it was a waste of time to even attempt to seek any close to the stadium, so I drove another 400 miles home.

So 800 miles later ,one aborted gig , saw the Stones,all in an impromptu 24 hours

Re: HAVE YOU BEEN TO AN ABORTED GIG !
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 20, 2012 12:07

Haven't got what a 'aborted gig' is? is it a cancelled gig or is the gig taking place and you are outside the arena? I've been on two of the latter with The boss in gothenburg and Neil Young and Crazy Horse in Stockholm...got all the music played and it was a party outside the arenas...sometimes greater outside than inside...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 20, 2012 12:09

I think that was the Sunday 16th July gig. I did the same thing,except I'd been to the previous night's show and intended to drive 250 miles home, but slept in the M1 services and drove back,picked up a face value (about £30 GA !) ticket.

Once decided to drive to Cardiff from Hull on the morning of the gig. My car sprung a water leak after 15 miles and I turned back. Ended up setting off really late in my wife's tiny vauxhall. I bought from a tout 5 mins before show time and came through the the turnstile as the intro music ended.Drove back after the show.

Actually I've done a few of those,but this is about aborted gigs, so another time.

sc uk

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 20, 2012 12:43

I am pro choice when it comes to aborting a gig. If an artist/group feels it is not right to have a gig, and if they feel it is not in the best interests of all involved, then it is the artist's right to abort a gig.

A couple of years back Springsteen aborted a gig here in KC because his cousin OD'ed and died in his hotel room the afternoon of a show. I understand he felt that the show should not go on, and he/they aborted the show that afternoon, 3 hours before the show, and I respect his right to make that choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 12:44 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: February 20, 2012 12:59

Come On
Haven't got what a 'aborted gig' is? is it a cancelled gig or is the gig taking place and you are outside the arena? I've been on two of the latter with The boss in gothenburg and Neil Young and Crazy Horse in Stockholm...got all the music played and it was a party outside the arenas...sometimes greater outside than inside...smiling smiley

What I meant was :- have you ever been to a gig that was actually started -then aborted / cancelled / postponed, for whatever reason.

Date: February 20, 2012 13:00

Max'sKansasCity
I am pro choice when it comes to aborting a gig. If an artist/group feels it is not right to have a gig, and if they feel it is not in the best interests of all involved, then it is the artist's right to abort a gig.

A couple of years back Springsteen aborted a gig here in KC because his cousin OD'ed and died in his hotel room the afternoon of a show. I understand he felt that the show should not go on, and he/they aborted the show that afternoon, 3 hours before the show, and I respect his right to make that choice.

100% agree.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 20, 2012 13:01

Max'sKansasCity

But we need to protect these unborn gigs, spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 20, 2012 13:17

But we need to protect these unborn gigs, spinning smiley sticking its tongue out[/quote]
Ket
Max'sKansasCity

But we need to protect these unborn gigs, spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
This is true, but now there may be a debate about when is a gig really a gig?,

Is it when they announce the gig?, or is it when tickets go on sale, or is it when you actually buy your ticket so it is a gig to you,, versus another person's gig?... or is it when the gig comes to town???? Is it when the gig's stage is set up? When is it really a gig?

Which brings up..... it is ok to give/sell your gig tickets to another person, transferring your gig ownership to another? What if that person is a tourist and they dont properly respect the gig? should you have just aborted the gig by tearing up the tickets? Does it now become a question for all of society (at least the people with an interst in the gig)? What if the new owner of the gig tickts is a "talker" or tourist or worse? (gasp!!... like a banker!)?

(We may have now offically entered the Seinfeld zone)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 13:18 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: February 20, 2012 13:18

Yeah..................Wembley...............Keith's cut finger............drove 200 miles then heard it was cancelled.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: February 20, 2012 13:20

My opinion...............

Cancelled = stopped before its started.

Aborted = stopped after its begun.

Postponed = date rescheduled

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 20, 2012 13:47

Dead cousin? That's no reason to cancel a gig. You have to have an immediate family member (spouse or child) or band member kick to cancel a gig. Mick went on after his Dad died in '06.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 20, 2012 13:54

Tonstone
Come On

What I meant was :- have you ever been to a gig that was actually started -then aborted / cancelled / postponed, for whatever reason.

Well then Johnny Winter just left after 20 minutes shouting: -You M....f...rs don't like rock'n'roll'...and that's because everybody was sitting down when he and the band were really rockin...he came back and finnished the show after three hours of hand-clapping from the 30 people that was left, and he gave us another 3 hours of rock'n'roll and we were dancing...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 20, 2012 14:09

Triumph at the Southampton Gaumont. Their first gig in the UK they said. Went on about 2 hours late and played for 20 minutes because of jet lag. Promised to spill their guts on the stage next time. Don't know if they ever came back and don't care.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: February 20, 2012 14:15

The Who at the Boston Garden in 1976. Great start. But something sounded a little wrong on the bottom end. Keith Moon fell over into the drum kit during the third song. They announced he had the "flu" and cancelled the gig, refunding the tickets. Years later I read he had taken a handful of pills someone offered.

Date: February 20, 2012 15:30

In Halifax, Canada in late 2006, the Stones cut the show short by one song. The rain and wind was roaring across the fields and I think the fans were a bit relieved as it was an icy wind blowing. I was up in the On-Stage area and was getting the full blast as I'm sure the Stones were from below where I was. Later Keith was quoted as saying it was one of their best shows. They were rocking with the storm.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 20, 2012 15:41

Ryan Adams at (i believe) Shepherds Bush Empire. Cut it short as he was pissed off with something/someone. When he's great he's magnificent but he's a moody litte whatnot. Should try working for a living

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 20, 2012 15:59

Stones Milano 1998. Drove 350KM just see an empty stadium. Bought a very nice bootleg shirt though, strangely the quality is better than most official ones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 20, 2012 16:01

Max'sKansasCity
Ket
Max'sKansasCity

This is true, but now there may be a debate about when is a gig really a gig?,

Is it when they announce the gig?, or is it when tickets go on sale, or is it when you actually buy your ticket so it is a gig to you,, versus another person's gig?... or is it when the gig comes to town???? Is it when the gig's stage is set up? When is it really a gig?

Which brings up..... it is ok to give/sell your gig tickets to another person, transferring your gig ownership to another? What if that person is a tourist and they dont properly respect the gig? should you have just aborted the gig by tearing up the tickets? Does it now become a question for all of society (at least the people with an interst in the gig)? What if the new owner of the gig tickts is a "talker" or tourist or worse? (gasp!!... like a banker!)?

(We may have now offically entered the Seinfeld zone)[/quote]

In that case, I'd say it is when the nipple makes its first appearance.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 20, 2012 16:09

The only concert I aborted was Elton John circa 1988. Venue was Reynolds Coliseum. To me the music was that bad. My girlfriend at the time had purchased the tickets. I guess she stayed for the remainder. We eventually broke up.

Good riddance.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: February 20, 2012 16:42

I was at the show The Black Crowes got rained off, although i wasn't that impressed by them despite being a big fan of the albums. I thought they got swallowed up in a large stadium to be honest.

No other aborted shows i can think off though i had a ticket for the cancelled 1990 Wembley gig and only found out it was off when i got the stadium.

Date: February 20, 2012 16:54

treaclefingers

close... but no

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 20, 2012 16:57

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers

close... but no

Yeah - seems indented

Date: February 20, 2012 18:42

A concert at The Palace in Hollywood. Tom Tom Club, Ramones and Debbie Harry. TTC and Ramones played but the fire marshall shut it down before Debbie came on. Then they kept us standing around for 45 mins before letting us out. Oh well, got to see the Ramones.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 20, 2012 19:12

Houston, SUmmer 1981 (80?): Simon and Garfunkel reunion tour. My cousin and I had waited months.... our first real concert...and it was cancelled the day of due to some threatened hurricane that never arrived.

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: February 20, 2012 22:37

Stones cancelled Bangkok in 2003 hrs before the show, Major Mick/Keith argument the day before, flying out of India? I showed up at the arena early afternoon to learn the news.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: February 20, 2012 23:15

Richard from Canada
In Halifax, Canada in late 2006, the Stones cut the show short by one song. The rain and wind was roaring across the fields and I think the fans were a bit relieved as it was an icy wind blowing. I was up in the On-Stage area and was getting the full blast as I'm sure the Stones were from below where I was. Later Keith was quoted as saying it was one of their best shows. They were rocking with the storm.

I was at that one and, time-wise, it sure seemed shorter than just missing one song. The weather was a bitch, for sure. Too bad it couldn't have blown Kanye West into the Atlantic, then cleared up for the Stones.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: February 21, 2012 02:12

San Joe, CA

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 21, 2012 02:23

almost, i was at the famous power failure gig in philly 89

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: February 21, 2012 02:24

Me too. (and I meant San Jose)

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 02:51

Sometime around '03 or '04 I was dating this girl who liked that band Evanescence, you know, the pop/goth band with that Amy Lee girl. I was really not looking forward to going to see them, but she really wanted to go. The day of the concert we hear on the radio that the show has been cancelled because Amy Lee has laryngitis, but they'll be coming back so you could either get a refund or a rain check. Later on that night Evanescence, complete with Amy Lee, was performing on Late Night With Conan O'Brien. Turned out they bailed to be on TV and gave a lame excuse that Amy was sick.

My girlfriend was pissed, and we got the refund because she no longer wanted to see them after that. I could possibly understand wanting to go on TV (though they had really blown up and weren't hurting for publicity, so it wasn't necessary for their career) but the lie was pretty lame. Like nobody would find out?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home