Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

GEORGIA MAY JAGGER: THE INTERVIEW
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 16, 2010 20:56

GEORGIA MAY JAGGER: THE INTERVIEW

By CHRISTINE LENNON
Who would have guessed, back in the anything-goes years when Jerry Hall was carousing with Grace Jones in Paris and busy posing for Helmut Newton, that she would turn out to be such a rocking mother? But the living, breathing proof of her outstanding parenting skills is sitting right in front of me, eating a chicken Caesar salad at a restaurant near the Los Angeles home of her half sister Karis Jagger, whom she is visiting.

"My mum is actually really wholesome,"" says Georgia May Jagger, 18, the third of four children to come out of the 21-year union between Hall and Mick Jagger, one of the original (and arguably the most glamorous) supermodel/rock star pairings. Wholesome may not be the first word that comes to mind when describing Hall, but Georgia insists it's the case. "She remembers everything because she didn't take drugs like everyone else," she says. "She'll see a black-and-white picture taken 40 years ago and say, ‘I was wearing a red dress and gold eye shadow.' It's incredible."

The Texas-born Hall has clearly instilled a healthy dose of Southern charm in her daughter, who is relentlessly polite, well spoken, and even a little shy. No It-model antics here. In fact, in her white Twenty8Twelve sundress and blue sandals, she seems more like the photography student she'll be when she starts classes at New York's School of Visual Arts in a week. The only clue that she has joined the family business is her face, an outrageous mix of her father's wildly proportioned mouth and wide-set eyes and her mother's high cheekbones and long golden hair. If those features haven't been burned into your memory yet, they will be soon. In the past year, Georgia has closed the runway show for Chanel's resort collection, landed a three-year contract with Hudson Jeans, shot a campaign for Rimmel London cosmetics, and been named Model of the Year by the British Fashion Council.

But right now, Georgia is adjusting to life away from her mother's London home, which she just moved out of a week ago. "My mum hasn't been to New York for so long, but she used to live there in the '80s. So when she found out I was moving to Alphabet City, she freaked out," she says, laughing.

Georgia was nervous about embarking on her own, despite a life well-traveled on Rolling Stones tours. "When I was younger, I'd fall asleep on the plane after a show and wake up in a different city," she remembers.

This time, it's just her. "I thought I was going to be alone, but when I got to New York and saw my sister Lizzy, I was like, It's going to be okay." The two are more like best friends despite their age difference. (Elizabeth, who has been modeling for a decade, is 26.) "My mum used to dress us in matching clothes, and we're seven years apart." Georgia laughs. "I'm guessing it was pretty horrible for my sister."

Family is supremely important for Georgia, whose siblings also include James, 25, a fledgling actor and the bass player for the metal band Turbogeist, and younger brother Gabriel, 12, who's back home in London. Karis, 39, Jagger's eldest daughter, with writer Marsha Hunt, is a married mother of two who works in film in Los Angeles.

"Karis is like the star of the family because she went to Yale," says Georgia. The seven Jagger offspring, including jewelry designer and socialite Jade (Bianca Jagger is her mother) and the youngest of the bunch, Lucas (the son of Brazilian model Luciana Morad), often get together with Jagger and his longtime girlfriend, designer L'Wren Scott, for New Year's Eve in Mustique and then spend time together over the summer. Growing up, "when he was away and I was at school, we didn't see each other for a long time," says Georgia, who was seven when her father and Hall split. "Even when my parents were together, they both had to travel and work, and it wasn't like they had nine-to-five jobs. In that way, it wasn't a normal family life. We'd go and stay for a few weeks with Dad on tour and bring a tutor with us."

For Lizzy, Georgia, and Theodora and Alexandra, the daughters of Patti Hansen and Keith Richards, tours were the ultimate summer camp. "They were family guys," she says of Jagger, Richards, Ronnie Wood, and Charlie Watts. (This wasn't the '60s, after all.) The kids spent their summers packing up dressing rooms and tossing paper airplanes from the top of hotels around the world. "We'd get up to a bit of mischief. We'd order funny food and send it to people who were picky about what they ate on tour, like snails or brains," she says, giggling. "They used to give us jobs. Rallying people to wake up in the morning or for makeup was a popular job for the little girls."

Over the years, pieces from her father's wardrobe have made their way into Georgia's closet. "But just '60s and '70s stuff," she clarifies. "The newer stuff Dad still owns." And those famous stage costumes? "It looks iconic in pictures, but up close, they're terrible, covered in plastic beads meant to look like rhinestones. My dad has more sparkly stuff than most men."

He's also not as tough as some fathers might be, Georgia says, even when it comes to boys. "My dad's not a very intimidating father figure," she explains. For the last two years, she's been seeing Django James Stewart, the musician son of Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics. "Our parents know each other. My dad's cool with that kind of stuff," she says. "He always wanted me to do my best. I'm quite dyslexic in school. My dad let me figure out what I wanted to do on my own. My parents never really lecture me," continues Georgia, who clearly looks up to their example.

Hall recently released a book of photographs in the U.K. from her four-decade career, which serves as a great source ofinspiration to her daughter. "When Mum was first modeling, it was all about that Thierry Mugler woman with the tiny waist and the giant ass. They used to pad their hips. I think it's much sexier," she argues. "Lizzy and my dad are naturally skinny. I model jeans. You need a bum for those."

Her discreetly topless ads for the Hudson line didn't shock her parents. "My mum did a lot of very provocative work with Helmut Newton. She understands," notes Georgia. "It is pretty crazy, though. I didn't think that it was going to be on giant billboards everywhere. I'm sort of like, Oh, God!"

Georgia's recently expanded her role by becoming a designer, with her Hudson by Georgia May Jagger line set to launch in March 2011. Her design is influenced by "the men's Wranglers my mum used to wear. And I have to say Guns N' Roses really inspired them as well." That said, "My dad's supportive of all my endeavors," she says, like a good daughter. "When I was a kid, I wanted to be a tightrope walker and a marine biologist, and I think my parents wouldn't be surprised if I did all of those things too."

Re: GEORGIA MAY JAGGER: THE INTERVIEW
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 16, 2010 22:36

Georgia May Jagger, Mick Jagger's youngest daughter, details her family life
October 15th, 2010 11:29 am ET

Georgia May Jagger, is speaking out about what it’s like to have Mick Jagger as her father. Georgia May, who is Mick’s youngest daughter, is one of the four children whom Mick has with his former common-law wife Jerry Hall. In the November 2010 issue of Harper’s Bazaar, Georgia May says in an interview: "My dad's not a very intimidating father figure."

Georgia May, 18, is following in her mother’s footsteps by becoming a model. Mick and Jerry’s other daughter, 26-year-old Lizzie, also has experience in modeling, but Georgia May is the Jagger daughter who seems to be going the furthest in the fashion industry. Georgia May, who appears in a photo spread and on the subscriber cover for the November 2010 Harper’s Bazaar issue, has snagged ad campaigns for Louis Vuitton, Rimmel London and Hudson Jeans.

Georgia May (who has been named Model of the Year by the British Fashion Council) also has a deal with Hudson to start her own line of jeans, which she says was inspired by Guns’ N Roses and the men’s Wrangler jeans that her mother used to wear. Hudson by Georgia May Jagger is set to launch in March 2011.

When it comes to dating, Georgia May says that dad Mick is very supportive. Her current boyfriend is musician Django Stewart, the son of Eurythmics co-founder Dave Stewart. "Our parents know each other," Georgia May tells Harper’s Bazaar. "My dad's cool with that kind of stuff. He always wanted me to do my best. I'm quite dyslexic in school. My dad let me figure out what I wanted to do on my own. My parents never really lecture me."

Even though her parents broke up in 1999 after more than 20 years as a couple, Georgia May says that Mick remains close to all of his seven kids. He has four kids with Jerry: daughters Georgia May and Lizzie and sons James, a 25-year-old aspiring actor/musician; and Gabriel, who turns 13 on December 9, 2010. The Rolling Stones front man’s other children are daughter Karis (with former girlfriend Marsha Hunt), who works in film and turns 40 on November 4, 2010; daughter Jade (with ex-wife Bianca Jagger), a jewelry designer/socialite who turns 39 on October 21, 2010; and 11-year-old son Lucas (with former mistress Luciana Morad).

Georgia May says that the Jagger children often spend New Year’s Eve in Mustique with Jagger and his longtime girlfriend, fashion designer L’Wren Scott.

Mick’s youngest daughter also gives insight into what it was like to go on tour as a child of a Rolling Stone: "When I was younger, I'd fall asleep on the plane after a show and wake up in a different city … We'd go and stay for a few weeks with Dad on tour and bring a tutor with us."

Georgia May also has fond memories of hanging out with the other band members’ kids who would go on tour with the Stones, such as Alexandra and Theodora Richards, the youngest children of Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards. "We'd get up to a bit of mischief. We'd order funny food and send it to people who were picky about what they ate on tour, like snails or brains. They used to give us jobs. Rallying people to wake up in the morning or for makeup was a popular job for the little girls."

Georgia May says that her mother is more conservative than her father. Georgia May recently moved out of her mother’s home in London to relocate to New York City’s bohemian Alphabet City neighborhood, and she says that he mother was "freaked out" about where she would be living.

And Georgia May’s verdict on some of her father’s fashion? She admires the clothes that he wore in the 1960s and 1970s, but she doesn’t like a lot of his stage wardrobe: "It looks iconic in pictures, but up close, they're terrible, covered in plastic beads meant to look like rhinestones. My dad has more sparkly stuff than most men."

Georgia May adds that her parents did not have a problem with her posing topless as a model, considering that he mother did much more provocative modeling work back in her supermodel heyday. "My dad's supportive of all my endeavors. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a tightrope walker and a marine biologist, and I think my parents wouldn't be surprised if I did all of those things too."

Interestingly enough, although Georgia May is a model with big ad campaigns and her half-sister Jade has gotten a lot media attention over the years, Georgia May says that Mick’s oldest child, Karis, is "the star of the family because she went to Yale." Karis is probably the most low-profile of Mick’s adult children (if Karis has done any interviews, they’re hard to find, and she is rarely photographed in public), so if Georgia May calls Karis the "star of the family," it sounds like having an Ivy League education in the family carries more weight with Mick than having fame.

[www.examiner.com]

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 17, 2010 05:11

Georgia is sounding much more mature and sensible in this interview than in some of her others, and apart from the teeth, is really becoming extraordinarily beautiful, as far as her bone structure goes.

Quite a touching comment about Karis, the child who had the fewest advantages.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: October 17, 2010 05:37

I wonder why the photographer is having her look up? That's a very unusual angle due to, not the most flattering.

For her face, straight on or down are the preferred angles. IMO.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 17, 2010 05:40

>>apart from the teeth<<

Eh, the "tooth gap" may be wider than most, but not enough to detract from the young girl's beauty.

Date: October 17, 2010 12:57

Edith Grove
>>apart from the teeth<<

Eh, the "tooth gap" may be wider than most, but not enough to detract from the young girl's beauty.

I quite like it.

Date: October 19, 2010 12:53

the video by Hedi Slimane song by Egyptian Hip Hop

Date: October 19, 2010 13:14

Bliss
Georgia is sounding much more mature and sensible in this interview than in some of her others, and apart from the teeth, is really becoming extraordinarily beautiful, as far as her bone structure goes.

Quite a touching comment about Karis, the child who had the fewest advantages.

Those teeth shouldn't be touched, imo. Gives her such a unique personality.

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: October 19, 2010 19:02

She looks so much like her mum !!

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: October 19, 2010 21:11

kittypoo
She looks so much like her mum !!

Do you think so? I was just thinking how she was a clone of Mick!

Karis's wedding
Date: October 19, 2010 21:50

Re: Karis's wedding
Date: October 20, 2010 00:00

She said "It looks iconic in pictures, but up close, they're terrible, covered in plastic beads meant to look like rhinestones. My dad has more sparkly stuff than most men."

Yeah, I could never understand his love for sparcles

Posted by: Layladylay ()
Date: October 20, 2010 02:30

Wow browsing quickly and thought it was GEORGIA SATELLITES! but alas no. confused smiley

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 20, 2010 02:46

proudmary
She said "It looks iconic in pictures, but up close, they're terrible, covered in plastic beads meant to look like rhinestones. My dad has more sparkly stuff than most men."

maybe from David Bowie.

Date: October 20, 2010 11:29

MKjan
proudmary

maybe from David Bowie.

Nope. There was sea of sparcles in 1972 , and Mick saw Bowie for the 1st time in 73

Date: November 3, 2010 17:09

Sun goddesses: Georgia May Jagger and Jerry Hall
Evening Standard Updated 11:47am on 03.11.10

Georgia May Jagger, 18, and her mother Jerry Hall, 54, met to launch an Invisible Zinc sunscreen product in Melbourne.

Georgia May Jagger has told how she teases the daughters of her half-sister, Jade, who are the same age, by telling them to call her "aunty".

She said: "I went to school with Jade's daughters, Amber and Assisi.

"Assisi was in my art class this year. It's funny, we're the same age but I'm her aunt.

"I liked to take the p*** out of her by saying, 'Call me Aunty Georgia'."

The 18-year-old model, who has just appeared on the cover of Vogue Australia and who's father is Mick Jagger, also says she "can't sing for s***."

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: November 3, 2010 18:39

I read that Georgia is only about 5'7" which is surprising 'cause in her photos she looks about 6' tall, like her mama.

I like wonky teeth, but I'm reminded of an old Southern saying, "She looks like she could eat corn through a fence."

I mean no harm, people - she's a beautiful girl, sounds like a nice kid too.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 3, 2010 20:15

Lips = more like Mick's.

Date: November 3, 2010 22:11

Wow, in that last pic she REALLY looks like Mick.

Date: November 3, 2010 22:28

Bliss
Wow, in that last pic she REALLY looks like Mick.

It's amazing, isn't it?

Date: November 3, 2010 23:47

The mother and daughter team hit Melbourne

It took the arrival of Georgia May Jagger and her mother Jerry Hall to lift the fashion factor at this year’s Spring Carnival. They will be judging Fashions on the Field for Myer at Oaks Day, promoting Invisible Zinc and enjoying the buzz from Georgia May’s Vogue Australia cover.
How was the cover shoot for Vogue Australia?
Georgia: “It was great fun, except that I had a cold. The photographer was so friendly and the clothes were just beautiful. I had never worn a gown like the one on the cover (Louis Vuitton, pictured). It was so beautiful.”
Jerry: “And she looks so beautiful.”
Georgia, what was it like walking for Chanel in St.Tropez?
Georgia: “I was a little bit nervous. The best thing was being able to walk in sandals and bare feet. That made it a lot easier. It was great fun. Then I rode on the motorcycle at the end, which ran out of petrol, which was just great, for my first Chanel show!”
You’re judging Fashion’s on the Field. Do you like racewear?
Jerry: “I like a complete look from top to toe and hats with a bit of humour. I love hats by Philip Treacy and Stephen Jones.”
Georgia: “I’ve heard the women go all out. Perhaps I should have packed a lobster hat and done an Isabella Blow.”
You’re working together for Invisible Zinc. How did the relationship begin?
Jerry: “Well we were using the product at my house in the South of France. I’m always looking for cosmetics that use natural products.”
Georgia: “They don’t test the products on animals which is important to me. I also have sensitive skin and can break out easily. This works for me.”
What’s it like teaming up?
Jerry: “Well I don’t get to see her a lot because she’s now studying at university in New York. It’s great to be able to catch up and a surprise that it’s in Australia.”
Georgia: “It’s so much easier doing this with my mother. I’m a lot less nervous with her by my side.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: November 4, 2010 00:39

proudmary
Sun goddesses: Georgia May Jagger and Jerry Hall
Evening Standard Updated 11:47am on 03.11.10

Georgia May Jagger, 18, and her mother Jerry Hall, 54, met to launch an Invisible Zinc sunscreen product in Melbourne.

Georgia May Jagger has told how she teases the daughters of her half-sister, Jade, who are the same age, by telling them to call her "aunty".

She said: "I went to school with Jade's daughters, Amber and Assisi.

"Assisi was in my art class this year. It's funny, we're the same age but I'm her aunt.

"I liked to take the p*** out of her by saying, 'Call me Aunty Georgia'."

The 18-year-old model, who has just appeared on the cover of Vogue Australia and who's father is Mick Jagger, also says she "can't sing for s***."

She's adorable. But I waited until she was 18 to say that. Jerry looks proud. I would be. My daughter's 20 and she's adorable too. Everybody's got ironed hair now, it's like the early '60's all over again.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 5, 2010 00:48

I don't see the Jerry in her at all. I see a lot of Mick though. She should fix her gap!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 5, 2010 12:24

Story about some of the Stones' daughers in today's The Sun (UK paper).

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Posted by: kingkirby ()
Date: November 5, 2010 16:00

don't touch the teeth! Apparently it's the new trend in modelling...

[www.guardian.co.uk]

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: November 5, 2010 16:48

One of the connecting articles mentions that Keith and Angela fell out for some time.

What's that all about? I've heard no mention of this before.

Date: November 8, 2010 12:43

Q & A with Georgia May Jagger
Kate Waterhouse enjoyed a morning tea with the endearing 18-year-old, who chatted about her new career and, of course, her famous family:

What was it like growing up in such a well-known household?

Obviously, it was different – going to concerts and travelling a lot but at home it was kind of like a normal environment. My mum has chickens and we have a sheepdog; we have a little farm set-up going on, so I had a really normal upbringing in that way.

When did you realise your family wasn't average?

When they went through their divorce, I was more aware of the media because I was about eight years old and before that I didn't really see magazines or news papers, so it just changed a little then because people at school became more aware of who I was.

Were you the cool kid at school?

No, not at all. I mean, I always went to the same school from the age of three and, at that age, you don't know that your friends' parents are musicians or whatever, so no one really cared. I was kind of more of a loner type. I wasn't into team sports; I would just hang out with my two close friends and go to art club and stuff like that.

When did you get your first big modelling break?

It was when Hudson [Jeans] called me and asked me to do a campaign and that totally changed everything. At first, I was just modelling for them and now I have my own jeans line. After that, I shot the cover of British Vogue.

What was that like?

It was incredible. I was so nervous about myself and about my body in the beginning and now it all seems a bit easier because you do it so often that it all becomes more normal. It's still pretty crazy when I work with these photographers who I really admire. That's really cool.

Did you always want to be a model?

No, I definitely still want to do other things. I want to be a photographer, so I hope one day to be behind the camera. I'm studying photography at university right now and I actually shot my own self-portraits for i-D magazine last year, so that was really exciting.

Did you ever want to follow in your father's footsteps?

No, I never really did. I have a bit of a problem with stage fright; I don't like singing in crowds. I went on stage once to sing backing vocals at the end of his last tour and that was fun. I love music but I'm not really musical. I tried to learn the guitar and violin and I wasn't really into that. I was more into art and drawing and stuff like that.

Did you used to go to all your dad's concerts?

Yes. When I was younger, they used to take us [on tours] with tutors and we would go for long periods of time. Later, I used to spend the summers going.

Most people think their parents are daggy. Did you?

I totally did and I still think that! People say all the time, 'Your dad is so cool,' but I'm like, 'But they're my parents and they cringe me out all the time.' For me, they are not super-cool because, like, mum is really obsessed with, like, nerdy stuff. She loves her chicken farming, she even reads books about chickens and raising chickens and I always poke fun at her about that. My dad is actually a bit of a history buff.

I always cringe when my parents are on the dance floor but your parents would have all the moves . . .

Yes, it's pretty funny when dad gets on the dance floor because he has got such a, like, I don't know how to describe his moves but let's just say he doesn't go unnoticed, you know what I mean?

What's the best advice your parents have given you?

Always to be yourself and mum always says, 'Don't do what the photographer tells your to do. Just do what you think looks right.'

Where do you live?

I grew up in England but I live in New York. I only just moved there a few months ago and I really like it. It's a bit different but I miss my dogs and my family.

You have a big family. Are you close to all your siblings and half-siblings?

I don't see some of my half-siblings as much as I would like but I live with my sister [Elizabeth] in New York and we are really close. I love when we are all together. I love them all.

[www.smh.com.au]

Date: November 8, 2010 13:29

I too wasn't aware that Keith and Angela had a falling out, and I wonder if it is even true. After Doris died, Keith bought her an estate with an equestrian centre, probably to cheer her up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home