Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435
Current Page: 35 of 35
Re: Keith Richards' autobiography Life - reviews and comments
Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 23, 2011 06:01

bmuseed
-never hesitated to jump into a fight to defend a friend or himself

isn't that more like the behavior of the pack, not the "Alpha"?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 23, 2011 10:46

bmuseed
I have read thru some of the comments on the site today...and I'm surprised. A lot of opinionated crybabies..
Now from someone who knew and worked with Keith for 7 years a few comments..first I saw a lot of Alpha comments and opinions--Keith is definitely an Alpha male--never hesitated to jump into a fight to defend a friend or himself--just watch him in GIMME SHELTER--does he act a like a weak man?
I thought the fans would love how he tells them how he created his music. I actually learned why they didn't like to play Satisfaction on the earlier tours..
I wondered how he could possibly go into all the details of his life since most of the people that were on the '69 tour with us have done their own books on just the ONE tour..his life if detailed would have to be like the
Encyclopedia Britannica. I figure he had to treat his life like one of those time line charts.. different eras as opposed to years..and then the other fact might be that less names less possibility of lawsuits..

Thanks Ron. Good to have you back.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: March 24, 2011 20:40

sweetcharmedlife
thewatchman
bmuseed
I have read thru some of the comments on the site today...and I'm surprised. A lot of opinionated crybabies..
Now from someone who knew and worked with Keith for 7 years a few comments..first I saw a lot of Alpha comments and opinions--Keith is definitely an Alpha male--never hesitated to jump into a fight to defend a friend or himself--just watch him in GIMME SHELTER--does he act a like a weak man?
I thought the fans would love how he tells them how he created his music. I actually learned why they didn't like to play Satisfaction on the earlier tours..
I wondered how he could possibly go into all the details of his life since most of the people that were on the '69 tour with us have done their own books on just the ONE tour..his life if detailed would have to be like the
Encyclopedia Britannica. I figure he had to treat his life like one of those time line charts.. different eras as opposed to years..and then the other fact might be that less names less possibility of lawsuits..

I applaud you, Sir. Every once in a while someone appears on these types of forums that actually know what the hell they are talking about....very refreshing.
He may be. You certainly are not.

Find someone else to stalk.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 24, 2011 21:05

bmuseed
thumbs up

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 20, 2011 20:15

As many of you might have noticed, I have returned to posting on here after many, many months away. And actually, it's because of this book, which I'm reading currently. I thought my time with the Stones was done, but this book actually has me listening to them again, and chronoligically as the book progresses. I'm up to Emotional Rescue, and really, I'm coming at them in a whole new light now. It's rather intriguing...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 20, 2011 20:25

VoodooLounge13
As many of you might have noticed, I have returned to posting on here after many, many months away. And actually, it's because of this book, which I'm reading currently. I thought my time with the Stones was done, but this book actually has me listening to them again, and chronoligically as the book progresses. I'm up to Emotional Rescue, and really, I'm coming at them in a whole new light now. It's rather intriguing...

What? You went away for several months without starting a goodbye-thread ?
This is how it should be done: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 20, 2011 20:53

It took me several months to read the book as well. But I went ahead and finished it anyway.winking smiley

Date: April 20, 2011 21:51

sweetcharmedlife
finished it anyway.winking smiley

And did you like it ?

-------------------

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 20, 2011 22:30

Rolling Hansie
sweetcharmedlife
finished it anyway.winking smiley

And did you like it ?
It was just ok Hansie.moody smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 21, 2011 00:31

VoodooLounge13
As many of you might have noticed

or not

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 21, 2011 00:39

StonesTod
VoodooLounge13
As many of you might have noticed

or not

you're mean, Tod. But I can't help it - it's funny

Date: April 21, 2011 01:21

sweetcharmedlife
It was just ok Hansie

OK, that's better than it was a waste of time smiling smiley

-------------------

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 21, 2011 15:30

Erik_Snow
VoodooLounge13

Well, Erik, I tend to do things unnoticed. I'm not one to draw attention to myself, so I don't need the big fanfare send off smiling smiley And Tod, it's nice to see somethings just never change.....

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 21, 2011 19:25

bmuseed

"Opinionated crybabies"? Please. What are you talking about?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 21, 2011 20:47

VoodooLounge13
Erik_Snow
VoodooLounge13

Well, Erik, I tend to do things unnoticed. I'm not one to draw attention to myself, so I don't need the big fanfare send off smiling smiley And Tod, it's nice to see somethings just never change.....

you never know. i'll make a concerted effort to notice the next time you're gone for several months. when is that again?

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 21, 2011 22:07

I'm at CD nr 14...does it get any good? I'm just listening to a parody.... I know why MJ doesn't want to write one now... nothing intresting to tell

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 22, 2011 01:18

stones78
bmuseed

"Opinionated crybabies"? Please. What are you talking about?

Opinionated, as in, having an opinion that disagrees with his own. Rather ironic in that I think that would actually make him 'opinionated'.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 10, 2011 18:04

Vote for Life: [www.keithrichards.com]

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: May 25, 2011 08:32

Keef's book is Audiobook of the year 2011.

Book also won Biography category

Audies 2011

The Audio Publishers Association

Posted by: geoffc ()
Date: August 30, 2011 22:02

Never meet your heroes

I don’t read many celebrity autobiographies, but as a fan since the early days, I had to finally read Keith’s. I had always bought into the ‘loveable rogue’ image, but I have now downgraded that to just ‘rogue’.

I found the book disappointing on two levels – as a book, there were factual errors, contradictions, repetitions and typos, and given that the subject and the writer are both English, what’s with all the American spellings?

As a person, I thought Keith came across a small-minded, hypocritical, and after all these years, still insecure. He tells us all about Brian’s bullying ways, but it seems that Keith realised early in his career that wealth and fame allowed him to get away with anything, and anyone who crosses him is likely to be threatened with a gun or a knife or even a guitar. He describes himself in several places as an alpha male, almost as if he was trying to convince himself.

I also thought he rather over-estimated the social impact of the Stones – I laughed out loud at the paragraph where he suggests that the Stones were not only responsible for the soundtrack to the protest movements of the sixties (on the basis of Street Fighting Man?), but also as a result of their misogynistic songs of the period, somehow gave rise to the feminist movement!

I was also disappointed by his dismissive attitude to Bill – they played together for thirty years, but there is not a word (good or bad) about what his playing brought to the band. And to describe his restaurant as a fish-and-chip shop is just ridiculous.

He is supposed to have a good sense of humour, but there is little evidence of it in the book. I was surprised to learn that Marlon went to Hill House, one of the poshest schools in London – did Keith and Anita ever turn up for Parents’ Evening? There might have been an amusing anecdote there….

I was, however, impressed by his honesty, and the book is certainly a ‘warts and all’ reflection on his life. I was surprised he included the story about his refusal to start a concert until a fresh cottage pie had been provided – that sort of behaviour is what we expect from prima donnas like Elton John.

Having read the book, I suspect that the real issue between him and Mick is that Mick says ‘no’ to him, and doesn’t back down, unlike just about everybody else. However, I doubt if there is anything in the book that will have damaged their relationship further, and if they do tour again next year, I will be there - but I will certainly be looking at Keith in a rather different light.

In the end, I think Mick got it right a few years ago, when he said in an interview about his knighthood, ‘Keith is not a happy person’.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 30, 2011 22:05

geoffc
In the end, I think Mick got it right a few years ago, when he said in an interview about his knighthood, ‘Keith is not a happy person’.

thumbs up

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: August 31, 2011 06:21

And that is the secret behind Life.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 31, 2011 19:56

Has sold a million copies - congratulations

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: mahituna ()
Date: April 11, 2013 08:40

One thing I find really funny is Keith's take on Mick taking control of the band. Your kidding Keith, right? Lets see now, you where messed up on drugs, late for appointments, nodding off after being up for days and you can't figure out why Mick took control of the band. Dude!!! at the time you couldn't lead a group of boy scouts to a picnic table. You really should be thanking the guy for taking control because if it was left up to you the Stones would have been finished by 1980.

Date: April 11, 2013 09:32

There are indeed many ways of taking control.

I thought Keith was more critical of how Mick responded when he got better, and wanted to "share the burden". That's an other matter than what you described, imo.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 11, 2013 10:25

DandelionPowderman

I thought Keith was more critical of how Mick responded when he got better, and wanted to "share the burden". That's an other matter than what you described, imo.

It is interesting that this is about the only thing Jagger has commented about the content of the book. That Keith wanted to have more control of the band during the 80's. That's the "message" Jagger sounded like having of the book, or what he thought as the central point of the book (for him).

If that was news to him, he sounded like not noticing it at the time. Funny that for us who have listened Keith's comments during the years, we already knew that "complaint". Jagger now sounds like not even taking Keith and his demands seriously at the time , but more like seen him just a pain the ass (which goes very well what Keith says there, like "shut up, Keith", etc.).

But I don't know - just to think Jagger's point of view. Yeah, Keith was no longer a junkie, but is it an aggressive, childish drunk much better to take seriously and with whom to share the burden of responsibilities? Especially who have notably lost much of his creativity and having turned to a musical conservatist?

What I find also almost surprising that Keith never seem to have noticed that perhaps his own behavior and demands for "sharing the burden", as he sees that, might have something to do that Mick didn't felt happy any longer to work him, and instead put his mind to solo career, which for Keith sounded like a betrayal?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-11 10:27 by Doxa.

Date: April 11, 2013 11:32

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

It is interesting that this is about the only thing Jagger has commented about the content of the book. That Keith wanted to have more control of the band during the 80's. That's the "message" Jagger sounded like having of the book, or what he thought as the central point of the book (for him).

If that was news to him, he sounded like not noticing it at the time. Funny that for us who have listened Keith's comments during the years, we already knew that "complaint". Jagger now sounds like not even taking Keith and his demands seriously at the time , but more like seen him just a pain the ass (which goes very well what Keith says there, like "shut up, Keith", etc.).

But I don't know - just to think Jagger's point of view. Yeah, Keith was no longer a junkie, but is it an aggressive, childish drunk much better to take seriously and with whom to share the burden of responsibilities? Especially who have notably lost much of his creativity and having turned to a musical conservatist?

What I find also almost surprising that Keith never seem to have noticed that perhaps his own behavior and demands for "sharing the burden", as he sees that, might have something to do that Mick didn't felt happy any longer to work him, and instead put his mind to solo career, which for Keith sounded like a betrayal?

- Doxa

I think Mick noticed the many rows and quarrels during the recording of Emotional Rescue and Undercover - that really were about control - he's just playing for the gallery here grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435
Current Page: 35 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home