Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith on Mick in his book
Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: October 20, 2010 16:35

Mick turned out to be the most amazing harp player. I’d put him up there with the best in the world, on a good night. Everything else we know he can do — he’s a great showman — but, to a musician, Mick Jagger is a great harp player. I find it hard to listen to him without awe.

Is there a higher compliment? Way to go Keith!

Re: Keith on Mick in his book
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 20, 2010 16:51

The problem is it's the same compliment we've all heard and read for eons. Certainly not news. And if this is the only compliment Keith can come up with about Mick...woe is Keith. One would think that Keith would thank Mick for showing him not only the riffage to Brown Sugar but how to play it.

Funny how some of the best Stones songs are tunes Keith actually had nothing to do with the nucleus of.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: October 20, 2010 16:56

Keith have always these kind of reference. IN the past he said Charlie was the only drummer he can play with, and after the winos, he said Charlie and Steve Jordan are the only drummers he can play with.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 20, 2010 17:03

jjflash73
Mick turned out to be the most amazing harp player. I’d put him up there with the best in the world, on a good night. Everything else we know he can do — he’s a great showman — but, to a musician, Mick Jagger is a great harp player. I find it hard to listen to him without awe.

According to Keith, white drummers don't swing, with the exception of Charlie.confused smiley

Here another harp player, even more amazing as far as rock is concerned..(imo)

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 20, 2010 17:04

Only 2 drummers after 50 years...Keith doesn't like change? ha..

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 20, 2010 18:19

skipstone
Funny how some of the best Stones songs are tunes Keith actually had nothing to do with the nucleus of.

Perhaps some.
But when you line them up next to the pure Keith contributions AND when you look at how the two see good music differently when they go solo....

Brown Sugar aside (yay Mick) I gotta put my backing behind Keith as a far more interesting music source.

After all was said and done I think songs like Brown Sugar or JJF had a really scary chance of ending up like Monkey Grip Glue or Hard Woman if Keith hadn't run a Telecaster through 'em.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 20, 2010 21:03

jjflash73

thumbs up

Keith pays Mick a compliment in his book. Maybe this thread will have about 5 pages of comments, too.

Then again, maybe it wont!

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: October 20, 2010 22:47

Gazza, hard to read if you are expressing sarcasm however thats how I read it. Maybe you hadn't noticed but the past weeks news in regards to Keith's book have completely focused on Keiths negative words on Mick. I read something positive and wanted to share.

I guess 5 pages of good comments and posts would be a bad thing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-20 22:48 by jjflash73.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 20, 2010 22:53

Munichhilton

Perhaps some.
But when you line them up next to the pure Keith contributions AND when you look at how the two see good music differently when they go solo....

Brown Sugar aside (yay Mick) I gotta put my backing behind Keith as a far more interesting music source.

After all was said and done I think songs like Brown Sugar or JJF had a really scary chance of ending up like Monkey Grip Glue or Hard Woman if Keith hadn't run a Telecaster through 'em.

Moonlight Mile, Winter, most of GHS, IORR, B&B and Some Girls.
And I will say that in spite of the horror that was "SHe's the Boss", "Primitive Cool" and er..."Dogshit in the Doorway"..."Wandering Spirit" rocked harder than anything the Stones had done or have done since "Undercover".
I loved Keith's solo albums because they were essentially Keith riffing, with two or three gems like his take on Al Green, "Make No Mistake", which I think is Keith's latter day masterpiece. But even on the weaker, ball-ess solo albums, Mick has written some classics: "Out of Focus", "Too Far Gone", "Don't Call me UP", ""Blind Leading the Blind" - these songs are downright elegiac, but they unfortunately went under the radar because they were 'Solo Mick'. Some great rockers in the bunch too: "Put Me in the Trash", "Mother of a Man" spring to mind. Keith without Mick is like a great jam. Withouth Keith, Mick often lacks muscle and grit. But Mick writes songs. That's not a criticism of Keith, just the difference, the other side of the coin: Keith is the engine, the muscle, sweat and funk behind the Stones music, but Mick provides authority, swagger, context, color and depth to the palate. It just irks me when Keef fans perpetuate the myth that its all about Keith. Its not and its not all about Mick either. Thats why they're The Glimmer Twins."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-20 23:03 by stupidguy2.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home