Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 35
Re: Keith Richards' autobiography Life - reviews and comments
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: October 26, 2010 19:31

"Please post your reviews and comments on the Keith Richards' autobiography Life here. Thanks!"

Well, to those who have the book or get it soon: let's hear it!

Btw: The review in the New York Times was quite good imo.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 26, 2010 21:09

They are going to talk about it on "de wereld draait door" right now

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 26, 2010 21:11

Leo Blokhuis says it's a 6 stars book..not 5 ...but 6
It's fantastic, he says

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 26, 2010 21:34

Recieved it today, due to having to work (it did cross my mind to throw a sicky and stay home and read all day) I only had chance to flick through a few photos and some odd snatches of texts. The writing looks ok to me - sure it's not shakespeare but as Rock biographies go it rates highly - and I've read a lot. I have to disagree with our German poster above, there are photos in there I've never seen before and I've just about seen most photo books etc for the last 35 years. I'm not going to say anymore as I haven't read it yet and wouldn't want to spoil it for those who haven't yet recieved there copies. I can only assume the translation to german @#$%& up somewhere (TBH German isn't a great language - very hard and not as poetic as English) I will comment more when I've turned the last page (which will be in about 2 days!

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: October 26, 2010 22:28

Harm
It's fantastic, he says

Leo = God

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 26, 2010 23:48

I wasn't planning on reading it myself. Everything I need or want to know about the man I get from listening to his records...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 26, 2010 23:55

He has a very interesting life. Aside from the music he has made, he has chosen to write this book.....I will definitely read it.

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: October 27, 2010 01:53

Keith's comments about Brian Jones' death were harsh. There was a coldness there that I find surprising as it has been over 40 years. I remember an interview I once read with Marianne Faithfull. She said that Keith loved Brian. Well, you couldn't tell it when reading about the death. Keith rehashes Thorogood's deathbed confession, but curiously doesn't even mention Tom Keylock.
Keith refers to Brian as a "whining son of a bi**h" when talking about his deaht. I always thought Keith was a better man than that..It's been over 40 years and he is 66 years old...Brian must have gotten under his skin big time......

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: October 27, 2010 02:53

Marie
Keith's comments about Brian Jones' death were harsh. There was a coldness there that I find surprising as it has been over 40 years. I remember an interview I once read with Marianne Faithfull. She said that Keith loved Brian. Well, you couldn't tell it when reading about the death. Keith rehashes Thorogood's deathbed confession, but curiously doesn't even mention Tom Keylock.
Keith refers to Brian as a "whining son of a bi**h" when talking about his deaht. I always thought Keith was a better man than that..It's been over 40 years and he is 66 years old...Brian must have gotten under his skin big time......
True. Keith continues to be the most unrelible source if you want to know anything about Brian. I had hoped for something real this time. But this book doesn't give us anything new about their true relation to each other, no dept or insight in the music that was made, no credit at all - it's just the same old bitter bashing as usual. A broken record more or less.

I feel sorry for Keith that he hasn't been able to move on after 40 years and just give it a break. It can't be healthy to hold that much pain whitin yourself for that long.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: October 27, 2010 03:14

I too feel it's weird he hasn't changed his point of view about Brian, after all these years...still saying he was an "@#$%&" and that. I was hoping that in this book he'd have a more mature opinion about the man and his death.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: October 27, 2010 03:56

Brazilian edition

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 27, 2010 04:13

Well Keith lived with Brian and had to deal with all his baggage, and when your "friend" is working out side deals to get paid more and better rooms that is a pretty good indication of a toxic relationship. Keith is just being honest and telling it like it is from his point of view and he must not have really liked the guy...

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: October 27, 2010 04:28

True, Brian did or wanted to get an extra five pounds. In the beginning, Brian was the one hustling for gigs and writing letters on the Stones behalf. Keith and Brian were close in the early days and Brian did have problems, that has been well documented...I think there is more to it than Keith simply not liking the guy. Unresolved issues maybe....

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 27, 2010 06:30

There must have been a serious problem between Keith and Brian as he did not even make it to his funeral. Perhaps it's a way of rationalising his guilt or responsibility for stealing Anita away from him; even though Brian treated her abominably and she deserved to be rescued, from a number of accounts, Brian was devastated. So he would have to demonise Brian.

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: October 27, 2010 06:39

does he still claim Muddy was painting the roof?

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: October 27, 2010 10:33

For the french readers, the book is available today in most of the main bookshops in Paris.
And in the other ones in France tomorrow or friday.

[www.placedeslibraires.fr]

Date: October 27, 2010 10:52

open-g
Strong? sounds quite fair to me.

...'Fair' IS strong, G.
Still waiting for the book... If the Customer Service @ Amazon.co.uk is anything to go by, I should have it today; anytime now.

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Date: October 27, 2010 11:06

Vocalion
Harm
It's fantastic, he says

Leo = God

No WAY... Not in this case. I like the guy a lot; he's an obvious 'all-round good egg', with some(!) good takes on (rock-)music in general. And he was genuinly enthusiastic about "LIFE"...
But: he also stated (implied) that the Stones on stage were/are nothing worthwile anymore since the early '70s- apart from, "maybe", he added, 1978... A statement like that is unacceptable for me. eye rolling smiley
If anyhow & -where, the Stones have remained vivid, authentic, creative, original, unique, and full of raw Soul right thére; ON STAGE... right up until 'now' (c.q. the most recent tour). Maybe not as consistent as they used to be, but that was never a strength of'em in the first place anyway.
Plus: your 'God' here admitted to be a much bigger Beatlesfan... Shoot him! smoking smiley

Overall: I think the 'interview' in De Wereld Draait Door really s*cked big time. No content; just loose (& stupid) babbles.

Date: October 27, 2010 11:09

StonesAustria
After about one hour and a half with this book (German edition) I cannot withhold any longer my deepest regrets to the RS fan community that this book ever happened.Its writing style is exceptionally bad, (...) The photos are all insignificant crap, there is perhaps not a single one that I had not seen before. The print is cheap, any editorial work unnoticeable. Just another book to rest on your shelf.
My advice: Save the money ...

Hey Mick, why do you bother reading the German edition anyway!?

Life... In My Hands
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 26, 2010 18:00

Gotta Give Amazon Credit... UPS just delivered my copy to my desk here in Knoxville, TN, USA. Now I've got to find a way to not get caught reading it at my desk for the rest of the day... Hmmm...

Only review I can give is on the inscription on the inside of the dust cover... In Keith's Handwriting.

"This is the Life.
Believe it or not
I haven't forgotten
any of it.

Thanks & praises
Keith Richards"

Inside the back cover are small paragraphs about Keith & James Fox. Why the need for a paragraph about the subject of the book? Can't quite figure that one out. Like the front dust cover idea though. I haven't seen that one before.

Happy reading to all. Can't wait to hear from everyone their opinions of Keith's "I haven't forgotten any of it." line.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Re: Life... In My Hands
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 26, 2010 18:16

Can't see that on the UK cover. Doh!

Date: October 26, 2010 18:19

mr_dja
Can't wait to hear from everyone their opinions of Keith's "I haven't forgotten any of it." line.

It's like I tell my wife sometimes: "Honey, you have the most amazing memory of things that never happened!"

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 26, 2010 18:57

got it too this morning!
it's a weapon....

Date: October 26, 2010 19:22

"In hand" in Austin - my God, the photos!!!!!!
Thanks Amazon for finally being "on time."
C

Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: October 26, 2010 19:26

I got "LIFE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 26, 2010 19:46

Bastards at Waterstones havent got their consignment in yet. And I'd pre-ordered it.

Grrrrrr.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 26, 2010 19:48

I'm annoyed. Ordered the hardcopy that will be shipped in 2 days according to Amazon and nowhere I can download the ebook (it's all limited to the US, even on the my Kindle).

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 26, 2010 21:11

Braincapers
Can't see that on the UK cover. Doh!

Wait a minute yes I can. Double Doh!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 27, 2010 00:31

Mine's arrived - thanks Amazon! You won't be hearing from me for a while until I've read it...

Posted by: nkt44 ()
Date: October 27, 2010 01:50

I haven't got mine yet! And I also pre-ordered on Amazon confused smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home