Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Innovations made famous by The Stones
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 20, 2010 15:34

Come On
ghostryder13
were they the first to form their own record company and become a business?

What is APPLE?

The most reliable and user friendly computer in the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-20 15:36 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 20, 2010 16:23

Microphone-singer?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 20, 2010 16:30

Nankering

the basic nanker:

the politically correct nanker:

the hidden nanker:

More challenging nanker:

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-20 16:43 by Doxa.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 20, 2010 16:44

still ill
Gazza
hot stuff
They invented the internet...ha.

I think---Sex, Drugs and Rock and roll!!

They were the first act to have a concert broadcast on the internet - in 1994.

Also, the first band to use corporate sponsorship - in 1981 (Jovan, I think)

The only act to have number one albums in five different decades. They topped the charts in the UK in every decade since the 60s - and had ABB sold 11 more copies in it's first week in 2002, theyd have had chart toppers in SIX decades.

Fairly sure that Mccartneys Run Devil Run promo show at the Cavern was the first in 1999,if it can be called a legit gig that is.

See how 1999 is five years AFTER 1994?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 20, 2010 17:02

The Stones were the 1st Band to have a movie all in Quadraphonic Sound with their movie "ladies and GENTS The Rolling Stones!"

I remember it was all the talk when they released it to the movie houses and it was also another reason why it was played in so few theaters at the time...Most movie theaters didn't have the sound systems to be even able to play the movie in Quad sound..

Also the Stones at the Max---Was the 1st rock concert to ever be filmed in Imax...I saw it in Phily years ago..It was very cool..

Anyway both were great things to see at the time...Funny how they talked about Quadraphonic sound and how far music had come today..They be shocked now how advanced music has changes...(i think the sound was better back then)..

Date: October 20, 2010 17:51

The first band to not take a hint?

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: October 20, 2010 21:44

the first band without the name on their first record (uk). 1964

the were the first british band using a "marimba" for -under my thumb-.1966

the first band using a 3D design for the record sleeve (satanic majesties). 1967

the first british band using a "prepared piano" (famous at this time by john cage in the contemporary music) as intro for 2000 light years. 1967

the first band publishing a nearly "unplugged album" (long time before mtv-unplugged & so on) as a regular studio one. beggars banquet 1968

the first band with an own mobile studio-truck. 1971

the first band doing "home-recording" in the basement & in the end it is one of the best rock records ever. exile 1972

the first band with a "web vote" for a song. B2B 1997

the first band using a stage in form of their trademark logo. the tongue. superbowl 2006

comments please! :-)

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 20, 2010 22:01

FoolToCry
the first band without the name on their first record (uk). 1964

the were the first british band using a "marimba" for -under my thumb-.1966

the first band using a 3D design for the record sleeve (satanic majesties). 1967

the first british band using a "prepared piano" (famous at this time by john cage in the contemporary music) as intro for 2000 light years. 1967

the first band publishing a nearly "unplugged album" (long time before mtv-unplugged & so on) as a regular studio one. beggars banquet 1968

the first band with an own mobile studio-truck. 1971

the first band doing "home-recording" in the basement & in the end it is one of the best rock records ever. exile 1972

the first band with a "web vote" for a song. B2B 1997

the first band using a stage in form of their trademark logo. the tongue. superbowl 2006

FoolToCry..Good one..yea'..smoking smiley

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: October 20, 2010 22:16

the rolling stones were the first band to feature mick jagger, keith richards, charlie watts, brian jones, and bill wyman in a band called "the rolling stones"

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: October 20, 2010 22:22

Wasn't the stage lightning designed by Chip Monck used in the STP the first of its kind? Apparently it was "a convoluted mess and major embarrassment".

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 21, 2010 00:30

24FPS
One of the first bands or maybe THE first band to incorporate a logo. The Tongue!
- More Hot Rock

Doesn't the Apple logo count? (1968)

I ment a logo that represents the band not a record label. Logos for record labels have been around sice the beginning like the RCA Victor dog.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 21, 2010 00:33

ghostryder13

I beleive that The Moody Blues started Threshold records before the Beatles had Apple.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 21, 2010 00:41

>the first band publishing a nearly "unplugged album" (long time before mtv-unplugged & so on) as a regular studio one. beggars banquet 1968

The first band to nearly do something? Thats a good one!

>the first band doing "home-recording" in the basement & in the end it is one of the best rock records ever. exile 1972

What about Bob Dylan & The Band - The Basement Tapes. recorded 1967. The clue is in the title. That said, I seriously doubt they were the first act to record in a house either. How can anyone prove who was first?

Whilst they've been pretty innovative down the years, on reading this thread, I actually think some fans believe that the Rolling Stones invented the wheel and electricity.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 21, 2010 00:54

They were the first Band to include a thermographic poster in their new record...

...and they were also the last Band to include a thermographic poster in their new record !

I'm still wonderin' why >grinning smiley<

HMN

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: October 21, 2010 01:13

FoolToCry

Ummm, Dylan's early albums were all 'unplugged'. And I'm sure that there were other folkies before him that did all acoustic albums as well.

And the 'electric' songs on Beggars Banquet outnumber the acoustic ones.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 21, 2010 02:33

The Stones were the first band to glamorize the Union Jack flag..

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: October 21, 2010 02:38

skipstone
still ill
Gazza
hot stuff
They invented the internet...ha.

I think---Sex, Drugs and Rock and roll!!

They were the first act to have a concert broadcast on the internet - in 1994.

Also, the first band to use corporate sponsorship - in 1981 (Jovan, I think)

The only act to have number one albums in five different decades. They topped the charts in the UK in every decade since the 60s - and had ABB sold 11 more copies in it's first week in 2002, theyd have had chart toppers in SIX decades.

Fairly sure that Mccartneys Run Devil Run promo show at the Cavern was the first in 1999,if it can be called a legit gig that is.

See how 1999 is five years AFTER 1994?

I kind of misread it to be honest,though i was unaware the Stones had done a webcast in 1994 anyway.

Date: October 21, 2010 02:44

colonial
The Stones were the first band to glamorize the Union Jack flag..

Now youre taking the piss. When did they ever do this?

And the first?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-21 02:45 by Gazza.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: October 21, 2010 02:46

More Hot Rocks
24FPS
One of the first bands or maybe THE first band to incorporate a logo. The Tongue!
- More Hot Rock

Doesn't the Apple logo count? (1968)

I ment a logo that represents the band not a record label. Logos for record labels have been around sice the beginning like the RCA Victor dog.

Nope, that would be The Grateful Dead 1969. Stones tongue was 1970-1971

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-21 02:47 by Bingo.

Date: October 21, 2010 03:04

The Apple logo represented more than the record label.

Dont know if it was the first, but this one predates the Dead, Stones and Beatles ones..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-21 03:10 by Gazza.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: October 21, 2010 07:29

Come On
ghostryder13

What is APPLE?
duh thanks for reminding me about apple. i feel stupid lol

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 21, 2010 14:49

Keefan
I think Keith was the first person to install a humbucker into the neck position on a telecaster (?)

Nope, a popular thing to do among country players in the late 60's. And when Fender released the Custom and Deluxe Tele in early '72, Keith's Tele's still had the single coil in the neck position. History now has it that Keith popularized it and triggered Fender to provide a Tele with a bucker in the neck, but this history isn't true.

Mathijs

Date: October 21, 2010 16:42

Mathijs
Keefan
I think Keith was the first person to install a humbucker into the neck position on a telecaster (?)

Nope, a popular thing to do among country players in the late 60's. And when Fender released the Custom and Deluxe Tele in early '72, Keith's Tele's still had the single coil in the neck position. History now has it that Keith popularized it and triggered Fender to provide a Tele with a bucker in the neck, but this history isn't true.

Mathijs

thanks for that info Mathjis. I read somewhere that Fender issued the Custom & Deluxe Teles due to Keef's influence, but I wasn't sure about that.

I'm surprised to hear that country players were doing that, thought they usually stayed on the bridge pick up.

Date: October 21, 2010 16:56

FoolToCry

No way. First off, the "unplugged" thing is just STUPID. Secondly, a lot of bands/artists before the Stones used "nearly" all acoustic guitars for a "regular" studio album. That whole thing is just not really any kind of inventive trip.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: October 21, 2010 17:28

so far nothing yet then ?

what about glitter/glam rock , first heard in parachute woman , years before it became popular

harmonized guitarparts a la brian may (can you hear the music, during "love is a mistery.." ) before queens first album ?

scraping the bottom now , i know

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: October 21, 2010 17:45

looking back at all these messages and you start to realize that the stones weren't really all that innovative after all.

Date: October 21, 2010 17:49

straycatblues73

what about glitter/glam rock , first heard in parachute woman , years before it became popular

harmonized guitarparts a la brian may (can you hear the music, during "love is a mistery.." ) before queens first album ?

What is so glam rock about 'Parachute Woman'? Its a great song, but doesn't sound very 'glam' to me. The origins of glam rock are debatable, some say it started with T.Rex, some say Bowie, some say Alice Cooper, etc.

The Stones were not the first to play harmonized guitar parts; The Allman Bros. were doing it earlier that the Stones did it.

The Stones did have the first mobile studio truck, among some other things.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 21, 2010 18:02

The first one to smoke illegally on stage in UK (Keith)

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: October 21, 2010 18:39

straycatblues73

I've often wondered about that particular sound on this track . You're right ! It sounds like the Brian May . I wonder if Mick Taylor came up with it . How do they get this cool sound ?

Posted by: Layladylay ()
Date: October 21, 2010 19:43

The first band brought to a label recording contract (thanks to George) by members of The Beatles (James Taylor, Badfinger, Ravi Shankar and others eventally followed) and the first to be managed by The Beatles staff. Andrew did PR for them out of Epstein's company then jumped to Stones manager with a killer PR strategy making them also the first big hit band on pop charts to publicize themselves in opposition as "bad" boys. Up to then labels did everything they could to keep any actual "bad" behavior away from shiny clean pop images. . . ie... No teen mag features like: Dion and The Belmonts Talk Heroin! Is The Wanderer A Homo?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home